Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mauritius Newspaper Publishes Dead Images

Options
  • 15-07-2012 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Wow, this is about as low as it gets. Talk about a poor standard of journalism.

Enda Kenny vows to make formal complaint over pictures that included close-up shots of murdered teacher's dead body

The Irish government is to make a formal complaint to Mauritius after a newspaper published photographs of the body of the murdered schoolteacher Michaela McAreavey.

Her family said the publication of the photos, shot at the crime scene in the Legends hotel in Mauritius, was "reprehensible and repugnant".

McAreavey was the daughter of Mickey Harte, one of the most successful Gaelic football managers in modern times. Two men accused of her murder in January 2011 were cleared on Thursday.

Northern Ireland's deputy first minister, Martin McGuinness, said it was clear the photographs "emanated from within the Mauritian system".

About 12 black and white photos of the crime scene appeared in the Mauritius newspaper the Sunday Times. On the front page was an image of McAreavey after her death, with the word "exclusive" written above it.

Inside the paper were more images of the crime scene, including the couple's honeymoon suite and the bathroom where John McAreavey found his wife's body. There were also close-up shots of McAreavey's injuries.

The Irish taoiseach, Enda Kenny, said the publication was "an appalling invasion of privacy and a gross affront to human dignity", and said he would be protesting to officials in Mauritius in "the strongest possible terms".

From Guardian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Pics or GTFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

flyswatter wrote: »
    The Irish taoiseach, Enda Kenny, said the publication was "an appalling invasion of privacy and a gross affront to human dignity", and said he would be protesting to officials in Mauritius in "the strongest possible terms".

That'll go something like...

Kenny; "I want to express my feelings of deep disgust at what your press have done"

Mauritius Government Official: "**** off, Enda"

Kenny; "Oh, OK. Sorry"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

That's just messed up

What a cheap thing to do. I don't get that mindset

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO
    No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

read it this morning, are they really out to destroy their own tourist industry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Pics or GTFO

no need for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Pics or GTFO
    What the fcuk would you want to see them for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Jesus after all the stick they got for handling the case wrong, people giving them stick on facebook, boycotting the entire country over the 2 men getting off...they go and publish the photos for the world to see.

Why not come over and kick her poor husband/family in the nuts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Pics or GTFO

In any other thread that would be a good response,but here now its not.I hope you have a good nights sleep tonight because i dont think her husband or family will, knowing those pics are out in the public domain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

i believe we should have someone nuke mauritius from orbit ....

... its the only way to be sure .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Rasheed wrote: »
    What the fcuk would you want to see them for?

He was clearly joking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Going against the grain here, but it's pretty standard in most places to publish pictures of dead people in newspapers... it only really seems to be England, Ireland and the states that do not do it.

Go to france, Germany or most other places and the free papers on the tube will have these kind of photos.

they seem to be less hung up about dead bodies than in Ireland.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like looking at them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Kamjana wrote: »
    In any other thread that would be a good response,but here now its not.I hope you have a good nights sleep tonight because i dont think her husband or family will, knowing those pics are out in the public domain now.

Id say he said it because there already is a large thread in relation to this topic. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Wont be looking if I can avoid it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Anyone for an invasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Can't say I find it tasteful but different countries have differing levels of detail in their reporting including things the majority in Ireland would find shocking.

I don't know in this situation if the inclusion of these pictures is a standard thing in their reporting or if they've been included because of the 'celebrity' nature of this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Kamjana wrote: »

I was waiting for this kind of reply, when there's pics in the paper of dead body's in war zones etc it wouldnt cross our minds to glance at it and move on but because it's an Irish person it's meant to make a difference ?

^^^^^^^^^^ Appears serious
    He was clearly joking
    Well it was a shiite joke if he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Just noticed there is a thread on the trial already but maybe this could be kept open mods as it's kind of a moral issue about the press?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Thats nothing odd in countries like that. They show things like that on the evening news in places like Brazil and Mexico. Im not surprised really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

I wonder were people in Iraq complaining when Irish papers published images of dead children and people lying dead on the side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

I was waiting for this kind of reply, when there's pics in the paper of dead body's in war zones etc it wouldnt cross our minds to glance at it and move on but because it's an Irish person it's meant to make a difference ?

So you only posted it waiting for a reply like mine,nice.Each to there own and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I wonder were people in Iraq complaining when Irish papers published images of dead children and people lying dead on the side of the road.

Huh?
    Probably not...I'd say they had other problems at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

He was clearly joking

Jokes are meant to be funny.

Whatever about the paper printing the pictures, what cnut in the judicial system leaked them in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Jokes are meant to be funny.

Ever hear of dark humour?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

What? Most Iraqi's wanted that type of image to spread. That was a war, this was murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,179 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Thats nothing odd in countries like that. They show things like that on the evening news in places like Brazil and Mexico. Im not surprised really.

Yeah when someone is shot in the middle of the street by the bloody Zetas. You don't publish pictures of a woman who has been strangled in her hotel room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Yeah when someone is shot in the middle of the street by the bloody Zetas. You don't publish pictures of a woman who has been strangled in her hotel room.

Not to say im not horrified by the publishing of the images, but,

What is the difference between the two?

Is one human life valued more than another?

Regardless of circumstance the picture will still show someone; a person, with a life, a family etc, who has been killed. :(

What decides whether it is acceptable or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,179 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Not to say im not horrified by the publishing of the images, but,

What is the difference between the two?

Is one human life valued more than another?

Regardless of circumstance the picture will still show someone; a person, with a life, a family etc, who has been killed. :(

What decides whether it is acceptable or not?

None of them are acceptable. The difference is, when they show a dead person on TV in Mexico it is after they have been gunned down in the street. The persons body is left on the street covered with a sheet for a long time while the CSI's do their job. The public and news crews will get pictures and videos of this.

Michaela was killed in her hotel room which is private. These pictures were obtained illegally after being leaked by an official that works for the government and it should never have been printed in the papers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement