Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What keeps you interested?

Options
  • 19-07-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Many of us start packed with a lot of enthusiasm but end distracted on the way. We don’t feel as passionate towards achieving our set targets. We have to push and drag ourselves to work further, and no longer enjoy it the way we used to.
    Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Any suggestions to overcome this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I find it's the times you really don't feel like going out that you should go out. I then feel far better when I come back, and I'm glad I went.

If you're not in a club, I'd suggest joining one. It does help keep your interest, and I feel it "makes" you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Buy new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Having more energy.
    Having a clear head.
    The feeling in your legs about an hour after a ride.
    Wanting to eat healthier before and after cycles, and at other times, being able to eat cakes, crisps and drink beer without feeling guilty.
    strava.com
    The countryside, views, scenery.
    A nice descent.
    Tailwinds.
    Stupid tan-lines.
    The company.
    My bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I like cycling for the sake of it. I don't need an upcoming race, sportive or weight loss to motivate me to go out for a spin.

If you don't like it anymore, take a break. Find something new. You might come back to it with renewed interest and you might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Racing.
    And cycling around Wicklow on a sunny day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

"Racing is Life - Everthing else is just Waiting" Steve Mc Queen - LeMans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

we all get slumps maybe because of the weather or whatever. you don't have to join a club as there are plenty of ppl here always looking for an excuse to cycle (see the "People to cycle with..." thread. I like doing sportives but its something I've only gotten into although I already loved long cycles going to Carlow and back once.

What kind of bike do you have and what kind of cycling do you like to do?

Try making bets with yourself eg I cycled so much last week Im going to beat it this week or beat my speed on this stretch of road (check out Strava). I'm trying to lose weight but I found that if I didn't track how much I was doing I could easily lose momentum etc. Now I try and reach a basic mileage and try to up it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Raam wrote: »
    Buy new stuff.

Buy expensive new stuff - nothing like the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when you see a pricey bit of kit sitting idle when you know you've no real excuse for not being out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

STRAVA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Sell your car. Obviously I love cycling just for the sake of it but since I have no car and no really viable public transport options where I'm living right now I have no choice but to be interested in cycling.

Mixing it up a little helps too. When I don't feel like heading out on the road bike I go mountain biking. When I want something a little bit more relaxed I break out the touring bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

It's doing the same thing repeatedly that saps motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

STRAVA
    What is it? I saw some links to maps with that name in the link, but I would appreciate more details.

Seweryn wrote: »
    What is it? I saw some links to maps with that name in the link, but I would appreciate more details.

http://www.strava.com/how-it-works

Sell your car. Obviously I love cycling just for the sake of it but since I have no car and no really viable public transport options where I'm living right now I have no choice but to be interested in cycling.
    I did the same. Well, I still own a car, but because it is shared, I only use the car few times per month.
    If you like cycling, you will look forward to every ride.

Very nice, thanks. But you have to own some sort of Smerphone or a GPS Unit as far as I can see, and I have got none of these...

Seweryn wrote: »
    Very nice, thanks. But you have to own some sort of Smerphone or a GPS Unit as far as I can see, and I have got none of these...

Now you know what to ask Santy for :)

Now you know what to ask Santy for :)
    :D

I used to have a hand held GPS unit. I think I would prefer it to anything for its ruggedness and waterproofing, but it was a bulky item. The watch looks interesting also and it is small. Not a big fan of Smerphones, still like my 13-year old N7110.

I use this. It's waterproof.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10885&ra=true

There are other newer bike options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Doctor Bob wrote: »

funny, I don't seem to ever get demotivated about drinking pints, even though I repeat that pretty frequently :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

funny, I don't seem to ever get demotivated about drinking pints, even though I repeat that pretty frequently :D

You're obviously not drinking enough!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rosa.michelle

Decryptor wrote: »
    I find it's the times you really don't feel like going out that you should go out. I then feel far better when I come back, and I'm glad I went.

If you're not in a club, I'd suggest joining one. It does help keep your interest, and I feel it "makes" you go.

I tried it many times, but I can't make it up!:(

Buy new stuff.

I hope that will work ;)

Having more energy.
    Having a clear head.
    The feeling in your legs about an hour after a ride.
    Wanting to eat healthier before and after cycles, and at other times, being able to eat cakes, crisps and drink beer without feeling guilty.
    strava.com
    The countryside, views, scenery.
    A nice descent.
    Tailwinds.
    Stupid tan-lines.
    The company.
    My bike.

Thanks for all the list.. :pac:

jaqian wrote: »
    we all get slumps maybe because of the weather or whatever. you don't have to join a club as there are plenty of ppl here always looking for an excuse to cycle (see the "People to cycle with..." thread. I like doing sportives but its something I've only gotten into although I already loved long cycles going to Carlow and back once.

What kind of bike do you have and what kind of cycling do you like to do?

Try making bets with yourself eg I cycled so much last week Im going to beat it this week or beat my speed on this stretch of road (check out Strava). I'm trying to lose weight but I found that if I didn't track how much I was doing I could easily lose momentum etc. Now I try and reach a basic mileage and try to up it.

I personally can't continue with a club. However I never tried betting myself :) I would try that!

Mixing it up a little helps too. When I don't feel like heading out on the road bike I go mountain biking. When I want something a little bit more relaxed I break out the touring bike.

I don't really think I have the guts to sell my car :cool: I will die of heart break :)
    However the second suggestion is really practical..

That is the number one cause. I bet it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Is there some sort of ironic echo going on in here?

Advertisement