Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What keeps you interested?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

When you feel like having a slump check if people at work are sneezing or coughing more than usual. It could be just a virus making its rounds and making you weaker too.

Just take it easy on the bike, try to stay more in the cardio and aerobic zones. Even if you feel like crap and you do go out, after about 15-20min on the bike you should start feeling better.

Bit of caution with strava though. A visit to a physio might be a good idea before you start using it. Just tell the physio that you are about to take up cycle racing and are wondering if the quads and knees are up for it. I did it the other way round and after 3 months of physio the left knee is still a bit iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Hmmzis wrote: »
    When you feel like having a slump check if people at work are sneezing or coughing more than usual. It could be just a virus making its rounds and making you weaker too.

Another thing that affects motivation is lack of sleep and weakens your system and leaves you open to colds etc.

regarding Strava - if you only cycle less than 100km (battery life is a problem above that) and feel like an upgrade you can pick up a smartphone from around 60€. Strava itself is free.

anyway as someone said on Boards... you might regret eating or drinking but you'll never regret doing exercise :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

At the moment finding it hard to get motivated to get out on the bike with the crap weahter. Havent been on it since the ROK, i think i'll have to sign up for another sportive to have something to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

It's doing the same thing repeatedly that saps motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Many of us start packed with a lot of enthusiasm but end distracted on the way. We don’t feel as passionate towards achieving our set targets. We have to push and drag ourselves to work further, and no longer enjoy it the way we used to.
    Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Any suggestions to overcome this?

Many of us start packed with a lot of enthusiasm but end distracted on the way. We don’t feel as passionate towards achieving our set targets. We have to push and drag ourselves to work further, and no longer enjoy it the way we used to.
    Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Any suggestions to overcome this?

Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Kav0777 wrote: »
    Strava

What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

It's doing the same thing repeatedly that saps motivation.

You can say that again.

You can say that again.

I would but I don't seem to have the motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

I would but I don't seem to have the motivation.

How come?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rosa.michelle

Just take it easy on the bike, try to stay more in the cardio and aerobic zones. Even if you feel like crap and you do go out, after about 15-20min on the bike you should start feeling better.

Bit of caution with strava though. A visit to a physio might be a good idea before you start using it. Just tell the physio that you are about to take up cycle racing and are wondering if the quads and knees are up for it. I did it the other way round and after 3 months of physio the left knee is still a bit iffy.

I was also thinking of an appointment with physio before attempting anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rosa.michelle

I tried betting myself that I will beat my own high score this weekend... Ah.. Failed, drastically!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

strava, new gear, mixing it up with a bit of xc and dh mtbing and most importantly.....nice fecking weather :( went for a 70k today only to turn around after 17k because the weather got too dangerous (winds and mist)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Just sue Strava for the cost of said physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Im cycling to loose weight and try to get fit again, but deffo STRAVA

When u have a few collegues following you on it, the drive not to give in becomes much greater

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Raam wrote: »
    I use this. It's waterproof.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10885&ra=true

There are other newer bike options.
    Just regarding these Strava devices.... As I mentioned before, I have no Smerphone or Eye Pad, but I found my old Communicator at home. Would this work as a Strava device? It does have a GPS Unit built in for sure, because I used to use maps on that unit.
    Here is the specification of the unit. Does anybody have any experience with that phone and would this work with Strava?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Im back into cycling after a long break.. gonna buy me a hybrid soon but at the moment Im on a Trek mtb. Im cycling cause i like it. I dont see me racing but rather touring. I like to take the off roads and see where it leads me, almost into a ditch this morning but thats the fun.
    Im a amateur photographer so I bring my camera with me because ya never know.

I use strava only to analysis where i have been cause when i am there i dont always know where i am and if i like it plan another route back. I like my cycle routes to be in a circle and not the same road out and back.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Struggling myself. I set myself a distance goal a year ago and I achieved it. Now finding it hard to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭ccull123

The pain cycling up a hill and the sense of achievement after!!

Cycling up I often say "what the f#%k am I at. I could be in bed now". When I get to the top I wanna do it again:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Seweryn wrote: »
    Just regarding these Strava devices.... As I mentioned before, I have no Smerphone or Eye Pad, but I found my old Communicator at home. Would this work as a Strava device? It does have a GPS Unit built in for sure, because I used to use maps on that unit.
    Here is the specification of the unit. Does anybody have any experience with that phone and would this work with Strava?

It needs to log your ride in any of the following formats - .gpx, .tcx, .json, and .fit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thankfully I still love getting out for a spin a few times a week. I stick to the same 20k loop during the week and then pick a longer 40-50k route at the weekend.

The weather can be off putting but so long as its not raining when I'm leaving then ill head out even if I know it's going to rain but I hate going out if it's already raining and do don't bother but usually regret it later on.

I'm dreading the winter, I work 8-4 and cycling isn't a commute option and so weekends will be the only time I might be able to get out so thinking I'll have to join a gym to stay in some sort of reasonable shape throughout the winter.

Advertisement