Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

life hacks?

Options
  • 28-07-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

just watched this video on the irish independent website and am wondering what 'life hacks' do you recommend?

http://www.independent.ie/video/video-have-you-seen/want-to-make-your-life-easier-3181903.html

my few cleaning related ones: you can remove odor from your hands by rubbing them against stainless steel.
    Spray petrol on your car tyres to make them look brand new again.
    I tend to leave my glove box in my car open when i park in dodgey areas to show there is nothing to rob inside..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

To look here ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=923

But on topic, white vinegar is actually really good for so many things. That tip in the vid with the shower head bag is crap, just take the whole head off (unscrew from hose) and stick it into an empty cut off juice carton and pour the vinegar in. Let sit overnight. The next day it's as new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Quick way to change your duvet cover. Take off old duvet cover. Turn new duvet cover inside out, grab the top of your duvet cover on each side, grab duvet on each side and slide cover on. Ah sure here is a vid to explain it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aaVB4qVvew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

biko wrote: »
    To look here ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=923

But on topic, white vinegar is actually really good for so many things. That tip in the vid with the shower head bag is crap, just take the whole head off (unscrew from hose) and stick it into an empty cut off juice carton and pour the vinegar in. Let sit overnight. The next day it's as new.

Yup - I had mold growing on the carpet of my car last winter, and sprayed it down with vinegar and scrubbed it with a hard thistle brush. Job done. No more mold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Used chip fat oil makes a great lube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Pour a glass of coke (full sugar kind) into your toilet bowl, and let sit until next morning.
    Flush toilet, bowl will be cleaned to perfection and look like brand new again.

(God knows what it does to our stomachs :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Lollers wrote: »
    Quick way to change your duvet cover. Take off old duvet cover. Turn new duvet cover inside out, grab the top of your duvet cover on each side, grab duvet on each side and slide cover on. Ah sure here is a vid to explain it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aaVB4qVvew

Yes! It used to take me so long to do it the other way until a friend told me about this method!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ghandee wrote: »
    Pour a glass of coke (full sugar kind) into your toilet bowl, and let sit until next morning.

It's broken down immediately in our stomachs though, then shipped off to the liver for sorting withing 2 hours...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

It makes the inside of your stomach really, really clean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

It makes the inside of your stomach really, really clean?

As clean as my toilet bowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

As clean as my toilet bowl?

That depends, are you a fan of urophilia and / or coprophilia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

As I said in another thread - put shaving foam on a mirror prior to showering; when you're done, wipe the foam from the mirror and there you go - it can't fog up and you're free to shave your face / genitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

banana skins inside are awesome for polishing shoes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,867 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

If you've no shoe polish,or banana skins :) the Back to Black spray you get for cars shines shoes up brilliantly!! black shoes only tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Cheer loudly at 8pm each Saturday to fool the neighbours into thinking you have won the Lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Save a fortune on pesky fuel bills and be good to the environment, get your kids to push your car everywhere. Stop them getting exhausted by removing the back doors and letting them jump in for downhill sections.

Avoid confusion at roundabouts by using your hazard lights to indicate you're going straight ahead. Expect car horn beeps of thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    If you've no shoe polish,or banana skins :) the Back to Black spray you get for cars shines shoes up brilliantly!! black shoes only tho :)

Hair gel works too as shoe polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

White vinegar is good for getting rid of weeds .

for instant shine to your shoes , dip a tissue in cooking oil and spread over shoes ( it really works )

I'm sure I'll think of a few more later ...

zerks wrote: »
    Hair gel works too as shoe polish.
    And, conversly, shoe polish works well as hair dye. It also gives you that extra mature yet distinguished look. People who giggle when you pass are merely expressing their sexual attraction to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Cheer loudly at 8pm each Saturday to fool the neighbours into thinking you have won the Lottery.

hang a very large fishing rod over your neighbours window to fool them into thinking the live in a goldfish bowl

support Team Ireland and the Olympic legacy by eating only MacDonalds and Cadbury's washed down with Heineken for 6 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

SAVE a fortune on laundry bills by giving your dirty shirts to Oxfam. They will wash and iron them and you can buy them back for 50c.

A simple but effective way to hack vending machines when you need a drink but have no change with you is to throw a brick through the glass on the front. You can then simply select which beverage you require without having to insert money/press buttons. This works best on vending machines with glass fronts. Always make sure to put the glass back together in the machine to avoid the owner discovering your clever hack. If the glass wont fit, you can use a piece of glass from an old house that you have cut to size and brought with you.

THICKEN runny, low-fat yogurt by stirring in a spoonful of lard.

Test R.Kellys belief in his ability to fly, by simply pushing him out a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

jog everywhere. you get there quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

If your a man, avoid changing duvet covers, it's woman magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

Take two bottles into the shower?

You ****in pisshead

Worried that your teeth will be stained after a heavy night drinking red wine? Simply drink a bottle of white wine before going to bed to remove the stains.

When using a Taxi, simply substitute the phrase: "wait there, I will be back in one second" for your usual: "how much do I owe you?".
    9 times out of ten the nice driver will accept this phrase in lieu of payment.
    If you combine this method with your daily jog, by getting him to stop some distance from your house, you will both save money and get fitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

As I said in another thread - put shaving foam on a mirror prior to showering; when you're done, wipe the foam from the mirror and there you go - it can't fog up and you're free to shave your face / genitals.

:eek::eek::eek:
    I thought I was the only one who knew about that one!

Advertisement