Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carl Frampton v Kiko Martinez, EBU title @ Odyssey Arena, Belfast. Sept 22. SKY Sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

On the undercard - Celtic Tiger Eamonn O’Kane faces Craig Windsor in title fight

http://www.boxing-ireland.com/news/celtic-tiger-eamonn-okane-faces-craig-windsor-in-title-fight/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTE72

What an effing disgraceful thread... Go's to show bigotry is alive and kicking in the grand old republic.
    I was searching boards to see what happened with framption and martinez from a BOXING view and found 5 pages of useless information instead.

BTE72 wrote: »
    What an effing disgraceful thread... Go's to show bigotry is alive and kicking in the grand old republic.
    I was searching boards to see what happened with framption and martinez from a BOXING view and found 5 pages of useless information instead.

not sure I see any bigotry there at all. You are obviously easily offended.

They are just having a discussion, I dont see anyone going OTT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Easily Offended? Possibly..
    I did a search for "Carl Frampton" in this Forum "Boxing" and found this thread to hoping to get some info on the coverage, news on the fight etc.... Got nothing of the like from it.
    Mostly political and religious views on offer here .. perhaps the title should have been altered or thread moved to after hours or something more general.

• Advertisement

barney4001 wrote: »

Thanks for the link.... Martinez put on some show!

BTE72 wrote: »
    Easily Offended? Possibly..
    I did a search for "Carl Frampton" in this Forum "Boxing" and found this thread to hoping to get some info on the coverage, news on the fight etc.... Got nothing of the like from it.
    Mostly political and religious views on offer here .. perhaps the title should have been altered or thread moved to after hours or something more general.

discussing his religion and background is a load of bollocks but it doesnt equate to sectarianism. Anyway, I've supported that lad from day one and hope he goes all the way.

Keep him away from Rigo and he probably will go all the way

Keep him away from Rigo and he probably will go all the way

you think you could handle Nishioka or Donaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Johnnyp84

Question re Belfast in general. Tipp man going up to the frampton fight this weekend, first time in belfast. Is there any places you wouldn't want to stray or would need to be careful around ? Recommend any good pubs, places for a bit of grub ? Anyone with genuine info would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Johnnyp84 wrote: »
    Question re Belfast in general. Tipp man going up to the frampton fight this weekend, first time in belfast. Is there any places you wouldn't want to stray or would need to be careful around ? Recommend any good pubs, places for a bit of grub ? Anyone with genuine info would be greatly appreciated.

Anywhere round the cathedral quarter and ur grand, ask for mc hugh's pub at custom house square for a few pints, nice wee pub. You won't have any trouble near there, centre of the town or the south of the city i'd imagine. I doubt you would even stray anywhere unsavoury, but the rule of thumb would be to stay out of East Belfast.

any more questions feel free to pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Molitor is absolutely shot, but Frampton is physically very strong.

The test will be when he is matched for physicality. Still reckon Quigg will ask him questions, although frampton is the better fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Frampton was very impressive, although it has to be mentioned that at this stage of his career Molitor really didn't have the appetite for a battle.

Carl's tactics of jumping on him straight away and letting him know it was going to be a long, hard night, especially as the Canadian didn't have the punch to keep him off, were spot on. He kept pressing him with clever footwork and though it was hard to land more than one punch at a time, it was relentless - but with intelligence.

Passed his first big test with flying colours.

Disturbing, deluded post.

do it really matter what foot Carl kicks with he is a boxer first and foremost and a damn good one at that,religion is a lot of ballocks anyway who cares, why bring it into a sports forum

you think you could handle Nishioka or Donaire?
    on last nights showing he should

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Classy performance from Frampton, the kid has got a big future.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Assuiming Molitor retires (which he clearly should going on that performance) it's kind of sad to see him go out like that. His heart for boxing looks like it has completely gone, much like Miranda a couple of weeks ago. Maybe he was trying to bank a few more quid before packing it in. I'm not sure I could blame him, but from the point of view of creating a spectacle for the fans it really disappointed.

Anyway, onwards and upwards for Frampton hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anywhere to watch this fight? Missed it completely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Hmmm, I think you're jumping the gun a bit.
    I'm not saying he won't eventually, but Donaire in particular is an outstanding boxer and Nishioka is extremely fast and tricky. Let him take his time yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

A great time to be coming good anyways, plenty of big fights out there. Frampton looks likely to be the island's biggest pro boxing star in nearly two decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

anyone think it was a bit disingenuous of molitor to say Frampton needs to work on his power as he didnt really feel it? Despite clearly getting out of there at every available opportunity when frampton landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Syferus wrote: »
    A great time to be coming good anyways, plenty of big fights out there. Frampton looks likely to be the island's biggest pro boxing star in nearly two decades.

^^ the island, very diplomatic:D, even if it makes us sound like something out of father ted. but totally agree hes getting better and better i think he is more than capable for the likes of quigg or munroe and by the time he comes up against the rigos etc i think he will be ready for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Lol. He beat a shot version of an incredibly weak title holder in his prime. For Carl to do that in just his fifteenth fight was impressive and he looks very promising but have a bit of perspective ffs. Donaire is an established p4p boxer and Nishioka ain't far off him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Amazing how Molitor has now become an average fighter. Steve was a solid champion and no one thought Carl would beat him like that. Just look at the odds before the fight.

As it turns out Carl caught Steve at the right time, regardless it was a great win for Frampton

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I personally was never all that excited with Molitor, even in his prime, but the other night he really had little to offer. Sure, Carl did well, but Molitor really is toast at this stage. Steady improvement in opposition, but nothing to get too excited about.

Molitor never dominated the division but he was at least a solid top 10, at least.

No one expected Frampton to take him apart like that. Granted some guys get old over night and that seems to be the case. That aint Carl's problem he was all over him from the bell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I think it is safe to assume from the Molitor fight that Frampton will be competitive at least at world level.
    It might turn out that he will struggle to beat the very best but he has shown very little weaknesses so far.

I think it is safe to assume from the Molitor fight that Frampton will be competitive at least at world level.
    It might turn out that he will struggle to beat the very best but he has shown very little weaknesses so far.

Definitely, whilst Molitor was not Elite he usually beat the contenders and beat them pretty easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

T-K-O wrote: »
    Amazing how Molitor has now become an average fighter. Steve was a solid champion and no one thought Carl would beat him like that. Just look at the odds before the fight.

As it turns out Carl caught Steve at the right time, regardless it was a great win for Frampton

Edit. Misinterpreted your post.

Advertisement