Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Irish Racism in Britain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

djpbarry wrote: »
    the one place in the UK I would expect to encounter anti-Irishness is Glasgow..

Really the one place in the 'whole' of the UK(including NI)? From whom(apart from the usual eejits that is)?

I've lived in Glasgow for many years, and tbh have never really come across any anti-Irishness, at least from the decent folk that is! Glasgow and Scotland as a whole is pretty much like anywhere else(yes even Ireland), you'll get people who don't like you for the colour of your skin, your accent, your religion or maybe even just cos your eyes are wee bit too close together!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Madam wrote: »
    I've lived in Glasgow for many years, and tbh have never really come across any anti-Irishness...
    Sectarianism is a bit of a problem in Glasgow. It gets blown out of proportion by a lot of people, to the extent that people think Glasgow is a pretty dodgy place, but that doesn’t mean that the problem doesn’t exist. As a result of the Irish = Catholic association, Irish people in Glasgow do come in for abuse from individuals on the other side of "the divide".

There’s no need to get defensive though – I never said I don’t like Glasgow! Quite the opposite in fact – I think it’s probably the most under-rated city in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Well said and so so true. I have often met and worked with my fellow country men whilst in UK and I have to say that I was often not in the least surprised that a small few were not always met with the best of friendliness, as their own preconceived ideas and attitudes had remained with them long after they arrived. They tended to keep to their own whenever possible, only integrated when they had to and to be honest many of them did not display positive signs of friendliness towards their host country and it's people either. I found that very sad and at times quite embarrassing to be honest. I guess that too was built out of ignorance and lack of confidence..not sure, but it was very evident. Whilst working in a hospital on night duty, I recall two Irish nurses chatting to an Irish doctor and pretty much running down their English colleagues without reason. ( I also worked with the same people and found their stories to be totally unfounded) The doctor told them that they needed to perhaps change their own attitudes a little and be more open to change and to give those around them the same chance that they were given. He said that in his 30 years working in various areas, he had met nothing but friendliness, so sometimes one cannot help but think that there are times when people unwittingly draw bad attitudes by the very presence of their own. Of course the two people in question just shrugged and remained 'racist' themselves and yet continued to work and earn a good living, but leading a life of segregation by choice. I think there were many like them to be fair and it is sad really. Any thoughts on that side of things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I worked both in England and Scotland for a year and was the sole Irish person surrounded by British lads on jobs for a number of years and many of the stereotypes are alive and well. Thick Mick, Paddy load (carrying too much with disastrous consequences), Paddy McGinty, Thirty Three, a slew of potato jokes etc. etc.

I've had lads singing Rangers songs trying to get a rise out of me, a Norfolk taxi driver telling me he hated the Irish, a Geordie telling me (fairly randomly) to "get over the famine" (:confused:) One Scottish guy I worked with wouldn't talk to me because I was Irish. In the main, these were skilled, educated and well paid people, not the bottom rung of the ladder by any stretch.

But it doesn't stop there, there is an inherent sense of tribalism in the UK; the Gerodie's and Maccum's, Scousers universally hated "soft southern puffs", Yorkshiremen, Brummies, Cornwall lads, they all had deep seeded prejudices. And then you start talking about the foreigners, I'd never come across so many derogatory names for Indians, Arabs, Africans etc.

So yes, in my experience, there is plenty of anti-foreigner sentiment in the UK and if you are Irish, you get that brand of negativity.

The main point I take from your post is that anti-foreigner sentiment in UK is not just just reserved for the Irish but you could also be talking about many other parts of the world and not just UK . the Gerodie's , Maccum's, and Scousers may have their tribalism ( you could argue that each county in Ireland has that to ) but to say they are universally hated is way of the mark and as for derogatory names for Indians, Arabs, Africans etc, that doesn't go on in Ireland to ? What about the name calling by these same Indians, Arabs, Africans etc on whites ?

You can't just put all people in one neat little box ...we don't live in a black and white world .

Here here. So agree with that and I wonder if it is sometimes the case that, just like the type of child in school who is shy, introverted and lacking in confidence and self esteem attracts horrid bullies, so too perhaps some newcomers to another country are treated in a bad manner initially by such types, of which we know exist in every country. All one can say to those unfortunate to meet with this is to rise above it, distance yourself from such types where possible, or if it is that serious or continuous, then go to the proper authorities and report it. As they say, 'We only keep getting what we tolerate as far as unacceptable behavior is concerned'. To do nothing and let it fester encourages bitterness and resentment to a point one's bad experience can distort their thinking regarding the majority of good, kind and friendly non racist folk around us, regardless of country. On this thread, we are not hearing how those who met with racism dealt with it, how often it occurred, was it mainly from the same group of people and under what circumstances? Often as a result of drinking perhaps? That does not excuse it, but it would be interesting to know if these prejudices were displayed socially, or during the normal working hours from colleagues. I feel that those who met with this horrid discrimination were very unfortunate to have been in the company of the perpetrators and I feel therefore very grateful that I not once experienced any of it. What saddens me is the knowledge that the posters have been so impacted by it and one wishes that the majority of us who have not known racism personally could somehow renew their faith in the general public of the country in which they met such abuse, so that they are not feeling that they are a victim and left with a resentment that grows into an unhealthy bitterness, which extends towards the innocent, who do not have an ounce of discrimination in them. The word Hate is so so powerful and disturbing when it refers to a people of any nationality, quite frightening. I know this, as so often have I heard it used here in Ireland by people so young. When asked if they can justify this hostility, they shrug and just say 'Because' That is not good enough. Little wonder then that these same young people carry that hostility with them when they emigrate, which can hardly make things easier for them or ingratiate them with their hosts. The chip may not be visible, but it is hard to hide. If one resents a people and have made their mind up to dislike them before they even meet them, then why oh why go to their country seeking work, health care and in many cases free housing etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Christ well I must be a right f*cked up case. When I was living in England as a child, I was massively ridiculed for being Irish (despite speaking with an English accent and being born there!). Irish bastard, Irish cúnt etc, by friends and parents alike. Lots of friends parents were in the British army/SAS constantly used to ridicule me for being Irish. Music teacher in school in Ipswich used to speak to me in an Irish accent asking where we had our caravans parked in Ipswich etc (whole class would laugh) constantly questioned if my dad was in the IRA etc. Some of it was silly banter but some of it was quite serious.

So anyway I moved Omagh at age 14, and got started getting called an English bastard (lol), and of course because I went to an integrated school I was often said to be a protestant (because of my accent even though my parents were catholics). But then some protestants would call me a fenian bastard once they knew my parents were Irish catholics. Fenian with an English accent lol.

Look when you get to my situation you don't become very nationalistic when as you've been told by both countries that you don't belong in either so you reject both.

Basically wherever I go I'm going to get discrimination for either country as I have done my whole life, so you just get used to it. Irish bastard, English bastard, Orange Bastard, Fenian Bastard, I've been called them all.
    r3nu4l wrote:
    In 8 years living in East Anglia, I've only experienced three instances.
    i lived just outside cambridge for 33 years.......i foud that area was the least anti irish in the whole uk.....

I lived in Ipswich for 8 years and felt it was the most anti irish area we lived in. Different experiances for different people I guess then. :pac:

Hi ThomasFlynn! I am just so sorry to hear what you have been subjected to in both countries and the sort of people who dished out this vitriol must be very dysfunctional, angry and sad types. Nothing excuses their horrid behavior, but I hope that there is a chance that you have not allowed yourself to be anybody's victim in all of this and that you have risen above it, wretched and difficult as it must have been. If you read through the other posts you will see repetitive comments on how most of us believe that all racism is without doubt born out of pure unadulterated ignorance and perpetrated by those who would just as willingly berate their own if they did not meet up to their idea of how they should be. Have you ever watched gangs in various towns fight each other, almost to the death? That too is a form of the same thing. The inter regional name calling and insults...the same. Yet should these people be asked quite seriously why they behave that way, they will say that they don't know and that no, they do not have anything personal against any particular race, region etc. So there you see the ignorance and dysfunctional element coming through. I know it is difficult, but I would not take any of what those types say as personally directed to you. If you can even be bothered, I would feel sorry for such intellectually challenged people and just be very glad that you are not one of them. I hope that those horrid experiences have not left you too bitter or full of resentment, because you know what? It is not worth it and your life is way too precious to even waste time thinking about it. I also hope that in between the abuse that you had to deal with ( You didn't mention any positives) that there are were and still are some positive experiences taking place in your life. Did you never meet people who were the opposite to the ones you mentioned or was it all just that bad? As for the teacher, had you reported her comments she would have been dismissed from her post without doubt. I know of a teacher who unwittingly and without intention of causing offence made a scathing remark to one of her Indian pupils and she was dismissed and deemed to be a racist. Her apologies made no difference whatsoever. Did you not report such remarks yourself, or did you just let them go unheeded? Toleration of such behavior simply sends out the message that it is ok and so it continues. Take care and hope that the people you now come into touch with are without such dysfunctional attitudes.

I'm reminded of sad incident in NW London where a 18 year old female student who was Irish was asaulted with a kitchen knife by two young teenage sisters (13&15)of mixed race, the attack left the victim with life threatening injuries which left her in a coma, I don't know if she survived, it was found that the fathers overtly racist attitude was a factor in the daytime attack, speaking to the two girls they showed no remorse that i could see they felt they were the victims.

Although it's the other end of the spectrum and extreme it's incidents like that that has fueled my hatred for racism and I feel if they or their father we're challenged at some stage on their views there may of been a different outcome, who knows.

The strange thing about that incident was the father watched his daughters come home get a kitchen knife, he followed them to the scene and watched the attack, instead of being in the dock beside his daughters he was in court as a witness for the defence, crazy world.

Dreadful story, but again pure dysfunctional behavior and the worst parenting possible. Sounds like that poor girl was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, as there does not seem to be any possible motivation at all. It is seriously worrying to think that so many sick and indeed evil people are walking around among us and indeed in every country. What constitutes this? Is it drug related, or purely psychotic behavior? Think about the recent mass killings in Norway and US on totally innocent people. Paranoia? other forms of mental illness or evil? I cannot judge, but it is disturbing in the extreme. Even looking at what happens here in our own country compared to 50 years ago or even less? What has caused this in our society? Only last week we were told that the number of reports of racist abuse here was rising daily. We, of all people, whose generations of offspring have had to find work and make a life in other countries all over the world. Wouldn't you think that we would be the last to be racist? Seems not. I and a good number of others must consider ourselves very fortunate then, that we have worked and lived in many countries and not met with racism in any shape or form. I for one would not tolerate it and like yourself I cannot condone racism in even it's mildest form. All I can accept are the findings after extensive research; that in most instances where racism existed, it came from the most extreme ignorance and from very dysfunctional types, who have not just racism issues, but other discriminatory tendencies affecting so many areas of their lives. These are the types who sadly usually alienate themselves from others and tend to seek out like minded people so that they often form a gang where there is a sick kind of fun to be gained from taunting others and abusing them with racist remarks. As I said, sick individuals.... and these are the kind who love to start a riot to make their pathetic point.... which is; ' Now you will listen to us, as we are showing you that we are the law round here and we will tell you who we want here and who we don't' We have seen this so often with racist type riots. The dream of living peacefully in a multicultural society? When will that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Havetoquit, please try to use paragraphs,they will make your posts more readable.

Have to say, I've been watching the opening ceremony for the Olympics on BBC and there was nothing but compliments for the Irish athletes and the Irish fans. It could be because the English generally love Ireland (and I believe they do) but it could also be because Daley Thompson made a complete tit of himself with an anti-Irish 'joke'the other day.Either way, a massive cheer from the crowd when our athletes came out, brought a tear to this jaded eye!

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Have to say, I've been watching the opening ceremony for the Olympics on BBC and there was nothing but compliments for the Irish athletes and the Irish fans.
    I'm never sure whether it's genuine ... or whether it's all just a bit patronising.

I suppose I'm referring specifically to the media when I say that. For example, I remember during the European Championships this summer, the commentators on British TV made constant reference to the "fact" that the Irish fans were just "happy to be there". Sure doesn't everyone love getting a hiding?

I do think in British society in general there is genuine good will towards Ireland. The ladies often react positively when they hear an Irish accent, for example. But I do find the British support of Irish sports teams/men/women rather amusing - if only they knew about the lack of support their sportspeople enjoy in Ireland. I guess they figure it's reciprocated to some extent based on, for example, the fact that the Premiership is followed religiously by many in Ireland.

I'm never sure whether it's genuine ... or whether it's all just a bit patronising.

A couple of years ago my family tried to restart a Irish Festival in London that was once very big, part of the requirement from the council was we had to contact all the residents in the area of the park to propose what we wanted to do, the responses we received back were all good with a lot of the older residents happy to see the Festivals return, it was nice to get the support and was a good indication of what others thought.

Wow! Hope you all enjoyed the Olympic opening tonight and come on, did we not get a great welcome and brilliant comments from the presenters too? I for one thought London did a classy, original and imaginative opening and thanks to Danny Boyle who received profuse and worthy praise for his creativity. I wish each country all the luck in the world. So wonderful to see so many countries represented on one stage so to speak. Thank the Lord that racism does not exist in the Olympics. ( well, I hope not! ) Sleep well and let's try to believe that there are far more good people in this world than the other kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well certainly in this case my own perception was that it was a warm and genuine comment.

Of course, the cynic in me says that if I was a BBC exec, I'd be bending over backwards to wipe the Daley Thompson comment away. They did give a public apology, not just the commentators at the time but a separate apology from the BBC.

Somehow missed the Daley Thompson comment...What was it please?
    No, I didn't find the comments were at all patronising either and can't see why anyone would think they were.

I really don't think that a commentator's job is that easy and I guess a slip of the tongue to come resulting in a totally unintentional comment does happen everywhere, especially when nerves, or a build up of excitement play a part. Ever watched those clips where they show you such cringe making cock ups? No, I honestly would not think they are done with any form of malice or intent on offence. They just come out.
    Really enjoying the coverage so far and the standard is just so high again this year. These wonderful athletes are a pleasure to watch, one and all. There is only one sport I have a slight problem with and that is boxing. It is just something I cannot quite understand and find it horrid to watch two human beings punching each other to knock out. One only has to look at poor Mohamad Ali and it brings home the obvious risks and dangers and so many other boxers have had serious life changing injuries, it is beyond me why it continues, albeit with helmets now. It seems barbaric somehow, but perhaps that is just me. So many would totally disagree.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well certainly in this case my own perception was that it was a warm and genuine comment.
    I meant generally rather than referring specifically to the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

Oh sorry admin and you are perfectly right. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 temnos

gary71 wrote: »
    It tends to be a conversation on facts, to be Irish you need to be born here and to argue otherwise is pointless and it's very difficult to explain to people/family who have an allowed ethnicity the impact of not being allowed the same.

That is not always the case. I am Irish, born here but my family moved to the UK when I was a child so I have a Uk accent. I have always felt Irish and was raised in Irish culture, I returned here to raise my family. I have experienced first hand racism from Irish people. Especially since the downturn.

That is so sad and really shameful from our own people who then purport that they are so badly received across the pond.

I am beginning to wonder if much of that which they receive is a result of their own blatant racism. As far as being racist towards British people who live here, I find that inexcusable, as we have the facts that those people are contributing to our economy, not taking from it, love this country enough to up sticks and make it their chosen home. I find that a huge compliment to our people and our country and they should be received warmly and treated respectfully and that is regardless of any racism we may or may not have received from dysfunctional people with issues.

I am sorry that you have met with this same form of dysfunctional attitudes here and I hope that it has been minimal, allowing you to rise above it and not give it the benefit of a response.

As you will note from some of the comments here, there are some Irish who have worked in UK with their fellow countrymen and been shocked at the unwillingness of them to integrate, be friendly towards their UK working colleagues etc etc. They carried their brainwashed form of Anti- British attitudes with them and made no effort to discard them and therefore alienated themselves from those who welcomed them, gave them work and free health care. That kind of behavior breeds bad feelings no matter what country you live in I think.

In Germany, you had this type of attitude among certain nationalities, who went their with their own pre-conceived ideas, stereotypes and resentments and kept them. Sadly, they had not moved an inch from the war and were not living in the world of your average young German, who had not even been born at the time.

It was easy to see that it those who came without such attitudes were the ones who excelled in their professions and made a good and happy life in Germany, just as the Irish who hold no such bitterness are doing in Britain, Germany and other countries.

When Barack Obama was a student he came up against abhorrent forms of racism, he ignored it, raised above it and had the intelligence and insight to know that it came from a small minority and did not consider it worthy of a reaction. He often says that to hang on to such experiences can stilt you as a human being and then the perpetrator becomes the winner.

You know that you are worthy of better than that, so show those sick people that you have no interest in what they think or what they have to say. Their words cannot touch you and they will simply look for someone else to taunt.

temnos wrote: »
    That is not always the case. I am Irish, born here but my family moved to the UK when I was a child so I have a Uk accent. I have always felt Irish and was raised in Irish culture, I returned here to raise my family. I have experienced first hand racism from Irish people. Especially since the downturn.

It' s all a load of nonsense in fairness:D, the point I made about being born here was sarcasm which in hindsight isn't the cleverest thing to do with text.

I'v been coming to Ireland since I was born(you couldn't have kids when training as a publican back in the day), i was born and bred in pubs in London and Ireland with Brendon Shine on repeat, we had GAA dinner dances/weddings every few weeks, my dad helped run one of the GAA clubs in London for years, my family are associated with the Irish Music scene, the only English people I met were at school and I have been allowed to hold the Sam Maguire a few times:cool:, usually after a all nighter and there'd be no responsible adults around so I'd put it behind the bar.

Working behind a bar or running a pub has given me ample opportunity for my sins to find myself in a conversation about my origins, most times the discussion would end with "yeh, but weren't born there" which only came from the Irish and never a response given to a American having the same conversion:confused:. I could never figure out why it was important for others including my family to have a imput, but they did take far to much pleasure in barring me from Ireland.

It's all about the accent, speak with a English accent and my townies can't work out how i could possibly be anything but English :)

• Advertisement

havetoquit wrote: »

I am beginning to wonder if much of that which they receive is a result of their own blatant racism.

I think whatever environment your in your going to have good and bad experiences with others but it can be a lottery.

gary71 wrote: »
    It's all about the accent, speak with a English accent and my townies can't work out how i could possibly be anything but English :)
    I'm inclined to agree. My missus grew up in London, but her parents are Irish and Pakistani - she's never really considered herself as being English. She's happy enough to call herself British-Irish/Pakistani, because her passport says she's British, but calling herself English just doesn't quite feel right because she has no English family.

However, in Dublin, where she lived for eight years, as far as most people were concerned, she was English because she had an English accent, and that was that. Now, there's nothing terribly wrong with that in itself, until you factor in those who have a bit of a chip on their shoulder with regards all things English. And these people are far more numerous in Ireland than I would have liked to believe prior to meeting my wife. Even my own mother has trouble holding her tongue in the presence of an English accent. There is a certain dogma in Ireland with regard to Englishness that refuses to go away.

Disclaimer: That said, I should stress that my wife really enjoyed living in Dublin and made a lot of very good friends there. The people I refer to above are in the extreme minority. But unfortunately, they are more numerous than a lot of people would think.

That's right Gary and it is all part of life. The important thing is not to let the negative opinions or attitudes of others impact upon us to the point where we then unwittingly transfer them to other decent and undeserving people of that same nationality.

Take the good from what you are presented with and leave the rest. Life is too darn short to do otherwise, agree?

I still can't get my head round this issue that keeps coming up about certain Irish people and their issue with an English accent. Why on earth would people be that stupid to merely assume without any knowledge that a person is English just because of their accent, knowing as we all do, that there are people here who have returned home with their parents from every corner of the world, and many of them were even born here and just emigrated with their parents when very young.

Therefore, would not most people with even a few gray cells, ask a little about you to establish if you have an Irish connection etc, or would they not even know these facts from what you have told them? Are we saying here that even after an Irish person has been told that ones parents are Irish and that they were born here/emigrated/born in UK and came back, whatever, that they still somehow consider them English?? That is just totally inconceivable to me and I think that if I came up against people who are that daft that I would probably be tempted to just go along with their stupidity and say ' Oh yes, I was born of Irish parents in Ireland, but I have been away for x number of years, so yes, now I am English'

Oh dear oh dear!! Complete madness and sounds like some kind of joke.

Would be interesting to know if the Irish people born in other countries outside Ireland who eventually return are given the same treatment ...

"Oh I see! your father worked at the Irish Embassy in China and you were born there, ah, so, you are Chinese of course, not Irish. Ah but then, you say you went to The International School there and many of the pupils were English/American and other nationalities, ah sure begob, I don't know what the hell you are at all, but you can't be Irish without the accent'

It becomes funnier the more you think about it doesn't it?

When you think of all the people who have had to or choose to leave here to improve their living standards, or to survive, how must they feel when they do manage to return in the hope that they will be received with open arms, back in the fold so to speak to then have to deal with such idiotic illogical attitudes? They must indeed wonder why they bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

havetoquit wrote: »
    I still can't get my head round this issue that keeps coming up about certain Irish people and their issue with an English accent. Why on earth would people be that stupid to merely assume without any knowledge that a person is English just because of their accent, knowing as we all do, that there are people here who have returned home with their parents from every corner of the world, and many of them were even born here and just emigrated with their parents when very young.

Therefore, would not most people with even a few gray cells, ask a little about you to establish if you have an Irish connection etc, or would they not even know these facts from what you have told them? Are we saying here that even after an Irish person has been told that ones parents are Irish and that they were born here/emigrated/born in UK and came back, whatever, that they still somehow consider them English?? That is just totally inconceivable to me and I think that if I came up against people who are that daft that I would probably be tempted to just go along with their stupidity and say ' Oh yes, I was born of Irish parents in Ireland, but I have been away for x number of years, so yes, now I am English'

Oh dear oh dear!! Complete madness and sounds like some kind of joke.

The voice of reason, well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 IFSC101

I have been comeing and going in and out of the UK for years. Working between Ireland and the UK. I have meet former Brittish services men whom served in NI and thay were very nice like most UK people. But once this 20 year old little **** came up to me and asked "are you here to blow up something" I turned round and said. "Na we've left that up to the al quida now" He was shocked and appauled I found it funny. Ass hole. :D

IFSC101 wrote: »
    But once this 20 year old little **** came up to me and asked "are you here to blow up something"...
    I believe the stock response to such a question is: "Yore ma."

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

I have lived in the UK for 4 years now, the first 3 in Scotland and since in NW England. The obvious split in Scotland I found centered around the football, but I never experienced any badness towards me for being Irish and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Since being back in the UK and working in NW England I have seen a greater difference. There were some not so nice comments about the Irish made when I first started my new job, but these shortly ceased after my pretty broad Irish accent started going around the office, needless to say I haven't bothered with the folk I heard making the comments since (I did interrupt one women, who was horribly embarrassed but thats the fault of her own bigotry ignorance), and although I can't prove that they were directed towards me, I wasn't best pleased.

I have made some friends since moving here, and from what I gather they enjoy having the token Irishman around. Some eejit took exception to the Irish accent in the local club a few months back, but sure if thats the worst of my experience I can count myself lucky. Isolated instances like that don't highlight the thoughts and actions of a country.

I always think of it myself as that people don't like what they don't understand or are intimidated by. All in all, I haven't been victim of any serious anti-Irish hatred and I can only hope that I never will during my time here, I think times have moved on and the pending state visit of Michael D Higgins will only highlights the changes further.

• Advertisement

Lovely to hear that you are settled among mostly nice people and better still to note that you have the intelligence and insight to recognize where any bigotry and bias comes from and I am sure you will also be aware that it is alive and well here at home and always has been, even if there are segments of the population who are in denial about it.

So, I guess we have to concede that it is born more out of ignorance, backwardness, or some form of indoctrination from ignorant parents who have unwittingly passed it on. I also found out that many of those who behave in this way are often not even aware of the impact of their comments. Those of us who seek out decent normal working colleagues and give the rest short shrift seem to come up against it less often if ever. Those types stand out a mile and are even disliked by their own.

Many is the time I have heard English friends and colleagues comment on the embarrassment they feel when around such types. I have lived in many areas of UK, Europe, Near and Far East and to be honest found folk to be basically the same everywhere.

It would seem that there are numbers among many nationalities who live in the past and carry their bias and bitterness with them to wherever they go and this in turn does not make them the most welcome of people in their host land.

Integration and showing a genuine interest in the culture we find ourselves in is the best way I feel to becoming accepted.

In my own experience, I have always been met with the warmest of welcomes in UK and elsewhere and personally noted that the Irish element was much loved at work and outside of it among decent British people.

We share a lot and have so much in common that the only ones of either nationality who cannot see or appreciate that are obviously sad individuals who have issues not only with themselves, but equally with any region of the UK outside their own. You hear it all the time..much is harmless banter. The only people who understand them are like-minded individuals.

My son has lived and worked in London for years and in the course of his work meets different people from right across Britain and I am happy to say that he has never met prejudice and would not change his work or his adopted country now. His is totally at home there, has great friends and a brilliant standard of living and social life. Maybe he is just fortunate not to have come up against such types.

If say, there was a threat to both our countries tomorrow from an outside force, then you would see how these two peoples without question would stand by each other and support each other. Hope you continue to enjoy your working environment and to transcend the great Irish humor to your colleagues....well, the nice ones!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement