Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Canadian Driving Licence in Calgary

Options
  • 24-07-2012 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend are heading over to Calgary in early November on the 1 year IEC visa (I know we're mad but its the only time that suits due to other circumstances), we will be applying for our secound year as soon as possible.

We are both keen to have driving licences while there, however I won't be able to take my test due to not having my provisional licence for 6 months. I was wondering am I eligible on the IEC visa to apply for a Canadian licence and how I go about doing that.

*Edit: Just realised this should have gone into the 'living abroad' forum, could a mod move it over? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Its not an official page, but here's some information on applying for a driving licence in Alberta.

about.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Myself and my girlfriend are heading over to Calgary in early November on the 1 year IEC visa (I know we're mad but its the only time that suits due to other circumstances), we will be applying for our secound year as soon as possible.

We are both keen to have driving licences while there, however I won't be able to take my test due to not having my provisional licence for 6 months. I was wondering am I eligible on the IEC visa to apply for a Canadian licence and how I go about doing that.

*Edit: Just realised this should have gone into the 'living abroad' forum, could a mod move it over? Thanks.

Done as requested.

kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

Here is the official Province of Alberta site concerning driving licenses:

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Drivers_Licence.cfm#Back_To_Top

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

personally I did the test... easy peezy but some have done the following:
    ok first of all you need to go to link I am attaching, you will need an address in England, follow the steps on the website...we had the forms sent to a cousins house who then sent them to us we filled them in and sent them back to him he sent them to dvla who in turn sent him back new licenses. We did all this through express post I think it took under a month.. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022562

Ok in Canada go to one of the registeries listed on website they are all over the city. Make sure and keep a full driving record from Ireland including copy of your license because they may question the length of time you have the uk one. We said we spent a couple of months in uk before coming to Canada hope this helps if any more questions don't hesitate to ask
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022562 Ok in Canada go to one of the registeries listed on website they are all over the city. Make sure and keep a full driving record from Ireland including copy of your license because they may question the length of time you have the uk one. We said we spent a couple of months in uk before coming to Canada hope this helps if any more questions don't hesitate to ask http://www.servicealberta.ca/1641.cfm"]http://www.servicealberta.ca/1641.cfm[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

cheapest insurance? ive been driving 2 years, no claims, have my full irish a year. if it makes any difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

I just passed my Canadian provisional licence theory test (they call it a grade 7 learner over here) I hot my local county council to post over my driving history and the Alberta government are gonna apply this to my licence. This'll let me skip the whole learning process and take the final test in about two weeks.

The provisional test is easy, sane idea as the theory test back home. 30 questions and you can pick up a free study booklet in any registry office. From what j hear the full driving test is fairly easy aswell.

You'll love Calgary ;)

just did the test and failed with flying colours after 14 questions. every answer is right but one answer is more right than others :/

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

So can someone tell me if I am right:

• I bring over my driving history which I get from my county council that issued my license
    • Immediately sit a theory test over there
    • If I pass the test I can apply to do my driving test in a week or two

When I pass the driving test does that mean I have a full license?

I also should bring my insurance details and proof of no claims bonus, right?

Anything else I should do?

memaul wrote: »
    So can someone tell me if I am right:

• I bring over my driving history which I get from my county council that issued my license
    • Immediately sit a theory test over there
    • If I pass the test I can apply to do my driving test in a week or two

When I pass the driving test does that mean I have a full license?

I also should bring my insurance details and proof of no claims bonus, right?

Anything else I should do?

Exactly. I wouldn't be too worried about the proof of insurance, I was told my Irish insurance history didn't count. Use kanetix.ca for insurance quote, I got myself and the missus insured for $915

There's 3 classes of standard drivers licence here. Class 7, class 5 basic and class 5 advanced. Of you've been driving long enough in Ireland you'll be allowed to skip straight to the class 5 advanced test. I'm sitting it on Monday, I'll let ye know how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Exactly. I wouldn't be too worried about the proof of insurance, I was told my Irish insurance history didn't count. Use kanetix.ca for insurance quote, I got myself and the missus insured for $915

There's 3 classes of standard drivers licence here. Class 7, class 5 basic and class 5 advanced. Of you've been driving long enough in Ireland you'll be allowed to skip straight to the class 5 advanced test. I'm sitting it on Monday, I'll let ye know how it is.

cheers tonto

• Advertisement

memaul wrote: »
    cheers tonto

No probs, ya need any help just ask

For anyone doing the class 7 (theory) here's a link for online practice test.

http://icandrive.ca/alberta/class-7-practice-test/

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

if you can get the insurance company to say accident free and how long it will help with most companies esp if you don't want a high deductable. We got a giant discount (2k) as we had it. We went with TD for insurance they are the cheapest of the more reputable companies. You can get it cheaper but we'd heard of issues people had with kanetax with them finding lots of loop holes to not pay out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Has anyone used the International Driving Permit over in Canada?
    Link here.
    Might be a handy way to tide ya over while you set up a driving licence over there as it's valid for 3 months.

Panthro wrote: »
    Has anyone used the International Driving Permit over in Canada?
    Link here.
    Might be a handy way to tide ya over while you set up a driving licence over there as it's valid for 3 months.

Pretty sure your Irish drivers licence is valid for 3 months. The international drivers licence does nothing really.

failed it for the third time today, 24, needed 25

no need for this craic ive a full irish license 2 years

failed it for the third time today, 24, needed 25

no need for this craic ive a full irish license 2 years

Ah thar sucks, next time tho. I failed the driving test, missed a fecking playzone sign, automatic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Hey guys I'm on my 3rd Irish provisional how would I be fixed applying for the Canadaian licence? How much is it for cheap dinky get around? They all automatics?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Hey guys I'm on my 3rd Irish provisional how would I be fixed applying for the Canadian License? How much is it for cheap dinky get around? They all automatics?

They will not recognise your Irish learners permit at all.
    You will need to apply for a Canadian learner permit and wait a year before you can sit your driving test.
    This will get you onto a probationary license.
    You need to spend 2 years on a Probationary license before you can do the test for an unrestricted license.

This webpage summarises it well:

http://www.ama.ab.ca/driver-education/albertas-graduated-driver-licensing-gdl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

You will need to apply for a Canadian learner permit and wait a year before you can sit your driving test.
    You need to spend 2 years on a Probationary license before you can do the test for an unrestricted license.

Would it be any different if you have a full irish licence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Cheers. As a Stage One - Learner is there a limit to what car/engine size I can drive or Motorways/Freeways I can't use?

If you have an Irish License for two years you can move straight to do the advanced test, You still need to get the Canadian Learners permit but you can go straight to do the advanced test.

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Drat. I'll have only had the full Irish licence for about a year :(

Cheers. As a Stage One - Learner is there a limit to what car/engine size I can drive or Motorways/Freeways I can't use?

No Limit to engine size

Class 5 Licence

Permits an operator to drive:

• A two axle single motor vehicle, excluding a motorcycle
    • A two axle motor vehicle towing a trailer with one or more axles, if the trailer is not equipped with airbrakes
    • A recreational vehicle or any combination of a recreational vehicle and a trailer, if the trailer has not more than two axles and is not equipped with airbrakes
    • A moped
    • Class 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 type vehicles, for learning only
    No holder of a Class 5 operator's licence shall operate a motor vehicle:
    • That has a seating capacity of more than 15, while that vehicle is transporting any person in addition to the operator
    • To transport passengers for hire
    The minimum learning age is 14.

The minimum licensing age is 16.

Requirements: road test.
    Vehicle for road test: any two axle motor vehicle excluding a motorcycle.

You can drive on highways once accompanied by a licensed driver as far as I know

Aquila wrote: »
    How much is it to start from the beginning?i.e first step in obtaining a license?

Between doing the theory test and getting the learner permit it was about $60 and the advanced road test was another 30ish as far as I remember

Aquila wrote: »
    How much is it to start from the beginning?i.e first step in obtaining a license?

Between doing the theory test and getting the learner permit it was about $60 and the advanced road test was another 30ish as far as I remember
    Advanced road test is $114, another $40 if you need to rent their car. If you padd the licence costs $28.

The test is about 45 mins long and easy enough, just a basic test of your ability to drive... Like going for a little spin. Passed mine the other day, chuffed to bits

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shellyennis

hey would anyone have a answer for this.
    im here in calgary 4 months just started driving yesterday :-) im on a 1 year iec visa can i apply for a canadian drivers license?
    i have my irish full license 12 years and that international driving permit from aa that allows me to drive for a year with my irish but if its possible id prefer a canadian one! anyone know i cant find it and not going into a registry again they drive me totally nuts! :-D any help greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

hey just wondering what kind of licence would i need if i had a moped bike, just something to get me around the city of Calgary.

• Advertisement

media101 wrote: »
    hey just wondering what kind of licence would i need if i had a moped bike, just something to get me around the city of Calgary.

Google says a class 6 personall having driven in Calgary yesterday I can't thing of anything scarier than riding a moped around there

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/drivers_licence.cfm#Class_6_Licence

Advertisement