Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Is it possible to buy one if i wasnt involved with kickstarter?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

You can buy one from their website. It's also available at B&M shops in the US, but not sure about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I'm not impressed with mine at all. Have sideloaded XBMC but while it can view my mysql XBMC library it can't actually view the windows shares which are hosted on the same PC as the mysql!

I've set it up to use an external hard drive and will be giving it to my parents. It should do the job for them but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Sideloaded Netflix is almost unusable as it's set for touch, not controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Native XBMC and Netflix is on the way. XBMC is MAYBE one or two months away. No word on Netflix other than OUYA claiming a few months ago that they were hoping it would be live for retail launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

A lot of people were expecting something else and were disappointed by it, so you can probably pick one up cheap on ebay or adverts.

EDIT: Or not, just had a look there. Not too many going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

amazon.co.uk have them from next week i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

McG wrote: »
    I'm not impressed with mine at all. Have sideloaded XBMC but while it can view my mysql XBMC library it can't actually view the windows shares which are hosted on the same PC as the mysql!

I've set it up to use an external hard drive and will be giving it to my parents. It should do the job for them but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Sideloaded Netflix is almost unusable as it's set for touch, not controller.

Have you tried this version http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=OUYA, it's meant to be best at the moment.

srumball wrote: »
    amazon.co.uk have them from next week i think!

Yep i saw that. Ill be ordering from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Yep i saw that. Ill be ordering from them.

and from the look of it you will have it before me as I still haven't received mine yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

RangeR wrote: »
    Side loaded Netflix, XBMC, Dropbox, MXPlayer [not working yet, prob missing codec].

The BIGGEST flaw that the OUYA has [other than enforcing CC input] is that when the controller turns off after 10 minutes, Video stops playing.

Here's me, watching Netflix. A bit of ST:V, enjoying a bit of Seven of Nine. 10 minutes in, bang. It pauses the video. I notice that the controller is off as it's not responding. I turn it on and press play again. 10 minutes later, same thing happens. 1 minute later, I pack it away.

I'll wait until OUYA is production ready. It's just not usable as a media device. Exceptionally disappointed with OUYA so far.

Try plugging a mouse in, should stop it snoozing.

• Advertisement

Try plugging a mouse in, should stop it snoozing.

I don't conceive that to be a fix :)

Anywho, XBMC works fine. I'll just use PS3 for Netflix until things settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Its only just launched the apps will get sorted for it! I think its a class little piece of kit, a lot of potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Mine arrived today - paid €17.49 customs charge made up of VAT@23% of a €49.97 value = €11.49 + An Post fee of €6.
    Copper coloured as kickstarter backing level with a bubble wrapped 2nd controller in the shipping package, a plug adapter and an extra pack of AA batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I got my kickstarter Ouya on Friday. Initial setup could have been smoother, but once I got the sideloading thing worked out with emulators and XBMC running it was already worth it. The games I've seen are a mixture of quirky, addictive, fun and terrible - as expected. Even the terrible ones can be fun and have a kernal of an interesting idea. I entered a credit card but haven't needed to pay for anything yet. Great to be able to try out the games beofre commiting.

I'm hopeful that properly ported apps and games will make an appearance, and that the community will make it an interesting console to own for a few years.

poldebruin wrote: »
    I'm hopeful that properly ported apps and games will make an appearance, and that the community will make it an interesting console to own for a few years.

Everything in the Discover section has been specifically developed or ported for the Ouya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Everything in the Discover section has been specifically developed or ported for the Ouya.

...sorry, yes, I meant when they are further or more abundant i.e. netflix or xbmc etc. The ones that are listed currently work fine with controller and require no sideloading shennanigans!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I played "the amazing frog" with a buddy the last day. It was so terrible it was amazing! I really recomend trying it out

I played "the amazing frog" with a buddy the last day. It was so terrible it was amazing! I really recomend trying it out

was there any controler lag with that game or have boxer8 fixed that problem?

Went to order from amazon today but their out of bloody stock!

I submitted my game "Soc-Car" for review yesterday, so hopefully it will get approved shortly!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I submitted my game "Soc-Car" for review yesterday, so hopefully it will get approved shortly!

Let us know if/when it's up, would love to give any game a go at this point. :P

• Advertisement

With high praise like that how could I refuse :pac:

The game is in the sandbox now. Its multi-player only (realistically) but its only 5mb and completely free, so if you have some buddies over please give it a go!

ReoQD1X.png

QwvFrF2.png

Would love to hear any feedback you have.

Strongly thinking about this for emulation purposes. Would be great to get rid of my big, noisy, old, ugy XBOX 1. I'd say 8 and 16 bit stuff runs fine on it....but does it have enough grunt for Dreamcast, PSX, N64 and even Gamecube (!)? Basically is it a step up from the XBOX and enough of an improvement that I won't mind losing support for XBOX1 games?

If you were a backer you can now get a $13.37 credit for the OUYA store if were unhappy with a delay in shipping or slow customer service response. Pretty decent of them in fairness.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    If you were a backer you can now get a $13.37 credit for the OUYA store if were unhappy with a delay in shipping or slow customer service response. Pretty decent of them in fairness.

OUYA have ****e store sales. This will get people used to purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Strongly thinking about this for emulation purposes. Would be great to get rid of my big, noisy, old, ugy XBOX 1. I'd say 8 and 16 bit stuff runs fine on it....but does it have enough grunt for Dreamcast, PSX, N64 and even Gamecube (!)? Basically is it a step up from the XBOX and enough of an improvement that I won't mind losing support for XBOX1 games?

I bought an Ouya and have been messing around with emulation on it.
    First off, you are right to assume that 8 bit and 16 bit work fine. They are perfectly emulated. However the Ouya will never be able to run Playstation 2, Xbox or GameCube. Doesnt have enough power.

As for other emulation here is a quick run down:

- Playstation 1 works fine. You have to side-load a better ps1 emulator. As the one you download in store is €3. It's also a bit of a pain to get the controls right.

- Nintendo 64, again you have to side load a better emulator than in-store. Works near 100%.

- There is no Dreamcast emulator in store and it's up in the air at the moment as to weather it will work on the Ouya decently. (I'm searching this up as I type this so i'll get back with more info)

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing the better PS1 emulator that needs to be sideloaded is epsxe? And for the N64 the better one is SuperN64?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing the better PS1 emulator that needs to be sideloaded is epsxe? And for the N64 the better one is SuperN64?

Yup, epsxe for the ps1 but I forget the name of the N64 one. It's not SuperN64. But am sure that would work just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Bought an ouya a few weeks back and my initial impressions are mixed.

Good

Emulation. Snes and mega drive emus seem good. N64 I'm having trouble understanding how the buttons will work on zelda oot.
    Nice enough wee box. Doesn't take much room about size of Rubik's cube.
    Controller not too bad IMO.
    Tune in radio works well. Like that I can keep this playing whilst playing games.

Bad

Ouya store and interface in general isn't the best.
    Controller trigger is squeaking.
    Xmbc is not running well on mine. Frodo 12.2
    Doesn't ask for password when buying games. Maybe I'm missing something but surely this needs sorted especially if you hv kids playing it.
    Ouya doesn't seem like a finished article most of the time. Maybe updates will sort lot of issues out.

Does anyone else have xmbc running well on ouya?

timthumbni wrote: »
    Bought an ouya a few weeks back and my initial impressions are mixed.

Good

Emulation. Snes and mega drive emus seem good. N64 I'm having trouble understanding how the buttons will work on zelda oot.
    Nice enough wee box. Doesn't take much room about size of Rubik's cube.
    Controller not too bad IMO.
    Tune in radio works well. Like that I can keep this playing whilst playing games.

Bad

Ouya store and interface in general isn't the best.
    Controller trigger is squeaking.
    Xmbc is not running well on mine. Frodo 12.2
    Doesn't ask for password when buying games. Maybe I'm missing something but surely this needs sorted especially if you hv kids playing it.
    Ouya doesn't seem like a finished article most of the time. Maybe updates will sort lot of issues out.

Does anyone else have xmbc running well on ouya?
    Xbmc running well. Regardless, it's not an official product for OUYA. Not fair to blame OUYA for xbmc not working well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Xbmc running well. Regardless, it's not an official product for OUYA. Not fair to blame OUYA for xbmc not working well.

Was I imagining it or was ouya not supposed to have an official app for xmbc?

Out of interest what version of xmbc are you using and is it wireless or Ethernet you use. I'm new to xmbc so I am probably doing something wrong myself.

Cheers.

Advertisement