Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GTI MK5

Options
2»

Comments

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    ...... i am considering a 2005/6 BMW 520d

what sort of money would you expect to pick up an O6 for?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

maracas wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/GOLF-2.0/201218208042030/advert?channel=CARS

What would you offer on this without running the risk of been thrown out of the garage.

Id walk in with 1k in cash. Offer 9k for the car and make sure they see the 1k cash deposit. tell them your ready to sign now and will be back tomorrow with a draft for the balance..

whats the worse they can say..................no, then just up it a bit until you both agree. assuming you like the car of course after inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

kceire wrote: »
    Id walk in with 1k in cash. Offer 9k for the car and make sure they see the 1k cash deposit. tell them your ready to sign now and will be back tomorrow with a draft for the balance..

whats the worse they can say..................no, then just up it a bit until you both agree. assuming you like the car of course after inspection.

That's a good tactic alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What kind of margin do you think they have on that car? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

RoverJames wrote: »
    what sort of money would you expect to pick up an O6 for?

Have €7,700 to play with, so mainly 05 territory

• Advertisement

They would still make a profit, anyone expecting €12,000 for a 2006 golf wants their head checked tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    They would still make a profit, anyone expecting €12,000 for a 2006 golf wants their head checked tbh.

To be honest when you think that a good spec 2006 GTI could of been 45k new. 12k isn't a bad price.

Look at the price of BMW 3 series of the same year. Poor spec 320ds, 318,320 are looking crazy money.

12k isn't bad for a good spec gti.....

logie101 wrote: »
    To be honest when you think that a good spec 2006 GTI could of been 45k new. 12k isn't a bad price.

Look at the price of BMW 3 series of the same year. Poor spec 320ds, 318,320 are looking crazy money.

12k isn't bad for a good spec gti.....

Ofc it's a bad price, 2 Litre Turbo petrol which means limited market and badly looked after ones are trouble, regardless i would go full retard and get a 07 ST for 4 grand less

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Based on previous experience and ongoing experience with the dealer, i'd imagine they paid 8k for that car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

gpf101 wrote: »
    Things to look for are:

Diverter valve - €150
    Pcv valve €80
    Fuel pump cam follower €50
    Aircon compressor €1k
    Intake manifold flapper motor. €400

Especially in 05/06 AXX engine codes. I had to replace 4/5 of above on mine. Prices are very very rough guides.

1 grand for a compressor..:rolleyes:

get one on parts gate way for a fraction of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I didn't pay €1k i paid about €400 because VW contributed some goodwill. As far as I remember it was around €1k for an exchange VW one with the flush and regas. Ya wouldn't have gone that route if I didn't get goodwill. Bit of labour in fitting and flushing system etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭maracas

So went in and took it for a test seems straight car.Little knocking noise when going over speed bumps probably bushings or something.
    So tried to deal ready to drop a deposit and start at round 8.5 up to 9k
    He said they never sell there cars for less than 3 or 4 % of marked price.

So basically was knocking 450 of the price and said not to even ring him unless its near that mark.

450 isnt much discount now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So went in and took it for a test seems straight car.Little knocking noise when going over speed bumps probably bushings or something.

So basically was knocking 450 of the price and said not to even ring him unless its near that mark.

If that car was in perfect condition etc then I'd probably go for it.
    I'd be getting them to fix that knocking noise etc before buying it though

My one doesn't have leather, DSG or climate control but 11500 is still considerably more than I paid for my one privately. Same year and mine actually had slightly lower kms, though 81k kms is nothing either. Personally I think its too much even with the extras.

Also is the timing belt done? It should be done on years by now rather than kms, if its not and you decide to buy it I'd be looking for it to be done before touching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How is it priced against similar models? If it is still above what others are priced at then I would sit, wait and watch it. I cannot imagine there is huge demand for these cars in the current climate

Your original budget was 7.5 to 8 grand and now you are considering spending 11.5 on a car that will be 7 years old in afew months.

I almost got sucked into doing this but common sense kicked in, have a good think about it first tbh

Gah double post, net sucks tonight :(

Doublepost. Gah my net sucks tonight :(

Advertisement