Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who does the house work

Options
  • 08-07-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

hey girls and boys

i was just wondering who here does the house work in your home

do you do it your self or would you share the house work together

me personally i do it all by myself if my boyfriend does it i dont think he's done it right and isn't clean enough for me anyway lol

anyone else the same or is the work 50/50

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

In my parents' house, when I was growing up, my mum always did the majority of the housework, as my father often worked twelve-hour days as a self-employed engineer, while my mother was a primary teacher. Obviously she worked very hard, too, but she was the one who was around the house at the times when cooking/cleaning/childminding/laundry etc needed to be done.

My parents are still both relatively young, but he has taken early retirement due to illness. Therefore, seeing as he's at home now, he now does most of the above - as well as tending to the garden and doing all the taxiing for my younger siblings. My mother still takes care of the evening meal, and bakes homemade bread most days - just because it happens that she's home in time to do so.

Basically I was brought up in an environment where each parent does what they can do. Gender doesn't come into it at all.

I don't currently live with my boyfriend, but that's the attitude I'd take, too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have health issues so my husband does most of it - I married a good one there - he is also a wonderful father to our children.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

It's split 50:50 most of the time, unless one of us is under pressure with exams or somesuch. We decided at the start who would do what e.g. I don't mind doing laundry so I take care of that, but I hate cleaning the bathroom so he looks after that side of things.

I couldn't imagine us not sharing it, unless one person was working all hours when the other wasn't.

I grew up in a house where myself or my brothers would be told to do the dishes or hoovering, equal status. I lived with a guy who used to do most of the cleaning because he knew how awful I am at it. I was pretty good at cleaning with another ex who was a clean freak, he didn't nag but encouraged me. However my last boyfriend was totally under the impression that things cleaned themselves. I moved out of his place months before we broke up but he did expect me to clean the house when I came to stay for a few days. The odd time he'd make a half assed effort (mostly just watching me clean), I couldn't handle that and it's one of the reasons we broke up recently.

I share a flat with two guys, and none of us do a lot of cleaning, I know one of them barely notices, the other guy likes clean but refuses to fall into the role of head cleaner. If I see him getting too upset about the dirt, I will pull the finger out and give the kitchen or bathroom a scrub, or run the hoover round. I've always been a very, very messy person though.

Ideally cleaning should be equal, I would take control and direct him "don't wipe the floor and counter with the same cloth, stop mopping the floor with a dirty mop" etc. but I also need someone to help motivate me into doing some housework!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I don't live with my boyfriend but if we are in his house we will wash up and tidy up after ourselves and the same if we are in my house.

If we were living together, it'd be split 50/50, definitely.

• Advertisement

50/50 isn't always fair, though.

If one person was unemployed and the other wasn't, how on earth could a 50/50 split on housework possibly be fair?

If one person was ill and the other wasn't, a 50/50 split wouldn't be fair either.

In my opinion, it's a very simplistic view of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

im just like my dad to be honest my mam would clean even though she was a stay at home mom plus she got really ill

when my dad was at home he would still srub the house spotless even after finishing a 12 hour shift he would pull out the chairs fold and iron all of the clothes then go to every single bedroom and take sure there wasn't one spot of dirt on the floor

i do the same thing he does my boyfriend used to clean up after him self like the dishess and that but he wouldn't iron or swipe and mop the floor or make the bed right

he's given up now and just leaves me to it now :D other wise i would get really annoyed at him lol

clean freak i know thanks to daddy dearest lol

Has your dad ever been diagnosed with OCD or similar, or have you ever looked into it yourself?

If you are living with someone, then in my opinion it should be a partnership, where responsibilities are divided equally according to each persons skills, abilities, capabilities, health, and time available, amongst other possible variables.

It's not as easy as "Who does the house work" - it's not usually a male/female thing, in my opinion, there are so many other potential factors involved here.

i actually like cleaning though relaxes me and gives me something to do

im not one to just sit around and do nothing

my dad will just clean clean clean even if its not his own house he will go into anyone house and moan about it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

We are fairly much 50/50, I don't think I could have it any other way. We both work full time so I don't see why it would be otherwise. That said we have similar ideas of cleaness if houses where one person is much tidier I could see that it would be more up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

My bf and I have a pretty good divide going on. I would do the majority of the laundry / cleaning type jobs, for a few reasons. I'm a bit anal about putting things in the right place, and I work from home so it's easier for me to get the chores done during my day. But then my bf deals with other household stuff that I hate, like dealing with the landlord, fixing things, replacing bulbs, making dinner when I'm working, etc. He also does all the hoovering because I absolutely despise doing it. Works for us anyway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

We have a cleaner who comes in to do the big jobs and then we divide the rest and keep the place ticking over. We have very busy lives so its worth it to us to buy us 'down time'..

Ellsbells wrote: »
    We have a cleaner who comes in to do the big jobs and then we divide the rest and keep the place ticking over. We have very busy lives so its worth it to us to buy us 'down time'..

i couldn't have a cleaner to be honest well actually i dont like anyone that would be in our personal belongings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

nadey wrote: »
    i couldn't have a cleaner to be honest well actually i dont like anyone that would be in our personal belongings

I find it great... She would be bored looking through our stuff. Not much to find :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

This post has been deleted.

I'm sure he'd only love to read that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'm sure he'd only love to read that!

If you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion, kindly refrain from posting.

And please acquaint yourself with the charter and ethos of this forum before posting again.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We have a cleaner because I got sick and tired of having to remind (nag:roll eyes:) my husband to do the jobs he promised to do. It's the best money we spend each week. As I'm home on maternity leave I do a lot of the tidying and general day to day cleaning, but otherwise we'd each do a fair share around the home now the heavier cleaning isn't an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

I once asked my boyfriend to put something into the washing machine.

He put in it in the dryer.

'Nuff said.

I think he does it on purpose.

I am totally jealous of the fair trade houses where the cleaning is a joint operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Mostly me,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I'm living at home so its just me and mum, we have our own little agrement, i keep my room tidy and cook the dinner do all the baking and sort the dog out and she does the hoovering and the ironing, i hate ironing, she hates cooking so it works out grand for us

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I cook, he does the floors, general cleaning and bins.
    Both do the laundry, though we use an ironing service once about every two months, and we are getting a cleaner as we feel it's worth it, we've decided to divert money we would use going out for a cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I do most of it (I'm unemployed/on maternity leave so it's only fair) including all the cooking and washing up. The only thing I leave for him is cleaning hte bathroom. I hate doing it, and he does think I do it right, so he is reasonably happy to do it. I don't expect him to do much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Basically I was brought up in an environment where each parent does what they can do. Gender doesn't come into it at all.

Completely agree with this statement.

Myself and my partner do what we can. We help each other out. There is never an issue of "I cooked that meal so you have to do the washing up".

Some jobs I dislike, and others he dislikes. Some things I love and others he doesnt. We don't need to ask the other to do the things we dislike, we just automatically try to accodomdate the other person as much as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

evilmonkee wrote: »
    Completely agree with this statement.

Myself and my partner do what we can. We help each other out. There is never an issue of "I cooked that meal so you have to do the washing up".

Some jobs I dislike, and others he dislikes. Some things I love and others he doesnt. We don't need to ask the other to do the things we dislike, we just automatically try to accodomdate the other person as much as possible.

Same as us we don't really discuss who's turn it is to do what, we both know what needs to be done and we both get on with it and do it.

I always find it very odd if couples are constantly arguing about cleaning.
    it's where you live and you moan about keeping it clean? it's something you're going to have to do almost every day of your life. pretty long argument to be having.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Same as.

Our house is never clean (with 2 young kids, 3 *big* dogs & a muddy site that we're trying to rope into a smallholding clean is a dream). But it is generally tidy. Both hubby & I pitch in & do whatever we can, whenever we can. Neither of us is perfect - and the laundry can sit on the chair unfolded for a couple days out of sheer laziness - but we support each other and do what we can. Sometimes I do laundry, sometimes he does (and sometimes no one does :D). Same for cooking, and cleaning bathroom, and ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

In house work I include the cooking too. We can both cook well but my bf prefers to make big dinners like roasts and stews, that sort of thing, so he normally cooks 2-3 times a week and I cook on the other days. As for housework we split it between us but that doesn't necessarily mean it's 50/50. If I'm cooking, he'll take care of the dishwasher and sweep the floor, those small jobs. If he's cooking I'll do the same.

When it comes to washing the floors or cleaning the bathroom, we take that in turns.

The only thing that is separate is our washing, we both look after our own clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

In house work I include the cooking too. We can both cook well but my bf prefers to make big dinners like roasts and stews, that sort of thing, so he normally cooks 2-3 times a week and I cook on the other days. As for housework we split it between us but that doesn't necessarily mean it's 50/50. If I'm cooking, he'll take care of the dishwasher and sweep the floor, those small jobs. If he's cooking I'll do the same.

When it comes to washing the floors or cleaning the bathroom, we take that in turns.

The only thing that is separate is our washing, we both look after our own clothes.

:eek: Interesting! There's a paradigm shift :p In that case I do a LOT more housework than I thought :pac: I cook pretty much all the time. But I love it, so never think of it as a chore.

Apart from that we just do what we feels needs to be done. I never seem to clean the cooker. He does that. And I don't think he's ever ironed, but I like doing that.

We split the rest fairly evenly. In over 6 years of living together we have never discussed housework or argued over it. It just gets done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Its split between me, him and my daughter but I do most of it as I'm home the most. I don't mind, I find housework can sometimes be very soothing. There are no jobs that are mine or his, as others have said what needs doing gets done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭puffin24

Hmm, I do most of the cleaning, my boyfriend isnt the (to quote Fr Ted) "lets clean this mother!" type. I do the laundry, almost all of the cooking and once a week we will do a big clean of the flat together (through my "suggesting" it) I dont really mind as he works 12 hours shifts 3 days a week and on his first day off likes to just lounge. I am a student so Im home most days out of the week and would go mad if i had nothing to do! Though what does annoy me is when I ask him to take out the bins, it will take him 3 days to do it. And surprisingly when it come to his day to cook, it happens to be the day he wants to go out for dinner or order in. Brat! :)

Advertisement