Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Olympics (Weightlifting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Santy's pulled out of the supers too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

cambridge wrote: »
    power sport not strength sport

You'd swear strength wasn't an important component of potential power output or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Ilya Ilin.....just.....WOW!!!

That man is just nuts, doesn't mess around just goes out and clean and jerks 233kg like it's nothing. Definitely makes up for the disappointment of the 105's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Never really been into Weightlifting as a Sport, but I really enjoyed the Mens 94KG event today. Was great entertainment. Really great stuff and an event I am hoping to get more into even after the Olympics.

Got me thinking though. Is it an event Ireland could do well in? Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I think it could well. Be sport we should look at.

Did not see any countries from Western Europe competing, but wondering is there any chance we could see somebody in Weightlifting in future Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ivan.Drago

Did not see any countries from Western Europe competing, but wondering is there any chance we could see somebody in Weightlifting in future Olympics?

http://www.youtube.com/user/clarence0?feature=results_main

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Got back from London last night. Was at the 77s on Wed and the 85s on Friday. Amazing experience especially the 77s despite the third attempt mix up. Seeing a new snatch and total record was unbelievable. Got home last night to watch the 94s and wow. Ilin is some lifter.

Also got a photo with Lu Xiaojun outside the arena just before the 85s. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Never really been into Weightlifting as a Sport, but I really enjoyed the Mens 94KG event today. Was great entertainment. Really great stuff and an event I am hoping to get more into even after the Olympics.

Got me thinking though. Is it an event Ireland could do well in? Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I think it could well. Be sport we should look at.

Curious. Why do you think Ireland could do well in it? The answer is no though.

Scuba Ste wrote: »

Yeah same. I'd change no to "hahahaha" or something tho :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

Ireland will never win any medals in that cycling thing because we don't have the olympic level infrastructure regardless of talent. It would take 100 million to catch up on the countries that medal.

With 10 million you could putting olympic lifting platforms in every county and have a national coach and support staff that would give the lads currently representing ireland more support and more opportunities to their successors.

I don't know how much of the success in powerlifting is winning mickey mouse competitions but if we had 10% of the success in OL there would be medal opportunities.

Sure when clarence gets carded and a starts getting $ support he will progress even faster.

cambridge wrote: »

I don't know how much of the success in powerlifting is winning mickey mouse competitions but if we had 10% of the success in OL there would be medal opportunities.

No one in Ireland is really winning anything that is "truly" competitive internationally. I'm talking about IPF world standard here. So our international success in powerlifting isn't really indicative of some big talent pool of possible olympic lifting talent, as you've kind of alluded to.

Plus that talent would need to be identified in early teen years at the absolute latest to have any olympic potential.

• Advertisement

Scuba Ste wrote: »

Well excuse me for my lack of Knowledge and all, but we are country that are built more on strength and all and with proper training and facilities then would that not help?

I know it would take long time of course. I know its not just as simple as I said, but at same time its not something we lack either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭COH

we are country that are built more on strength.

Are we :confused:

COH wrote: »

Well we are not fast or small little men like guys from South Korea , Mexico and Iran. All countries I have been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

The Iranians and South Koreans have done alright for themselves in weightlifting though.

Well we are not fast or small little men like guys from South Korea , Mexico and Iran. All countries I have been to.

Being small (short) and fast are two advantages when it comes to weightlifting, Iran and South Korea have many great lifters.

Even if you have the facilities and the coaches you are still not guaranteed to produce world class lifters, I mean look at the US, one male lifter in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

COH wrote: »

In the first few Olympics we were a powerhouse in things like hammer throw. I was only looking at pictures in my Aunt's house yesterday of her husbands dad posing in a field, in a lifting singlet with a swimsuit clad lady held over his head in Louth. Would have been in the 1920's or 30's.

Before the GAA hoovered up every bit of sporting interest in the country we had a much broader interest in a wide array of sports. It was the GAA who painted everything bar bogball and stick fighting as "foreign" and interest was lost over the years.

We're a sporting country no doubt, we just put idiots in charge of every possible council or organisation and we make a balls of it.

kevpants wrote: »
    In the first few Olympics we were a powerhouse in things like hammer throw. I was only looking at pictures in my Aunt's house yesterday of her husbands dad posing in a field, in a lifting singlet with a swimsuit clad lady held over his head in Louth. Would have been in the 1920's or 30's.

Before the GAA hoovered up every bit of sporting interest in the country we had a much broader interest in a wide array of sports. It was the GAA who painted everything bar bogball and stick fighting as "foreign" and interest was lost over the years.

We're a sporting country no doubt, we just put idiots in charge of every possible council or organisation and we make a balls of it.

I agree with your post.

All I was trying to say in my post at the time that if we were to put investment in place to support weightlifting for the future I be confident we would see rewards down the line.

I have friends from Kazakhstan and Poland and they been telling me that we would have the right type of build to succeed in this sport if we were to take it serous.

On side note its a sport in which I have truly enjoyed in Olympics. New fan here. Ilya Ilyin performance the other day was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭First Explorer

Hey Guys haven't seen any weightlifting so far in the Olympics can anyone tell me which channel you are all watching it on? The mens group A final just started.

Hey Guys haven't seen any weightlifting so far in the Olympics can anyone tell me which channel you are all watching it on? The mens group A final just started.

BBC Red Button for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Absolutely heartbroken for the Korean in the 105s just there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭First Explorer

BBC Red Button for me

Well that it explains why I haven't seen any and probably won't, at least I won't have to watch people half my weight lift twice what I can :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Dolega :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Molly wrote: »

Halfwit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

token wrote: »

Is it not a bit shítty of Randall Strossen to be posting hearsay like that on twitter. I'm not doubting it but surely it could open a big can of worms for Klokov if wada decide to follow the rumor up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

DylanJM wrote: »
    Is it not a bit shítty of Randall Strossen to be posting hearsay like that on twitter. I'm not doubting it but surely it could open a big can of worms for Klokov if wada decide to follow the rumor up.

Very shitty, he's only a prick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Molly wrote: »

He owes me money. That's how gambling works right? I sad.

Bad day for weightlifting if that stuff is true. Not gonna hold my breath.

I really f*cking hate that "allthingsgym" website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Well that it explains why I haven't seen any and probably won't, at least I won't have to watch people half my weight lift twice what I can :o
    Here's a link to the weightlifting http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html?video_id=8320 also any other live olympic sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

539046_422131111167184_1054691531_n.jpg

Advertisement