Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do speed limits apply to cyclists as well?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

So if its an electric bicycle you can be done, since its a mechanically propelled vehicle ?
    There's some wattage limit and the need for it to be pedal assisted for it still to be a bicycle. Technically should be licenced if over a certain power or if power is applied without pedalling. Openly flouted by some of the sellers here. Really vague stuff with zero enforcement. Usual story!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

It poses an interesting question all the same. One of the reasons (if not the only reason) for speed limits, particularly in built up areas such as the main street of a town is to have the car travelling at a safe speed (eg so they can stop if a child legs it out in front of them - stopping distances and the like). In these cases it could possibly be prudent to have some sort of inforcement for cyclists (not necessarily a speed limit per say, more a 'careful and mindful driving law'). I say this because cyclists can easily build up a head of steam, especially coming down a hill, and if they were to hit someone (say a child) whilst going quite fast it could cause some damage, both to them and the person they hit. And where would the law stand in cases like that.

Sorry for the wall o text!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MYOB wrote: »
    There is no legal speed limit of 40km/h.

It should be in places by now; it's in guidance from the department to councils sent at the start of last year - http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CGQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.transport.ie%2Fupload%2Fgeneral%2F13028-CIRCULAR_SPEED_LIMIT_GUIDANCE_AND_ANNEX_B-1.DOC&ei=HvoLUMHMBMu6hAfB95yDCg&usg=AFQjCNEMtfw31fXniXADJePs81qzu7CSFw&sig2=Z-yBK8j9Uq2uLyHYiY7yPQ
    Yes. If it has an engine or some type of motor in it yes.

It's more about the power and if it is assisted or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

monument wrote: »

Unless the Road Traffic Act was amended the guidance is irrelevant. Its entirely possible it was amended as this govt has produced a huge amount of legislation but I've not noticed it. I'll check later.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Unless the Road Traffic Act was amended the guidance is irrelevant. Its entirely possible it was amended as this govt has produced a huge amount of legislation but I've not noticed it. I'll check later.

Not sure, but generally: They seem to have taken the approach of publish the traffic signs manual and give advice elsewhere, and then update the law later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

How would they spot a cyclists speed on a their bike? Is it not only viewable from a vehicle? Doesn't make sense.

The rules of the road applies yes and traffic offences prevail for fines but the speed?? Sure a bike can't go as fast as a car?! :/ Unless a speedometre is attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

There is no legal speed limit of 40km/h.
    sorry, meant 45 kph.

sorry, meant 45 kph.

There's DEFINITELY no legal speed limit of 45km/h

Legal speed limits are all multiples of 10.

If there is a 40 in legislation now, it could have been 40. I'm not sure there is, in which case it has to be 30 or 50.

The legal limits at the time of metrification were 30, 50, 60, 80, 100 and 120.

Not sure, but generally: They seem to have taken the approach of publish the traffic signs manual and give advice elsewhere, and then update the law later.

Completely unenforcable limit then, if that is the case. Not checked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I think a power/speed limit should apply. If everything with a motor/engine is licensed, you'd need to put those tiny electric and petrol scooters into the mix. Although maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea....keeping 5 year olds off them.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/act/pub/0025/print.html

Was actually updated and quite some time ago too - section 86 there inserts the 40km/h limit to the 2004 Act. Never noticed that.

• Advertisement

There's DEFINITELY no legal speed limit of 45km/h

Calm down buddy! I didn't mean to insult your knowledge of speed limit multiples, but I think you'll find on Tivoli hill, there is a speed limit of 45kph..

Calm down buddy! I didn't mean to insult your knowledge of speed limit multiples, but I think you'll find on Tivoli hill, there is a speed limit of 45kph..

Its not legally valid in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Its on private property, so its technically not legally binding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No technically about it. It is totally unenforceable.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Its on private property, so its technically not legally binding.

It's not private property, it's a main road. technically called "silversprings lane" but I know It as Tivoli hill.

rBbVv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

It's not private property, it's a main road. technically called "silversprings lane" but I know It as Tivoli hill.

rBbVv.jpg
    Have you ever got 40 kph going up that bump?

O.A.P wrote: »
    Have you ever got 40 kph going up that bump?
    going up it? not a chance, it's pretty steep in person. going down it? yeah for sure. You'd easily freewheel at 50 down it, it goes for about a km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

going up it? not a chance, it's pretty steep in person. going down it? yeah for sure. You'd easily freewheel at 50 down it, it goes for about a km.
    Not on my bike ye would'nt :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

pete4130 wrote: »
    A friend of mine got a ticket for cycling above 30mph in the Phoenix park several years ago. He thanked the Garda for the ticket. In court the Judge had heard he'd been cheeky to the officer and he got fined. He has the ticket framed.

I read the park by-laws a while ago, and it stated the spped limit for a bike was something like no more than 10mph and you could receive a fine of no more that £10.
    Not doubting your story. But, I wonder if your friend was fined for beeing cheeky, more than anything else?
    UK has an offense titled "Furious Cycling" I kid you not. I could never find out if the law remained here after independence.

One of the N'rn Ireland champion cyclists ( can't remember which..) was actually done for it just before the demise of the R.U.C. He came around a corner in a T.T and couldn't stop soon enough for an RUC officer.
    Judge went bananas and threw the whole thing out.

http://www.criminal-solicitors.com/bicycles.htm

" A £200 fine is set for furious cycling."
    I believe that's still in place here.
    So if its an electric bicycle you can be done, since its a mechanically propelled vehicle ?

You are supposed to be taxed and insured for those. How many are is anyone's guess

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Friend of mine whizzed past the gardi doing the limit in a 30 zone on the way back from college in dublin city centre one day. They pulled him over and fined him!

• Advertisement

guyfo wrote: »
    Friend of mine whizzed past the gardi doing the limit in a 30 zone on the way back from college in dublin city centre one day. They pulled him over and fined him!
    I love doing that to the cycle gardai around cork. they're ridiculously slow to be fair..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

for what offence?

for what offence?
    anti-social behavior perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

for what offence?

public urination? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    You are supposed to be taxed and insured for those. How many are is anyone's guess

Nope. Doesn't apply to them as they have a maximum assisted speed of 25km/h and a power less then 250W. Anything above the 25km/h and the 250w threshold is classified as a moped (and then needs insurance and helmets etc...) and anything below is a bicycle.

See here for the euro regulation.
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32002L0024:en:NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

hdowney wrote: »
    It poses an interesting question all the same. One of the reasons (if not the only reason) for speed limits, particularly in built up areas such as the main street of a town is to have the car travelling at a safe speed (eg so they can stop if a child legs it out in front of them - stopping distances and the like). In these cases it could possibly be prudent to have some sort of inforcement for cyclists (not necessarily a speed limit per say, more a 'careful and mindful driving law'). I say this because cyclists can easily build up a head of steam, especially coming down a hill, and if they were to hit someone (say a child) whilst going quite fast it could cause some damage, both to them and the person they hit. And where would the law stand in cases like that.

Sorry for the wall o text!
    Mother was ran over a few years ago by a bike courier in town.
    BX 19 wrote: »
    No, because they don't have a speedometer.

30 years ago many bikes had speedo's... and I don't mean on the riders ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Mother was ran over a few years ago by a bike courier in town.

30 years ago many bikes had speedo's... and I don't mean on the riders ;-)

Hope your mother was ok after that. Bike couriers in particular build up quite the head of steam and can clip someone fair fierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭smilgy

A friend of mine was caught doing 60 downhill on his road bike in a 50 zone. The guard pulled him over and asked how fast he was going and obviously he didn't know and then he was left go without a fine. True story

EDIT: It was actually 62 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

hdowney wrote: »
    Hope your mother was ok after that. Bike couriers in particular build up quite the head of steam and can clip someone fair fierce.
    Thanks, Luckily for both of them she was ok, she's elderly and if something broke, her quality of life could be ruined permanently. Happened in a pedestrian area, so you can imagine I don't have much time for "laws don't apply to cyclists" .
    Equally I appreciate good behaviour from cyclists.

• Advertisement

Remember also that bike couriers earn their living by how fast they can peddle their bike. They only get around €3 for each package they deliver and if one is in Douglas, and the other is in Mayfield, they're gonna want to get there as fast as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement