Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v South Africa 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Sounds like a freak injury. I don't think most keepers wear helmets against slow bowlers though, a lot of them don't even wear helmets against medium pacers.

Anyway here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Boucher quits after surgery on his eye......

One of the most likeable guys in world cricket:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

This is devastating news. Boucher is a gentleman and a great player. Hope his eye heals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Really sad news about Boucher getting hurt and retiring, I really hope his eye gets better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

AB will take the gloves I'd say. Not ideal preparation for a test series, but I'm sure it'll give them extra inspiration.

Weakens the batting middle order methinks. Rudolph straight into Steyn and then Morkel..

• Advertisement

India (last year in tests) and Australia (this year in ODI's) arrived in England ranked the best team in tests and ODI's respectively....both teams have been an insult to the no: 1 ranking.....Both thrashed 4-0 and sent packing

Hopefully this much awaited Eng v SA series is more competitive

Boucher's absence is a huge blow for SA particularly in the lower middle order

England for me to win it....just......weather permitting of course:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

booth70 wrote: »
    India (last year in tests) and Australia (this year in ODI's) arrived in England ranked the best team in tests and ODI's respectively....both teams have been an insult to the no: 1 ranking.....Both thrashed 4-0 and sent packing

Hopefully this much awaited Eng v SA series is more competitive

Boucher's absence is a huge blow for SA particularly in the lower middle order

England for me to win it....just......weather permitting of course:(

Deffo more competitive than India and Australia, indepth seasoned batmens all capable of making big scores even in tricky conditions, a team that prides itself on good fielding and a good bowling attack. If DeVilliers has a decent first test with the gloves and does the business with the bat their lower middle order might actually be stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

dfx- wrote: »
    AB will take the gloves I'd say.

Weakens the batting middle order methinks. Rudolph straight into Steyn and then Morkel..

It doesn't, Duminy will take his spot and he is a better batsman than Boucher.

Also Philander will bat before Steyn and Morkel.

Duminy will be a walking wicket as much as I am a fan of his..as I suspect Rudolph will be. It will sorely lack Boucher's experience to hold it together unless Smith or Kallis are at the other end.

Steyn is an ok batsman...as bowlers go..
    Deffo more competitive than India and Australia, indepth seasoned batmens all capable of making big scores even in tricky conditions, a team that prides itself on good fielding and a good bowling attack...

You also can't spell collapse without the letters SA. Some of the recent games in Durban (England and Australia and India) have been ridiculous - 6/3 territory. As well as the winning Third Test in 2008 in England...with Kallis not being able to see the ball being delivered by Flintoff outside the sightscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

...with Kallis not being able to see the ball being delivered by Flintoff outside the sightscreen.

I was at that game and it was bizarre! We hadn't a clue what was happening but Kallis looked like a frightened rabbit.

• Advertisement

Swore at the umpire too. It had that inevitable feeling to the game, but I think AB finally held out while Smith finished it off :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Duminy will be a walking wicket as much as I am a fan of his..as I suspect Rudolph will be. It will sorely lack Boucher's experience to hold it together unless Smith or Kallis are at the other end.

Steyn is an ok batsman...as bowlers go..

Boucher has failed quite a bit recently with the bat so I wouldn't have been to reliant on him for runs, Duminy is a classy player if admittingly a little dodgy when pressure is on. Not much difference between them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Im just looking forward to a good competitive test and series.

Not sure who im up for yet. Some of skys commentators have really put me off recently so depending on whose in the box i may be flip flopping quite a bit.

May be a rotten cliche but i just hope that the better team win over the course of the series. No moaning about decisions and conditions. Just hard, fair cricket please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Not a great start for England. Strauss out for a duck in the first over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 vutshuvo

south africa has rocking position

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

A kack day for us. Smith feckecd up with Steyn not openng bowling.
    If England build a big total. I would fancy Swan to take a few wickets.

Tahir is not an international spinner. He cannot block up an end, That was what was needed so 3 bowlers could have been rotated at other end.

They need wickets early tomorrow.

Tahir is not an international spinner. He cannot block up an end, That was what was needed so 3 bowlers could have been rotated at other end.

Yeah, not the day the Proteas would have hoped for. As you say, they need quick wickets in the morning to have a realistic chance of a result.

So much for everyone pushing the Steyn v. Anderson 'battle'. Steyn really didn't offer much today. As the track hasn't offered much to the pace bowlers so far SA must be worried that the turn it is showing will be exploited by Swann.

As things stand, you'd have to expect an England win (and SA to extend their run of never winning at the Oval).

Could be similar to 2003 though. A McKenzie/Smith special in that first test after a big opening deficit, albeit at Lords (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

Could be similar to 2003 though. A McKenzie/Smith special in that first test after a big opening deficit, albeit at Lords (I think)

They will need something special alright. Hopefully a good nights sleep will help them come in all guns blazing..

Well what a difference today. Humid, overcast and Steyn shows up to the party.

Bopara doing his best to get dropped, again.

England may rue not scoring quicker yesterday with the sun out on a flat pitch.

• Advertisement

England 120/7 to get 385 all out..

SA 27/1, but at least it's not Smith out.

Amla simply oozes class....must be the best no: 3 in the business today:)

SA 223/1......Big session coming up for England with the 2nd new ball

Pretty depressing to get Smith out only to have Kallis replace him. Doubly so when SA already have 270 on the board.

England need quick wickets.

Amla and Kallis:cool: Hopefully with AB to be let loose midway through tomorrow to get a big lead and four sessions to attack.

Great to see England's bowlers finally come up against batsmen both in form but also very happy to put up with the Strauss/Flower default setting of containment. Kallis will bat all test if Strauss and Smith let him.:pac:

Tough day no doubt for England. Tough day too trying to watch it. I only watched about half after having to switch over every so often to something with a little more life.

Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Right now this has draw written all over it unless the pitch starts to break up or SA start upping the r/r. If they keep going at the same rate they won't even reach 300 by the end of play tomorrow!

Let's just hope Headingley provides a pitch with a bit more life.

Here is probably the most entertaining moment from today:
    http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12602_7925351,00.html

In fact, who needs anyone else? 250 lead of 637/2d at tea:)

Been out all day so not seen any play today but I have to say that is a brave declaration. Pressure really on their bowlers now. Obviously getting Cook early was a bonus but they have to expect to bat again (he says in hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

most probably will be a draw (although the protea bowlers are doing an amazing job) ...well played Amla. 300+ while fasting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

most probably will be a draw (although the protea bowlers are doing an amazing job) ...well played Amla. 300+ while fasting?

Ain't no Mike Atherton out there batting to keep England in this Test.

Only one result as far as I can kyk....& it ain't the home side!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Read that Amla & Tahir don't fast on match days....some exemption!

Advertisement