Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind farm for the Midlands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Green&Red wrote: »
    In simple terms

MW is the power available

MWh is the energy, the amount of power over a period of time, so it has actually been dissipated

We wont get into instantaneous power

Or into losses across network prior to delivery due to cable resistance etc which is an argument for locally placing generation (such as on site PV) as it means you minimus transmissions losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Old diesel wrote: »

a technology that only produces 25 to 30 percent of its rated power on average - deserves harsh questioning for that ALONE.

This is opposed to an efficiency of ~50% for a closed cycle gas turbine or ~30% for an open cycle, both of which are on the irish system already.

Like I say its easy to scare monger

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

A British view on the stalled wind farm plans from Geoffrey Lean in the Telegraph.

Promoting community ownership would allow local people to benefit from wind turbines

You could almost hear the great sigh of relief gusting in the fierce winds that swept across the Irish Midlands last week. For a project that would have built at least 1000 turbines, three times as high as Nelson's column, across five counties finally seemed to run into the sand.

The plan – which I revealed in my Telegraph column in September – would have erected 40 wind farms, containing more turbines than have been put up in the whole of England to date – purely to generate electricity for export to the UK. Backed by the prime ministers of both countries, Britain and Ireland last year signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the power to be transmitted along highly efficient cables under the Irish Sea; a formal agreement was due to be finalised this year.

Full story...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/geoffreylean/100263063/promoting-community-ownership-would-allow-local-people-to-benefit-from-wind-turbines/

Enda Kenny and David Cameron discussed the wind farms at a meeting in Downing Street today.

From the Belfast Telegraph.

Anglo-Irish relations 'at peak'

Mr Kenny said: "We asked the officials at the highest level if they would now take three months to see is it possible to put in place a different kind of economic structure and a different kind of model that might make this become viable."

Asked if the problem was price, he replied: "There are other issues. It's the whole structure of the model. The long term pricing arrangement is obviously one that you have to factor in and there are differences in the sense of having to provide a connector to Britain."

Full story...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/angloirish-relations-at-peak-30083294.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Enda Kenny and David Cameron discussed the wind farms at a meeting in Downing Street today.

From the Belfast Telegraph.

Anglo-Irish relations 'at peak'

Mr Kenny said: "We asked the officials at the highest level if they would now take three months to see is it possible to put in place a different kind of economic structure and a different kind of model that might make this become viable."

Asked if the problem was price, he replied: "There are other issues. It's the whole structure of the model. The long term pricing arrangement is obviously one that you have to factor in and there are differences in the sense of having to provide a connector to Britain."

Full story...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/angloirish-relations-at-peak-30083294.html

So in short Kenny is so determined to drive ahead with the project - even though its now in failure mode :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So in short Kenny is so determined to drive ahead with the project - even though its now in failure mode :rolleyes:

How do you take that out of that statement?

This is what annoys me, you clearly dont have a clue about whats actually involved in these projects but are more than happy to use it as a stick to beat the government. Something like this has the possibility to bring revenue into Ireland and the midlands. Rabbitte has said that Britain need to sort out the regulatory regime for this to make it viable and Kenny says they are going to look at it again and you describe it as failure mode.

On your concerns for the communities, there has been a public consultation on the wind energy guidelines this year for noise and shadow flicker which propose changes to bring them above international standards. And theres been a consultation on a policy for export energy so that proper planning is put in place and ABP have guidelines. Did you reply to either of those consultations?

On your concerns for the communities, there has been a public consultation on the wind energy guidelines this year for noise and shadow flicker which propose changes to bring them above international standards. And theres been a consultation on a policy for export energy so that proper planning is put in place and ABP have guidelines. Did you reply to either of those consultations?

What international standards are you referring to?

This is what annoys me, you clearly dont have a clue about whats actually involved in these projects but are more than happy to use it as a stick to beat the government. Something like this has the possibility to bring revenue into Ireland and the midlands. Rabbitte has said that Britain need to sort out the regulatory regime for this to make it viable and Kenny says they are going to look at it again and you describe it as failure mode.

Heres the problem - I SHOULDN'T need to be an expert on these projects - I am however entitled to question how the Govt is handling this - ie how they haven't consulted properly with communities or addressed their concerns. Im more focused on the sort of outcomes I would like to see happen - and how they might come about.

In terms of my thoughts on Endas comments - well Pat Rabbite himself - reckoned that the project won't make its deadline as there just too much work to be done in the time frame to the 2020 deadline for the EU targets.

Yet Kenny is still trying to force it forward - even though from what I can see the British don't seem to have a massive appitite for it.

There comes a time when you have to step back with something like this - and recognise that the projects in a sticky patch - and we need to step back and review - and work out the best way forward from here.

in terms of Regions - like the Midlands - I would like to see the best possible future for it. And would like to look at how we can create the most positive future for the Midlands and its communities.

That's the approach I would like to see been bought into the planning of this and indeed the future of the Midlands as a whole

Like I mean - im no expert on (for example) the inside workings of the Ambulance service - but I CAN STILL criticise the Ambulance service if I feel that the service it delivers isn't delivering the outcomes I would like in say the area of response times.

To me it looks like the Midlands is just seen as a place to put turbines - and I feel that's a negative view to take of an area - and would prefer to have a more positive outlook. :(

I would prefer a more integrated approach based on creating a positive future for communities - and integrating wind energy and related projects - into a POSITIVE community future.

I feel that hasn't happened yet- and that's why im critical of the whole process to date.

Rather then having a planning system that just pretends communities and houses aren't actually there - that's how the approach to this project to date looks like to me.

I welcome more revenue into Ireland BUT id simply prefer to see it done in a way that looks at a Region like the Midlands in a more positive light.

I also feel that questions have to be asked if the new export industry for the Midlands causes concerns for an existing horse industry that feels that said new industry.

I think that merits far more attention from Govt then its received to date - and their apparent lack of attention to horse industry concerns is worrying in terms of their approach to achieving a positive solution to all.

There is little point in pursuing say 6,500 jobs in wind energy export from the Midlands - if you lose an industry with 14,000 jobs - that does not make sense - and I don't need to be an expert on anything whatsoever to work that one out.

Yeah ive been annoying again - but the issue I have is - I would like to achieve some of the same results - ie more revenue, jobs etc - but id like to do it differently.

I recognise wind turbines as an essential part of our electricity infrastructure but believe that we need to plan them in the best way possible - and look at how you can have community living and turbines working away in Ireland without either causing issue for the other.

Anway I know im not the most knowledgeable person - and I know im a contrary one - but I don't think a lot of my views are terribly wrong or unreasonable :(

Anyway - the reason I think the project is in failure mode is this - Rabbite himself has said the project is UNLIKELY to meet its 2020 deadline.

That suggests a project in failure mode given that the need to MEET A 2020 TARGET for the Uk was what was behind this project in the first place.

They will now miss that target - IF the project doesn't get back on track.

I also think a huge pile of the issue here - isn't so much turbines per se - but the sheer size of the project - if you have up to 2,000 turbines.

We need to look more at what is suitable development for the area - and be able to give people the confidence that they can live happily alongside the wind technology.

I think the confidence factor is VERY IMPORTANT - and feel it would be much easier to get communities onside IF they feel they can still have a future as a community - rather then seeing this as a threat to their community.

Now you can debate until the cows come home - about how much of a threat to communities this project really is - or isn't - but if a project is seen as a threat by a community to their future - you can't blame them for not been happy about it.

That's where Govt are failing at the moment - in terms of trying to communicate with communities and discuss concerns

thats the issue - in Meath they had a public consultation - the CC can up with a set of guidelines and the DoE (J.O'Sullivan) came in and used her powers to try and overrule the decision.

So lip service is sometimes paid to public consultation

Also the NREP was never consulted on - nor was the renewable targets

Search for Pat Swords
    http://www.turn180.ie/2013/03/18/operation-of-wind-turbines-and-legal-liability/

• Advertisement

fclauson wrote: »
    thats the issue - in Meath they had a public consultation - the CC can up with a set of guidelines and the DoE (J.O'Sullivan) came in and used her powers to try and overrule the decision.

Search for Pat Swords
    http://www.turn180.ie/2013/03/18/operation-of-wind-turbines-and-legal-liability/

See that's exactly it Francis - this plan isn't about driving communities forward - because if it was - it would be planned differently.

What I would love - and it doesn't matter what I think - because im wrong anyway.

But what id love is this - creating a future plan for regions and communities based on achieving the best possible future for them and their people.

Do that - and work in the energy planning around that - and focus on people from ALL OVER Ireland - including Dublin too :).

We are going wrong because - of things like Jan O Sullivan deciding she can't be bothered actually understanding why councillors representing people actually took decisions with the aim of addressing the concerns of the people they represent.

The way to handle that was - is to understand the concerns that led to the Westmeath decision in their CDP to have a 10 times the height of the turbine setback distance - and for Jan O Sullivan as minister for PLANNING to work to address those concerns.

So what do we think of what this lady is saying????

http://theresaleaf.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/community-acceptance/

What international standards are you referring to?

The MArshall Day report which accompanys the guideline review refers to the World Health Organisation guidelines (apologises, rather than standards) of 40dB(A), which is what the noise limit is set to

It also refers to noise limits across international jurisdictions

Search for Pat Swords

Two issues here, CC guidelines have to be in keeping with national guidelines, there is a hierarchy and it has to be consistent across the land. The national guidelines were consulted on.

The Pat Swords case is on-going, it is uncertain whether there is a need to consult on the NREAP.

Devils advocate could argue that people were consulted on government policy in the general election.

Renewable targets are agreed at EU level and are not subject to consultation

Two issues here, CC guidelines have to be in keeping with national guidelines, there is a hierarchy and it has to be consistent across the land. The national guidelines were consulted on.

The Pat Swords case is on-going, it is uncertain whether there is a need to consult on the NREAP.

Devils advocate could argue that people were consulted on government policy in the general election.

Renewable targets are agreed at EU level and are not subject to consultation

What happens though if the Co Council is correct and the National guidelines are wrong????.

Like say Westmeath Co Council say 10 times the height of the turbine - but Jan O Sullivan minister for Planning says 500 metres.

How do we work out who is correct - and how do we address the reality that Co Councillors went for 10 times the height of the turbine based on the concerns of their constituients.

I think the answer to that - is to focus on two things - getting the planning as good as it can be.

And creating a positive future for communities - I mean - if you have a positive future ahead - its easier to face into change.

And no im not a planning expert - but again - I shouldn't need to be.

The MArshall Day report which accompanys the guideline review refers to the World Health Organisation guidelines (apologises, rather than standards) of 40dB(A), which is what the noise limit is set to

It also refers to noise limits across international jurisdictions

Unfortunately the Marshall Day report is woefully inadequate - for example the above mentioned 40db(A) is the Leq or L90 or what - Marshall Day are vague on this aspect. Additionally none of the appendices of the consultation where complete so it was not possible to understand the maths they where going to use to do any of the calculations

If you want a view on this report read all of http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/PlanningDevelopment/Planning/PublicConsultations/Submissions-WindEnergy/

but if you only want to read one then read http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/PlanningDevelopment/Planning/PublicConsultations/Submissions-WindEnergy/Unspecified/FileDownLoad,35130,en.pdf

the key table is the country by country limits table (sorry for formatting)

dB(LA90) Type Period
    South Australia 35 Hybrid All
    Victoria 35 Hybrid Night
    Ontario 38 Hybrid All
    Quebec 38 Hybrid Night
    Alberta 38 Hybrid Night
    Denmark 37 Absolute All
    France 28 Hybrid Night
    Germany 33 Absolute Night

and if you have time to read 2 then read
    http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/PlanningDevelopment/Planning/PublicConsultations/Submissions-WindEnergy/Unspecified/FileDownLoad,36282,en.pdf

finally can I also recommend you read all of the Shiven ones under Cork
    and Ray Byrne under Wexford

And if you want you can read mine which is also under wexford

Unfortunately the Marshall Day report is woefully inadequate - for example the above mentioned 40db(A) is the Leq or L90 or what - Marshall Day are vague on this aspect. Additionally none of the appendices of the consultation where complete so it was not possible to understand the maths they where going to use to do any of the calculations

If you want a view on this report read all of http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/PlanningDevelopment/Planning/PublicConsultations/Submissions-WindEnergy/

but if you only want to read one then read http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/PlanningDevelopment/Planning/PublicConsultations/Submissions-WindEnergy/Unspecified/FileDownLoad,35130,en.pdf

the key table is the country by country limits table (sorry for formatting)

dB(LA90) Type Period
    South Australia 35 Hybrid All
    Victoria 35 Hybrid Night
    Ontario 38 Hybrid All
    Quebec 38 Hybrid Night
    Alberta 38 Hybrid Night
    Denmark 37 Absolute All
    France 28 Hybrid Night
    Germany 33 Absolute Night

and if you have time to read 2 then read
    http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/PlanningDevelopment/Planning/PublicConsultations/Submissions-WindEnergy/Unspecified/FileDownLoad,36282,en.pdf

finally can I also recommend you read all of the Shiven ones under Cork
    and Ray Byrne under Wexford

And if you want you can read mine which is also under wexford

Could I just say Francis - fair play to you for the work you've put in :)

I still have concerns with this whole project - even though I am not from the Midlands - but well - I will do a final wrap up post to clarify my thoughts later.

Think I will finish up my involvement with these 2 threads - so will be back later with a final set of "clearing the air" posts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is this to do with the fact that on average wind delivers around 25% to 30% of installed capacity
    http://www.eirgrid.com/media/All-Island_Wind_and_Fuel_Mix_Report_Summary_2013.pdf
    Record demand was 5090 MW and there was spare dispatchable capacity then.
    Minimum demand was 1786MW.

Point is that on average even the fossil fuel plants are only producing 25-30% of installed capacity.

Because we have weather predictions and a grid wind can be factored in. Yes you need reserve power in case the wind drops off. The amount is only a fraction of the power needed by the dispatchable stations. There are no extra capital costs, there are no extra running costs. Wind forecasts are fairly accurate 5 days out compared to gas turbines that ramp up in seconds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

There are many concerns about this project unrelated to human disturbance. There is a huge neglect of debate of the environmental impact. It was likely to lead to an industrialisation of wild areas that probably shouldn't be even considered for industrialised in the first place.

robp wrote: »
    There are many concerns about this project unrelated to human disturbance. There is a huge neglect of debate of the environmental impact. It was likely to an industrialisation of wild areas that probably shouldn't be even considered for industrialised.

Thats probably why the Renewable Energy Export Policy and Development Framework is being developed with an SEA.

It seems to be a common theme here, people calling for debate on things when there are on-going consultations on these issues where people have a chance to air their views.
    The green paper will be up for consultation soon and it will set the energy agenda for the next five years

• Advertisement

Thats probably why the Renewable Energy Export Policy and Development Framework is being developed with an SEA.

It seems to be a common theme here, people calling for debate on things when there are on-going consultations on these issues where people have a chance to air their views.
    The green paper will be up for consultation soon and it will set the energy agenda for the next five years

Okay - heres the thing - the way I WOULD LIKE* (now the rights and wrongs of my thinking are another matter) to see things develop - IDEALLY is this

Take the Midlands as a region

1) I would LIKE to see a midset of developing the BEST POSSIBLE* future for communities/towns/people of the Midlands. And also in terms of the Midlands itself as a place where PEOPLE LIVE*.

2) Try to evolve* plans - whether that is turbines or anything else around having the best POSSIBLE* future for communities and people of the Midlands

3) Jan O Sullivans response to Westmeath Co Councils CDP stipulation on setback - if you were serious about consultation - provided an opportunity for her to hear the concerns that led to the stipulation on set backs - ie what was the reasoning behind it - because the councillors didn't do this just for fun. Her response would indicate to me - that consultation is just a tick box exercise - because if she was serious about CONSULTATION - she would recognise that if a council puts a stipulation in place in response to public concerns - these concerns should be listened to - that doesn't mean she has to agree with them - but having listened to - there is an opportunity then as minister for PLANNING - to see how those concerns could be addressed

Btw - im not saying that Jan O Sullivans thinking on the 500 metres setback been proper is wrong - or that Westmeath Co Councillors viewpoint on the 10 times the height of turbine setback is right.

But while Jan O Sullivan DOES have a job to do - and sees it as the proper thing to do to enforce national policy - i feel that she should have discussed the reasoning of the councillors decison with them - rather then heading straight into directive mode.

She could listen to the concerns - take them aboard - address them - and THEN look at the best course of action.

Like we are talking in this thread about a REGION of ireland - so lets try to get the priorities right here.

What future do we want for a Region of Ireland - in this case the Midlands - if your serious about the best possible future for the people of the Midlands - then surely that might be best achieve by giving them the opportunity to shape THEIR OWN FUTURE.

The fact that this may be seen by pro turbine - or anti rural people or anyone else that has issues with people objecting to Anti turbine people - as been Anti turbine is sad really.

If we are saying that the concept of developing the best possible future for the communities of the Midlands - and allowing the people there to help shape that plan is wrong - then that indicates a flaw in this projects plan.

I certainly feel that if the horse industry feels concerned about these proposals - then REMEMBERING that this is an EXPORT energy project - then it would be right because they are an industry worth 1.1 bn and with 14,000 people employed - to take on board their concerns.

If we can't plan in a manner thats acceptable to the horse industry - then to me that indicates flaws in this project - and in terms of wind turbines generally.

Frankly - turbines in themselves - don't bother me that much - inspite of the fact that my posts would indicate otherwise.

I do however feel that - we should TRY* to have a situation where this plan fits around the midlands as a place of communities - rather then the other way round - where you just see the Midlands as a place to put turbines. Or of course - looking at the Midlands itself - what is the best way forward for its future - whether thats turbines - or alternative options

I do feel that this project takes a negative outlook on the Midlands as a place - and that it would have been nicer* and far more ideal* if you had a more positive outlook on the place as a starting point.

The reason i feel that this project is taking a negative outlook on the Midlands - is that from what i can see - the project is all about getting in the turbines - in terms of how you view the location of the Midlands.

I know i will take a lot of flak for the above comments because they might be seen as flawed - and that im not knowledgable enough or haven't a clue - but tbh - all i want is the best possible solution for COMMUNITIES.

If that means im seen as clueless - then i don't know what to say really - except i fail to see whats wrong with wanting to achieve the best future for communities.

Why not.

*life isn't always perfect - and you can't always have what you want - i do however want an integrated plan for a Regions future - not jsut okay - heres 2,000 turbines - lets horse them up - and don't think at all about how they fit into or suit the areas they go into

I may never achieve the perfect plan - but in terms of the regions future - id like the best possible solution.

3) Jan O Sullivans response to Westmeath Co Councils CDP stipulation on setback - if you were serious about consultation - provided an opportunity for her to hear the concerns that led to the stipulation on set backs - ie what was the reasoning behind it - because the councillors didn't do this just for fun. Her response would indicate to me - that consultation is just a tick box exercise - because if she was serious about CONSULTATION - she would recognise that if a council puts a stipulation in place in response to public concerns - these concerns should be listened to - that doesn't mean she has to agree with them - but having listened to - there is an opportunity then as minister for PLANNING - to see how those concerns could be addressed

Btw - im not saying that Jan O Sullivans thinking on the 500 metres setback been proper is wrong - or that Westmeath Co Councillors viewpoint on the 10 times the height of turbine setback is right.

But while Jan O Sullivan DOES have a job to do - and sees it as the proper thing to do to enforce national policy - i feel that she should have discussed the reasoning of the councillors decison with them - rather then heading straight into directive mode.

She could listen to the concerns - take them aboard - address them - and THEN look at the best course of action.

CDP have a very clear framework, this framework is set by national policy. By setting a different setback distance Westmeath Co Co were stepping outside of this framework.
    If JOS were to allow this then every CDP in the country could set whatever rules they considered necessary, thats not a workable model.
    There is national policy for a reason and Westmeath, liek every other county has to stick to it. The place to challenge that is at national level.

robp wrote: »
    There are many concerns about this project unrelated to human disturbance. There is a huge neglect of debate of the environmental impact. It was likely to an industrialisation of wild areas that probably shouldn't be even considered for industrialised.

Exactly Rob - and something else thats completely overlooked is the fact that an industry with 14,000 jobs - and worth 1.1 bn to the economy - the horse industry - is raising concerns on this project.

Thats a serious concern alone in my book - as i don't think that it would be good planning if we lost an industry of that importance because we could not plan an EXPORT project properly.

Of course the pro wind boys will say - the horse industry needs to PROVE its concerns - but what i would say - is that they don't need to prove their concerns - just the fact that they have concerns about the turbines - could mean they may feel its better to have the horses outside Ireland :rolleyes:

So it would be proper planning and help the cause a lot if the concerns of a valuable industry like the horse industry could be addressed.

CDP have a very clear framework, this framework is set by national policy. By setting a different setback distance Westmeath Co Co were stepping outside of this framework.
    If JOS were to allow this then every CDP in the country could set whatever rules they considered necessary, thats not a workable model.
    There is national policy for a reason and Westmeath, liek every other county has to stick to it. The place to challenge that is at national level.

So national frame work is the right way to go then

http://www.turn180.ie/2014/01/01/why-eirgrids-pylon-grid-link-programme-is-illegal/

http://www.turn180.ie/2012/12/21/pat-swords-to-challenge-governments-renewable-energy-programme/

http://www.bishop-hill.net/blog/2013/3/18/the-latest-from-pat-swords.html

the national frameworks were put in place without public consultation

And anyway - why not have different CDPs for every county - every county has different needs and requirements -why not put a few turbines in Phoenix Park - you could get you 500m separation, noise would not be an issue (background noise in high in Dublin) and you could make them 300M high to get above the trees etc

But this would be unacceptable - so why can't Meath or Kerry or Cork have their own set of guidelines. They have it for house building styles to fit in with the local vernacular structures

I wasn't saying that shes wrong - i just feel that her INITIAL response could have looked at the reasoning behind the CDP stipulation.

The concern i would have is this - the councillors - put in place a stipulation - now there are several things to look at here in my book

1) The councillors did this in response to public concern - Jan O Sullivans job is minister for PLANNING.

The concerns raised are a concern in relation to PLANNING.

2) She has the option of using her powers - those power are there for a reason - however sometimes having power is one thing - but its a bit driving a high performance car - you have the power - but you also have the option - to decide how best to use the power.

3) The deciding factor here - should be what is good planning for the Westmeath area - the 500 metres may well be a NATIONAL GUIDELINE and National policy. But what would be ideal i think - is to look at what was the proper planning in terms of the Westmeath area.

4) Jan O Sullivans response - could be seen as getting the message out there that getting as many turbines as possible is more important then the people of Westmeath.

What i thus feel - is that she should have listened to the concerns behind the stipulation.

yes Westmeath Co Councillors - may have broken the rules - or done the wrong thing - one could argue.

But they did it in response to the concerns of the people they represent - so firstly you could argue that Jan O Sullivans approach was undemocratic.

And secondly - there are concerns there in relation to planning rules and guidelines - if Jan O Sullivans only response to this is to just put out a directive AND NOT LISTEN to the concerns in Westmeath - are we saying that the priority for Westmeaths future - is ensuring there is enough space to put turbines.

That from what i can see is the Govt concern in relation to the Westmeath stipulation - as its seen as reducing/excluding the possibility for large scale wind development in Westmeath.

The way forward i feel is this

1) Start thinking in terms of what is the best solution in terms of Westmeath - in terms of what is good for Westmeath people and communities.

2) if thats wrong - are we thus saying that getting as many turbines into Westmeath is a higher priority then whats good for Westmeath people and communities going forward.

3) Going forward - what is the best way to strike a balance between energy needs - and working to evolve a solution that sees the best possible future for communites AND getting our energy requirements met

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Of course the pro wind boys will say - the horse industry needs to PROVE its concerns - but what i would say - is that they don't need to prove their concerns - just the fact that they have concerns about the turbines - could mean they may feel its better to have the horses outside Ireland :rolleyes:

But this is exactly the same nonsense that had everyone scars of the mma vaccine, no proof but lots of vocal people repeating themselves.

and the concerns only exist because people like you keep repeating them to anyone who will listen.

And to be honest at this stage I can barely give the time to scan over your posts, epically long.

So national frame work is the right way to go then

http://www.turn180.ie/2014/01/01/why-eirgrids-pylon-grid-link-programme-is-illegal/

http://www.turn180.ie/2012/12/21/pat-swords-to-challenge-governments-renewable-energy-programme/

http://www.bishop-hill.net/blog/2013/3/18/the-latest-from-pat-swords.html

the national frameworks were put in place without public consultation

And anyway - why not have different CDPs for every county - every county has different needs and requirements -why not put a few turbines in Phoenix Park - you could get you 500m separation, noise would not be an issue (background noise in high in Dublin) and you could make them 300M high to get above the trees etc

But this would be unacceptable - so why can't Meath or Kerry or Cork have their own set of guidelines. They have it for house building styles to fit in with the local vernacular structures

Its a good point you make on the idea of every county having different needs and requirements.

What id like to see is a plan that works as well as possible for as many communities as possible.

Theres a worrying issue here that i think would be difficult to resolve for all parties involved - Govt and communities and others.

It revolves around the issue - if how we see communities like say in Westmeath.

Do we see place like this - in terms of how we can put up turbines there - or how many turbines we can squeeze in.

Or do i look at a village in Westmeath as a place where people live - and look at their needs and what future they want for themselves and their community.

I think theres an issue here in terms of mindset - this project is been put forward as a step forward for the Midlands.

But WHO is it making the Midlands better for - IF WE want to create a future for the PEOPLE of the Midlands - then wouldn't we get better results from that - if the people are able to get the chance to shape the future THEY WANT.

Because if we aren't giving the people the opportunity to shape their future and that of their communities - then surely it could be argued that this project ISN'T about driving the Midlands forward for the PEOPLE there.

The way i see it is this - if your focus as a Govt in terms of this project was about the people of the Midlands - then surely - a community based project would deliver better returns for COMMUNITIES.

But that may not deliver the scale that some would say is needed or wanted. :confused:

Theres a town in Scotland - that has their own community wind farm - on the go wit 4 turbines - and they are using that as a platform to achieve their 2030 plan - which essentially is about securing the future of the town and making it stronger.

Now you have to ask - where is that sort of thinking in the Midlands project - its just not happening.

The claimes jobs figures are all over the place - you had the ridiculous figures of 54,000 claimed by one of the developers when he was quoted in a local paper some time back.

But now Pat Rabbite has scaled back to 6,500 when quoted in an article a few days ago.

To put 6,500 into perspective - the Horse industry employs 14,000 - and it has concerns over the turbines btw.

And Mary Kennedy in Nationwide last night stated that the fishing industry employs 11,000 - this been an industry many would say is in decline.

Still employing 11,000 people according to Mary Kennedy.

Grudaire wrote: »
    But this is exactly the same nonsense that had everyone scars of the mma vaccine, no proof but lots of vocal people repeating themselves.

and the concerns only exist because people like you keep repeating them to anyone who will listen.

And to be honest at this stage I can barely give the time to scan over your posts, epically long.

So lets split fact from rumour (I hate nonsense)

There has been no official/statistical/programmatic survey done in Ireland of people currently living near wind farms. So we have no "official" evidence of if there is or is not an issue.

The Deputy Chief medical office has stated that in her review
    "wind turbines do not represent a threat to public health.

that means they have no "intent" to cause damage to your health - like a kettle it has no intent to electrocute your or scald you.

However there is a consistent cluster of symptoms related to wind turbine syndrome which occurs in a number of people in the vicinity of industrial wind turbines. There are specific risk factors for this syndrome and people with these risk factors experience symptoms. These people must be treated appropriately and sensitively as these symptoms can be very debilitating".

So there is an unquantified and unmeasured risk to a subset of the population

To take a court case would cost you €30K or more and you are up against people with very deep pockets.

So what do you do if you personally believe there is an issue.

My point is - the Horse industry doesn't need to prove its concerns - it has the option of PULLING OUT of Ireland - if it feels Ireland cannot provide the standards it would like in terms of a suitable environment for its horses.

it doesn't need to prove its right - in order to make the decision to pull out.

Look its not whether they are right or wrong im worried about in terms of horses - but i think that it shows a flaw in this project - IF an existing industry isn't happy with the plan - and cuts back investment in Ireland as a result - or starts moving horses abroad.

This is actually very very easy for the industry to do.

• Advertisement

You seem to be suggesting that Old Diesel is making stuff up about the horse racing industry. The horse racing industry is actively campaigning against the turbines.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/horseracing-chief-concerned-at-plans-for-largescale-wind-farms-30038050.html

http://www.theirishfield.ie/site/article.php?id=4020&cid=1

Advertisement