Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 250

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

MickserB wrote: »

Last question....i have a mains powered external hard drive connected to my 120 box at the moment with loads of stuff on it that i havent watched so if i unplug this from the ariva 120 box and connect it to the new 250 box , will i still have all my recordings or will i have to format the hard drive again thereby losing my recordings.... - if its in TS format i shouldnt see why not

I switched over from a 120 yesterday and all my recordings are still intact. It's a really nice box and a lot more Web friendly than the 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gg69me

Good stuff , thats what i like to hear as i was wondering if i should switch to a different box like the Triax or one of these Saorview approved combo boxes but i think i will stick with the devil i know .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Will a 32/64 GB USB stick really work for recording in this unit? Has anyone actually tried it on RTE 2 HD? What make/model drive? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

iba wrote: »

Neither. I have a few of the one without the aerial. They stop functioning after a week and heat up quite badly.

No way for the heat to escape I think may be the issue.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Will a 32/64 GB USB stick really work for recording in this unit? Has anyone actually tried it on RTE 2 HD? What make/model drive? Thanks.

Yes of course. But you will eventually fill it up unless you continuously delete stuff from it. I have a few Kingstons that work fine. HD Recording will fill it up quickly. Something with a high write/read speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

STB wrote: »
    Neither. I have a few of the one without the aerial. They stop functioning after a week and heat up quite badly.

No way for the heat to escape I think may be the issue.

Thanks STB

Thanks STB

No problem. I think those particular make are just cheap dongles. I think I got them for 99c each with free post! Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I have a 250 so I'll try a few others.

No problem. I think those particular make are just cheap dongles. I think I got them for 99c each with free post! Sometimes you get what you pay for.

u bought 250? were u planning on selling them on? If u still have the link/website can u send it on so i can try a couple myself please

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

u bought 250?

I think he means he has an Ariva 250:)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

Tony wrote: »
    I think he means he has an Ariva 250:)

lol - ah right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tpx111

If I have something recorded onto my USB drive, can I play that back at the same time as recording another show?

tpx111 wrote: »
    If I have something recorded onto my USB drive, can I play that back at the same time as recording another show?

why not just try it ? :)

why not just try it ? :)

I don't own one of these boxes, just checking to see if it's possible.

I don't own one of these boxes, just checking to see if it's possible.

Sorry from your wording it sounded like you had one. Yes it is possible:)

Sorry from your wording it sounded like you had one. Yes it is possible:)

Sorry for the misunderstanding, thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 MickserB

I tried the one with the aerials STB, for pig iron as they say, the signal is vastly better, on the non aerial one, i was getting 80 ish, the aerial type the signal was up to 89% and it was picking up other peoples wifi signals, which the non aerial wasnt, so they seem to be better in that sense, now I haven't tried to stream using the aerial type, just wanted to see the signal quality difference, be interesting to see if they heat up as bad as the other, as they seem to be from the same manufacturer,

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gg69me

i have an ariva 120 combo and i have watched recordings on my external hard drive while recording a programme at the same time and i had no issues with it so i presume the 250 would be the same but i could be wrong.

I tried the one with the aerials STB, for pig iron as they say, the signal is vastly better, on the non aerial one, i was getting 80 ish, the aerial type the signal was up to 89% and it was picking up other peoples wifi signals, which the non aerial wasnt, so they seem to be better in that sense, now I haven't tried to stream using the aerial type, just wanted to see the signal quality difference, be interesting to see if they heat up as bad as the other, as they seem to be from the same manufacturer,

Hi Mickser,

Might just get one with an aerial to give it a go and see what happens.

Was looking for a router (to put upstairs) that would pick up the signal wirelessly from my UPC Cisco router downstairs (Im putting my Ariva 250 upstairs and I want/need an ethernet connection for it) - but I dont have enough knowledge to know which routers can do that job.

Regards

Iba

The one i tested, is way better than the one with out the aerial, you could look at homeplugs, they use the wiring in the house as a lan, so you can plug one beside the router, other beside the box, the only draw back on these, if your power sockets aint on the same wired circuit, it wont work, so for example if the socket is upstairs for the box and the other downstairs for the router, they could be on different circuits, then it wont work, depends on how the house is wired, wireless can be hit and miss, but the one i used was better, choice is yours.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Homeplugs are very bad news. They cause radio interference to your neighbours and should be avoided.

winston_1 wrote: »
    Homeplugs are very bad news. They cause radio interference to your neighbours and should be avoided.
    neighbours use em, never had a problem with em,

The one i tested, is way better than the one with out the aerial, you could look at homeplugs, they use the wiring in the house as a lan, so you can plug one beside the router, other beside the box, the only draw back on these, if your power sockets aint on the same wired circuit, it wont work, so for example if the socket is upstairs for the box and the other downstairs for the router, they could be on different circuits, then it wont work, depends on how the house is wired, wireless can be hit and miss, but the one i used was better, choice is yours.:D

Ordered one of the doggles with an aerial from ebay last nite from hong Kong - see how it works

interesting, didnt know that

For most people they are not an issue but they do give off a lot of radio frequency noise which is a problem if you have some radio communications users nearby

Ordered one of the doggles with an aerial from ebay last nite from hong Kong - see how it works
    I cojld have gave a link for one on fleabay, guy in the UK, about 4 quid including del, have it in a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I cojld have gave a link for one on fleabay, guy in the UK, about 4 quid including del, have it in a few days

You still could.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

Is it possible to play several videos consecutively from the attached Memory without the player stopping and going back to the media player menu after each one? ie, is there a play all function, There does not seem to be, unless I am missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is out of stock everywhere, I know theres a few on Ebay but Id rather buy from a shop like satellite.ie in case of a problem, a lot of places say 'Waiting on Ferguson', is there a new model coming or just a restock does anyone know?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    This is out of stock everywhere, I know theres a few on Ebay but Id rather buy from a shop like satellite.ie in case of a problem, a lot of places say 'Waiting on Ferguson', is there a new model coming or just a restock does anyone know?

Its a re stock as Ferguson stopped production for a number of weeks as they ran out of parts . (they've always had issues with planning ahead)

Advertisement