Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 30: Jam Doughnut Muffins

Options
  • 24-07-2012 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm aware that this recipe is 3 days early. I hope you don't mind. I'm just not going to get a chance to do this later in the week.:(

Anyways - on with the cooking. :)

Jam Doughnut Muffins - Ingredients:

140g caster sugar , plus 200g extra for dusting
    200g plain flour
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    100ml natural yogurt
    2 large eggs , beaten
    1 tsp vanilla extract (I used essence and it worked out grand)
    140g butter , melted, plus extra for greasing
    12 tsp seedless raspberry jam or any flavour you like

These gorgeous muffins are one of my favourites to make and go down a treat with everyone. Really easy and yummy too. Just don't think about the calories... or your teeth! :pac:

Sorry in advance for the crap photies... I only had my phone at my disposal.

Heat your oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.

Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tin (or use a silicone one). I used 2x6 hole silicone moulds. The easiest way I found to grease was to melt butter and dab on a small bit of it in each hole with a pastry brush.

Put 140g sugar, flour and bicarb in a bowl and mix to combine.
    photo1.jpg

In a jug, whisk together the yogurt, eggs and vanilla. Tip the jug contents and melted butter into the dry ingredients and quickly fold with a metal spoon to combine.
    photo3.jpg

Divide two-thirds of the mixture between the muffin holes.
    photo4.jpg

Carefully add 1 tsp jam into the centre of each. Make sure you don't add too much jam or your muffins will end up with very soggy bums... Basically add a LOT less than what it looks like in this picture.:o
    photo5.jpg

Then, cover with the remaining mixture. Don't worry too much if you can still see the jam peeking out.
    photo6.jpg

Bake for 16-18 mins until risen, golden and springy to touch.
    photo7.jpg

Leave the muffins to cool for 5 mins before lifting out of the tin and rolling in the extra sugar.
    photo8.jpg

Eat until you're fat and happy.:D;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭jasonc5432

These taste ridiculously AMAZING!!

They will make ANYBODY happy! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh holy god. My diet can't take this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WOW.....amazing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Oh god, I made bread and butter pudding tonight and swore that was it for the week...this has definitely put paid to that notion, nom nom nom!

Made these today :D

Some slight variations to reduce the calorie load! I made them in muffin cases and didn't roll them in sugar - just lightly dusted them with icing sugar. I also had no vanilla :(. But they were delicious! And my calorie counter thingy put them at only 250 calories each the way I made them - so I might have eaten more than 1 :D

07xmvl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Wow - they look stunning, Faith. Thanks so much for trying the recipe. I'm delighted you liked them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Have just made my first batch! Never baked any type of buns breads or anything. Not sure how they'll be surely Dont look as good as above on a mobile so dont think i van post pics but i will.

Kinda attcked the recipes to and through some chocolate in so will see how that work.

Thanks a mill wurly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

ok now that i see it posted they look brutal compared to other but i have to admit they taste yummy!!!!:D

haha - great work Racso! :D Who cares what they look like once they taste nice. Thanks a million for trying the recipe. Glad you like them.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I have mine in the oven at the minute :)

There are 4 people waiting to eat them!

Edit: they were awesome!

• Advertisement

kate.m wrote: »
    I have mine in the oven at the minute :)

There are 4 people waiting to eat them!

Edit: they were awesome!

Wuhoo!!!! YAAAY! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Made these today with a mixture of homemade blackberry and raspberry jam.

they are delish and so simple to make, will definitely make them again

DSCN1002.jpg?t=1343575919

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Made these on Saturday, turned out better than I expected :). If I was to mod this recipe for coffee + chocolate chips, I assume I just make some coffee that's ridiculously strong then add it to the batter? :D

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Made these on Saturday, turned out better than I expected :). If I was to mod this recipe for coffee + chocolate chips, I assume I just make some coffee that's ridiculously strong then add it to the batter? :D

Hmm... that sounds interesting!! :) I'm really not sure how it would work. Please try it though. I'd love to hear how it turned out.;)

Wurly wrote: »
    NeoSlicerZ wrote: »

Hmm... that sounds interesting!! :) I'm really not sure how it would work. Please try it though. I'd love to hear how it turned out.;)

If I may join in, baking is chemistry, all about ratios. You can't just add extra liquid in baking and expect it to work. To add coffee, you could make very thick, very strong coffee, or coffee essence like Irl. You'd need to remove some of the other liquid you use though, so you could possibly try using 20mls less of yoghurt and add 20mls of coffee. Not sure how it would affect the texture then though - you'd just have to try and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Definitely going to have to try these! My son would love them! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Faith wrote: »
    If I may join in, baking is chemistry, all about ratios. You can't just add extra liquid in baking and expect it to work. To add coffee, you could make very thick, very strong coffee, or coffee essence like Irl. You'd need to remove some of the other liquid you use though, so you could possibly try using 20mls less of yoghurt and add 20mls of coffee. Not sure how it would affect the texture then though - you'd just have to try and see!
    Just made coffee + chocolate chip mod. Worked out quite well. Used 3 teaspoons instant coffee in about 15mls water. Mixed well, subbed 15ml yoghurt. Added an extra table spoon or so of flour since the dough consistency was a tad runny. Added chocolate chips. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Thanks a mill - these were easy as can be,and everyone loved them. Great with a nice cuppa!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

everyone devoured these, and they're so easy.
    om nom nom

These were absolutely savage OP, thanks so much! Gonna try chocolate ones next week maybe, need to recover from the jam ones first.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Made them yesterday. Turned out light and fluffy and very moreish. OH and sons loved them! Used Apricot Jam as I had that in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Just wondering if sour cream could be used instead of the natural yogurt as that's all I have in the fridge ?

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Just wondering if sour cream could be used instead of the natural yogurt as that's all I have in the fridge ?

I'd say it would prob be okay but maybe thin it down a bit with some water so that it has the same consistency as yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Made these the other day and they were delish!!!! Disappeared very quickly at work the next day.....

Only thing is, the jam sunk to the bottom and out the bottom of most my buns :( Maybe I had too much jam. Will have to tweak my buns a little next time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Just got the ingredients to make these and realised I have no muffin tin. :(

I don't suppose a regular bun tin would do?

sillymoo wrote: »
    Made these the other day and they were delish!!!! Disappeared very quickly at work the next day.....

Only thing is, the jam sunk to the bottom and out the bottom of most my buns :( Maybe I had too much jam. Will have to tweak my buns a little next time :D

This happened to me too. I LOVE jam and got a little bit carried away with the amount. Soggy bums all round. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

No yoghurt in the fridge, any possible substitute that won't require me going to the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

30642991.jpg
    These look utterly deliscious. I hope to pick up some silcon muffin moulds in the sales so I'll be testing this one out after Christmas! Question, though: What method would you recommend in regards to substituting jam with chocolate?

I just followed the recipe for jam ones, but added a spoon of cocoa to the mix. Where you're supposed to put in a little bit of jam and then add the second half of the mix, I put in a little bit of nutella. Has the advantage over chocolate that it won't solidify when (if!) they get cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I just followed the recipe for jam ones, but added a spoon of cocoa to the mix. Where you're supposed to put in a little bit of jam and then add the second half of the mix, I put in a little bit of nutella. Has the advantage over chocolate that it won't solidify when (if!) they get cold.
    What would you recommend in place of Nutella? One of my cousins has a nut allergy. I've yet to find a chocolate spread I like and Choccy Philadelphia is much too sweet. :/

Advertisement