Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carl Frampton v Kiko Martinez, EBU title @ Odyssey Arena, Belfast. Sept 22. SKY Sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

I see McCloskey is on the bill too. I thought he would probably pack it in after the Corley fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

el flaco wrote: »
    I see McCloskey is on the bill too. I thought he would probably pack it in after the Corley fight.
    don't like McCloskey thinks he is a lot better than he is

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

hope martinez beats him just to shut barry mcguigan up

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Pat Magee talks at Dougie Curran and Kiko Martinez fight ahead of Carl Frampton (inc weigh in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZctBiSzygL4&feature=channel&list=UL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

risteard7 wrote: »

So we're at the stage where we're begrudging our own fighters before they've even hit their peak, eh? Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Syferus wrote: »
    So we're at the stage where we're begrudging our own fighters before they've even hit their peak, eh? Pathetic.

Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

What's wrong with McGuigan? Comes across quite honest and likeable imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Wouldnt be the biggest fans of Barrys slabbering about Carl either but thats some seriously poor form there. :cool:

Our fighters? hes british
    Carl frampton was born in northern ireland which last time i checked was in great britain.

carl is a protestant from a loyalist area. if you want to be deluded and think carl is representing the tri_colour fair enough
    now i know this is a boxing forum and dont want to bring politics into it but i am merely stating facts and they are facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Carl frampton was born in northern ireland which last time i checked was in great britain.

carl is a protestant from a loyalist area. if you want to be deluded and think carl is representing the tri_colour fair enough
    now i know this is a boxing forum and dont want to bring politics into it but i am merely stating facts and they are facts.

Since you did bring it up - what country did Carl box for as an amateur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

pal, would you please stop trying to raise it up, McGuigan is a decent skin, he obviously thinks big of this kid, everyone will be looking forward to the fight and nobody needs someone like you come on and start stirring it.... good nite kid

Didn't seem to have a problem representing the tri-colour when he was winning silver for Ireland at the EU championships in 2007. Maybe he was trying to contain his loyalist rage the whole time, though.

You're just digging the hole deeper for yourself by trying to make it into a loyalist/nationalist issue. Both sides are Irish and he most certainly is Irish. I couldn't care a jot what area of the country or what his or his family's politics are. Simply put, your attitude is a stone age mentality that's mired somewhere in 1981.

Join us in the year 2012, won't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Disturbing, deluded post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Lads it's a boxing forum not an Irish lovefest. There's nothing wrong with him wanting a boxer to get beat one way or another, him being Irish shouldn't matter a ****, he's only just now about to step up his competition and McGuigan has been ****eing on about him like he's the next messiah, long before said praise was due.

The other by products of this discussion are pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Even if he is Protestant or from a Loyalist area, so what?

He was born on the island of Ireland; that to me, makes him Irish regardless of religious or political views.

Don't see why people bother distinguishing between the north and the south, we're a tiny little island at the end of the day.

Lads it's a boxing forum not an Irish lovefest. There's nothing wrong with him wanting a boxer to get beat one way or another, him being Irish shouldn't matter a ****, he's only just now about to step up his competition and McGuigan has been ****eing on about him like he's the next messiah, long before said praise was due.

Hoping any fighter gets beat, let alone one from your own country, just because their manager rubbed you up the wrong way in praising their fighter isn't a valid contribution to a discussion.

Hoping any fighter gets beat, let alone one from your own country, just because their manager rubbed you up the wrong way in praising their fighter isn't a valid contribution to a discussion.

I don't see how you deem it your job to determine what is valid and what is not... people have disliked boxers for far less.

You're completely missing the point.

He brought politics, religion and bigotry into a boxing forum. He never mentioned anything about liking or disliking Frampton.

As for Barry promoting his abilities - well that's his job! He's his manager ffs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

This is a boxing forum what dos it matter what Framptons religion is ,Barry has been singing Framptons abilities since he turned pro and so far he has done very well for himself,just lets hope he can go the whole way to a world title Barry gave the boxing fans in ireland many great nights so get behind Frampton and cheer him to hopefully world domination,this religious crap has no place on a sports board

came across this verse just take it as it is a wind up to the foolishness of bigotory

The Arab Orange Order

A loyal band of Orangemen from Ulster 's lovely land,
    They could not march upon the Twelfth – processions were all banned,
    So off they flew till the Middle East this dreadful law till dodge
    And they founded in Jerusalem the Arab Orange Lodge.

Big Ali Bei who charmed the snakes – he was the first recruit,
    John James McKeague frae Portglenone taught him till play the flute,
    And as the oul' Pied Piper once was followed by the rats,
    There followed Ali till the lodge, ten snakes in bowler hats.

They made a marital picture as they marched along the shore,
    It stirred the blood when Ali played 'The fez my father wore',
    And Yussef Ben Mohammed hit the Lambeg such a bash,
    It scared the livin daylights frae a camel in a sash.

Now the movement spread both far and wide – there were lodges by the score,
    The 'Jerusalem Purple Heroes was the first of many more,
    The 'Loyal Sons of Jeddah' and 'The Mecca Purple Star',
    And 'The Rising Sons of Jericho' who came by motor car.

The banners too were wonderful and some would make you smile,
    King Billy on his camel as he splashed across the Nile
    But the 'Tyre and Sidon Temperance' had the best one of them all,
    For they had a lovely picture of Damascus Orange Hall!

The Apprentice Boys of Amman marched beneath the blazing sun,
    The Royal Black Perceptory were negroes every one,
    And the lodges came from Egypt , and the Abu Simbel Falls
    And they shouted 'No Surrender' and ‘We'll guard old Cairo's walls'!

But when the ban was lifted and the lodges marched at last,
    The Arabs all decided for till march right through Belfast
    And they caused a lot of trouble before they got afloat,
    For they could not get the camels to board the Heysham boat!

Now camels blocked up Liverpool and camels blocked Stranraer,
    And the Sheik of Kuwait came along in his great big motor car,
    But 'The Eastern Magic' L.O.L., they worked a crafty move,
    They got on their magic carpets and flew in till Aldergrove.

When they came till Castle Junction – where once stood the wee kiosk,
    They dug up Royal Avenue to build an Arab mosque,
    And McGuinness says till Gerry Adams - 'I think it's time till go,
    For there's half a million camels coming down frae Sandy Row!'

The speeches at the field that day were really something new
    For some were made in Arabic and some were in Hebrew,
    But just as Colonel Gadaffi had got up till sing 'The Queen',
    I woke up in my bed at home and found it was a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

thats typical of the attitude in this country we cant seem to get behind our own
    sports persons, as far as im concerned ireland is one of the greatest boxing nations in the world when you look at the size and population etc. what inspiration does it give to any irish sports man or woman when they have a******es like you to look for support from. carl frampton has been representing ireland for years and i think hes a class act and hope he gets cheered on by all irish boxing fans

thats typical of the attitude in this country we cant seem to get behind our own
    sports persons, as far as im concerned ireland is one of the greatest boxing nations in the world when you look at the size and population etc. what inspiration does it give to any irish sports man or woman when they have a******es like you to look for support from. carl frampton has been representing ireland for years and i think hes a class act and hope he gets cheered on by all irish boxing fans

Firstly less of the name calling... there's no place for it.

It's complete crap to insinuate we have to blindly support or get behind out own just because they were born in Ireland. I'm all for getting behind a young up and coming Irish talent, but it's bull**** to give out stink just because someone else doesn't have the same blind patriotism as you do.

He has every right not to like McGuigan or Frampton, and shouldn't have to justify his reasoning to you.

megadodge wrote: »

He brought politics, religion and bigotry into a boxing forum. He never mentioned anything about liking or disliking Frampton.

As for Barry promoting his abilities - well that's his job! He's his manager ffs!!!
    I addressed this in my previous post by saying the other by products (Religion etc.) were pointless.

Firstly less of the name calling... there's no place for it.

It's complete crap to insinuate we have to blindly support or get behind out own just because they were born in Ireland. I'm all for getting behind a young up and coming Irish talent, but it's bull**** to give out stink just because someone else doesn't have the same blind patriotism as you do.

He has every right not to like McGuigan or Frampton, and shouldn't have to justify his reasoning to you.

I addressed this in my previous post by saying the other by products (Religion etc.) were pointless.

You're right to say he has every right to like or dislike someone, the only problem here is we don't know whether he likes or dislikes Carl Frampton, because he never said so, he just spouted the other "pointless" tripe and that's what has pissed people off.

I would have thought that was very obvious.

A couple of years ago Ireland was awash with would be world champions according to the press only one delivered Brendan Dunne maybe Brian Magee not sure if he did win the title but him and Frampton are our best hopes to do so for now but Frampton and Magee are our best hopes on the horizon no matter what foot they kick with keepreligion and politics out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

barney4001 wrote: »
    A couple of years ago Ireland was awash with would be world champions according to the press only one delivered Brendan Dunne maybe Brian Magee not sure if he did win the title but him and Frampton are our best hopes to do so for now but Frampton and Magee are our best hopes on the horizon no matter what foot they kick with keepreligion and politics out of it

Andy Lee is worthy of a version of the MW world title. He is certainly as good as Sylvester/Sturm who used to hold the MW belts

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Andy Lee is worthy of a version of the MW world title. He is certainly as good as Sylvester/Sturm who used to hold the MW belts

That really tells one the state of the division if Lee is worthy of a world title. Hate to be harsh, but what else can one say? I could really dig deep and try and justify this claim you made, but I can't. Oh, and before any sensitive folks jump in, this is not personal. Lee comes across as a real decent lad. Just not at all what I would consider a quality pro. And getting brutalised in a few rds against Chavez tells me that he's not at all worthy. Although, as you say, there are versions.

BTW, Sturm is one of history's most average champions.

All i said was i didnt like mc guigan and hoped frampton would lose.
    am i not entitled to say that? then everybody jumps down my neck because
    im not supporting an "irish" boxer.

Im a boxing fan in general, ill give my opinions on boxers,promoters and
    managers regardless where there from. i dont have to be narrow minded
    just because there"irish"

Oh, you said a hell of alot more than that. Own up to your BS or don't respond, but don't piss on us and say it's a summer shower.

You're right to say he has every right to like or dislike someone, the only problem here is we don't know whether he likes or dislikes Carl Frampton, because he never said so, he just spouted the other "pointless" tripe and that's what has pissed people off.

I would have thought that was very obvious.

My original post was in answer to people saying it was "bad form" to not support one of our own.

I kept my point as far away from the religion aspect as possible.

• Advertisement

That would be fine if it actually was "all you said".
    Remarkable how you seem to forget the following post

That's what people are jumping down your neck over.
    Stop trying to bullsh!t your way out of it.

Advertisement