Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mauritius Newspaper Publishes Dead Images

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carers Moms

Anyone else as concerned as myself by the Irish media's feeding frenzy about the tragedy. They keep writing the correct thing in their columns and editorials i.e. "give the family space & privacy" but they do the exact opposite.

That reflects their readers obsession with this story, and here we are posting on yet another thread about it.

Michaela Harte's death was an absolutely horrible event but it seems that many priviledge the lives of some over others... we keep hearing she was 'beautiful' (and by societal norms, yes she was) but does that make it any more tragic than say, a 25 stone woman with a cleft palate being murdered?

Who her father is, how strong her faith was, whether or not she was a Gaelgeoir is all completely irrelevant

Contrast the treatment of this case to the 19 year old Wexford girl who died in Japan. Be honest, many of you can't recall her name

Or the Irish girl killed in a terrorist attack in Kusadasi, Turkey.

Hierarchy of victims, same old story

As for anyone posting that we boycott Mauritius, well apply the same rationale here; no French tourists owing to Sophie Toscan du Plantier

Be more reflexive people, pleaaaase

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Has anyone else seen the guy they are sending out to tell someone off?

Thats two expensive flights, personal expenses, accommodation, food, etc - and just to tell off the ambassadorial representative there in a short conversation.

Jeasus, would someone in Dublin just pick up the phone and learn how to use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

He's one fat cat for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

It's a crazy waste of money sending someone over and it's obviously only being done to improve the government's approval ratings. Has it even been confirmed that Michaela McAreevy was an Irish citizen or was she travelling on a British passport seeing as she was from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

I've seen dead bodies published on Irish papers before, i really don't see the difference here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

KilOit wrote: »
    I've seen dead bodies published on Irish papers before, i really don't see the difference here.

First thing I thought about when reading the faux-outrage in the Irish papers the other day, was the pictures plastered over their own front pages of Jerry McCabe after he was murdered.

Bunch of hand wringing hypocritical muppets.

I'm not for one second saying that the Mauritian paper should get away with publishing the pics, but the spiel coming from some of our own lot over it is laughable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...I'm not for one second saying that the Mauritian paper should get away with publishing the pics, but the spiel coming from some of our own lot over it is laughable.

1 huge fella now has sure gotten (to his shame) a massively costly short holiday trip at the nations expense!
    I wonder what the hell he did to be awarded this perk!

More governmental perks handed out to the favoured - at the nations expense!
    Its a disgrace!
    Remember this the next time Enda and Gilmore ask you to dip into your pockets and cry about "Austerity".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

Biggins wrote: »
    Its a disgrace!
    Remember this the next time Enda and Gilmore ask you to dip into your pockets and cry about "Austerity".

Indeed,
    Its about as much use as ringing a random civilian over there and just saying:
    "Less of that now lads".

Its utterly pointless, unless its being done to waste money, the pictures are already out,
    Hell tourism is up in Mauritius despite the 'noble' decision of several companies to stop holiday packages over there.

But hell its an opportunity for people with a certain eye for an bit of positive publicity to stick their oar in and climb a few steps on the way to the moral high-ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Did anyone see the picture last week of a young girl with a pencil through her head?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I won't start a new thread so ill continue this one.

The editor was found to be behaving badly by publishing those images of her strung out. I was looking to see them at the time. I said I'll give it a few months to let them spread around.

Anyone seen these images yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

To be honest, this is a road I think we should not go down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement