Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's official. I'm extremely old (and Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale is an OAP)

Options
  • 01-08-2012 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

I just watched this video on the BBC and shed a tear at the naievety of today's youth.... then cried in to my tea as it just dawned on me how exospherically OLD I actually am.

It's all over. This is the end. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19055707

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maybe someday other truths will dawn on you, like for instance the fact that Darius is a poor mans Gradius :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Maybe someday other truths will dawn on you, like for instance the fact that Darius is a poor mans Gradius :P

4992760500_bee28ea6b7.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hey, I resent the old jokes!
    I'm hip, down with the youff!
    I listen to the rap music, I like hipputy hop, stock aiken and waterman are the bomb so they are!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hey, I resent the old jokes!
    I listen to the rap music, I like hipputy hop, stock aiken and waterman are the bomb so they are!

Wrong! It's all about looking as non human as possible and swearing repeatedly while not making any sense these days.

Aside from that I'm glad I know about retro stuff and not just playing COD or Halo or whatever.

Aside from that I'm glad I know that Darius is better than Gradius and Salmonhamburger.

FYP. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    FYP. :)

Nah, Darius sucks a$$. I even gave away one of my Alphas for nothing the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Right I'm still young, well I'm actually turning 23 in about 10 minutes, and I still think the commodore 64 is the shizz!

Does that make you feel a bit better Pyong?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Happy Birthday Jack Man, didn't realize you were so young!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yes with my rugged good looks most people think I'm a rugged 30 somthing

Thanks for the Birthday wishes!

Felicitations sir! It makes me feel slightly better!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I just watched this video on the BBC and shed a tear at the naievety of today's youth.... then cried in to my tea as it just dawned on me how exospherically OLD I actually am.

It's all over. This is the end. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19055707

Yep, I bought Buggy boy and Last Ninja 2 way back when. I have to say Last Ninja still looks amazing when you consider the power of the C64.

I seem to have blocked out any bad memories relating to failed loads. (Although I'm sure they happened offten) but I do recall having to bring my tape deck in for repair to have the heads realigned every now and again.

I'm off to play Barbarian on Vice and listen to the ocean loader on repeat for a few hours. Damn I love that machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was playing Tau Ceti back then, as well as Bobby Bearing and Mercenary, good days indeed.
    Schoolyard discussions on what games were great, what computers sucked....
    You just can't have those conversations anymore.
    Mostly because the you'll get arrested for being a man in a schoolyard talking to boys...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think I ever had a load fail error. Usually the game would just get stuck at the loading screen indefinitely, although that might just be because the game has terrible load times, or else the game would load horribly glitched although this sometimes brought it's own hilarity like when Street Fighter 2 loaded for me once and everything was fine except every time I hit the enemy the would split into 6 sprites and fly across the screen as if they exploded. I that was pretty much the only enjoyment I got out of that game.

LoGiE wrote: »
    I seem to have blocked out any bad memories relating to failed loads.

One game ruined my life with failed loads and an atrocious multiload. Nightbreed.

What an awful game that was. I got it bundled with my Night Moves C64. Successfully loaded it about 5 times, never again after that. Sly Spy however was an excellent game, but again, crippled by a crap multiload.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wrong! It's all about looking as non human as possible and swearing repeatedly while not making any sense these days.

mmmmm......Nicki Minaj

to quote Granpa Simpson..

http://youtu.be/saPhxZZQCWk

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    !

Hip is a body part not a state of mind - as my 19 year old daugther likes to tell me! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

One game ruined my life with failed loads and an atrocious multiload. Nightbreed.

What an awful game that was. I got it bundled with my Night Moves C64. Successfully loaded it about 5 times, never again after that. Sly Spy however was an excellent game, but again, crippled by a crap multiload.

Ohh god that brings back bad memories. I got that C64 bundle as well.
    Night moves...what a pile of crap..I really tried to like it.Great cover though I remember

On a brighter note, I liked the Nightbreed movie, some great makeup work in that film, the book Cabal wasn't bad either, the acting was, sadly, pitiful, even Cronenberg turning up for more than a cameo wasn't great.
    But, then, Barker stuff is always, if not great film, at least always interesting to watch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

At least you got Shadow Warriors and Midnight Resistance too. Both excellent games that more then made up for that dog **** Nightbreed.

Certainly a better selection then the Light Gun Fantastic Pack. The only highlighst being SEUCK and Batman The Caped Crusader.

Midnight Resistance was an awesome port on the C64. I played that a lot with my Night Moves pack. My favourite though was Sly Spy, loved that game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Midnight Resistance was an awesome port on the C64. I played that a lot with my Night Moves pack. My favourite though was Sly Spy, loved that game.

Siamese123 on the hiscore screen & the screen flashes...infinite lives as far as I remember for your next game. Save all six family members & your a C64 hero

Anyone remember the ad for Game Over for the C64, featured a wardrobe malfunction that was then covered over by either a box out or a bit of air brushing!
    Here's the censored art,
    game_over.jpg

Master of the Universe

Looks like all they did was rip off a cover of Heavy Metal

heavymetalmay1984.jpg

Yep, that's what wiki says, so it must be true!
    A lot of controversy at the time, don't remember the game being that good anyhow, a late comer to the Speccy anyways, by 87 it was off the boil, with the ST and Amiga taking over.

Master of the Universe

I would have been playing the speccy around 89/90. Must have been a hand me down from someone upgrading!

Even though I had a C64, I was always under the impression that, aside from Commodore Format, Spectrum magazines on the whole were better and had better cover tapes.

I never bought any obviously as I never owned a Spectrum, but flipping through them in WH Smiths on a Saturday morning made me think so anyway... :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was fine until 4:29 when the girl says "it's not really amazing from our point of view, well its just, but for them it must have been pretty incredible"

It's like she's talking about cavemen discovering fire :D

That's the thing that gets me. The reaction from the children, it really does make you feel infinitely old (well, not as old as Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale who is nearly dead :D).

It's hard to believe 1990, for example, was 22 years ago. Feels like yesterday. :(

Master of the Universe

I still can't get over the fact that the Christmas morning I ran downstairs to find a Megadrive hooked up and the Sonic start screen on the TV ready to go was 20 years ago. 20 years ago!!!

Not only was it a new console, it was a new release. I'll always think of that game as being a new release...not feckin 20 years old. That's enough to drive my sanity over the edge.

• Advertisement

Some one from boards I was talking to was talking about the great old days of Sega. I mentioned the C64 to him. 'What the hell is a C64'.... :'(

The worst thing is that most Europeans think that the NES was the big 8-bit machine that defined our generation thanks to all the US gaming coverage. The Master System had a bigger foothold in Europe than the NES and even then it was nothing compared to the home computers.

Actually the same person I was talking to above never heard of the 2600 and thought the NES was the first ever games console.

Advertisement