Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual Orientation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote: »
    As it is I support the legal right of consenting adults to roger each other if they wish, irrespective of gender or number of partners. I also support the right of people to eat bacon sandwiches if they wish. And I support the right of religions to abstain from pork or from certain sexual acts if that is their beliefs.

So no need for any fake outrage. :)

How dare you not be the required level of intolerant for this discussion :P

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

wolfsbane wrote: »
    The governing elite seem determined to ban Christians and others from teaching that homosexuality is immoral. They seem set on indoctrinating our kids with the idea that it is moral.

I've no problem with them being told it is legal and that the homosexuals must have their liberty respected as much as the rest of us. But teaching homosexuality is moral and forbidding others to teach it is immoral is contrary to civil and religious liberty.

Same goes for fornication and adultery.

Its the clash with Faith and Secular society. People think because we have a faith which we follow that the result in regards of views on homosexuality is that we are homophobic.

Why are we focusing on less than 5% of population when 40% of population have sex outside marriage... ? Its also immoral?(in the eyes of faith)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

doctoremma wrote: »
    I've never been taught in any context that homosexuality is either moral or immoral. Have you? I mean, have you been taught explicitly that homosexuality is moral?
    No, but I'm 62. When kids are indoctrinated with the normality of homosexuality - using a same-sex home in a reader without comment, for example - that is equivalent to teaching homosexuality is moral. They would not have an incestuous home as a Janet & John type reader, I assume.

Unless you think schools do not promote any morality?

1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Hmm. So believing there is nothing wrong with stealing or rape would mean you are not a thief or a rapist?

Refusing to recognise the court does not mean you are innocent of the crime.

You're diminishing any credibility to your arguments by making completely illogical comments like that. In Western society, rape is considered depraved, amoral and against all religious and civil laws. This is the normal, accepted point of view. Your view of sex outside of marriage is far from the norm.

In terms of religious/spiritual beliefs, if i don't recognise 'the court' i am innocent, because according to my own moral compass (which is one built on love, compassion, logical and rational thought i.e. a thought process that is accepted by the vast majority of society, unlike that of a rapist and to a lesser extent, a thief) have not committed any 'crime'. You and your book may define it as a crime, but i can guarantee you that for every person who considers it so, i can find an exponentially greater number who views your stance as irrational and zealous.

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Its the clash with Faith and Secular society. People think because we have a faith which we follow that the result in regards of views on homosexuality is that we are homophobic.

Why are we focusing on less than 5% of population when 40% of population have sex outside marriage... ? Its also immoral?(in the eyes of faith)
    I don't focus on homosexuality. All sexual sin is to be condemned. But when we say that homosexuality is sinful, we are accused of being homophobes, haters, etc. Usually we do not get that response when we say sex outside marriage is sinful. We are not labelled forniphobes or adulterphobes.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

I don't focus on homosexuality. All sexual sin is to be condemned. But when we say that homosexuality is sinful, we are accused of being homophobes, haters, etc. Usually we do not get that response when we say sex outside marriage is sinful. We are not labelled forniphobes or adulterphobes.

Its faith. We can't change it. Its a real pity because once you open yourself to God.. its not about what I can't do,,, its becomes what more can I do for him.

Everything has a place in our life.. Our modern day excesses are literally killing us.. Too much drink.. too much food.. and our obsession with money. Sex becomes a pastime for some. How many people don't even know themselves..

You're diminishing any credibility to your arguments by making completely illogical comments like that. In Western society, rape is considered depraved, amoral and against all religious and civil laws. This is the normal, accepted point of view. Your view of sex outside of marriage is far from the norm.

In terms of religious/spiritual beliefs, if i don't recognise 'the court' i am innocent, because according to my own moral compass (which is one built on love, compassion, logical and rational thought i.e. a thought process that is accepted by the vast majority of society, unlike that of a rapist and to a lesser extent, a thief) have not committed any 'crime'. You and your book may define it as a crime, but i can guarantee you that for every person who considers it so, i can find an exponentially greater number who views your stance as irrational and zealous.
    Let me remind you of what you said: Seeing as i am not willing to listen to listen to Christian gospel (more to the point, i was brought up in a Christian household, decided to investigate it further and chose to renounce it) and view the Bible as a work of fiction, myself and my girlfriend are not among any adulterers.

You were claiming that one is not an adulterer if one does not accept the concept of adultery. I assume you say that applies even where the great majority of society regards it as adultery. So I'm pointing out that must also then be the case for thief or rape.

Or are you saying your relationship would be immoral if the majority held it to be so?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

I don't see any reason why the word 'marriage' belongs to Christianity?

And you're advocating a 'separate but equal' policy?

It doesn't belong to them, but seeing as the main opposition to gay marriage is religious(Sanctity of marriage, all that!), maybe we could just sidestep religion altogether and go ahead with getting equal rights. That seems more important in my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

PDN wrote: »
    No, it would not be wrong at all. According to biblical teaching that is a sin, just as much as if two loving, consenting adults of opposite sexes (if not married to each other) have sexual intercourse.

Christians also believe it is a sin for people to pray to idols.

Jews and Muslims also think it is a sin to eat a bacon sandwich.

We may or may not agree with each religion's opinion of what constitutes a sin. However, I have the good manners to respect the beliefs of the Jew and Muslim and not to pick pointless arguments by trolling about bacon sandwiches in the Islam Forum.

If I want to become a Muslim or a Jew then that would involve adopting their rules. Since I have no desire to convert to either of those religions, it isn't really any of my business whether they have a bit of a thing against bacon.

Just so long as they don't interefere with my right to eat a bacon sandwich if i choose

There we go. You hit the nail on the head. The same should apply to gay people and their rights. Gay people should be granted the same rights as Straight in all aspects. A gay couple should have the right to adopt a child for example. They should be able to have a civil partnership which grants them the same human, civil, legal and every other kind of right that a marriage does. Yet, because of the influence Christianity and other faiths have had, they are being denied those particular bacon sandwiches.

Let me remind you of what you said: Seeing as i am not willing to listen to listen to Christian gospel (more to the point, i was brought up in a Christian household, decided to investigate it further and chose to renounce it) and view the Bible as a work of fiction, myself and my girlfriend are not among any adulterers.

You were claiming that one is not an adulterer if one does not accept the concept of adultery. I assume you say that applies even where the great majority of society regards it as adultery. So I'm pointing out that must also then be the case for thief or rape.

Or are you saying your relationship would be immoral if the majority held it to be so?

Granted, i fit the dictionary definition of 'adulterer' in that myself and my girlfriend are unmarried and have sex. I probably should have said that i reject the notion of it being sinful.

Because i'm an atheist i don't acknowledge the existence of religious sin. I do however, acknowledge the existence of moral sin. The 3 types of sexual sin are paedophilia, rape and (to a lesser extent because at least two consenting adults are involved), cheating on one's partner. You are classing all sex outside of marriage as 'sin'. So am i to be lumped in with the rapists and paedophiles?

I'm not saying your point of views are immoral, i'm saying that the majority would find them to be somewhat bizarre and rooted in religious zealotry. Myself and my girlfriend's relationship is the accepted norm, your views are not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Ciaran0 wrote: »
    There we go. You hit the nail on the head. The same should apply to gay people and their rights. Gay people should be granted the same rights as Straight in all aspects. A gay couple should have the right to adopt a child for example. They should be able to have a civil partnership which grants them the same human, civil, legal and every other kind of right that a marriage does. Yet, because of the influence Christianity and other faiths have had, they are being denied those particular bacon sandwiches.

Sorry? Why you addressing this to me? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

The governing elite seem determined to ban Christians and others from teaching that homosexuality is immoral. They seem set on indoctrinating our kids with the idea that it is moral.

I've no problem with them being told it is legal and that the homosexuals must have their liberty respected as much as the rest of us. But teaching homosexuality is moral and forbidding others to teach it is immoral is contrary to civil and religious liberty.

Should the state allow teaching that certain races are inferior? That women are the weaker sex?

You're damn right the state doesn't allow bigotry to be taught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Its faith. We can't change it. Its a real pity because once you open yourself to God.. its not about what I can't do,,, its becomes what more can I do for him.

Everything has a place in our life.. Our modern day excesses are literally killing us.. Too much drink.. too much food.. and our obsession with money. Sex becomes a pastime for some. How many people don't even know themselves..

I'll go wild here and say that Greed, Gluttony and Lust are not modern day phenomena.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

as Ive said in previous treads being homosexual is not a sin, but the act
    of homosexuality is.
    personally i think everybody has the right to a civil partnership if they
    wish, but to get married in any christen church is wrong.

dvae wrote: »
    of homosexuality is.

Yep, love thy neighbour*

*but if that neighbour wishes to be joined in matrimony with a member of the same sex, forget it.

Granted, i fit the dictionary definition of 'adulterer' in that myself and my girlfriend are unmarried and have sex. I probably should have said that i reject the notion of it being sinful.

I regret to inform you that you are not, in fact, an adulterer.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adultery

You are in fact a fornicator.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fornication

An update to your status will be in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

On a side note my understanding was that it wasn't a sin to be gay or even a pedophile, it was a sin to practice these things. So as far as God is concerned, the point "I was born that way" doesn't cut it.

dvae wrote: »
    of homosexuality is.

But shouldn't that be up to the christian church in question? There are quite a few.

Nodin wrote: »
    I regret to inform you that you are not, in fact, an adulterer.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adultery

You are in fact a fornicator.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fornication

An update to your status will be in the post.

Well hot dog, this changes everything!

Well hot dog, this changes everything!

Indeed. Those customised t-shirts will have to be re-ordered for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

No, but I'm 62. When kids are indoctrinated with the normality of homosexuality - using a same-sex home in a reader without comment, for example - that is equivalent to teaching homosexuality is moral.
    I don't think it is. I think it's teaching kids that there are a multitude of different peoples out there in the big world and that not everyone is the same. Isn't this part of how you instil respect for others? I don't see how you can instil respect for homosexual people by saying 'Here's Peter and Dave, they live together and kiss each other, that's deviant, you know'.
    They would not have an incestuous home as a Janet & John type reader, I assume.
    Incest is illegal. So no, I've never seen a book that presents this as an acceptable family situation (at least, not as a school book).
    Unless you think schools do not promote any morality?
    Difficult to say. I'm not sure it's a school's job to promote morality in any way other than what is defined in law. I certainly don't think a school should be teaching that homosexuality is immoral or moral, more that it simply IS.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Snappy Smurf

I don't think it is. I think it's teaching kids that there are a multitude of different peoples out there in the big world and that not everyone is the same. Isn't this part of how you instil respect for others? I don't see how you can instil respect for homosexual people by saying 'Here's Peter and Dave, they live together and kiss each other, that's deviant, you know'.

Incest is illegal. So no, I've never seen a book that presents this as an acceptable family situation (at least, not as a school book).

Difficult to say. I'm not sure it's a school's job to promote morality in any way other than what is defined in law. I certainly don't think a school should be teaching that homosexuality is immoral or moral, more that it simply IS.

The UN Convention acknowledges the right of parents to choose the type of education for their kids, which may include sending them to RCC school where they should learn Catholic doctrine.

Secular schools teach that homosexual acts are good and normal; in a pluralist society, the contrary must be acknowledged - the right to dissent from the new moral fashions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The UN Convention acknowledges the right of parents to choose the type of education for their kids, which may include sending them to RCC school where they should learn Catholic doctrine.

Secular schools teach that homosexual acts are good and normal; in a pluralist society, the contrary must be acknowledged - the right to dissent from the new moral fashions.

Well actually, I never had a teacher condemn homosexuality as immoral when I was in Primary School (Catholic like all at the time). I also doubt the vast majority of parents would have approved if they had done so, understandably so. Most of the teachers in the current system wouldn't agree with this teaching and you'd see an even more massive decline in support for Catholic schools if it was being taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

I went to a Catholic school. We never learned that homosexuality was immoral. Nor that creationism was a real thing.
    Secular schools teach that homosexual acts are good
    I don't believe this to be true.
    and normal
    A normal part of society, yes.

in a pluralist society, the contrary must be acknowledged - the right to dissent from the new moral fashions.
    You have the right to dissent from whatever 'moral fashion' you choose. I'd argue that you have less of a right to make that choice for your child. I'd argue that you NO right to make that choice for society as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Snappy Smurf

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Well actually, I never had a teacher condemn homosexuality as immoral when I was in Primary School (Catholic like all at the time). I also doubt the vast majority of parents would have approved if they had done so, understandably so. Most of the teachers in the current system wouldn't agree with this teaching and you'd see an even more massive decline in support for Catholic schools if it was being taught.

At secondary school.

TBH I don't think sodomy was condemned at my Catholic secondary school.
    I went to a Catholic school. We never learned that homosexuality was immoral. Nor that creationism was a real thing.

I don't believe this to be true.

A normal part of society, yes.
    You have the right to dissent from whatever 'moral fashion' you choose. I'd argue that you have less of a right to make that choice for your child. I'd argue that you NO right to make that choice for society as a whole.
    Well creationism is more of a Protestant fixation. If by that you mean literal 7 day creationism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

At secondary school.

TBH I don't think sodomy was condemned at my Catholic secondary school.

I doubt parent's attitudes will change by the time their children are in secondary school and teacher's would be equally unwilling to teach it as they would in Primary schools..... You will simply eliminate every Catholic school in the country if you teach something that 99% of Irish people do not agree with. You want teenagers to be taught that coming out is wrong and that it is evil to give into their desire to be in relationship with someone they care about if they are of the same sex, that's going to do wonders for the mental health of young people...

Endorsing such indoctrination in the school system is entirely wrong and far more immoral. You're just a condemning a minority, this is in no way different to teaching anti-semitism or racism in the education system. If you really want your children to believe this, do it yourself as it is not the duty of schools to teach intolerance of any variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Catholic education ( i mean religious ed in catholic schools) took a bit of a nosedive in the seventies and eighties. That's why there is a whole generation of catholics aged 20-40 who have no real knowledge of the Faith.
    Everything they think they know about religion is warped and twisted.

Yet they feel they have the right to pontificate on all things pertaining to the Church, and they speak with such an air of authority one could hardly be faulted for thinking they were the most learned theologians.

The OP, who is not catholic, but is an oldtimer like myself, has a much better grasp of reality. Give me a good protestant over a bad catholic anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yep, love thy neighbour*

*but if that neighbour wishes to be joined in matrimony with a member of the same sex, forget it.

One can love and disaprove at the same time.

But there's a difference between loving disapproval, and flat out not letting them do it (and branding them sinners while they're at it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Apparently some posters in this thread think you can only love people if you
    a) Enthusiastically approve of every aspect of their lifestyle.

or

b) Engage in sexual relations with them.

I don't know what it is about the topic of homosexuality, but every time it comes up on this forum it seems to breed hysteria, bad logic, and an inability to read simple English. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement