Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's official. I'm extremely old (and Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale is an OAP)

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pyongyang wrote: »
    That's the thing that gets me. The reaction from the children, it really does make you feel infinitely old (well, not as old as Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale who is nearly dead :D).

It's hard to believe 1990, for example, was 22 years ago. Feels like yesterday. :(

Ah no it doesn't, not unless you've been in a coma since. Only thing I remember from 1990 was the World Cup - Packie Bonner's penalty save against Romania and you lot getting dumped out by the Germans on penalties again. :pac:

/Edit: You're Googling for a '66 Bobby Moore pic aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haha, now that I remember, my cousin got the speccy around the same time Italia 90 was on. They kept kicking us off the tv so they could watch matches! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Ah no it doesn't, not unless you've been in a coma since. Only thing I remember from 1990 was the World Cup - Packie Bonner's penalty save against Romania and you lot getting dumped out by the Germans on penalties again. :pac:

Pfft! Shuddup you! :p

It's a genuine indicator of being super old though, when you look at Italia 90 being 22 years ago and remember watching it on the telly vividly. Heck I even remember Shilton leaping to save that free kick and stubbing my toe on the coffee table in a furious rage!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Haha, now that I remember, my cousin got the speccy around the same time Italia 90 was on. They kept kicking us off the tv so they could watch matches! :D

Remember we hung the Irish flag outside the house back when the entire street did the same. We went in to Dublin airport to see the team come back - was incredible the amount of people there and seeing the team on the open top bus (well it was for a youngster anyway).

Speaking of the Speccy - only remember one chap in school that had one. Seemed fun, kind of, rubbish compared to the C64 anyway. :p

/Edit: You're Googling for a '66 Bobby Moore pic aren't you?

I wasn't, but now you mention it:

world-cup-1966.jpg

I tried searching for a photo of Ireland's World Cup winners... then I remembered, they haven't won the World Cup. :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Pfft! Shuddup you! :p

It's a genuine indicator of being super old though, when you look at Italia 90 being 22 years ago and remember watching it on the telly vividly. Heck I even remember Shilton leaping to save that free kick and stubbing my toe on the coffee table in a furious rage!

Em, he didn't save it though. :D

Actually I remember Mexico '86. Brazil losing on penos to Platini's France I think. Oh and a certain Argentine magician, didn't work out too well for you guys that time either. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Some one from boards I was talking to was talking about the great old days of Sega. I mentioned the C64 to him. 'What the hell is a C64'.... :'(

The worst thing is that most Europeans think that the NES was the big 8-bit machine that defined our generation thanks to all the US gaming coverage. The Master System had a bigger foothold in Europe than the NES and even then it was nothing compared to the home computers.

Actually the same person I was talking to above never heard of the 2600 and thought the NES was the first ever games console.

When Atari brought out the 2600 compilation for the PS2 a few years back, I bought it for the kids(and me). I put on the Formula 1 game and the kids looked at the screen, frowned, then looked at me. They wanted to know what the big block with the other smaller blocks at the corners were and what the funny noise was. When I told them that they were the cars and the car noise, they looked at me like I had two heads, in that 'Dad, Seriously?' way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Apparently football's coming home...not sure when it'll get there though :p

Oh and a certain Argentine magician, didn't work out too well for you guys that time either. :p

Yeah well he was a midget buttpedaller, f**k him. :)

Still doesn't take away from the fact England won a world cup and Ireland haven't. :D

Master of the Universe

Remember we hung the Irish flag outside the house back when the entire street did the same. We went in to Dublin airport to see the team come back - was incredible the amount of people there and seeing the team on the open top bus (well it was for a youngster anyway).

There really was an amazing buzz around that world cup. It's one of those cases where it's not just nostalgia speaking either, everyone was literally on a high from it.

I doubt it's something we'll ever experience again in our lifetime!
    Speaking of the Speccy - only remember one chap in school that had one. Seemed fun, kind of, rubbish compared to the C64 anyway. :p

Heh, yeah, it really was archaic stuff. Amazing the fun you can get out of something when you have nothing to compare it against. We thought the games were mind blowing :D

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    There really was an amazing buzz around that world cup. I doubt it's something we'll ever experience again in our lifetime!

You need to qualify for a World Cup first. :D

MEOW! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah well he was a midget buttpedaller, f**k him. :)

Still doesn't take away from the fact England won a world cup and Ireland haven't. :D

We haven't won the world cup, it's true. But we're Irish and not English so will always be winners in that sense :D:D

Steve SI wrote: »
    We haven't won the world cup, it's true.

It's not working out for ye at the Olympics either... :pac:

Master of the Universe

You need to qualify for a World Cup first. :D

MEOW! :D

And as long as French men have hands, we never will :(

Hah, on the subject of that, a cousin of mine was so angry after that match that he decided to burn a picture of Thierry Henry.

The mistake he made was videoing it and uploading it to youtube.

The thing ended up getting millions of hits. It was even shown on CNN over in the states.

Random people still recognise him in the street. Poor lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Wow , 1990 !
    I remember us Dutch barely beating the Irish two years before that in Germany but we ended up becoming European champions, for some strange reason I somehow remember the Irish being led by a Giraffe that tournament .
    Dunno why :confused:

Malcolm van BASTARD!!! scored the winner didn't he? Or was it Rudd Gullit?

564397_5268_front2wx83.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Wim Kieft , the most terrible lucky header ever scored right at the end of the game :D

Jack Charlton was very popular in Holland in those days , no joke !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I think I had some distant relative who was playing for Ireland back in those days. John Sheridan or Tom Sheridan or something like that, he was crap so no biggie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Sly Spy however was an excellent game, but again, crippled by a crap multiload.
    Love that game as well, think it's a great port of the game!

Ziplining from one deck to another was awesome, and parachuting down to the city at the very start of the game was exciting also!
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The worst thing is that most Europeans think that the NES was the big 8-bit machine that defined our generation thanks to all the US gaming coverage.

Yeah it annoys me also when the NES is the only console associated with 8-bit, especially when it comes to chiptunes.

The SID chip is superior to the sound chip in the NES, but doesn't get much recognition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to play pong years ago as a child on a neighbours Binatone pong clone. 76 I think it was. Not gaming on a Difference Engine as some would have you believe!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I used to play pong years ago as a child on a neighbours Binatone pong clone. 76 I think it was. Not gaming on a Difference Engine as some would have you believe, that was during my infancy.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel and I were friends at school. We played 'ships' in the playground during break time. He started ridin' Queen Victoria so our friendship quickly evaporated... :(

Wasn't that around the time you started your Saturday job?

mod2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No picnic playing Angry Birds on one of Babbages contraptions, kept getting my index finger caught in the gears!

But, please, I'm only 40!

My childhood was dominated by chart music like this!

instead of this

I think I would have been better off in the 1890's

That said there was...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Buggy Boy. Probably my fave game on the c64!

Advertisement