Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v South Africa 2012

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Just read on cricinfo that South Africa haven't lost a series away from home since 2006:)

If only the home form was better. Moreso if the form in Durban was better. Usually the dominant performance in Newlands is cancelling out the collapse in Durban in what are short series.

Shame of a series in terms of length. It was originally down as four tests, cut to three. Same as the last England series in South Africa - it was down as five tests before the Port Elizabeth test was cut out. That was a cracking series too. They didn't play each other between from 2004 to 2008 either

And they don't play each other again until 2015.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ollie103

I think that SA were clearly the better team and Eng never really looked like being on top over 15 days of Test cricket for any considerable period of time. but if KP did play in this text, perhaps he would have made the difference in terms of Eng having a bigger 1st innings lead...? All academic now!

But it was a good end to a hard series where England's bowlers found out that they ain't as good as they thought they were, especially Anderson who failed to lead the attack (generally) in conditions which normally suit him.

I also think that Eng being #1 was overstated (in terms of ranking points) by their hammering of India last summer, in which India were well-past their best and a shadow of the batting force they used to be (apart from Dravid) accompanied by awful bowling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Reading between the lines in the Sky interview with Flower tonight, it would appear we have only got half the story on the KP affair.

http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/news/12173/8008026/KP-situation-sad-Flower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ollie103 wrote: »
    I think that SA were clearly the better team and Eng never really looked like being on top over 15 days of Test cricket for any considerable period of time. but if KP did play in this text, perhaps he would have made the difference in terms of Eng having a bigger 1st innings lead...? All academic now!

His stand in got 95, no reason to assume KP would have done any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

I loved 14 out 14 days of this 3 test series. The fisrt day was painful due to a very batting friendly pitch at Kia Oval. After that there was only one team in town.

It was great to put England in their place. The bestteam won by a country mile. We were the better batting, Bowling and Fielding team. The stats back this up.

I would like to have a better spin option that Tahir. He I think is not top notch. Can do a job when there are runs to play with. I would not toss the ball to him if it was a low scoring game.

looking forward to ODI's and T20's.

• Advertisement

Since 1991 ( re-admission) when have we had a decent spinner?

England must catch out an undercooked South Africa:D

Been pretty poor for spin in the series overall.

I think Harris inherently suits Smith to defend longer than he should. But Smith is learning to be more aggressive with Tahir. Botha has looked good in the ODI in the past few years, bar the bowling action problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

dfx- wrote: »
    England must catch out an undercooked South Africa:D

Been pretty poor for spin in the series overall.

I think Harris inherently suits Smith to defend longer than he should. But Smith is learning to be more aggressive with Tahir. Botha has looked good in the ODI in the past few years, bar the bowling action problem.

I watched Botha in the UAE series against Pakistan, easily the less threatening spinner on show. Smith even got him to bowl some fast stuff to see if that would make a difference or to amuse himself either way it didn't work! Botha seems to be on a diet of 20/20 cricket these days as well and is captaining a state side this year so I don't think test cricket is really something that is on his mind at the moment.

Don't have much of an opinion on Robin Peterson, good or bad tbh, even though I have watched him a lot.:P

On harris, his time has gone. That deciding test against India where he bowled 30 overs brutally exposed his limitations. I watched all of the final day and he never looked like making a breakthrough, India were content to block him out, and would have done so for another 30 overs if they needed to.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/463148.html

Tahir is your best for now sadly, he bowls way to many hit me balls but he does take wickets and he still hasn't been unleashed on a real turner.

Interesting to see how he does in the sub continent.

Anyways wicket keeping is Saffers main concern regarding their test side. Kuhn or Vilas deserve an opportunity as I can't see Ab doing will in the long term and it will only hurt his batting and Tsokole looks mediocre (stats wise at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

Le_Dieux wrote: »

Pat Symcox. What a legend. On a serious note. We have not had a serious spinner since re admission.

Need to do what England do go and scout the sub continent and get a few talented spinners and give them the coaching.

In the u19 world cup the spinner subrayan looked handy.Maybe he is the future

Pat Symcox. What a legend. On a serious note. We have not had a serious spinner since re admission.

Need to do what England do go and scout the sub continent and get a few talented spinners and give them the coaching.

Ja, what a legend Symo was. I remember He was batting in ( I think Pakistan) and the ball beat him and went between the 2 stumps, without dislodging the bales LOL, Symo was in knots Himself after that. Also glad You didn't mention Gogga:-)

Your comment on going to the sub-continent, isn't that how we got Tahir?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

What spinners have England scouted from the sub continent?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dooferoaks wrote: »
    What spinners have England scouted from the sub continent?
    I suspect he's thinking of Colin Cowdrey;)

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I watched Botha in the UAE series against Pakistan, easily the less threatening spinner on show. Smith even got him to bowl some fast stuff to see if that would make a difference or to amuse himself either way it didn't work! Botha seems to be on a diet of 20/20 cricket these days as well and is captaining a state side this year so I don't think test cricket is really something that is on his mind at the moment.

On harris, his time has gone. That deciding test against India where he bowled 30 overs brutally exposed his limitations. I watched all of the final day and he never looked like making a breakthrough, India were content to block him out, and would have done so for another 30 overs if they needed to.

In his defence in UAE, even Steyn looked average there too. He could've tried AB to bowl out there and see if he can add bowling to his resume of batting, fielding, captaincy and wicketkeeping. :pac:

I agree, he's not going to be a Test cricketer at this stage though.

In Harris' defence, Smith batted far too long in the 2nd innings in that test. Once Kallis got his runs and they reached a lead of 300, they should've declared. I think that is the substantial difference now, Smith is gambling more and with Tahir. At the Oval Test I was expecting him to let Kallis to dribble on to another 200 like his century in the India game instead of actively declaring like he did.

Bliksum, that was some knock by Amla today.

Surely top ranked batsman at the moment in any form of international cricket?

Ag, 3 wickets in 6 balls, including Morgan;-)

Reckon the Boks will be #1 in all formats tonight ^__^

:cool:

10 overs to spare and 80 runs

First side to be ranked #1 in all formats of the game at the same time:D

And STILL, the English harp on about 'what if' with KP. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

And STILL, the English harp on about 'what if' with KP. LOL

I gather your are a Saffer, and have all the baggage that comes with it regarding KP, but when the man scores 163 off 168 in a 4 day match today you can understand why England fans ask why is he not there.

And do stop calling them the Boks/Bokke. This is cricket, not rugby.

Big announcement tomorrow at Lords. Expected to be Strauss' retirement from test cricket. Right time to go in my opinion. His performance against SA wasn't good enough and his only centuries this year were against the Windies. Great captain to bring England to where they are but his performances have been sub-par for a while. Hopefully Cook can make his mark before the first of the (ridiculous) back to back Ashes series.

Sorry, but when I was growing up, the Boks were also the cricket team, and until political correctness/interference happened in the early 90's. they were still known as the Boks.

Regarding KP, I was going to ask, which You prefer? KP, or AS? Of course after yesterday, thats a non starter now. I can't see KP back ever again, Flower I am sure, will have a say in that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

There is a meeting planned between ECB and Pietersen, this Saturday. Messages supposedly sent by bbm so not possible to see how many he sent, or when. Looks like sadly there might be a way back into the team for him. Hope ECB have some backbone but doubt it.

Article here: http://t.co/faUr113v

dooferoaks wrote: »
    There is a meeting planned between ECB and Pietersen, this Saturday. Messages supposedly sent by bbm so not possible to see how many he sent, or when. Looks like sadly there might be a way back into the team for him. Hope ECB have some backbone but doubt it.

Article here: http://t.co/faUr113v

KP is trouble personified IMHO: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/581478.html?comments=all#comments

What a poes!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

actually with the fake twitter thing I really wouldn't be surprised, the guy is close friends with one england player and knows a few others quite well. I suspect he probably did know some things he shouldn't have

Advertisement