Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug Addiction Movies

Options
  • 16-07-2012 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭

Recently I've started watching a lot of films concerning the issue of drug addiction. I find the whole thing fascinating.
    Most recently I've watched The Basketball Diaries, which is the true story of Jim Carrols descent into drug addiction.
    My favourite Drug Addiction film is definitely Requiem for a Dream although I think this is a popular opinion :L

Can you recommend any more drug addiction movies?
    What are your favourite ones and why?
    Also, I love depressing films, can you recommend any of those?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Trainspotting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Apt username is apt :p

Seriously though, I'm the same as you, though it's not the fact that I'm feeling depressed watching something that makes it satisying, I just love films that deal with realism, social deprivation, dysfunctional relationships etc.

In terms of drug addiction, check out Candy with Heath Ledger and Abbi Cornish. It's ok, no masterpiece but worth the watch. Geoffrey Rush is in it too actually.

In terms of depression, well, I suppose Tyrannasaur (sp.) would probably the most recent example that I can think of. Peter Mullen acts, Paddy Considine directs.

Also, check out Naked, direceted by Mike Leigh. The protagonist Jonny is severely messed up. Amazing script, probably my favourite film along with Amelie (completely different films!).

Anyhow, check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Down to the Bone is a pretty good show, Made by the same director that made Winter's Bone

Nil By Mouth directed by Gary Oldman is very, very bleak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Suas11 wrote: »
    Trainspotting

Everyones seen that :L
    kraggy wrote: »
    Apt username is apt :p

Seriously though, I'm the same as you, though it's not the fact that I'm feeling depressed watching something that makes it satisying, I just love films that deal with realism, social deprivation, dysfunctional relationships etc.

In terms of drug addiction, check out Candy with Heath Ledger and Abbi Cornish. It's ok, no masterpiece but worth the watch. Geoffrey Rush is in it too actually.

In terms of depression, well, I suppose Tyrannasaur (sp.) would probably the most recent example that I can think of. Peter Mullen acts, Paddy Considine directs.

Also, check out Naked, direceted by Mike Leigh. The protagonist Jonny is severely messed up. Amazing script, probably my favourite film along with Amelie (completely different films!).

Anyhow, check them out.

I've seen Candy. I thought it was good :) Haven't seen Tyrannassaur or Naked, Will definitely check them out, thanks :D

Have to recommend "Blow" great true story movie about George Jung who was a major drug dealer. Stars Johnny Depp. (My favourite of all his films)
    On the depressing side, if you haven't seen "We need to talk about Kevin" it's well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Trapped in a Purple Haze...:)

Have to recommend "Blow" great true story movie about George Jung who was a major drug dealer. Stars Johnny Depp. (My favourite of all his films)
    On the depressing side, if you haven't seen "We need to talk about Kevin" it's well worth a watch.

We Need to Talk About Kevin has nothing to do with drug addiction

Gee Bag wrote: »
    We Need to Talk About Kevin has nothing to do with drug addiction
    I know, but I was saying that it's a great yet depressing movie. The op also mentioned that he liked watching films that were depressing.

I know, but I was saying that it's a great yet depressing movie. The op also mentioned that he liked watching films that were depressing.

My bad Wextext, didn't see that bit in the first post.

In that case he should check out Little Odessa. That show would make Santa think Christmas was futile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Traffic, Steven Soderbergh film

Very well known, won a lot of awards

Not so much drug addiction but more well to do, spoilt students abusing drugs

And then covers lots more aspects of the drugs trade like cartels, smuggling, the justice system, etc

Very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Requiem for a Dream will probably tickle your fancy so

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Traffic, Steven Soderbergh film

Very well known, won a lot of awards

Not so much drug addiction but more well to do, spoilt students abusing drugs

And then covers lots more aspects of the drugs trade like cartels, smuggling, the justice system, etc

Very good

I downloaded that yesterday. I'm planning on watching it tomorrow, It looks good.
    Old Perry wrote: »
    Requiem for a Dream will probably tickle your fancy so

Mentioned that in the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Spun, Brittany Murphy and Mickey Rourke are in it,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

NEDS - Doesnt start off as a drug addiction film, but just give it a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Cocaine Cowboys is a documentary about the drug trade in 80's Florida and definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

'H'

BBC2 had this on, years and years ago. I liked it at the time, feels a bit stage bound though. Be warned, there's some smackhead poetry recital from a little black book, which is cringeworthy, but still, powerful enough film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_(1990_film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128246/

Edit: Naked - I thought he was just a borderline louse. It seemed to lean mostly towards alcohol too. Grim film, even by Mike Leigh standards.

What about a bit of a dark comedy "Adam and Paul", about a couple of heroin addicts in Dublin.

Amalgam wrote: »
    'H'

BBC2 had this on, years and years ago. I liked it at the time, feels a bit stage bound though. Be warned, there's some smackhead poetry recital from a little black book, which is cringeworthy, but still, powerful enough film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_(1990_film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128246/

I've been looking for that film for ages and can't find it anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

..is Drugstore Cowboy too mainstream that nobody has mentioned it yet..?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097240/

Al Pacino in Scarface, famous film though I didn't enjoy it at all
    Yet it became one of the most famous films of that decade :confused:

Bad Lieutenant
    I didn't see the original but the new one has Nicolas Cage knocking back the painkillers
    A rare good film for Cage

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    ..is Drugstore Cowboy too mainstream that nobody has mentioned it yet..?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097240/

Looove that film :L

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Depressing film? The Road

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Al Pacino in Scarface, famous film though I didn't enjoy it at all
    Yet it became one of the most famous films of that decade :confused:

Bad Lieutenant
    I didn't see the original but the new one has Nicolas Cage knocking back the painkillers
    A rare good film for Cage

I didn't enjoy scarface whatsoever myself :L Any time I say that to anyone, their face is priceless :L
    I'll get bad lieutenant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 GunRunner

We Children From Bahnhof Zoo.

GunRunner wrote: »
    We Children From Bahnhof Zoo.

Is that the same film as Christiane F? I seen that, it's amazing and absolutely heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 GunRunner

Is that the same film as Christiane F? I seen that, it's amazing and absolutely heartbreaking.

That's it, yeah. :) One of the most powerful films I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Less than Zero. You'd be better off reading the book but the movie's worth a watch if only to see Robert Downey Jr getting treated like shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

The first Bad Lieutenant is a bleak but really cathartic film, well worth watching. Keitel at his best.

A rather stark drug addiction film worth watching is The Panic in Needle Park. Stars a young Pacino in excellent form.

Also, The Pianist, as a film about a Jewish lad avoiding the Nazis during WWII, is as you'd expect rather depressing.

For sad and depressing, I recommend Big Fan

Zero knowledge of football is required, don't worry

I didn't know the main actor, apparently he's well known on comedy TV shows.

A loser in a dead end job living at home.
    Worships his team but can't even afford tickets so watches games in the parking lot
    His main outlet is ranting on sports radio

I liked it, held my interest throughout but don't expect a happy ending or closure.
    It's a depressing film, not on the level of The Road but for a sports film it's pretty sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

For depressing there is Garage starring Pat Shortt.

Advertisement