Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Bus Network changes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

The location of the rail station in relation to the ida park is a ridiculous joke........ the rail line passes through one of the biggest emplyoment spots for many miles around and they didnt build a station there....... even though the ida wanted them to put a stop there.... they said they would do it soon... still waiting.

From the IDA to the current rail station is a good 25 minute walk if not more and the fecking line goes through the IDA park. :D

The monthly rail and bus midelton ticket is €40 more than the city and suburban ticket..... real scam i think and only druming themselves out of business. With regards to carrigtwohill anyway.
    Carigtwohill IDA is only just beyond little island really.

I'm fairly sure that the second station was supposed to be built by a developer or a company that then went bankrupt or something like that. Shows the dangers of relying on outside developers at times!

agreed on the ridiculousness of the prices though.

Read on the Irish transport forum that the combined Ballincollig/Carraigaline route will be numbered 217 and the new stops on the South Mall that were recently installed (where the 216 and 10a stops) will be used by this service.

no idea when it will start operation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Read on the Irish transport forum that the combined Ballincollig/Carraigaline route will be numbered 217 and the new stops on the South Mall that were recently installed (where the 216 and 10a stops) will be used by this service.

no idea when it will start operation though.

I wish they'd make an announcement about this. I'm potentially looking at losing or gaining out of this due to where I'm placed on Maryborough hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mark C

I think the information regarding buses in the city /county are rediculus . I can not find anywhere a route map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheMutations

A new expanded 221 bus service is to begin on the 23rd of February for the Glanmire, Riverstown and Tivoli areas. Buses will be every 30 mins Monday to Saturday and every hour on Sundays.

The new timetable is here. http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1392379680-221.pdf

This is a massive improvement on the very poor service it replaces. IMO this level of service should have been in place 20 years ago.

In addition the 245 will continue to service the area.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1392395031-245.pdf

Hopefully the high price of tickets on this route will be reduced, now that the 221 is a city service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

What makes you think it is becoming a city service?

All that has happened is that it is becoming like the other suburban services to Crosshaven or Haulbowline.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheMutations

lxflyer wrote: »
    What makes you think it is becoming a city service?

All that has happened is that it is becoming like the other suburban services to Crosshaven or Haulbowline.

Just the timetable. Similar to the changes made to the Blarney services once when the 215 was created.

Current Glanmire services are already considered outer suburban and have been for over 20 years.

The 215 continues to have suburban fares to/from Blarney.

Nothing is changing in terms of fares with the 221, just the timetable.

It will remain a suburban service rather than a city route for fares purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

294240.PNG

• Advertisement

As part of an ongoing review of public transport services in Cork City and County undertaken by the National Transport Authority, Bus Éireann will introduce a revised combined Route 220/220A: Ballincollig – City Centre – Carrigaline – Crosshaven – Fountainstown which will commence on Sunday, 31 August 2014.
    This revised bus timetable has been designed to combine the operations of the following routes:
    Route 222: Cork – Carrigaline – Crosshaven - Fountainstown
    Route 232: Ballincollig – Cork City
    Enhancements to the bus timetable include:
    Direct services from Ballincollig to Carrigaline via Cork City Centre
    Improved frequency of services – 30 min weekday service
    Earlier and later departures to/from Cork City
    Increased weekend frequency
    Standard routing for all services
    Increased level of service to Crosshaven and Fountainstown
    Direct linkages from Carragaline to CIT and UCC
    The change to Route 220/220A has been approved by the National Transport Authority and will come into effect on Sunday, 31 August 2014.
    Routes 222 & 232 will no longer operate from this date and are replaced by Route 220/220A.
    These changes will also affect Route 233: Macroom – Ballincollig - Cork
    Monday, 18th August, 2014

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1561&month=Aug

well, we finally change for the services in Ballincollig and Carraigaline, a year late. 30 minute frequency isn't enough in my view, but hoping that evening frequency improves a bit at least. 220 is a bit of a crap number as well. should have gone 217.

also, the 207a that goes down the Well road will be discontinued from Sept 1st

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1563&month=Aug

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Cybercommando

I was just checking the 209A that goes through Deerpark.

Either I'm retarded or Bus Eireann is retarded, but it seems there are only two buses per day. One at 9.40am going into town and the other at 12.10. Am I missing something?

buseireann.ie/pdf/1409242352-209.pdf

Surely they should have one before 9am so people going to work could use the service? It doesn't make any sense at all. They're losing out on loads of cash. Is there some reason for this? I mean what idiot chose 9.40am as a good time to start the service when everybody's in work?

And there's only one going back the way - at 11.50am. Why not have one going in the evening? What kind of monkey is making these time tables?!

It seems perfect for going in to sign on, then heading back home. Other than that it's feckin useless.

The 209a is one of the social services for OAPs in Cork - it and the 209 are there purely to allow people to get into town and back to avoid the hills.

There are all day services a relatively short walk away on the 214 to the west, and the 203 and 206 to the east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The one thing that really annoys me is that there isn't even a microsite on the Bus Éireann site for Cork City services.

There should be something like www.corkbus.ie with routes, fares, leap card info and schedules.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It doesn't need to necessarily be like that, but I agree for the bigger cities there should be micro sites or dedicated sections like the bigger operators in the UK such as Stagecoach, First etc do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The one thing that really annoys me is that there isn't even a microsite on the Bus Éireann site for Cork City services.

There should be something like www.corkbus.ie with routes, fares, leap card info and schedules.
    devnull wrote: »
    It doesn't need to necessarily be like that, but I agree for the bigger cities there should be micro sites or dedicated sections like the bigger operators in the UK such as Stagecoach, First etc do.

I'm fairly sure they had a network map for Cork before the recent changes and from their website it looks like it's on the way.

They do have a Galway network map and a specific part of the website (whilst not a real microsite) for Galway services.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360855228-Galway-City.pdf

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=248#Galway

I'm fairly sure they had a network map for Cork before the recent changes and from their website it looks like it's on the way.

They do have a Galway network map and a specific part of the website (whilst not a real microsite) for Galway services.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360855228-Galway-City.pdf

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=248#Galway

I think that there is a point there though - a small section outlining fares routes and times in the one place wouldn't go amiss for each city / town.

It's pretty important in this day and age as the first place anyone will go to look for Cork City bus services is Google.

If they're not all together in one place, that's both a loss of custom and failing as a public service provider.

I think that there is a point there though - a small section outlining fares routes and times in the one place wouldn't go amiss for each city / town.

Oh totally agree, just pointing out that there is some information there.

• Advertisement

Oh totally agree, just pointing out that there is some information there.

Maybe the NTA are planning something along those lines as part of the ever growing www.transportforireland.ie

We shall have to wait and see.

Maybe the NTA are planning something along those lines as part of the ever growing www.transportforireland.ie

We shall have to wait and see.

The NTA services are great, except that most people in say Cork City don't really want to know how to get a bus from UCC to Malin Head. They're more likely to want to know information about Cork City / Suburban services.

The NTA app should be able to set your current location so that it provides a Cork, Dublin, Galway, Limerick, Waterford etc localised service on the app and if you're in a major city with a lot of routes, it should be fully localised.

It's all fine and well trying to show of a theoretically integrated network but it's not much use unless you're going long distance.

Also, how many people in Cork would look up the NRA's site for local info or even assume it's in the app.

You'd be more likely to Google Cork Bus or something like that and find nothing useful other than PDF timetables on Buseireann.ie (if you could find them).

To be perfectly honest, lack of a proper site for Cork's transport services in 2014 is pretty inexcusable.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The NTA services are great, except that most people in say Cork City don't really want to know how to get a bus from UCC to Malin Head. They're more likely to want to know information about Cork City / Suburban services.

The NTA app should be able to set your current location so that it provides a Cork, Dublin, Galway, Limerick, Waterford etc localised service on the app and if you're in a major city with a lot of routes, it should be fully localised.

It's all fine and well trying to show of a theoretically integrated network but it's not much use unless you're going long distance.

Also, how many people in Cork would look up the NRA's site for local info or even assume it's in the app.

You'd be more likely to Google Cork Bus or something like that and find nothing useful other than PDF timetables on Buseireann.ie (if you could find them).

To be perfectly honest, lack of a proper site for Cork's transport services in 2014 is pretty inexcusable.

You're misinterpreting me.

As I see it, the NTA are in the long run taking over the provision of information to customers from the companies themselves, with the www.transportforireland.ie site becoming the main portal for that.

As part of that, I was suggesting sub-divisions of that site for all the various towns and cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PadelCreekMan

I think you might have missed a couple of features on the Transport For Ireland Journey Planner App, Space time.

On the Departures Tab it gives real time departures for the stops and stations NEAR you, even if you are on Cork.

On the Trips Tab it also can use your location to populate the "from" textbox.

So the Transport For Iteland App is an All Ireland App. It works locally in Cork and it also works if your making a trip to a suburb of Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Has anyone used the new 220 service? Does it pick up passengers at every stop on the way into the city from ballincollig unlike the previous 232 which was limited stop?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it still the same price to go from ballincollig into the city center?

No change in service type or fares.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well that's a joke tbh,shouldnt have to pay 6.80 or whatever it is to get into the city.

Well that's a joke tbh,shouldnt have to pay 6.80 or whatever it is to get into the city.

What price do you think would be fair? How much would a Taxi cost you?

• Advertisement

What price do you think would be fair? How much would a Taxi cost you?

About 15-20 euros, I think they should include Ballincollig as a city route and just have one way fair system like Bisopstown , it will never happen though.

Advertisement