Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Music as Ring Tones

Options
  • 14-07-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

So everyone knows that retro music is totally awesome and often lends itself perfectly as a nerdy ringtone.

And it's easier than ever to get on to phone
    1) locate fave music on youtube
    2) copy youtube url into www.snipmp3.com
    3) download resulting mp3
    4) copy to phone
    5) trim (if necessary)
    6) set as ringtone

here's my nomination and current tone, gonna be tough to beat!
    cast your vote now!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ive have street fighter 2 as my ringtone on the phone about a month now! not sure where i got it from, think i just googled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Sonic ring collect sound has been my sms alert tone for as long as i remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I've had the Streets Of Rage 2 Stage Clear jingle as my message tone for quite a while (before that it was the jingle from the start of the stages in Bomb Jack) and recently added Qui Qui from Puzzle Bobble 2 as my ringtone. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I used to have the double-dragon theme as my ring tone.

This is not retro but is game related; in lollipop chainsaw the main character can leap-frog over zombies and lets a out a cheerful "yeah!" everytime she does. I have that cheerful noise for my message alert tone... pity no body texts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've an iPhone so I'm ****ed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I've an iPhone so I'm ****ed!

Use www.audiko.net. Upload and edit it on their site and it will convert it to iphone format.

This is my text message tone. Nice and simple.

There's another way of making iPhone ringtones, also. Maximum 30 second sound clip, convert to m4a then rename the m4a extension to m4r. Sync it to your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

That Game Boy start-up ding that's used as a text alert always spins me dizzy searching for a Game Boy in the crowd. You hear a ton of them on the Northern Line to Camden, I've noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yoshi's Island Music - Map Theme

Had this tune as a ringtone on a Nokia 6310, pre-polyphonic days. Worked well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had this one on my... not sure, some Symbian device... as a ringtone, brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Good suggestions here lads. I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned Final Fantasy 7 yet.
    The battle win music would be good as message received.

P S I have an android phone, HTC One X.
    Very easy to set mp3s as ring tones

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

If you using Android, check out "AirDroid" great for transfering files between laptop and phone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Lotus II's theme has been my ringtone for the last year or so having swithced from Bubble bobble. Next time I hear a game ringtone on the dart I'm just going to presume they post on A&R!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

iPhone users, one word unlimtones
    all the ringtones you could ever need in a simple to use app

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

at the moment I've the Earthbound item noise as my text tone
    and my ringtone at the moment is this

but it used to be the Steel Samurai ringtone from Phoenix Wright but it wouldn't play all the same loudness so I'll go back to it later

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Currently have Big Blue as ringtone now and the Mario death bit as notification sound and its all thanks to the good helpful folks in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have the Zelda Open Chest sound as my message tone, Its very satisfying !
    Mail sound is now the mario coin tone, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

LoGiE wrote: »

Lotus II's theme has been my ringtone for the last year or so having swithced from Bubble bobble. Next time I hear a game ringtone on the dart I'm just going to presume they post on A&R!

Lotus 2. Awesome. Put many an hour away on the Amiga with that game.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I put the Konami boot up jingle as my ringtone back when this thread was posted. Puts a smile on my face every time a message comes in :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have The Plasmas' cover of the TMNT arcade theme as my ringtone, and Daniel Tidwell's version of the Green Hill Zone theme as my SMS tone.

Not as retro-credit-worthy as using the original versions, but the heavier bass makes it easier to hear in noisy places. Also less likely that someone else is using the same version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

I have the mario theme as my ringtone and the mushroom/fire sound as my sms tone. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

When your all playing games, do you have to keep checking your phones? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

EnterNow wrote: »
    When your all playing games, do you have to keep checking your phones? :D
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've a speccy game loading as my ringtone and ba-ding as my message tone

Relikk wrote: »
    There's another way of making iPhone ringtones, also. Maximum 30 second sound clip, convert to m4a then rename the m4a extension to m4r. Sync it to your phone.

That's how i made all my iphone tones. Am fecked if i'm paying for them.

Some of my fave ringtones:

Ryu's theme from street fighter alpha 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH6WgNe5HZ8

Grass Land theme from Super Mario 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI_mwl3QcYA

Fire field, the last level from the original F-Zero
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NWy7Tr48wI

World 1-1 from the original super mario bros on the nes, just because EVERYBODY starts bopping their head when they hear it :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PsC0zIhWNww#t=5s

Dark World theme from Zelda a link to the past
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sslj06K-Nlw#t=7s

Also, for a message tone, i like the decepticon's transform sound from the 80's cartoon (not the one from the sh1tty michael bay movies)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=povwJE0PwF0#t=3s

Master of the Universe

You can't just select an MP3 with an iphone and use it as your ringtone? Really?

Jesus, another reason to stay a mile away from Apple products.

o1s1n wrote: »
    You can't just select an MP3 with an iphone and use it as your ringtone? Really?

If it's jailbroken you can, it's a matter of placing it in the correct folder. If not then, converting to m4a/r is the universal way to do it, jailbroken or not jailbroken.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Relikk wrote: »
    If it's jailbroken you can, it's a matter of placing it in the correct folder. If not then, converting to m4a/r is the universal way to do it, jailbroken or not jailbroken.

Ah right, my complaint was more to do with Apple than the device itself. I'm sure once they're jailbroken they're great - but it really is taking the piss not allowing consumers to set their own ringtone on a factory default unit.

Feck sake, I could do that on all phones I've ever had which had the ability to play music - it reminds me of pointless DLC. 'Want something extra which the item SHOULD be able to do? well we want you to pay for it!'

Advertisement