Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A dublin orange parade?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

junder wrote: »
    I have never supported the murder of innocent civilians regardless of what community they come from
    As is the case with these things its necessary to define "innocent"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

I disagree. You might get some Unionists who'd leave but I'd say they'd be few and far between. Home is home and Unionists have as much right to live on this island as anyone else regardless of who's administering it.

Paradoxically Unionists would make up a considerable voting block in the event of a UI and could make a powerful coalition party; they could campaign for a UI to rejoin the Commonwealth among other things.

I can't even begin to imagine some of the strange coalitions that would come about in the event of a UI.

Hi

Joining the common wealth is illegal under the Irish constitution.

It can't happen not without a referendum and i don't know how familiar you are with Irish demographics but the pop of the rep of Ireland is about 5 million the population of the north is about 1.5 million at least45% of that are Irish republicans.

It is not even about the Uk people in the South are not monarchists of any type.

The north is 30% ofthe population on the Island the Unionists represent about 15% of that.

And there really is no way the south would ever pass a referendum amending the constitution....it is at the very foundation of the state..the people as sovreign.

If Ireland united Sinn Féin technically the biggest party on the Island.

Who would form with Unionists on a unionist platform?

All Irish parties have an obligation to the Irish constitution.

Perhaps on other political issues they could form a coalition...

But it would more than likely kill any Irish party .

If itwere to happen....they of course have the right to stay..and with their own identity.

But it has been said NI is a viable entity...and until the people of NI decide otherwise thats the way it stays

junder wrote: »
    Semantics aside, really want is the problem with a small local Irish orange lodge parading in thier own local city
    Because the OO is a nasty organization, and people like wee Willie will try to stir things up... Its the OOs own fault, everyone pictures the bigots trying to march down gervaghy road, the OO are the personification for Irish people of the sectarian injustice we have suffered over the years in the Orange State. Of course they are not liked. With good reason.

IIRC you are from Belfast, you know yourself the nasty side I'm referring to... bands (not necessarily the OO but its the same vein of bigotry) have a nasty habit of stopping and having a nice sing song outside churches.. (Saint Matthews)

Would you like a republican colour parade going down your street?

As is the case with these things its necessary to define "innocent"

Hey stop this...lets take a breather..lets all say sorry..and breathe

How about we all condemn all violence.:) Irish and northern Irish are better than that aren't we?

And can we get back on topic ???

Parades.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Hi

It can't happen not without a referendum and i don't know how familiar you are with Irish demographics but the pop of the rep of Ireland is about 5 million the population of the north is about 1.5 million at least45% of that are Irish republicans.

Really! To say 45% are Irish Republicans is so far out i'm looking on the horizon. 45% of the voters would not even vote to leave the U.K. You know it, so why do you post this rubbish? Catholic=Nationlists/Republican. No it dosen't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Republicans will be out in force to make sure it never happens and those who promote it are chased back down the holes they come from.

'Unionism/Loyalism' is nothing a but an umbrella for hateful religious fanatics who stupidily equate Protestantism with Britishness which makes no sense.

The Orange Order is an Irish version of the KKK and should not be tolerated anywhere on these shores no matter how much 'normalisation" is pushed down our throats

British occupation is fundementally wrong and so are those who facilitate it

No Orange marches in Dublin or Belfast or Donegal or anywhere

Brits out Now

which brits are they......????

Republicans will be out in force to make sure it never happens and those who promote it are chased back down the holes they come from.

'Unionism/Loyalism' is nothing a but an umbrella for hateful religious fanatics who stupidily equate Protestantism with Britishness which makes no sense.

The Orange Order is an Irish version of the KKK and should not be tolerated anywhere on these shores no matter how much 'normalisation" is pushed down our throats

Brits out Now

Possible canadate for the most bigoted rant yet?

Hey stop this...lets take a breather..lets all say sorry..and breathe

How about we all condemn all violence.:) Irish and northern Irish are better than that aren't we?

And can we get back on topic ???

Parades.
    You wont find a loyalist whop says its ok to murder innocent civilians, as they wont think that the civilians were innocent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

getzls wrote: »

Really! To say 45% are Irish Republicans is so far out i'm looking on the horizon. 45% of the voters would not even vote to leave the U.K. You know it, so why do you post this rubbish? Catholic=Nationlists/Republican. No it dosen't.

The British nor the Unionists never understood the Irish. The Hunger Srikes serve as a good example here. The Irish are republican at heart, it's just that all of them don't allow the IRA or even SF to speak for them. But events like Bloody Sunday and the deaths of the hunger strikers so riled the republican sensibilities that huge numbers reacted to those events, on the streets of the Republic and they made their voices heard. It's why Fianna Fail and Fine Gael will never move away from the republican rethoric even though they did the work of the British over the years. It would be a huge vote loser for them.
    It will be the anger of that brand of republicanism that the OO will be taping into if they attempt a march in Dublin or if anybody proposed that we go back into the commonwealth.

Hi

Ok but they vote Sinn Féin right???..

I did not say they would vote either way...

And generally that is what all Catholics in the north say. That they are Irish nationalists. Some posters from the north have confirmed that this actually is the sentiment amongst them and most would vote to leave. So i believe most catholics would vote to leave but who knows. I think you are wrong. But If i am wrong no harm, why worry about it?

You will have to forgive me i am from the south.

And there is no need for the agression.

I never suggested i thought there would be a united Ireland. It is up to the people in NI.

Just that the republic of Ireland cannot join the common wealth for constitutional reasons.

• Advertisement

Well Happy. I'm Irish, Northern Irish, British, Unionist. What do i not understand?

Brits out Now

NOT OK

This is ssoooo bigoted.... i hope the mods repremand this...

Well Happy. I'm Irish, Northern Irish, British, Unionist. What do i not understand?

You tell me what happened in the aftermath of Bloody Sunday and when the Hunger Strikers began to die, from your multicultural understanding then?

NOT OK

This is ssoooo bigoted.... i hope the mods repremand this...
    "Brits out" means Brit govt + Soldiers... just in case you didnt know

You are a paradox :p They can't understand you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Hi

Howya. No, I wasn't aware of it tbh.
    The north is 30% ofthe population on the Island the Unionists represent about 15% of that.

Yep.
    And there really is no way the south would ever pass a referendum amending the constitution....it is at the very foundation of the state..the people as sovreign.

I'm not sure if sovereignty would be compromised by joining the commonwealth. Can a country not remain a republic in the commonwealth?
    Who would form with Unionists on a unionist platform?

On a unification with Britain platform? None.
    As partners in an UI government? Take your pick.
    If itwere to happen....they of course have the right to stay..and with their own identity.

Oh for sure, goes without saying.
    But it has been said NI is a viable entity...and until the people of NI decide otherwise thats the way it stays

It's only a viable economic entity because the UK underwrites it. I've said it before that I believe there will be no unification without a considerable economic dividend for NI. In the current climate that is some time off imo.

what about the british people that live there....are they next..????

you say in case i didn't know......well i don't know, not until it is made clear....

The British soldiers for the most part are bravely protecting both communities.

Except for hugely some tragic events in which some failed to do this.

For this their needs to be lawful action.

But for the most part they have done a good job.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You tell me what happened in the aftermath of Bloody Sunday and when the Hunger Strikers began to die, from your multicultural understanding then?

By that question i think you maybe need to tell me what i think about it!

The British soldiers for the most part are bravely protecting both communities.

Are? :confused: They're back? :D

• Advertisement

Howya. No, I wasn't aware of it tbh.

Yep.

I'm not sure if sovereignty would be compromised by joining the commonwealth. Can a country not remain a republic in the commonwealth?

On a unification with Britain platform? None.
    As partners in an UI government? Take your pick.

Oh for sure, goes without saying.

It's only a viable economic entity because the UK underwrites it. I've said it before that I believe there will be no unification without a considerable economic dividend for NI. In the current climate that is some time off imo.

We cannot have a monarch....it is the basis of republicanism...which is the basis of our constitution...we the people are sovreign...

The queen is the monarch of the entire commonwealth..it is unconstitutional...in many parts of the constitution too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Brits out Now

Banned for a week. Next example of this rubbish earns a permaban. The rest of the trench warriors - put down the handbags and take a deep breath.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

"brits out"............."no surrender".............that is not the basis for a united ireland....they are the slogans of warring parties.....the basis for mistrust......

They never left, just went out of sight

By that question i think you maybe need to tell me what i think about it!

I'm interested, what did you people see happening on the streets of the Republic in the aftermath, it's my contention that there is a fundamental lack of understanding in Unionism of what republicanism means to an Irishman/woman, the same lack that has allowed them to request an OO parade in Dublin.

They have permanent garrisons there ..operation Banner was replaced with operation Helvetic..it's about 3000 troops i think

They never left completely as i understand it...just that operation Banner went to operation Helvetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Hi

Could you show me where in the constitution this is mentioned. I searched it for commonwealth (no results) and treaty (all results are about the EU - free movement of people of goods and citizens etc).

They have permanent garrisons there ..operation Banner was replaced with operation Helvetic..it's about 3000 troops i think

They never left completely as i understand it...just that operation Banner went to operation Helvetic

They've been recalled to barracks, they aren't protecting anybody at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Rascasse wrote: »
    Could you show me where in the constitution this is mentioned. I searched it for commonwealth (no results) and treaty (all results are about the EU - free movement of people of goods and citizens etc).

Please ignore, I see now others have called you out on this point. I've nothing to add.

• Advertisement

did we not have a good friday agreement.........the basis of a non violent future....

surely nobody want to go back to the troubles of the past.....but i am not so sure......and by people that will be safe in their beds.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement