Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communal/Gym Changing Rooms: Do they make you feel uncomfortable?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Not a hope. Too worried about splashes and my flip flops contaminating everything else. Seriously, feet really bother me.

Ok well that's just way over the top neurotics in my opinion. I don't bother with flip flops even, all my life I've been swimming or going to the gym, 30 years later never caught anything. Live a little!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I don't bother with flip flops even, all my life I've been swimming or going to the gym, 30 years later never caught anything. Live a little!

Yikes - thats just a step (pardon the pun) too far imo! People spit and cough etc in the showers, I dont want to walk in any of that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Yikes - thats just a step (pardon the pun) too far imo! People spit and cough etc in the showers, I dont want to walk in any of that!

In men's showers etc I never see anyone in flip flops, not in my gym in London anyway which is full of very well groomed homosexuals for that matter!

In men's showers etc I never see anyone in flip flops, not in my gym in London anyway which is full of very well groomed homosexuals for that matter!

Really? My hubby is in the same gym as me and he said hardly anyone doesnt wear flip flops in the mens showers.

Wouldnt matter to me anyway, Id be wearing them even if no one was. Ive no idea how clean a shower floor is, or the floor that I have to walk across to get to it. I wouldnt walk through a public toilet barefoot and Id see a gym changing room floor in the same light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Das Kitty wrote: »
    When I was in Iceland at the Blue Lagoon, there's a rule where you must shower completely naked and use the soap they provide on all areas before entering. It makes sense seeing as the water is at body temperature and how many people use it that they would take precautions like this.

The number of UK and Irish people who would not take their togs off was staggering. They have people checking to make sure you comply and they must be killed asking people to please obey the rule.

I hate communal changing areas, showers, etc, Das if I had been completely looking forward to going to that lagoon and got there and found out you have to be naked no way in hell would I do it, wouldn't even be disappointed because there would never be a chance of me possibly using that shower.

I used to hate the communal changing rooms in Penneys too, would always just buy things instead of trying them on. I have no answers for why I'm so uncomfortable in this type of situation, I just am. I'm generally pretty uncomfortable in bikinis, swimwear, state of undress, etc, I put off trying massages for years because of it, only started getting them 3 years ago and still pretty much hate the whole undressed part of it.

In general I like to be in clothes though, so maybe that's it. You know how some people sleep naked, hate socks in bed because they feel restricted? I love nothing more than tight leggings, tight long sleeve top, socks, Uggs, etc when hanging around the house, and I love socks and duvets, the more layers and the more wrapped up I feel the better, like swaddling a baby!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Don't have a problem with it, the only thing I'm bloody sure to do is wear flip-flops in the shower. I have a lot more body confidence now than I used to, and also a major lack of giving a fcuk when I'm getting changed at the gym or pool. It's a women's changing room, nobody's seeing anything they haven't seen before.

Acoshla wrote: »
    I love nothing more than tight leggings, tight long sleeve top, socks, Uggs, etc when hanging around the house, and I love socks and duvets, the more layers and the more wrapped up I feel the better, like swaddling a baby!

This has to be one of my favourite posts ever. I relate so much!! Even though I dont mind being naked at all, I do love that swaddled feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have no problem being naked in changing rooms, sure we all have the same bits. Although in the gym I used to work in one guy complained about his sons seeing naked men in the men's changing room. He was middle easten, so maybe it was a cultural thing. I'd be of the opinion that kids seeing people naked in changing rooms is a good thing. It teaches them that 1) your body is nothing to be ashamed of and 2) bodies come in all shapes, sizes, and hair levels.

And regarding verrucas: I went swimming every week from birth till I was 18, then I started working as a swimming teacher, and then admin for the swim club. I recently got my first ever verruca, and I haven't been near a pool or gym since I was made redundant 12 months ago. Unless the gym you go to is woefully filthy it's highly unlikely that you'll pick up anything. People did used to threaten to sue us over their children's verrucae though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I have a towel with velcro on the top for the win. Can velcro it up and wander around hands free getting dressed.

Only started this communal changing thing earlier this year. At first couldn't get over the amount of flesh on display, I saw more boob that first day than I'd seen in my life up to that date. I huddled under my towel hiding everything but now I care much less. I realise that noone is looking at me or caring what I look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Do you think it's an Irish/British thing? Europeans seem to be far more comfortable with nudity, saunas are mixed sex and naked in Germany for e.g.

I think it's countries with a lack of Summer. Since moving here, I see my body a lot more and wear a lot less because of the weather. I'm more aware of it and more comfortable with it because I see it so often. It's not a shock to the system to see myself naked anymore. When I lived in Ireland and the UK, I almost forgot I had a body I'd wrap it up so often to keep the cold out, even in the Summer time.

Now I just don't give a fook. I go to the public pools here in Spain and nobody bats and eyelid while everyone of all shapes, sizes and age groups whip off their clothes and throw on their bikini. Many women even sunbathe topless and most of us are very far from perfection (amazing what a tan can do!).

I don't think it's anything to do with being less liberal-minded or any of that rubbish, it's more down to practicality. You need to wear less here or you'll be exceedingly uncomfortable and sweaty, so you see your body more and you grow to accept it more. You've a more "fook it" attitude because you kind of have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Yeah they make me uncomfortable.. Just don't like the idea of getting naked in front of strangers, even though they wouldn't generally be looking. I don't go to the gym but even when I was in school and the using the school gym for P.E., there was a changing area but like none of the girls used it, they'd either go into the toilets to change or go into the showers and close the curtain to change. I think it is a confidence issue for most people who do it, but at school I think it was just that no girl wanted to be the first to use the common changing area or something

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

I do feel uncomfortable because of past experiences. A woman came up and asked if I please wanted to cover up because she found my scars unsightly to look at and said it was scaring her child(I was in a swimming pool) I dont know why it effected me as much as it did, I look quite eccentric so I'm used to people staring but that comment hit home hard and I never went to a pool again and avoid communal rooms like the plague now,because I do feel like everyone is staring at me :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    A woman came up and asked if I please wanted to cover up because she found my scars unsightly to look at and said it was scaring her child(I was in a swimming pool) I dont know why it effected me as much as it did
    Of course it did J. It would affect pretty much anyone. What was that silly cow thinking? Jesus some people shouldn't be let out. I'd be pretty sure her kid wouldn't give much of a fook beyond curiosity. Of course the mother making such a song and dance about it, told the kid it's alright to make a song and dance about things like this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Wibbs wrote: »
    Of course it did J. It would affect pretty much anyone. What was that silly cow thinking? Jesus some people shouldn't be let out. I'd be pretty sure her kid wouldn't give much of a fook beyond curiosity. Of course the mother making such a song and dance about it, told the kid it's alright to make a song and dance about things like this.

Rude beyond belief, she should have kept her yap shut and also could have used this as a perfect example for her child that none of us are perfect.

I lived in Sapin for years and am completely comfortable being naked in gyms, most folk really just want to get in and get out of the changing room without too much dawdling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I do feel uncomfortable because of past experiences. A woman came up and asked if I please wanted to cover up because she found my scars unsightly to look at and said it was scaring her child(I was in a swimming pool) I dont know why it effected me as much as it did, I look quite eccentric so I'm used to people staring but that comment hit home hard and I never went to a pool again and avoid communal rooms like the plague now,because I do feel like everyone is staring at me :(

Wow! What a wagon. It's her rudeness and intolerance that are making her child scared, not the sight of other people's bodies.

Terrible that a petty small-minded person can have such a profound effect. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

g'em wrote: »
    I was in a rather posh spa last week (guest passes ftw!) and I found myself covering up slightly, but it was more to save other people from the terrifying sight of my stretch marks and wobbly bits :D

I suppose I used to have a problem with communal areas, but then I realised that (a) no body is perfect (b) everyone is equally as worried about their wobbly bums as I am and (c) no-one actually looks at anyone else anyway.

I dunno how comfortable I'd be showering naked in a shower area with no partitions, but stripping off and re-clothing is no biggie.
    'No-one looks at anyone else anyway' -- You were looking !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Ah that's just horrible. :( What an absolute cow ... and I suppose she must be physically flawless in every way herself, to go passing such comments. :rolleyes:
    noddyone2 wrote: »

There's a difference between looking and seeing ... of course, you'll see the other women there, unless you shield your eyes with one hand while getting dressed with the other! :pac: The point people are making is that, in a changing room environment, while you're aware of other people around you and might see them in your peripheral vision, you're not actually looking at them or judging their appearance or anything! No one cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

From a male perspective, Im not bothered by communal changing areas, not too gone on the idea of open showers. The immature awkwardness when trying to wash your bits in front of a stranger hasnt fully gone away, usually just have a quick rinse if theres no partitions.

Other than that the only other awkwardness comes from the fact that there seems to be an old man rule stating you must spend 20 minutes standing around naked talking to each other every time you go to the gym. Usually with their arse about a foot from my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Wow! What a wagon. It's her rudeness and intolerance that are making her child scared, not the sight of other people's bodies.

Terrible that a petty small-minded person can have such a profound effect. :(

Crazy isn't it? I was never bothered by them before that incident because I've had them for as long as I can remember, but after that comment I kept on wondering if I'm really that scary to look at and how long people had been talking about it without me knowing. It turned me quite paranoid, which is a bit crazy because rationally I know this was just one crazy woman's comment and other people probably never noticed. Blegh, I really need to get over it :(

noddyone2 wrote: »

Where in g'em's post does she mention looking at any other people in the changing rooms?
    It's her rudeness and intolerance that are making her child scared.

This x 1000. Jeeze.

Jenneke it's not alwasy easy to be rational. It's just such a pity one ignorant bint has affected your enjoyment of something :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

When I was younger (early teens) I'd always get changed in the toilet cubicle; I hated my body and I couldn't bear to have everyone looking at it - I know they weren't but in my mind they were.

I'm a bit older now and I'll happily get changed in front of others. I think getting bikini waxes rids you of your fear of people seeing your bits! Now I wouldn't be striding around in all my nekkid glory, or doing any contortionist-moisturising, but who cares if someone sees a bit of boob here or there?

It can be a bit awkward if you see someone you know, but that's just good old Irish prudishness for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I'm not too bad when it comes to getting changed in public, although the gym/swim I use now wouldn't tolerate nudity I reckon. Must find out :)

I remember going to Achill adventure place in 5th year at school. Our scary P.E. teacher stripped off in the communal shower and started roaring at all of us to do the same. I've never seen a group of girls run so fast, there was an actual pile-up trying to get out the door away from the crazy naked lady!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

yes they make me feel uncomfortable, sad to say. I'm still a teenager so maybe that's just it but I've never liked them. I've never had enough body confidence for it tbh. yeah its part of an irrational fear that everyone is staring and tbh in school and stuff in the changing rooms I feel a bit intimidated by the other girls. I feel no shame in getting changed in the other cubicles even toilet cubicles. I see no harm in it and if anyone stares as I go into them I honestly don't care at least I can get changed without constantly worrying/being paranoid and it makes things a lot quicker for me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

My take on it might be a bit odd. I have zero problem in a communal changing area if the other people there also have no problem. So if most of the other people are stripping and changing without being bothered about covering up I'll happily get changed and not bother about keeping a towel around me as I change. However if the other people in the changing room are being a bit prudish about it, it's like their prudishness infects me and I try to keep covered up too.

I guess I don't mind other people seeing me naked if it's somewhere that being seen naked is normal. But I'm not ok with being seen as the exhibitionist weirdo around a bunch of people who are keeping themselves covered up. I do find it a bit annoying that so many people don't consider a single sex changing room some place that it's normal to be a bit naked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Do you feel uncomfortable getting changed at the gym/pool like that?
    Does it make you uncomfortable when people just take off their clothes without any hesitation?

It's quite simple it ranges from being self conscious to some people having very traumatic and damaging experiences so they feel very vulnerable.

No it doesnt bother me one bit if people want to walk around naked.

I am not completely comfortable in the womens changing area, my family were not very nurturing about my body so I get this stabbing pain and panicky about people seeing me naked its horrible, not because I look bad but because I feel vulnerable.

I just want privacy when I'm getting naked okay, is that too much to ask.
    Why couldn't they have built cubicles if they were going to the hassle of building a gym.

:(

I could get over it, but I don't want to and its never something I will actively want to do, privacy is always a preference.

(oh yeah and I have no issue getting changed when someone else is there but its the fear of someone walking in or coming near you when you're naked)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Acoshla wrote: »
    I hate communal changing areas, showers, etc, Das if I had been completely looking forward to going to that lagoon and got there and found out you have to be naked no way in hell would I do it, wouldn't even be disappointed because there would never be a chance of me possibly using that shower.

I used to hate the communal changing rooms in Penneys too, would always just buy things instead of trying them on. I have no answers for why I'm so uncomfortable in this type of situation, I just am. I'm generally pretty uncomfortable in bikinis, swimwear, state of undress, etc, I put off trying massages for years because of it, only started getting them 3 years ago and still pretty much hate the whole undressed part of it.

In general I like to be in clothes though, so maybe that's it. You know how some people sleep naked, hate socks in bed because they feel restricted? I love nothing more than tight leggings, tight long sleeve top, socks, Uggs, etc when hanging around the house, and I love socks and duvets, the more layers and the more wrapped up I feel the better, like swaddling a baby!

I think this is a brave and honest post. I've noticed that people can be a bit pompous about this subject, starting sentences with "Oh, well on the continent..." and implying that people who don't like to get changed around others are backward or conservative. Why does it matter if someone doesn't like to get nekkid around others? You're not more cultured if you don't mind! And other cultures are different, we are not them, it's more normal to cover here. So what?

This should be in the inappropriate comments thread. :eek::(
    iguana wrote: »
    I do find it a bit annoying that so many people don't consider a single sex changing room some place that it's normal to be a bit naked in.

Why would that annoy you? People are different.

Because, as I explained in the rest of my post, their discomfort makes me very uncomfortable. I don't want to feel like I am expected to cover up in a changing room, I just want to get changed. I don't want to be made to feel like I am doing something wrong for using a changing room in the way it is intended to be used.

Because, as I explained in the rest of my post, their discomfort makes me very uncomfortable. I don't want to feel like I am expected to cover up in a changing room, I just want to get changed. I don't want to be made to feel like I am doing something wrong for using a changing room in the way it is intended to be used.

As someone who doesn't like being naked in the changing rooms, because I'm not comfortable with my body, I can tell you that I have absolutely no issue with other people being naked. It's my body I have an issue with, not yours :)

Plenty of people do though. Even on this thread there are comments criticising women for not covering up. And I've experienced a lot of changing room situations where a woman who didn't cover up leaves and the rest of the room starts bashing her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

So just change. Don't overthink it. If you offend people, so be it.
    Plenty of people do though. Even on this thread there are comments criticising women for not covering up. And I've experienced a lot of changing room situations where a woman who didn't cover up leaves and the rest of the room starts bashing her.

A lot, really? Colour me dubious.

Advertisement