Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Canadian Driving Licence in Calgary

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

hey would anyone have a answer for this.
    im here in calgary 4 months just started driving yesterday :-) im on a 1 year iec visa can i apply for a canadian drivers license?
    i have my irish full license 12 years and that international driving permit from aa that allows me to drive for a year with my irish but if its possible id prefer a canadian one! anyone know i cant find it and not going into a registry again they drive me totally nuts! :-D any help greatly appreciated!

Yes you can get a canadian license but you will have to hand in your irish license.
    Details of what to do are already in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Here's a bit of a funny one that I haven't been able to find an answer for - even in the registry they didn't seem too sure. I have a full Irish car and bike licence and obviously have to surrender it to get a canadian one. What I want to know is has anyone on here managed to transfer them both across? The guy in the registry seemed to think I had to surrender my Irish licence and get a canadian learner permit, then do the road test (skipping the waiting period) but then wait a year to be able to do the bike road test. The full class 5 licence over here functions as a bike permit, but I don't like the idea of waiting a year to do a full test. I'd rather get em all sorted in the next few weeks before winter comes.

Anyone got any ideas? My plan at the moment is to ask someone else in the registry and see if a photocopy of my Irish driving license might allow me skip the year waiting period after I've surrendered the original to get the car licence here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

May I ask what you mean by surrender your Irish licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

hdowney wrote: »
    May I ask what you mean by surrender your Irish licence?

Hand it in and get an alberta license in return

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mohsinbeg

I followed this company: https://driveproactive.com. I impressed

• Advertisement
Advertisement