Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 - Anyone watching this again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Oh right. I assumed when you said back to back that you meant silent before the break and silent after the break to bring it back from commercial. Would seem I didn't miss anything then!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you had missed both those moments, you definitely mustn't have been paying attention :P

But yeah, as above. Meant at the end of the episodes. They rarely use the silent clock. 11 times, according to the Wiki.

http://24.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_clock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Started Season One again last Friday. Hoping to do all eight in the 11 weeks and five days until the new series starts! I only watched S6 again last year though so don't know if I want to put myself through that one again.

Eight episodes in right now. Love this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

11 Weeks to watch 24 are you mad?:eek:
    It only takes 8 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Johnny31

catn wait for the new series... must watch series 8 again to get me ready for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I gave up half way through season 7. Just couldn't stand the president. but I watched season 8 on Netflix last month to be up to date for the miniseries. Was worth it to see jack go Kray Kray.
    Pity Rack Baur's dead though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Anyone else really hoping Charles Logan reappears at some point?
    He never got the silent clock treatment after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Season 5-7 are the Metal Gear Solid seasons.

YoungSnake-1_zps7e24a4f4.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Gave up halfway through S2. Too much filler and something random always happens to unnecessarily drag out the story. From reading here maybe i'm missing something. But I can't imagine going back to it. Filing it with BSG as too much filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

lordgoat wrote: »
    Gave up halfway through S2. Too much filler and something random always happens to unnecessarily drag out the story. From reading here maybe i'm missing something. But I can't imagine going back to it. Filing it with BSG as too much filler.

Here's the thing it reminds me of the 00's hysteria (when I was between the ages of 10-20) over terrorism and those earlier seasons remind me of the time when everybody had the USA's back after 9/11 until their methods become more and more OTT and perverse. It's a a definite cultural document and touchstone.

I came into it late in season 4 on RTE 2 back in 2004/2005, and I didn't remember much except that it was absolutely thrilling and so pertinent(to a 14 year old), but never kept up with, in fact I groaned in the passing years growing up, whenever I would capture a second or two on TV (what you seriously mean it's on season 7 of this ****e?)

Last year I finally decided and now it's probably my in my 5-6 TV shows ever.

My favourite are The Wire, Friday Night Lights, Jericho, Six Feet Under and BSG.

It nowhere dares asks questions as uncomfortable or universal as BSG, but I love 24 for different reasons, yet's it's almost as gruelling, exhausting to watch as BSG. Normally despise I filler but for some reason, it all feels part of the adventure on 24, like a OTT nightmare that the characters are on. You feel lethargic with them

No show I've ever watched is plot, plot,plot like 24. Sometimes it's amazing fly be the seat of you pants writing that leads to excellent moments, followed by hilarious yet always entertaining diversions, yet the cheese and camp is played totally straight, making it somehow work.

Sometimes I imagine the writers *high fiving* each other just to get their characters out of a jam, and are writing to deadline's just to get the script in the can. LOL :D I applaud them

Plus I love the yellow summer haze, heat that LA is bathed for the show. Very atmospheric and it's a character in itself.

I wish Jack Bauer becomes the American James Bond, he does in fact in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Up to episode 5 of season 1 now. It's fun revisiting it and easy to forget how exciting and dynamic it was back then. Plenty in TVland has borrowed from its playbook. I hated Palmer's wife when first watching back in the day, not sure that'll change this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭pah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Season 1 rewatch, it's Misha Collins as a long-haired assassin!

I finished season 1 and jumped forward to season 6, which is where I ditched the show back in the day. I've struggled with it in parts, even now towards the end - two episodes to go. I know 6 has a pretty poor/mixed reputation...very much 24 not firing on all cylinders. Great to see everyone using ordinary mobiles before smartphones kicked in. :P

I finished season 1 and jumped forward to season 6, which is where I ditched the show back in the day. I've struggled with it in parts, even now towards the end - two episodes to go. I know 6 has a pretty poor/mixed reputation...very much 24 not firing on all cylinders. Great to see everyone using ordinary mobiles before smartphones kicked in. :P

Yeah season 6 is only alright, too many forgettable characters in it for me but I enjoyed Wayne Palmer as President and thought Peter McNicol as Tom Lennox, he was excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Finish season 5 last week and already half way through Day 6, after that I'll go onto 7 & maybe 8.

I'm kind of struggling to find fault with this season to be honest giving the criticism it has got and thats coming straight after watching the 5th.

If I was to really nit pick though I would say I wasn't too into the way that Wayne Palmer became President yet at them same time I liked the connection to David Palmer.

Tom Lennox was brilliant, a very intelligent individual who knew what was best. Powers Boothe as Vice President Daniels was another great casting, always likes him in movies.

Mike Doyle would probably get my vote for worst 24 character of all time, up there with Terri Bauer anyway, this would be my biggest gripe with season 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I tried season 6 and gave up on it twice about midway.
    Can't explain why - found it dated somewhat (CITs latest tech was meh!).
    I think I was also tired of those on the political side.

I skipped ahead to Redemption and Day 7. Felt fresher!
    Much better option, no regrets, no problem picking up the story.
    Really enjoyed both and have the latest season to watch when I have time.

Finish season 5 last week and already half way through Day 6, after that I'll go onto 7 & maybe 8.

I'm kind of struggling to find fault with this season to be honest giving the criticism it has got and thats coming straight after watching the 5th.

If I was to really nit pick though I would say I wasn't too into the way that Wayne Palmer became President yet at them same time I liked the connection to David Palmer.

Tom Lennox was brilliant, a very intelligent individual who knew what was best. Powers Boothe as Vice President Daniels was another great casting, always likes him in movies.

Mike Doyle would probably get my vote for worst 24 character of all time, up there with Terri Bauer anyway, this would be my biggest gripe with season 6.

Thought Doyle was pretty good myself. I didnt like the CTU dynamic, thought yer one Nadia (although hot) was a very forgettable character. Was also a bit ridiculous to have Bauer staggering off the plane from China having not spoken in 18 months, and two hours later hes leading the search effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

There was just so much in Series Six which felt like we had been there before. Nuke going off, use of the 25th amendment, CTU mole, attack on CTU, I think this was the third series in a row where they used the exact same 'attractive female at CTU is falsely accused of being a mole' plot-device.

I didn't like that out of all the people in the US the mastermind behind the events of Day Five happened to be related to Jack. Even in a show which exists on the premise that its audience will suspend its disbelief that one was a stretch.

Plus I thought they really were feeling the effects of killing off so many cast members in the couple of seasons before. The new cast didn't quite work that year.

It had some epic moments though - most of them at the start of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Only started and finished season 9 over the weekend, it simply cannot end like that!

Anyways, it whet the appetite, so I closed my eyes and picked a season to re watch, lucked out with season 5 :) Show is still up there in my all time favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Loved 24 myself - can anyone recommend a similar type show for me to watch? Have seen "The Unit", and "The Last Ship" recently, which would be roughly along the same lines. Any other suggestions?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

kelbal wrote: »
    Loved 24 myself - can anyone recommend a similar type show for me to watch? Have seen "The Unit", and "The Last Ship" recently, which would be roughly along the same lines. Any other suggestions?

thanks

Have you looked at Legends on TNT? Only started recently.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2402137/

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Have you looked at Legends on TNT? Only started recently.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2402137/

will check it out, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kelbal wrote: »

thanks

Check out The Shield, a show that actually improves every single season

Used to weather as an excuse to watch Redemption - enjoyed it. The new president's soon seems like a bit of a tool.

I have to say season 7 is pretty great. It's got all things you'd expect from 24, mental conspiracy and all. I'm only at 7.10.

They're really putting Walker through the meat grinder.

Jack in the
    Oval Office was great. When President Taylor was asking about his loyalties: 'with all due respect, Madame President, ask around'.
    One of the best lines from the show. It's a wonder he doesn't shout at these people - 'this, right here, this is the job'. Guess his actions speak for themselves, eh?

A mole couple? Pair of muppets! :pac: Mind you, I think almost everyone who is dodgy this season has had some lover/relationship as a loose end...

Larry Moss must be the most frustrated FBI agent on the planet. :pac:

Oh, the president's daughter, the little wagon. :mad:

Quite liked day 7 overall. The last few episodes before the finale did feel a little like they were scrambling to fill time, reluctant though I am to use the word 'filler.' Jack being quasi-superhuman well, it's 24, after all. Tony -
    a very broken man, I suppose.
    The best scene was undoubtedly Jack and Renee
    just before he was taken to hospital
    , very well done. I'd say the Jack/Renee pairing is one of the best season long partnerships of any shows around, really. She absorbed his mindset as the season went along, culminating in
    her moment with Will Patton (Big Bad with several seasons worth of blood on his hands),
    she became Jack long before that, really.

Aaron Pierce - legend, basically.

• Advertisement

Quite liked day 7 overall. The last few episodes before the finale did feel a little like they were scrambling to fill time, reluctant though I am to use the word 'filler.' Jack being quasi-superhuman well, it's 24, after all. Tony -
    a very broken man, I suppose.
    The best scene was undoubtedly Jack and Renee
    just before he was taken to hospital
    , very well done. I'd say the Jack/Renee pairing is one of the best season long partnerships of any shows around, really. She absorbed his mindset as the season went along, culminating in
    her moment with Will Patton (Big Bad with several seasons worth of blood on his hands),
    she became Jack before long before that, really.

Aaron Pierce - legend, basically.

Season 7 is very solid - few too many twists, I thought, but overall it was great. Enjoy season 8, another good one! :)

Advertisement