Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Music as Ring Tones

Options
2»

Comments

o1s1n wrote: »
    my complaint was more to do with Apple than the device itself. I'm sure once they're jailbroken they're great - but it really is taking the piss not allowing consumers to set their own ringtone on a factory default unit.

Yup, that's apple, pretty much. Their target market is basic or average users with plenty of cash who don't want the hassle of messing with file extensions etc. the iPhone is great, but it's a pretty brainless thing. It's pretty and it works well, but you've a lot of hassle with it if you want to do anything more advanced or don't want to give apple a lot of money for ringtones and services.

I had a Nokia 5110 over a decade ago that I could do more with in terms of customising ringtones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I miss when phones were phones, these laptops people hold to their ears nowadays that have to be charged twice a day do my head in.

Texts & calls, anything else well thats what real computers are for

db_old-man1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Depends entirely what you want from a phone though ImmediateEntrance. On the one side of the coin, I couldn't do without a smartphone. On the other, my other smartphone keeps me chained to my employer and sometimes you just need to switch off from work and you can't.

Spots six of one and half a dozen of the other really. Personally id rather have a brain implant that triggers some sort of cloaking GUI to your retinas.

One can dream... :)

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Depends entirely what you want from a phone though ImmediateEntrance.

Calls & texts :D

nokia-3310-troubleshooting.jpg
    On the one side of the coin, I couldn't do without a smartphone. On the other, my other smartphone keeps me chained to my employer and sometimes you just need to switch off from work and you can't.

Spots six of one and half a dozen of the other really. Personally id rather have a brain implant that triggers some sort of cloaking GUI to your retinas.

One can dream... :)

Ah of course, I'm definitely in the minority here as I can see how people are heavily dependant on smartphones nowadays for all kinds of things. But when your looking to buy a basic phone these days, it's an absolute nightmare.

I don't want a touchscreen
    I want buttons
    I don't want a battery that lasts for less than a day.
    I don't want bells & whistles...just give me a phone damn you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Calls & texts :D

nokia-3310-troubleshooting.jpg

Ah of course, I'm definitely in the minority here as I can see how people are heavily dependant on smartphones nowadays for all kinds of things. But when your looking to buy a basic phone these days, it's an absolute nightmare.

I don't want a touchscreen
    I want buttons
    I don't want a battery that lasts for less than a day.
    I don't want bells & whistles...just give me a phone damn you :D

This is my "don't care if it falls down a cliff" backup backup backup phone.
    41m1UCcrb5L._AA300_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluechip-Free-Mini-Mobile-Phone/dp/B003OQUD2C

Cheap, sim free and works pretty well.

• Advertisement

The golden age of when phones were phones was probably the 6310i

18-58-large.jpg

It all went downhill after that for the polyphonic brigade :(

Enough of your new fangled modern technology gizmos. The motorola 4500x. Now THAT was a phone. 30 mins maximum talktime per charge kept your conversation efficient and to the point, and the 8 hours standby time was perfect, it meant that doing unpaid overtime calls was impossible. Your boss paid for 8 hours and that's what he got. Easy to charge, just hook it up to a car battery, and it was light and compact too, could be carried around by one average sized man with a backpack or a small car.

motorola-4500x-1.jpg

That was a simpler time.....;)

PFFT! Sissys! It's all about the Zack Morris phone. :)

zack-phone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I tell you one thing a smart phone is brilliant for, browsing boards while commuting to work! Takes me an hour (sometimes more to get in and home) so I pass that time by reading this place.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I tell you one thing a smart phone is brilliant for, browsing boards while commuting to work! Takes me an hour (sometimes more to get in and home) so I pass that time by reading this place.

Charge your phone much :D

Maybe its just what happens when you get older & hit your 30's, but the net doesn't 'feel' like the net on a phone to me. It belongs solely on pc's & laptops :(

Still, it could be worse. Ciderman was recently saying he's converting all the lights in his house to oil lanterns because apparently the light from incandescent bulbs & even more modern CFL ones just isn't a match for traditional flame.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Maybe its just what happens when you get older & hit your 30's, but the net doesn't 'feel' like the net on a phone to me.

shoehorn.jpg

Shoe goes on! Shoe goes off! :)

Ooh a shoehorn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Finally got an android phone and decided to pay homage to one of my favourite gaming sounds and that is the gamecube start up. The gamecube also is the source of one of my most hated sounds and that's the failure to read your game disc sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Nice,

I like the variants of that too :

I'm rocking Super Mario One's main theme as my ringtone and a coin sound as a message.

More here : http://vip.aersia.net/vip.swf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had Magical Sound Shower on my phone for ages a couple of years ago.
    Problem is that musical ringtones tend to blend into the background, where music is often on.
    So there you are, listening to something on the radio when you think.... "Oh, there's someone playing Outrun" and by the time the weak minded fool has realised his phone ringing he's missed the call!
    For a long while I used the old phone ringer, you know, to remind me of the old days, when things rang on steam....

Now I have the ring tone from the Adam Sandler Disney film,

Never miss a call!

I'm going to get the music from Carnival!

Advertisement