Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford General Chat / Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

zerks wrote: »
    Just a word of warning regarding the weather over the next few days,heavy rain is forecast for the S.E tomorrow with a respite on Friday but the weekend is to see even more wet weather for the region.

BTW folks please turn on your lights while driving during the day,took a spin to Wexford this morning & it was nearly impossible to see some of the cars in the wet & gloom.

Could not have said it better myself, people all over the country driving in near dark conditions with fog and not a damn light in sight. Careless and extremely dangerous :mad:

Let keep the roads as safe as possilbe during the season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

zerks wrote: »
    Just a word of warning regarding the weather over the next few days,heavy rain is forecast for the S.E tomorrow with a respite on Friday but the weekend is to see even more wet weather for the region.

BTW folks please turn on your lights while driving during the day,took a spin to Wexford this morning & it was nearly impossible to see some of the cars in the wet & gloom.

+1. And anyone walking in the dark needs to wear some kind of reflective gear. The amount of people I come across who don't still amazes me. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

And I've met many drivers out the Rosslare- Wexford road at night without any lights, though I'm aware its very easy to drive under road/street lamps without realising you've no lights on. I've done it myself!

Still, be careful out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

Squiggle wrote: »
    +1. And anyone walking in the dark needs to wear some kind of reflective gear. The amount of people I come across who don't still amazes me. :confused:

I'd rather be mowed down by an artic vehicle before committing such a fashion faux pas dear sir!

* spins on heel *

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I'd rather be mowed down by an artic vehicle before committing such a fashion faux pas dear sir!

* spins on heel *

Ok, but nobody really looks well in a shroud, even if it is designed by Stella McCarthney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

WhalesOffHookHead_large.jpg

The first whales, of what has now become known as 'Whales Watching Season' on the Hook Peninsula in county Wexford, have been spotted.

The Irish Whale and Dolphin Group confirmed the sightings of two Humpback Whales, five Fin Whales and a 'Superpod' of Dolphins.

It is the third year in a row they have been seen off the Peninsula for a period of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Looks 'shopped'

oldyouth wrote: »
    Looks 'shopped'

EXACTLY what I thought.

Is it allthedoyles?

Its a true story :
    Irish Whale and Dolphin Group members were greeted with a stunning sunrise this morning as they boarded RV Celtic Mist in County Wexford.

Further out towards the horizon, large blows were sighted and the crew soon found fin whales feeding in the area, surrounded by diving gannets, seals and more common dolphins.
    All members were given the opportunity to photograph these amazing whales as they surfaced parallel to RV Celtic Mist.
    Two smaller blows were then spotted a little further out and on approach, minke whales were found, they circled RV Celtic Mist inquisitively for almost an hour

http://www.iwdg.ie/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2353

Wexford Youth Women sit proudly top of the Bus Eireann Women's National League after travelling to Tallaght IT and coming away with all three points

• Advertisement

Yeh but is the picture photoshopped? I believe the story just not the picture ;)

540764_463074857090325_2110157674_n.jpg

The photo was taken by Miley Carroll Aughrim , a renowned photographer .

These photos were taken off Hook Head on 9th January :

http://mileycarrollphotography.com/

Ah come on ATD? Is the picture photoshopped or not? Just want to know as it looks shopped - not doubting the photographers capabilty & ability.

It is genuine and here is the EXIF data proof :

Date Time Original - 2013:01:09 15:23:17
    Exposure Time - 1/3200
    F Number - f / 2.80
    Exposure Program - Aperture priority
    ISO Speed Ratings - 200
    Metering Mode - Pattern
    Flash - Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length - 300mm
    White Balance - Auto white balance
    Make - Canon
    Model - Canon EOS 7D
    LensInfo - 4
    LensModel - EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'm afraid EXIF data proves nothing about how original a photo is :(

I'm big into my photography, and I have to say the photo really does look manipulated to me. The lighting on the whale is totally inconsistent with the rest of the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

the light down at hook is rather interesting, I remember as a child that on some occasions it looked like the people at a certain distance were walking around on the magic door from bosco

Copyof100_2148_zps7b7dcc8b.jpg

Can someone tell me the story attached to this monument at the Hook Light-house ?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I'm afraid EXIF data proves nothing about how original a photo is :(

I'm big into my photography, and I have to say the photo really does look manipulated to me. The lighting on the whale is totally inconsistent with the rest of the scene.

Agreed. We can see the light on the side of the whale that makes it look like the light is coming from the north, yet the light on the hook lighthouse is coming from the south/south west direction.

Something fishy about it, get it ;)

THE new company that runs Glanbia's milk processing business is in talks with Wexford Creamery about extending business between the two sides.

Glanbia Ingredients Ireland (GII) and Wexford Milk Producers Limited, which controls Wexford Creamery, are in exclusive negotiations over widening the nature of their partnership.

Wexford and Glanbia have done business with each other for several years, involving milk supplies, cheese manufacturing and supplies of whey protein. Speculation was mounting last night, however, that these latest talks may result in Wexford investing in GII's planned milk processing facility in Belview Port in south Kilkenny.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Agreed. We can see the light on the side of the whale that makes it look like the light is coming from the north, yet the light on the hook lighthouse is coming from the south/south west direction.

Something fishy about it, get it ;)

If you were looking at the RTE News just a minute ago , you would have seen this footage of the whales off the Hook , and it looks to me , that the photo is not shopped , but may be a still from video footage .

Go to your RTE player ,, and you will see

If you were looking at the RTE News just a minute ago , you would have seen this footage of the whales off the Hook , and it looks to me , that the photo is not shopped , but may be a still from video footage

I don't think anyone ever doubted there are whales off the Hook Head... they've been showing up there quite a bit in recent years.

Looking at the RTE footage, I didn't see any possible scene that suggests that the photo posted could be real i.e. I didn't see video footage that matched the photo.

If I were to stab a guess at it then it might well be the case that whoever created that image wanted the best of both worlds, a whale breaking through the water with the Hook Lighthouse in the background.. so created a composite from two different photos.

Or maybe the photo is real... and the photographer did a really bad job dodging the highlights on the whale.

• Advertisement

greyhound.jpg

January and February are generally quiet months for greyhound racing in Wexford, but there was still cause for celebration recently as Ferns trainer Brendan Murphy and owner Carol O’Connor saw their greyhound Rockmount Eagle win the Dog of the Year title at Newbridge track for the second year in a row.

meadows.jpg

The good news for Wexford employment seekers keeps on coming.
    Up to 70 jobs are to be created when a new branch of homeware store Meadows & Byrne is to open just outside the town in a couple of months time.

The company, operated by Blarney Woollen Mills, has been granted planning permission for the 25,000 square feet premises in Drinagh Retail Park, and aims to open a homeware store complete with restaurant and garden centre over St. Patrick’s Day weekend. This follows the recent announcement that call centre firm Eishtec are moving to premises just a stones throw from the retail centre, which is creating up to 250 jobs for local people.

304210_590301267652925_1520258182_n.jpg

The snow is due to start falling in Co. Wexford tonight around 10pm , until 3am Monday morning .

It will be less than an inch though according to Met reports .

MullaneJohn_Yess.jpg

Recently retired Waterford hurler John Mullane will take up a coaching role with Wexford club Rapparees/Starlights, according to this morning’s Irish Independent.

Mullane, 32, who called time on a glittering inter-county career with the Déise two weeks ago, will help the club out this year in a coaching/advisory capacity.

Recently retired Waterford hurler John Mullane will take up a coaching role with Wexford club Rapparees/Starlights, according to this morning’s Irish Independent.

They had him up presenting medals at their dinner dance recently... they must have had him well píssed when he agreed to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭SportingFun

jpb1974 wrote: »
    They had him up presenting medals at their dinner dance recently... they must have had him well píssed when he agreed to this.

Must have done but be very interesting if true

730446738.jpg?key=679960&Expires=1360615484&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=MEKeYNQlUxuwEnTuR86Qs8LxGFg5HWDUaDAL1ifTnseslIARCKPVQ6950TqDy9oEAiQsRllTVYooQ56vHJGOSMJEqrb9AsGn1n1rtUa8s6~uPBUiFnbTUtMWCQsfK46FOt4d7o60vyCKtrSlEc7cpGdrkKcZAVEHJ22IyW3bhEE_

730446738.jpg?key=679960&Expires=1360615484&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=MEKeYNQlUxuwEnTuR86Qs8LxGFg5HWDUaDAL1ifTnseslIARCKPVQ6950TqDy9oEAiQsRllTVYooQ56vHJGOSMJEqrb9AsGn1n1rtUa8s6~uPBUiFnbTUtMWCQsfK46FOt4d7o60vyCKtrSlEc7cpGdrkKcZAVEHJ22IyW3bhEE_

Woof ?

Copyof100_2148_zps7b7dcc8b.jpg

Can someone tell me the story attached to this monument at the Hook Light-house ?

Ever find anymore on this?

• Advertisement

Nope , - had no luck on this one ..............I googled the inscription , and it seems to refer to something Marilyn Monroe said many moons ago .

Have no idea who Paul is ...........

Advertisement