Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrant workers demand new residency scheme

Options
  • 19-07-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

THE Irish Migrant Rights Centre today presented over 4,000 signatures to the Department of Justice calling for a new way for undocumented workers to earn residency rights here.

The petition has urged the Government to introduce an "earned residency scheme" where undocumented migrants can apply for legal status after five years.

A spokesperson for the campaign said that there were currently 30,000 undocumented people currently living in the Ireland.

They come from a wide range of countries including Brazil, the Philippines and Pakistan.

Around 30 people, including a number of undocumented migrants, presented the petition to the minister's special advisor at the department headquarters.

There is currently no process to allow undocumented migrants, such as those still working here despite an expired visa, to gain regularisation.

- Luke Byrne

Source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/migrant-workers-demand-new-residency-scheme-3173005.html

I just saw this on RTE yesterday I just wanna know what are your thoughts about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

What are yours?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

it could bring an upsurge of migrants into the country,while our own are emigrating for jobs btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

it could bring an upsurge of migrants into the country,while our own are emigrating for jobs btw

How exactly? When it's specifically dealing with people here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

IMO. They're in no position to demand anything if they're here illegally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Seriously? If you cross the US border illegally you get shot in the face. If you cross the irish border you get told that you have to wait a while before you get your free house and social welfare

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Mena wrote: »
    How exactly? When it's specifically dealing with people here already.

it would encourage them to come over thats how

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The Irish complaining about illegal migrant workers - the irony is most entertaining.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

sort our own problems out before looking after other countries,we have enough here we cant get rid of already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

From the Figures 26000 Migrants dont care for the Scheme.

Majority wins

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Super Poppa Smurf

As a migrant who has always followed the rule of the law, I do not think these folks should get amnesty. It is not right for folks like me who stand in lines with proper documentation and letters of reference over the years to rightly seek the right to stay within the state by legal means. It would be slap on the cheek for nurses, doctors, IT professionals, accountants, etc who all reside in the state as legal migrants. We have done things by the book, contributed to the economy, paid our taxes, and when the time is right as set by Irish law will become naturalized Irish citizens. There has to be a rule of law or this nation will change and we will not know what hit us. I would not be able to do my job without proper documentation so how do these folks still have jobs (when we have such high employment!!!). All I ask is that the legal migrants do not forgotten for their contribution to the state and be recognized for following the rule of the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

The majority of these people work in menial jobs, if they were skilled, they could of availed of a work permit during the boom years.

Lots of permits bandied about then.

So, if they were regularised, wouldnt they then lose their main reason for being employed, i.e not being protected by labour laws(8.65 an hour, paid leave etc)?

I suspect they would be dropped by their employers like a hot potato and the state would have to look after them.

Anyway, yes they should be deported. Just like the illegals in America before some flute brings up that argument.

The Irish complaining about illegal migrant workers - the irony is most entertaining.

Why?

Are you referring to the illegal Irish in America? The Irish make up just 0.25% of the total of illegal immigrants in America(30,000). Most come from northern border countries and county Galway(Irish American conference 2010). There are twice as many illegal Canadians(65,000 as per wiki) as illegal Irish.

America has a population of 300,000,000 plus, is a continent sized nation with resources to boot. Ireland is a bankrupt rock on the west of Europe.

You are really comparing like with like there, pal.

DylanII wrote: »
    If you cross the US border illegally you get shot in the face. If you cross the irish border you get told that you have to wait a while before you get your free house and social welfare

Cross the Canadian border off the beaten track and into Maine. Not a soul to be seen. More chance of getting attacked by a moose than getting shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

IrishAm wrote: »
    Why?

Are you referring to the illegal Irish in America? The Irish make up just 0.25% of the total of illegal immigrants in America(30,000).

A greater percentage of the population of the entire country (Ireland) is in the US illegally.
    Most come from northern border countries and county Galway(Irish American conference 2010).

So what?
    There are twice as many illegal Canadians(65,000 as per wiki) as illegal Irish.

So Irish are illegal present in almost half the quantities of citizens of a country that shares a massive unpatrolled (mainly) shared land border.
    America has a population of 300,000,000 plus, is a continent sized nation with resources to boot.

With a 8.2% unemployment rate and no generous regime of welfare payments.
    Ireland is a bankrupt rock on the west of Europe.

Ah well then - all come over!

Irish are 'different' are they?

Why?

Are you referring to the illegal Irish in America? The Irish make up just 0.25% of the total of illegal immigrants in America(30,000). Most come from northern border countries and county Galway(Irish American conference 2010). There are twice as many illegal Canadians(65,000 as per wiki) as illegal Irish.

America has a population of 300,000,000 plus, is a continent sized nation with resources to boot. Ireland is a bankrupt rock on the west of Europe.

Are you suggesting that illegal immigration drains our Germany's resources?
    Notorioux wrote: »
    IMO. They're in no position to demand anything if they're here illegally

They've have, at least some, constitutional rights according to Laurentiu.

My only concern is why they have to have such bloody difficult names to spell! Laurentiu, Leontjajv... cant we just call them Bob.

Sorry I'm being flippant and not contributing to the question posed by the OP. Illegal immigration is a fact of life. As it stands they are here working, probably being exploited but more importantly not paying taxes. If they've been here for a certain amount fo time, working and not been caught there should be a mechanism for making them at least 'documented'.

Are you suggesting that illegal immigration drains our Germany's resources?

Yes. We have enough non EU unskilled immigrants, thank you very much. Illegals are criminals. The state should treat them as such.

Yes. We have enough non EU unskilled immigrants, thank you very much. Illegals are criminals. The state should treat them as such.

Lock um up in the Joy at the cost of €100,000 a year!! :eek:

MadsL wrote: »

Irish are 'different' are they?

No. Treat them however you deem fit. They are trespassers. Jail them, deport them, shoot them, I don't really care.

Lock um up in the Joy at the cost of €100,000 a year!! :eek:

Just get rid and have them blacklisted from ever stepping foot on EU soil again.

Just get rid and have them blacklisted from ever stepping foot on EU soil again.

Given that they managed to avoid detection... never mind I don't think we'll agree on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

No. Treat them however you deem fit. They are trespassers. Jail them, deport them, shoot them, I don't really care.

you are right.....but the system unfairly puts the burden of care on you......

and you have not been asked if you want it.......

Given that they managed to avoid detection... never mind I don't think we'll agree on this one.

Indeed. Some have managed to avoid detection even though they are named in the article(giving their location) the OP linked to. Doesnt require James Bond to track them down, pal.

If the government offered a few quid for tip offs, Id have a dozen caught myself.

Indeed. Some have managed to avoid detection even though they are named in the article the OP linked to. Doesnt require James Bond to track them down, pal.

If the government offered a few quid for tip offs, Id have a dozen caught myself.

Surely the lower taxes would be reward enough.

Surely the lower taxes would be reward enough.

The Immigration quango of Ireland suggest that there are 30,000 illegals. Probably much higher, but I digress. These people do not qualify for permits as they are unskilled. That's 30,000 EU/Irish citizens off the dole.

A nice chunk of change saved by the state.

Sweet as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Avoid detection?

Seems the GNIB have never been to Gort

Uncle Chucks funding shall cease in 2016. So shall the Immigration Quango of Ireland.

Great news.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Avoid detection?

Seems the GNIB have never been to Gort

Yer man presumes these lads are like Snake from Metal Gear Solid. Travelling around, using stealth avoiding the GNIB, who are always on the prowl ready to pounce.

Of that 30,000 how many are doing actual bone fide jobs? I suspect many of them are working in take aways and cleaning firms that wouldn't be employing people if they weren't employing illegal migrant workers because the businesses wouldn't be there.

By making them legal at least they would be paying taxes. But your way could work too. It would mean a €20 for a kebab though. Still don't understand why you're not out there lowering taxes!

On the dole - do you think there are 30,000 that would take the jobs if they were available or do you think it'd be like the boom times again where doing certain jobs was below many Irish people. Its not as if there aren't jobs out there for the taking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Of that 30,000 how many are doing actual bone fide jobs? I suspect many of them are working in take aways and cleaning firms that wouldn't be employing people if they weren't employing illegal migrant workers because the businesses wouldn't be there.

By making them legal at least they would be paying taxes. But your way could work too. It would mean a €20 for a kebab though. Still don't understand why you're not out there lowering taxes!

On the dole - do you think there are 30,000 that would take the jobs if they were available or do you think it'd be like the boom times again where doing certain jobs was below many Irish people. Its not as if there aren't jobs out there for the taking now.

that is is worst excuse i have ever read...........yes, you did write it....

• Advertisement

There are many people who would love to earn 8.65 euro an hour making kebabs.

Listening to you spoof on,I wonder, how did europeans ever survive throughout history without the aid of non europeans ?

Europe and indeed Ireland, is suffering an unprecedented unemployment crisis. Deport all illegals, rip up the Geneva convention, clamp down like a tonne of bricks on sham marriages and only allow highly skilled non EU citizens settle within the EU.

Unemployment crisis partly solved.

Advertisement