Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrant workers demand new residency scheme

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

IrishAm wrote: »
    Great stuff.

That's life.

Shatter gifting citizenship to 40,000 "new Irish" since April 2011 says differently.

You live in Holland. Why do you think the open minded liberal Dutch went from welcoming one and all to voting for the far right Geert Wilders in their millions?

One for you to ponder on.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just to throw in my 2 cents,

I personally know a family that came to Ireland 25 years ago on a Holiday Visa and they've been here ever since and raised their children here.

In that time they've bought a house ,had jobs (College Lecturer) and been productive members of society, they even have PPSN Numbers and are in the eyes of an employer 'legal' employees.

Employers in Ireland do not check passports and such, employees only have to have a PPSN number.

However they have Non EU passports without a Visa.

It just got to a stage that they were afraid if they applied for Naturalisation, they would fail and would lose everything (house, friends, job etc)

Recently the Mother went to her home country on short notice as her mother was dying, when she came back she was stopped at Shannon and then had a choice between Limerick Prison or to book the next flight back to her home country at her own expense.

Bizarrely, this is in a country where a Drug dealer selling heroin to kids can get a suspended sentence.

She now has an exclusion period of a number of years and cannot get back to her Husband or children, her husband cannot see her because he cannot leave the country.

They are now in Limbo and trying to sell the house and move back to their home country.

Back when they first came to Ireland this wasn't a big deal and the Irish were doing the same thing in other countries. In more recent years they've been clamping down on it and the whole process of Naturalisation has become more expensive and time consuming.

The opinion of people on this thread disgusts me tbh, everyone makes assumptions that its all people from poor countries working in fields picking strawberries, when in fact a lot of these people have PPSN Numbers, pay PAYE, PRSI and have been working here for some time.

I'm Irish and I've been Living in the Netherlands for the last 5 years, I'm a cross border commuter between Germany and the Netherlands. I am sad to say that every time I go back to visit Ireland it becomes more and more xenophobic, I hear more hate toward the Germans, opinions on Germany and the Netherlands and on Foreigners in General

- We can't afford these foreign leeches not working
    - Damn Eastern Europeans claiming dole in Ireland

<OT>: Just a point on that, you claim your Social Welfare where you worked, it would be the same for an Irish person that worked in Germany and moved back to Ireland. </OT>

For example, the fallacy that the German People are sick of paying for Europe is simply not true, well, maybe half true. The German People do not want to throw 'good money after bad' as we Irish would put it. They want an open and free Europe whereby countries look after each other in this European Union.

Mainly they just want to know where the money is going and is it going to be a black hole.

With the issue of Illegal Immigrants and registration etc, I do not think that anyone in Ireland realises how much personal freedom you lose when you have strict controls over monitoring a populations movements.

For example here in the Netherlands it is legally required to register with the Gemeente (City Hall), in The Hague this was in the IND Office (Foreign Police) they checked your details and registered you against your address. You are legally required to carry Identification with you at all times, if questioned by the Police and you do not have any, you will be arrested until your identity can be verified.

In Ireland, you just turn up and work after getting your PPSN number (If from an EU Country) If the Gardai stop you, you just give your name and address and thats 'Grand' unless you look foreign.

So anyway, my point is, that we as Irish people take a lot for granted, we have free travel all across the European Union, we have a relatively good life in Ireland, the country is not bursting at the seams.

It would make sense for these people that have been in the country to be able to live here and be 'legal' and continue what they are doing.

Its horrible to see people tar them as 'Dirty Immigrants' or 'leeches on society'

Hell, you probably know one or two of them and would never know that they are not 'legal'.

Simple question, why didn't they apply to become citizens seeing as they are here 25 years?
    Also I have no problem saying if someone is illegal here then they should be sent packing asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Simple question, why didn't they apply to become citizens seeing as they are here 25 years?
    Also I have no problem saying if someone is illegal here then they should be sent packing asap.

AFAIK its because they were afraid it wouldn't work out for one or all of them.

And it was never an issue unless they traveled outside Ireland.

Nobody told them this was the case either and they've dealt with multiple Government offices over the years (Revenue, Social Service, HSE, Department of Education etc) one of them worked for a College ffs :)

I agree with you they should have, but just saying it's not as cut and dry as "they should have done x or y" its easy to say these things when your on the outside looking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gingles

it would encourage them to come over thats how

haaaahahaha i love the 'them' part!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭trashcan

They need to talk to a good solicitor, for example I do not think a person can be excluded for a set period in the above circumstances, and only a section 3 deportation order could apply.

I have worked on such cases this family need good advice. If you want a good solicitor pm me.

Sounds more like she was refused leave to land. Section 3 is quite an involved process and involves the opportunity to make representations to the Department. Also, Deportation Orders don't have a set exclusion period. They are valid unless and until revoked. Didn't think refusal of leave to land involved an exclusion order either. Only thing I'm aware of which does is a removal order, which is mainly for EU citizens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement