Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug Addiction Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Naked Lunch is a rather distrubing trippy journey down the road of heroin addiction (I think :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Rush, an early 90’s crime film with Jason Patric, deals with drug addiction also and is quite good,
    From recent memory, A Scanner Darkly.
    As for depressing, Scum with Ray Winstone is no rom-com.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

"The Man with the Golden Arm"

From 1955 and starring Frank Sinatra - it dealt with herion addiction and was quite controversial at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_with_the_Golden_Arm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

Requiem for a Dream. It's odd and you'll have the title song stuck in your head for weeks afterwords. It's a good film though.
    Stuart: A Life Backwards is not strictly a drug addiction movie (it's about an alcoholic) but it's worth a watch too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Requiem for a dream was good,trainspotting too,have watched the two of them in one night have them both on dvd..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Stuart: A Life Backwards is not strictly a drug addiction movie (it's about an alcoholic)

Chris Morris agrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I'd say the original Bad Lieutenant is more what you're looking for than the Cage version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

French Connection 11 is centered around Popeye Doyles forced decent into a heroin haze and the cold turkey recovery, its a good film, just quite different to FC1

Christiane F was all the rage in 1981 - one of the talked of films of the year though its success was on a cult level.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

a scanner darkly its mad how they made that film

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

a scanner darkly its mad how they made that film

Yeah it is :L It's a brilliant film too :L

For something a little more light hearted you can't go wrong with these two Canadian features which are easily two of the best unseen films in recent years.

Weirdsvillw

High Life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Half Nelson and Leaving Las Vegas are two good albeit grim films which deal with drug issues.

I presume we're including alcohol under the drug umbrella ;) Check out Charles Bukowski work which has proper harsh realism allied with addiction. They also made two films about him called 'Barfly' and 'Factotum'.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 38 matthewS.

definitly check out the pusher trilogy, Nicolas Winding Refn's older films.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My favourite Drug Addiction film is definitely Requiem for a Dream although I think this is a popular opinion :L

Can you recommend any more drug addiction movies?
    What are your favourite ones and why?

I don't get the whole requiem mass hysteria thing - it's without a doubt one of the worst films i've ever seen. Rubbish from start to end (much like a lot of aronofsky's stuff!)

For addiction films - try spun, that's very good and trainspotting but you've almost certainly seen that. Also along addiction lines is Love Liza which is quite good (and depressing - so that's a win win:D) Leaving Las Vegas is about a guy drinking himself to death (nicholas cage in one of his very best roles) is very good too

Not quite addiction but for good drugs based films try Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas which is good for a laugh (not neccesarily your thing!) And Go(again, not depressing or anything but very good) Blow with Johnny Depp is the life story of the guy who basically introduced cocaine to america and is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I don't get the whole requiem mass hysteria thing - it's without a doubt one of the worst films i've ever seen. Rubbish from start to end

Here here,

Beautifully shot, and a fantastic soundtrack but the plot was like something written by an assemblage of Joe Duffy callers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Defo echo above posted with Leaving Las Vegas, if its depression and addiction you are after.

Animal Kingdom has some drug related incidents in it, and is definitely depressing. Wonderful film.

Not sure if anyone mentioned Midnight Cowboy but I think it would be right up your alley. Excellent film.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Down to the Bone is a pretty good show, Made by the same director that made Winter's Bone

Nil By Mouth directed by Gary Oldman is very, very bleak

Just watched nil by mouth. It was brilliant. I love that girl from gimme gimme gimme and to see her getting battered was incredibly sad. (I know it's just a film) :L

I've gotten every film suggested and I'm gonna watch them all because it's summer and I've literally got nout else to do :L

And Go(again, not depressing or anything but very good) Blow with Johnny Depp is the life story of the guy who basically introduced cocaine to america and is excellent.

Did you not see the end of that film? I thought it was incredibly depressing :L Depends on what you find depressing though i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

The Addiction is about blood addiction/vampires, directed by the same weirdo (kidding) that did the original Bad Lieutenant, it's strange but worth a watch.

• Advertisement

Did you not see the end of that film? I thought it was incredibly depressing :L Depends on what you find depressing though i suppose.

Ha, i hadn't seen it in years - i'd forgotten the ending till you said that!
    Still wouldn't really call it depressing though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Stuart: A Life Backwards is not strictly a drug addiction movie (it's about an alcoholic) but it's worth a watch too!

Great movie. First time I saw Tom Hardy in anything and I thought he was fantastic in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning leaving las vegas? wasn't he an alcoholic?

it's a bit like saying cheech and chong is about drug addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

If you're looking for something depressing, realistic and slow moving check out "Noi the Albino". It's about a teenage boy growing up in rural Western Iceland. It's got some brilliant scenes in it and the acting is top notch.

puffishoes wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people keep mentioning leaving las vegas? wasn't he an alcoholic?

it's a bit like saying cheech and chong is about drug addiction.

Has alcohol stopped being a drug recently?
    There were drugs in cheech and chong too you know:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Has alcohol stopped being a drug recently?
    There were drugs in cheech and chong too you know:D

well then we can mention every film were people are drinking tea/coffee/smoking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I've gotten every film suggested and I'm gonna watch them all because it's summer and I've literally got nout else to do :L

Hmm, depressing yet.. with some hope. Try Lilya 4-ever. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300140/

puffishoes wrote: »
    well then we can mention every film were people are drinking tea/coffee/smoking etc

Well if the film was about them being addicted to tea/coffee/smoking then yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I really enjoyed Greenwich Mean Time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Drugs are bad mmmmmkay

Fear and loathing is a great film

Advertisement