Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 30: Jam Doughnut Muffins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Cadbury's have a nice chocolate spread, I used it instead of chocolate icing before, but you'd have to check ingredients to make sure there's no trace of nuts. I think it was called Smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Made a batch of these yesterday, they didn't last long :pac:

14vqzqo.jpg

The muffins tasted fantastic..... I may have to make them again over the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

They look amazing GrahamThomas. Delighted you liked the recipe. Thanks for trying.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I made these over the weekend. They were so fast and easy to make.

Looked great, well I thought when finished and the texture was so light, hard to stop eating only 1.

Thanks op.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sillymoo wrote: »
    Made these the other day and they were delish!!!! Disappeared very quickly at work the next day.....

Only thing is, the jam sunk to the bottom and out the bottom of most my buns :( Maybe I had too much jam. Will have to tweak my buns a little next time :D

No matter how little jam I try to put in, this keeps happening. I put cupcake cases in once but of course that takes away the overall doughnut texture. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Maybe you're using jam that isn't thick or set enough? I imagine that a high fruit content jam would seep less than a low fruit content one. Although now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I used a cheap jam, but it was very firm - what the Americans would probably call "jelly".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think I use centra own brand one, it's pretty thick!

Managed it this time. Miracle! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

bluewolf wrote: »
    Managed it this time. Miracle! :p
    No pic? :(

Okay, just for you ;)
    Pic 1 was using baking powder: jam stayed firmly at the top
    pic 2 was bread soda I suddenly remembered we had. Jam sank but not through the bottom, stayed in it. Also bigger and softer and tastier, so stick with the recipe :p

DSC_0138_zps627e6433.jpg

DSC_0139_zpsb08b3a16.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Second lot look yummier too!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭sdp

the best muffins ever! thank you :) and great for school lunches without the sugar coating, mind you I ate more then one myself :o

C7DACBCD0B2F4FA0995F35B8795B7922-0000360696-0003156844-00800L-F65691E9473A4329993847C00BF65FA4.jpg

AECBD14C90FE42059DA59CA1B9C6FD93-0000360696-0003156854-00800L-21E8367CC86A46A288BBA036EEC7ACD8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I made these a couple of weeks ago, when a few friends were over. Ended up making 4 dozen of them for other people to take home...

Nomnom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I made these yesterday. We like to feed each other of a Monday to take away the Blues.

Thanks to ibarelycare I had the recipe!

I put the plate out at 8am this morning with Cling Film still on them. I got back and there was one left and somebody looking for seconds hovering close by so i had to grab it while I could.

To say they went down a treat is an understatement!

I'll have to make these for my Niece and Nephews on Saturday now!

Thanks OP ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I just put a batch of these in the oven... just reread recipe and realised I didn't put any eggs in... will report back :(

Update: Batch 1 was, predictably, awful!
    Batch 2 is gorgeous, I did 3 fillings: seedless raspberry jam, nutella, and nutella and peanut butter. Om nom nom! The fillings sank but didn't leak out too much, this is a lovely recipe!
    Can anyone else who has made these tell me, would these still be good in a day or two? (I realise they've probably never lasted that long :))

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DianaN

I made these for work.
    They are amazing, (and I am very popular!)
    We are all going to be very fat, as I made 10 from that recipe, so each has 14g of fat, and I have had a request for a weekly batch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Made these today. Delicious! The first few came out of the tin perfectly but 6 or 7 had the jam coming out the end though. Will definitely make these again.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

No yoghurt in the fridge, any possible substitute that won't require me going to the shop?

Anyone any suggestions? No creme fraiche or sour cream either, thanks :-)

Milk? You could substitute cup of milk soured with a tsp of lemon juice. Might need to use less milk though so it wouldn't be so runny.
    Mind you have I have not tried this myself so use at own risk. :)

DianaN wrote: »
    Milk? You could substitute cup of milk soured with a tsp of lemon juice. Might need to use less milk though so it wouldn't be so runny.
    Mind you have I have not tried this myself so use at own risk. :)

Thanks Diana - I have buttermilk and bextartar, do you think on on them would work out better?

• Advertisement

Yes I think buttermilk would do. Just watch as you add so the mixture isn't too runny.

I went with the buttermilk - Look grand, just waiting for someone to come home and test them for me, I don't like cake/buns- will let you know the verdict :D

They look lovely. You realise I have had to make another lot of these tonight because you reminded me. And its been a bit busy at work so we neeeed them. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made these today - luckily I made a double batch because they're amazing.
    Thanks Wurly :)

2r6k3kz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I made these again today, so fast and easy and they were gone before I got a chance to take a picture.

Thanks op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Hi Wurly. I registered just to tell you I made these last night and they were a hit! Great simple recipe. Gonna try them sans the extra sugar and replacing the jam with lemon curd next (with a little zest thrown into the cake mixture too). Cheers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I made the lemon curd version. Tasty...but I prefer the jam kind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made 6 with strawberry jam and 6 with Lidl's choc hazelnut spread.
    I didn't dust them with sugar, but did provide a plate of cinnamon sugar on the side for whoever wants to roll their doughnuts into it (ehhh, turned out it was just me heheh:D).
    The ones with jam looked like yorkshire puddings for some reason, and the fillings in the hazelnut spread ones sank, as you can see.
    Delicious none the less. And mad easy & quick!

034_zpse1a87e52.jpg

035_zpsa7d21149.jpg

Edit: Thanks Wurly!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭swine

Just made these for the first time this evening after seeing the recent thread bump. Slightly overdone as I took my eye off them but they still taste delicious. The jam - raspberry & pomegranate - stayed at the top too - result! Thanks Wurly!

• Advertisement

Seeing as Starbucks are doing these and calling them duffins, I felt obliged to test out the boards recipe again. Again, a success...
    *Falls over as belly is now so big*

Advertisement