Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junk Mail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

BrianJD wrote: »
    Is it really junk mail if you get a Menu or a flyer through the door? Occasionally I deliver some handbills with a local Supermarket's offers from door to door and it amazes me the number of people with a "No Advertising" sticker on their letterbox.

How much trouble must it be to receive it when you go to hassle and ugliness of putting a sticker on your door?

Out of curiosity, would you look through a handbill of offers or does it go straight in the bin?

Id glance through a menu or flyer from local supermarket when I get them through the door-one point about the no junk mail signs- if someone canvassing for a political party or campaign say someone from campaign against property taxes/water charges is canvassing an area to let people there's an upcoming public meeting by the campaign due to be held-if you got a leaflet about an upcoming public meeting against property taxes or a leaflet from an election canditate at election time- how many would class either leaflet as junkmail ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

You have to attack the problem at the root of the money trail.
    If the local indian or some supermarket gets grief from people immediately after a leaflet drop, they'll put pressure on the leaflet distributors to respect the "no junk mail" signs.

I'd love if the law was changed so that if you get an unsolicited leaflet you just drop it straight in a post box and then an post deliver it back to where it came from at a charge to the recipient.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Morlar wrote: »
    I have one of those 'No JUNK MAIL's signs now too - had to, thing is even with that clearly printed it does not always work.

I also make a point of never using companies who market this way.

Same here.

If they are rude enough to have my wishes ignored on my own property, well stuff them!
    Why the hell should I in return, use their services, giving them cash if they are still going to previously ignore my wishes!

Business should tell their leaflet droppers not to ignore such notices because (a) those that have a "No junk mail" notice are going to bin it and further possible ignore their business in return for being ignorant - and (b) their leaflet will definitely go in the bin more so out of disgust, so that's one less leaflet that will more effectively reach a possible other alternative customer!

I'd love if the law was changed so that if you get an unsolicited leaflet you just drop it straight in a post box and then an post deliver it back to where it came from at a charge to the recipient.

I've brought some of their crap back to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think I may start collecting my junk mail from now on and returning all of it to a random one of the offenders' premises. Papa John's can expect my Joyce's, Specsaver's and Chinese take-aways' junk mail to be returned along with their own the next time they shove some of their crap through my door.
    The question is how to send it to the manager rather than simply dropping it into the diner for the workers to throw in the bin? Perhaps in an envelope address to the manager? This requires some further thought...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Postmen push the letters through.

Leaflet delivery people frequently don't and there is at best a heat loss issue.

Worst thing is that it allows burgers know if a house is unoccupied.

And don't get me started on the scum involved in fake charities :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Chucken wrote: »
    I love my junk mail :( ....cos no one writes me letters anymore, it gives me something to browse through at breakfast time :D
    Same as, I get bored eating me porridge. They are better than reading bills anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

So does nigerian spam otherwise they wouldnt keep doing it. You are still pissing off a large number of people with unsolicited crap into their mailbox every single day in order for you to make your money.

You’re comparing an illegal scam to con people out of money to a legitimate business trying to advertise? Hardly the same thing now is it. You’d be amazed at how many people are interested in this type of advertising. Especially the leaflets I deliver, which is for a local shops special offers. I would say the vast majority of people at least skim through them.

That said, there should be a ‘sometimes’ option added to the poll. I would read some marketing leaflets, but then there are some like those so called ‘charity’ collection leaflets that I would put straight in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

It might as well be an empty crisp packet coming through the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I have one of those 'No JUNK MAIL's signs now too - had to, thing is even with that clearly printed it does not always work.

I also make a point of never using companies who market this way.

whos a bit of a moaning michael,jesus lighten up they are just pieces of paper.throw it in the bin.blood pressure goes down.
    breathe in through the nose out through the mouth.:D

love junk mail, i secretly roll around naked in piles of it and pretend its money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Can a moderator please add an option to the poll- as what should and shouldn't be classed as junk mail- example should advertising menu leaflets from local takeaways/ flyers from supermarkets only be classed as junk mail ? should poltical leaflets from poltical campaigns/ poltical canditates/poltical parties be classed as junk mail ?

• Advertisement

Leaflet delivery people frequently don't and there is at best a heat loss issue.

And don't get me started on the scum involved in fake charities :mad:

Any junk mail that comes with the postman, you can request that they stop delivering it.

Also see this: http://www.dublinwaste.ie/block_junk_mail.html

Also: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/telecommunications_and_postal_services/dealing_with_unsolicited_direct_marketing.html

Finally: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/smart-consumer/smart-consumer-how-can-i-stop-all-this-junk-mail-2138509.html

It might as well be an empty crisp packet coming through the door.

I think that sums up the thread perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I got a no junk mail sticker on the door about two months ago, It was getting stupid the amount of junk coming in every day,

It wourked really well and the vast majority of people delivering the flyers respect the sign.
    There have been one or two that have pushed the crap through anyway, if it happens and I'm home I go out after them and make them take it back.

I do not want any of this crap, if I want to look at a menu I'll go online where all the information I need can be found, these leaflets should be banned as they are extremely wastful and a nousance.

Pain in the arse picking up all the crap that used to come through the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

I have a no junk mail sign on my letterbox, works most of the time but still get the odd one every now and then. The religious leaflets always get put through, they obviously feel it doesn't apply the them! They have had their chance now and if they do it again when i am at home i will be going out to them and they will have their leaflets back and be told not to come near the door again. I have to pay for my recycling to be taken away and i have enough of my own rubbish without them adding to it!

Am Chile wrote: »
    Can a moderator please add an option to the poll- as what should and shouldn't be classed as junk mail- example should advertising menu leaflets from local takeaways/ flyers from supermarkets only be classed as junk mail ? should poltical leaflets from poltical campaigns/ poltical canditates/poltical parties be classed as junk mail ?
    IMO anything which has no name or address on it is junk mail. No exceptions. If it's not addressed to me, then I don't care...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

That reminds me of a story I heard at least 10 years ago from the UK.
    Some junk mail came with a "freepost" card to respond / subscribe.
    Actually, I may be showing my age and it was pre-email !

Anyway, someone got fed up with the junk mail, and attached a brick to the freepost card and sent it back.
    So the junk mailer got charged a decent amount for the postage cost of mailing a brick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I'm happy enough with local businesses advertising this way. Getting annoyed is a first world problem.

I'm happy enough with local businesses advertising this way. Getting annoyed is a first world problem.

We live in the first world.

We don't just have to contend with famine plague and pestilence anymore.

That reminds me of a story I heard at least 10 years ago from the UK.
    Some junk mail came with a "freepost" card to respond / subscribe.
    Actually, I may be showing my age and it was pre-email !

Anyway, someone got fed up with the junk mail, and attached a brick to the freepost card and sent it back.
    So the junk mailer got charged a decent amount for the postage cost of mailing a brick :D

10 years ago there was email.

We live in the first world.

We don't just have to contend with famine plague and pestilence anymore.

It's a very minor complaint. Don't like the flyer, recycle it. Do like it - use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

10 years ago there was email.

Okay... showing my age here... it may have been "That's Life" on BBC about 25 years ago :eek:

Okay... showing my age here...

LOL You are!

Sad part is in showing my age, I used to watch it too. Gawd bless Esther Rantzen and those teeth! :pac:

The best solution would be a free phone number to call, or an Internet site to opt in for different types of flyers. When I move into a house I am, in fact, interested in deals for new occupiers - like from the local video store, butcher, taxi numbers, restaurants etc. opting in would allow local businesses to target more effectively too.

The best solution would be a free phone number to call, or an Internet site to opt in for different types of flyers. When I move into a house I am, in fact, interested in deals for new occupiers - like from the local video store, butcher, taxi numbers, restaurants etc. opting in would allow local businesses to target more effectively too.

Some form of that is called a mailing list, but I don't think that would stop them to be honest.

If someone is on sales commission or working to targets for a head office and they can spam 5000 people every single day to get 3 additional responses they will do that instead.

I think they should be penalised in some way - it's the only way they will pay attention, save some trees & stop pissing off lots of people to make a little more money.

Not quite a mailing list as you are signing up for an area of interest, and then you get the mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah, terrible when you hear of people getting broken into by a Big Mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Chucken wrote: »
    I love my junk mail :( ....cos no one writes me letters anymore, it gives me something to browse through at breakfast time :D

Gives me something to wipe with at toilet time.... All it's good for really :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Few weeks back i was at work (Chinese deliveries) when my boss called me to speak on the phone to a woman who was clearly very upset. She had gotten a leaflet through the door that morning from his Chinese shop but when the leaflet went in the door of the letter box, the door stayed up and you could see clearly into her house. She was concerned that people driving/walking past could see that the house was empty through out the whole day, she worked as a nurse 14+ hrs a day, and imo shes right to think that way because there are plenty of scumbags looking out for this kind of thing. So its also a security risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I voted no, but I would read it if it was obviously something I needed or was looking for.

What I mean is, I throw 99% of it in the bin but if I noticed it was for a new pizza delivery place then I might read it because I like getting pizza.

I absolutely hate those stupid catalogues though. I have asked them repeatedly not to put them in my letterbox but they insist and then they annoy me looking for them back.

Also, one particular pain in the ass delivers at 5.30am which I think should constitute disturbing the peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Any junk mail that comes through the door is usually put straight into the recycling bin. If it's a supermarket flyer I will look at it though in case there's any good offers. The worst time for junk mail is always during elections - last year I remember we got about 10 of the same flyers for Sean Gallagher through the door.

Advertisement