Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GTI MK5

Options
  • 04-07-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Alright lads,

Im currently looking to get a Golf GTI MK5.I hoping to pick one up for around 7500 to 8000 mark.
    I would ideally want one with both DSG and Leather interior in either black or grey.

Do you guys reckon that this is possible and would i only be able to get an 05 or possible to get an 06 for this money.

Regards.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Im am/was exactly in your situation afew months ago when i started saving.

What you will find is there is nothing but 05's at that price or poverty spec badly minded 06's

Great car as i test drove 1-2 but Leaning towards a Ford Focus ST now, the tax is scaring me off them nmow though and to my shame i am considering a 2005/6 BMW 520d

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I gave up trying to get a golf for £4000. All there were was '05s with 130k+ miles from private sales.

There are so many Ford Focus' in this bracket so looking at a 1.6 2007 focus now.

GTI's are even worse and amplify it pricewise tbh, i know a fella selling an insane 05 Golf but he wants €8k and i cannot justify paying that.

As Shadowhearth said it's a case of lots of 05's between 5-8k and then 10k+ for a decent 06/07 is a really nice 06 GTI on donedeal seller won't budge on €8995 though so it's just over a grand outside my budget

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

A mate of mine just picked one up a few weeks ago, 05 air con, leather 90,000 miles €6,600 from a garage..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

bryaner wrote: »
    A mate of mine just picked one up a few weeks ago, 05 air con, leather 90,000 miles €6,600 from a garage..

A GTI??

With turbocharged engines and especially with the DSG box, they are not the sort of car that you try to buy the cheapest one just because it scrapes into your budget. Most of the cheapest ones are cheap for a reason IMO.

• Advertisement

Carbon buildup keeps me awake at night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

There are some very rough GTi's out there in dealer forecourts. Many of them have been sitting idle for a long time and look like they were in poor condition when they arrived. Definitely need to be careful about buying a lemon alright.

A GTI??

With turbocharged engines and especially with the DSG box, they are not the sort of car that you try to buy the cheapest one just because it scrapes into your budget. Most of the cheapest ones are cheap for a reason IMO.

Manual box (forgot to add)full vw service history, full timing belt kit done including pump, not worried about turbo with the fsh. Pure genuine motor.

Wtf do you know about his budget, he didn't have a budget..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Manual box (forgot to add)full vw service history, full timing belt kit done including pump, not worried about turbo with the fsh. Pure genuine motor.

Lucky guy.....if I was in his position and didn't have a budget, i'd be buying a R35 GTR :p

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭maracas

All valid points.,espically buying a cheap one that just barely fits the budget.The price varies quiet alot which makes me think its the difference between a genuine motor that is well look after and one that is probably on its last legs.
    I really would like to go for a DSG with leather and no the bog standard spec.
    I also look and the focus but the tax is a turn of which i think is reflected in the selling price people are asking for.
    Miht have to hold of till next year hopefully yhe prices will come down a little more.

I might try Vagdrivers,i reckon a enthusiast site is always a good place to look for a car as they are always well looked after.

• Advertisement

Also what should i look out for when i go looking at one?

BDJW wrote: »

Lucky guy.....if I was in his position and didn't have a budget, i'd be buying a R35 GTR :p

Aye just not the best for shoving the kids into, when I said he didn't have a budget I should have said €6600 wasn't near his max spend if he wanted..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I gave up trying to get a golf for £4000. All there were was '05s with 130k+ miles from private sales.

There are so many Ford Focus' in this bracket so looking at a 1.6 2007 focus now.

World of difference between what you were looking for a and what the OP is looking for, so that would explain your woes.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/GOLF-2.0/201227208947621/advert?channel=CARS

No leather seems clean whats your thoughts.I know it has no leather though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

maracas wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/GOLF-2.0/201227208947621/advert?channel=CARS

No leather seems clean whats your thoughts.I know it has no leather though

It is marked as a private sale.....the pictures look like it is inside a dealers showroom though (I could be wrong). It doesn't have leather, but if I was in your position, that wouldn't bother me. I really like the tartan seats, and think pictures do them no justice at all. There are 3 things that would put me off though, there is no air con and also no multi function steering wheel, and the wheels are badly kerbed and need to be sorted out

OSI wrote: »
    Also has no A/C or Heat seats which I haven't seen a GTI without, which is odd.

It was a choice between sunroof or A/C certainly on earlier GTI's anyway and I don't remember coming across any with heated seats.

I picked up an 06 one myself just before Christmas for a little over your budget maracas, car was in superb condition with only 71k kms. Now I wasn't too bothered about spec, I was buying for the fun and comfort of driving it. I wanted the cloth seats for instance as I think they are very cool in the tartan. I also wanted a manual and I like the sunroof so can live without A/C for the odd day where it would be nice.

Lower miles, service history and general condition were much more important to me than spec when it came down to parting with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Things to look for are:

Diverter valve - €150
    Pcv valve €80
    Fuel pump cam follower €50
    Aircon compressor €1k
    Intake manifold flapper motor. €400

Especially in 05/06 AXX engine codes. I had to replace 4/5 of above on mine. Prices are very very rough guides.

Fair enough, to be fair I was looking at later models, so they must have changed the standard spec in them going on. But spending 8k on a 6 year old with no more spec than a 1.4 Focus is bonkers to me, each to their own though of course.

There is much more to a GTI though apart from spec, there isn't in a 1.4 focus. Obviously certain things would be nice like aircon or cruise control or full Bluetooth connectivity (though I will sort that with a parrot kit) but when I was buying the priority was a looked after car with full service history, low miles, body work and wheels in very good condition and very clean interior. When one came along I wasnt going to let the absence of one or two small things put me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

+1
    It's a drivers car, I have a "poverty spec" one but to be honest when I sit in to the decent seats, put on the aircon and some music from my iPhone I can't see there's much more I'd want to comfortably drive it tbh. Regardless of your opinion of VWs it does drive very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Fair enough, to be fair I was looking at later models, so they must have changed the standard spec in them going on. But spending 8k on a 6 year old with no more spec than a 1.4 Focus is bonkers to me, each to their own though of course.

Air con became standard on the golf from 2007 on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

But spending 8k on a 6 year old with no more spec than a 1.4 Focus is bonkers to me, each to their own though of course.

The mind boggles! :confused: i could spend 30k a 15 year old car with 1 seat,no radio,no dashboard,no lights,no carpets,and a fire extinguisher between your legs..... you are comparing apples and oranges - i love the focus but comparing a 1.4 one to a GTI on the basis of spec alone is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

tossy wrote: »
    The mind boggles! :confused: i could spend 30k a 15 year old car with 1 seat,no radio,no dashboard,no lights,no carpets,and a fire extinguisher between your legs..... you are comparing apples and oranges - i love the focus but comparing a 1.4 one to a GTI on the basis of spec alone is nonsense.

I think his point was really about the bad basic spec of the GTI 04-06. Spending €38k on a car without things like air con, steering wheel controls etc as basic ....

I think his point was really about the bad basic spec of the GTI 04-06. Spending €38k on a car without things like air con, steering wheel controls etc as basic ....

If that was the point then i agree,personally a GTI wouldn't interest me unless it had DSG,Xenons,leather etc i think it shouldn't been sold with out some of these.

But,the quote below doesn't point to that being his point :D he is comparing two second cars based on price and spec alone which is bonkers to me. :D
    But spending 8k on a 6 year old with no more spec than a 1.4 Focus is bonkers to me, each to their own though of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you want a well speced Golf GTi, buy a Skoda Octavia vRS... :)

I wasn't comparing them for price, you'd get a focus for half the price of the GTI. I was trying to point out that it made no sense to me to spend that much on a car with so little equipment just because of an engine and a badge.

I think you are still missing the point in fairness,but we will drive on.

bazz26 wrote: »

Oh oh! :D

As a guy once infamously said VRs's are bought by lads who are married to thundering B$%*@s who won't let them buy a GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    to my shame i am considering a 2005/6 BMW 520d

god love you :) I'm sure there's plenty of people in here who'd love your dilemma.

520D is a great car..remapped it's bloody awesome ;)
    approx 203hp with 420nm of torque :D

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/GOLF-2.0/201218208042030/advert?channel=CARS

What would you offer on this without running the risk of been thrown out of the garage.

Fair enough, I get it, I'm obviously the only one thinking it's bonkers to buy a 6-7 year old car for 8 grand and not at least expect Air Con, just because it has a bigger engine. My bad. I'll be sure to feel a bit silly when I next climb into my air coned, heated leather clad GTI with obviously ridiculous extras. Good luck with the search OP.

I don't think its silly at all to want certain extras its just about priorities and for me spec came second to other more important things like mileage, bodywork condition etc.

I also specifically wanted the tartan cloth seats as I had leather in my last car and wasn't a fan to be honest. The tartan seats are uber cool and and cloth is more comfortable than leather.

I also specifically wanted a proper manual, just dont like the whole not having a proper gear box and clutch. Drove autos before and yes I know you cant compare how well they work but I just felt detached from the cars not having a clutch and manual box.
    bazz26 wrote: »

I'd rather pay more and have the Golf personally, based on interior and exterior looks alone.

maracas wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/GOLF-2.0/201218208042030/advert?channel=CARS

What would you offer on this without running the risk of been thrown out of the garage.

Unless you really need a 5 door you should try to find a 3 door one, something not right about a 5 door GTI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

I have had a MK 5 GTI for 5 years now and I cannot recommend it high enough. Great handling and good power from the TSi engine. It really is all the car you could ever want!

Mine is a DSG with a high spec and I look after it well. But I would not recommend anyone buying one unless it had a full VW history. specially the dsg oil change needs done every 40k km. ( a new dsg gearbox is at least €5,000!)

The 18 inch wheels are a pain as well. The ride is too hard with them and the are hard to keep corsion free. Sensible choice is to stick to 17s.

So it really is worth paying a little extra for a well looked after example.

Advertisement