Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kerry4sam & her first Cycling Training Log

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Throw us up a pic of you on your bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Registered this evening in Ballincollig!

I was ill before the Sean Kelly 100km but still managed to complete it. I was diagnosed with food-poisoning within days after that cycle :eek: which kept me off my bike for over a week. I've been smothered with a head-cold the last few days of this week so prep work for this has just been shockin' to day the least :(

I wonder though, do the serious, serious cyclists still get the buzz and kick that I got today when I arrived to register. Couldn't believe the pick-me-up I got from arriving and registering. Head-cold was nothing but a second thought. Great buzz but a little strange I must say to get a buzz from registering for a cycling event :o

The volunteers in Ballincollig this evening were lovely and bubbly so they were, in top-form! To the man who went straight to giving me a small jersey when I arrived to him, that was nice of you, but maybe next-year the small would be okay for me :D

I know I'll be okay through the Caha Pass on to the foot of the Healy Pass, but the Healy Pass will test everything I have in me, since I am not at full-health. I know it will and it will be a slight concern of mine.

Their won't be any clock-watching at this event for me since I am not at full-health. I am doing this for me. This commitment is for me. This challenge will be complete by me!

Thanks to my employers for giving me this day off work and so long as I am in uniform and able to work at 7am on Sunday morning, I don't give two hoots how long it takes me to complete this 85km. Truly don't! :)

I'm at the halfway mark and delighted with myself. Jeez the Caha Pass was something special. Exhilarating I must say! Proud of myself for even doing this much with a headcold.

377885_274543225990191_431320333_n.jpg

Not sure why but this meant more to me today than the Sean Kelly 100km in Waterford. It could be put down to everything I have gone through in the last 20days, maybe not. I was just delighted with myself today.

En route I had my usual self-doubt and concerns about not being able to complete it :o I finished my Rebel Rider 85km today at the 4hr mark proud, energetic, and confident about myself and what I can actually achieve once I put my mind to it. A mentor once asked me “why put off until tomorrow what you can do today” and tbh I don’t think Hugh realises how much of an impact those words have had on me. It turned my life around in ways I never imagined. Cannot thank him enough! Those words enter my mind every day and my life has changed for the better as they were said at a vital time in my life, when I needed to hear them the most.

Today was a good day for kerry4sam. The elements were challenging, the route was challenging, but everything felt manageable with the people around me today. The ES personnel and Volunteers were wonderful and they were everywhere. It seemed like their were more working today than in Waterford and it was reassuring I must say. Thanks so much to every single one of you! All of the cyclists were supportive and were just happy! It was nice being in their presence. The last 15km in Waterford took everything out of me, but today it was grand thanks to the kerryman I cycled the last 20km today with :)

A few things of note: The markings on the road warning about pot-holes ahead which were filled in v-recently, but some thoughtful person went and marked the road to warn all cyclists. Much appreciated. The volunteers with the flags and whistles were on top-form today, cheery and supportive! A shout-out to the one guy who told me “right over the bridge, left at An Sipin bar, and ENJOY what comes after!” – Your music was shocking, but you brought a smile to my face so Thank You.

I had so many doubts en route this sportive. If I had serious training done before-hand who knows what time I would have pulled in, but 4hrs was good for me. I was proud of that time considering how little training I had done before-hand, and looking back, their was no need for the self-doubt! :o

The Ring of Kerry 2013 is well on target now. I know it is in me. That challenge will be met and marked off my bucket-list! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Ah my question is answered (from thread title!). I won't question your sexuality again. This being such a male dominated forum I thought we might have a cross dresser in our midst:).

Congrats on the spin today. I can't imagine you'll have any problem with the ROK.

I'm just linking in the thread on the 'New route for Rebel Tour 2012' to keep with my postings ^^^ for momento to look back on once I complete my ROK 2013 :o

- Rebel Rider 85km

- Picture1
    - Picture2
    - Video1
    - Video2
    - Videos linked
    - AnPost Pictures
    - Video3

76811_433294230045485_1808594390_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

No photos of the bike? I am disappoint, all this talk about the Dawes and we still haven't got a look at the bike that has delighted you so much. Someday I hope...

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    No photos of the bike? I am disappoint, all this talk about the Dawes and we still haven't got a look at the bike that has delighted you so much. Someday I hope...
    worse still, updated sig has

And it's private!:eek::p

Thought their was gonna be a load of...I don't know what I thought:confused:, but Private!

I am disappoint!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

A true cyclist. Couldn't give a goaddamn whether you look like Bridgit Bardot or King Kong. It is all about the bike, whatever that bike may be. Chapeau!

• Advertisement

Well my next challenge is set! Loop Head cycle from Kilrush :)

I’ve done a 70km Ring of North Kerry; 100km Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford; 85km Rebel Rider tour in West Cork … next challenge will be the 90km Loop Head cycle in Clare. It would be nice to have spins around Limerick and Tipperary before this year is out, but Kerry, Waterford, Cork & Clare will be nice to have complete before end September considering I only purchased my lickle Dawes in July 2012 :o

At work last Sunday morning I was never so happy to be able to avail of a large leather seat for my shift. Man was I sore that morning but adrenalin was still pumping so I wasn’t actually tired. I went out for a spin Monday after un-expected change in plans left me with the day, so that was nice to stretch me auld legs.

I’m sure the Loop Head cycle in Clare will be a lovely Sunday spin. I’ve never even been for a drive around this route but I’ve heard charming stories and seen some really nice pictures from the area, not to mention my friends boasting about the area around the light-house where we will be having a break so I am looking forward to that.

Serious training will commence for this to start bringing my time down to a competitive level.

Looking forward to Sunday 30th September in Kilrush, Co. Clare now so I am and to completing my next challenge :)

I done a cycle today that when I first started out, took me weeks to complete. I cycled 45km today in 1 1/2hrs on a route that now, is like a stroll in the park for me, but when I started out was like aaargh!

When I started out I would cycle some, then turn and return. Gradually building distance each time and wondering will I ever reach the destination I reached today. Doing that same route today, as I said, with the training I have done to date and with the increase in my fitness levels, this route was grand :)

Looking back at what and where I have cycled since I purchased my lickle racer, I do need to remind myself that I have overcome a lot worse; I have cycled hills so much tougher and have cycled for longer distances and

tbh! I cannot put in to words how GREAT a feeling that actually is :o

Onwards and Upwards for kerry4sam!

West Clare CC – you guys are fantastic! Today was so well organised and a credit to your cycling club & the other cycling-clubs who participated today!

There were approx. 40-50pax cycling today and everyone I spoke & cycled with were just lovlely and down-to-earth. It was a small group and everyone helped each other.

I would like to give a few Shout-outs:
    ~ Thanks to West Clare CC, especially our leader for your guidance and route-breakdown. I’d never been in the area before but it was explained so clearly, it would have been v-hard to actually get lost! Thank You :)

~ James who accompanied me for the most part of today, but your company on the climbs up to the Loop Head Light-house was great! To the member of West Clare CC who cycled past informing us we were on the last climb – ha! I did need to hear those words, but cannot believe I actually believed you!

~ Michael & Kathleen who I cycled from Kilkee to Kilrush with: You two were just wonderful company on the home-straight. Cheers :)

~ Every person who I spoke & had a laugh with today – Thanks so much. I needed the enjoyment I had today out cycling. Every person there today were just so friendly and the camaraderie was evident from the get-go and carried on through to the very end. Today was a delightful days’ cycle.

I’ve some pix to attach to my log from today which will follow.
    Next up I will have to plan two 80-100km routes in both Tipperary & Limerick to complete before this year is out. It would be nice to conclude 2012 having done cycles in every county in Munster. That would be a nice finish to 2012 now for me before 2013 commences and I start upping my game to increase distances closer to the Ring of Kerry standard. My training is going well but my fitness is not yet up to ROK level. I will get there though!

When I think back to when I was driving to Tarbert this morning to catch the ferry over to Killimer and on to Kilrush then to commence the cycle and how tempted I was to actually turn around and hop in to bed – I am just so proud of myself that I drove on. I met some wonderful people today and cycled another 90km in a part of the country that Bord Fáilte could do more to promote imo. The promotion done to date on West Clare is not sufficient for the beauty I witnessed today. Stunning!
    Part of me kept driving when I remembered why I signed up and decided to do this 90km – to increase my physical fitness gradually and to be in a position to complete ROK 2013 and mark it off my bucket-list. Another reason was so I wouldn’t have to post back in the Wimp-List. Yes that too was motivation to brave the elements are drive on. It was miserable this morning with localised flooding all the way to Tarbert, but Clare never left me down!

Waiting at Tarbert:
    7D3EFD08B18C4C2180AC9C1E600E0A5D-0000359217-0003029985-00640L-DB5F887497254D799401428BABDAD269.jpg

64176F4EEF2E4C6BAB9E5C890D719BAA-0000359217-0003029989-00640L-02FC8B31523A4BA78C6FD57F4BD0CE5D.jpg

Loop Head Light-house:
    C1078A61DCCF40078D1FF3B54227828C-0000359217-0003029991-00640L-095DE24D4FA640D7B4FF934649B4F7A5.jpg

Toward & At Kilkee:
    A5B95EE9E8434611B79FABF948D7D9EE-0000359217-0003029992-00640L-96CF73CEF9B346A58A1E1FE58B03F9DD.jpg

E978354C17904402824DFBD46FF80A2F-0000359217-0003029993-00640L-C7B27B11CEF74BE7A37E907BFD1358BB.jpg

Homeward Bound:
    0FAE3D12BEDE4BAF8EB23605829A14CA-0000359217-0003029994-00640L-A7BAE580D76544208A6CB116069D6BC5.jpg

What age are ya Kerry?

What age are ya Kerry?

young at heart :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    young at heart :)
    :pac::p Fair enough.

I've created a route for myself on MapmyRide (here) that's coming in at 85.36km to cover my Tipperary route. I just need to finalise a date for myself for next-week or week after subject to work commitments :)

Thurles start & ending point -> N62 to Roscrea -> down on R445 & R499 past Toomevara -> back to Thurles via Borrisoleigh on R498.

This is just a personal challenge for myself to have cycled a route in all 6 counties in Munster before year out :o.

Once this route is complete by me I will plan a route for Limerick and see how I am set then to see if I'm near to ROK fitness to complete at least once before y/ending 2012. Optimistic I know and it's not yet set in stone. I'm just going to cycle my routes in Tipperary & Limerick first and see how I am set fitness-wise after them :)

Some day :)
    worse still, updated sig has

And it's private!:eek::p

Thought their was gonna be a load of...I don't know what I thought:confused:, but Private!

I am disappoint!

I was asked about this before & tbh their is nothing on there that not's already posted on boards or facebook by me. I only use that site to store my pix to upload easily online :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hi Kerry. The Tipperary route that you have chosen is very boring IMHO - I know those roads and have cycled them.

A stunning route that would help you cycle in Limerick & Tipperary would be a 100km loop around Lough Derg starting in Killaloe.

Alternatively
    Castleconnel OBriensBridge Killaloe/Ballina Shalee Silvermines Newport is a great route. If you can take a a detour to take in the Clare Glens it is fantastic.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hi Kerry. The Tipperary route that you have chosen is very boring IMHO - I know those roads and have cycled them.

A stunning route that would help you cycle in Limerick & Tipperary would be a 100km loop around Lough Derg starting in Killaloe.

Alternatively
    Castleconnel OBriensBridge Killaloe/Ballina Shalee Silvermines Newport is a great route. If you can take a a detour to take in the Clare Glens it is fantastic.

You've put me thinking now about that 100km Loop.

If I done that in 1day and stayed somewhere in that area and done my 85km ^^ the following morning, it would give me a great indication of how I'd be set to take on the 180km ROK in 1day then.
    I've some planning to do over the coming days to get this right. The lads in Clare were brilliant at outlining our route so we wouldn't get injured or lost, they pulled us all together and made sure we knew where we were going and what lay ahead at beginning and mid-way.

So this will be a nice new challenge for me :D Fun days planning ahead for me. Thanks ROK ON, appreciate that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@kerry4sam IMO the ROK is easier than doing 180km in two days because you don't have to get on your bike tired the day after a long cycle, it's all done in one go.

If you can do 100km in one cycle you can do the ROK.

I've decided that I won't be doing the above route ^^^. That to me, on reflection is an un-necessary short-cut.

The routes that will be done will be a separate route in Limerick and Tipperary. I've also created a lovely route that I'd like to have the legs for, around Lough Derg (here 128.5km) after I complete my personal challenge around Munster.

Tipperary is now different & is coming in here at 94.33km while Limerick here is 73.66km.

I just need to finalise two back-to-back dates now to complete these over the next week of two. It's to get the distance in the legs now.

This evening I cycled a 67km route in 2hr5mins. It was a route I'd be fairly familiar with which would have helped with my timing. I find myself getting stronger, fitter, more relaxed on my lickle racer and am enjoying cycling more so now than before. This evening I went out cycling in the pelting rain with a biting wind the entire time, but I put on a smile and just went with it.

I did attract more attention today. Not sure if that was due to the fact I was the only person out braving the elements, or the fact that my new clothes arrived and I wore them today and were a lickle eye-catching :o

- HH begonia coloured thermal tights with my black padded shorts over
    - my Polaris cosy fleecy black overshoes
    - HH begonia coloured l/s base-layer under my s/l jersey
    - Pearl Izumi pink gilet

I really only found a chill when I stopped at my destination before returning, otherwise delighted with thermal tights and base-layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Kerry, I live in the Lough Derg area and have done the loop around it a few times, it's quite challenging but also rewarding. I was trying to view your route to see which way you're doing it but apparently we need to be friends on mapmywhatever! Can you post it somehow so I can see it? Correct me if I'm wrong on this by the way.
    Slo
    PS Well done on the training...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

There are far too many of these ":D" and these ":)" in this thread. Kerry, you are obviously not cycling hard enough :mad:

Sort it out :pac:

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Kerry, I live in the Lough Derg area and have done the loop around it a few times, it's quite challenging but also rewarding. I was trying to view your route to see which way you're doing it but apparently we need to be friends on mapmywhatever! Can you post it somehow so I can see it? Correct me if I'm wrong on this by the way.
    Slo
    PS Well done on the training...

I've the routes set to 'friends' on mapmyride alright. You could message me on there or add me as a friend on there if you know me though no bother.

& Cheers for the Well Wishes. I appreciate that :)
    Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    There are far too many of these ":D" and these ":)" in this thread. Kerry, you are obviously not cycling hard enough :mad:

Sort it out :pac:

I know yea, less of the auld smilies from --> over yonder and more peddling. Okay, message received :pac:

Since I will be cycling my Tipperary & Limerick routes solo, I decided to raise some funds for charity.

@ You reading here who know me: I'm using the same mycharity linkie from my last sponsorship exercise. I'll be taking on more cycling challenges before Christmas so you can always wait for the next. This will be your heads' up :)

These 2 cycles will be totalling 169km cycled back-to-back this coming Tuesday 9th & Wednesday 10th October 2012 to complete my Personal Cycling Challenge around Munster. I will be posting details and pictures (& maybe videos) in my log here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Where is the link so we can donate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

kerry4sam wrote: »
    The routes that will be done will be a separate route in Limerick and Tipperary. I've also created a lovely route that I'd like to have the legs for, around Lough Derg (here 128.5km) after I complete my personal challenge around Munster.

Tipperary is now different & is coming in here at 94.33km while Limerick here is 73.66km.

Any chance you could make those routes publicy viewable? They're only showing up your member profile at the mo...

Boom! & Challenge Complete.

Details to follow of Limerick & Tipperary but routes of between 70 - 100km have been cycled by me now in all 6 Counties of Munster.

Personal Challenge Complete :D

• Advertisement

Where is the link so we can donate?

Hi there,

I won't be making my personal mycharity linkie available or everyone would know right-off who I am then, however,

If you or anyone else would like to donate to the charity that I am, then send me on a pm and I will send on all relevant details no bother :)

Those donations/sponsorships won't then be listed under my own name but that is okay as the monies will all going to the one place anyways ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement