Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Stolen in 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Jaysus. This is Ireland we are talking about. The right hand doesn't talk to the left etc.

The Dept would not inform the Gardaí of someone trying to register a car.

If the car was reported stolen would the dept not know?
    If someone wants to change ownership of a stolen car would they not inform the gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If the car was reported stolen would the dept not know?
    Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

My mother recognized the dog on the street several months later and called into the local Garda station to ask them to retrieve it (they weren't overly keen about this as it was one of their informants that now had the dog)

:D:D:D

So the Guards tell you who their informers are if you just call in? Often wondered how the IRA did it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The op got a letter from the department of transport. I figure this is the type of letter that allows them to go ahead with the registration if they get no complaint/ no response from the original owner (op)

Now, this means that a registered letter response from the op
    will instantly stop the registration. I figure this action together with a copy of these letters to and from the department dropped into the gardai should be sufficient to request the gardai to go and locate your car and retrieve it for you.

Happyman42 wrote: »

So the Guards tell you who their informers are if you just call in? Often wondered how the IRA did it. :rolleyes:

It's often not a huge (as in a fair few people would have a fairly good idea) secret you Garda informants are, I would think the Gardai didn't actually tell the chap's mother that nugget of info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Happyman42 wrote: »

RoverJames wrote: »
    It's often not a huge (as in a fair few people would have a fairly good idea) secret you Garda informants are, I would think the Gardai didn't actually tell the chap's mother that nugget of info.

Indeed.. as I mentioned in that case my mother had to go a bit higher up and the excuse for doing nothing was that he was one of their informers and "sure she wouldn't want the dog back anyway at this stage".

They were later made to retrieve the dog though but weren't too happy about it.

But I digress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Just to clarify

1. Not a she

2. Car was parked up outside a friends apartment because it wasn't insured and was ment to be a secure car park (evidently it was not)

3. I don't know when it was stolen but got a call from friend asking what I did with the car and then went straight to the Garda and reported it stolen.

4. Got a letter asking essentially would I be contesting the new ownership details of the car.

I'll ring the department in the morning to explain, but I have already faxed a letter to say I am still the owner of the car.
    Hope that makes things clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is it at all possible that the management company for the apartment block saw a car parked there for a long period of time and assumed it was abandoned ? The may have put a notice on the car asking the owner to to contact them and claim ownership ? Without contact from you they would have contacted a recovery company to come take it away.

The above is what happens in the apartments where I live. In fact my Prelude (in storage pending restoration) had such a notice put on it 2 weeks ago. I have seen other cars here towed away after their owners had moved on and left them behind !

What happens to these cars I'm not sure. Could they be sold on perhaps to recover the cost of towing ? Just suggesting that there may be a perfectly innocent reason for all this.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Double post - apologies !

ZENER wrote: »
    Is it at all possible that the management company for the apartment block saw a car parked there for a long period of time and assumed it was abandoned ? The may have put a notice on the car asking the owner to to contact them and claim ownership ? Without contact from you they would have contacted a recovery company to come take it away.

The above is what happens in the apartments where I live. In fact my Prelude (in storage pending restoration) had such a notice put on it 2 weeks ago. I have seen other cars here towed away after their owners had moved on and left them behind !

What happens to these cars I'm not sure. Could they be sold on perhaps to recover the cost of towing ? Just suggesting that there may be a perfectly innocent reason for all this.

Ken

Nope, I thought that was a possibility at the time but went to the management company to see if they would check the cameras but they didn't work or record, or something to that effect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Kinda car is it? There was a 99 BMW on DoneDeal with a 'Lost Tax Book' the other day.

Anyway, More than likely the car was stolen and put into storage and then sold off for cheap with no TaxBook..... Whoever bought it, then applied to get the book so Shannon wrote to the previous owner to see I'd they'd be happy about this.

OP ring Shannon try and get through to someone decent and explain it to them, say that the Guards are doing nothing and they just might let slip the persons address ;) Then go and drive past and see if its the car, If is snap a pic into the Guards and demand they go retrieve your car back.

Hope you get it back :)

Got onto shannon this morning and gave them the pulse id of the report. the women on the phone seemed to think it was strange that they weren't informed of the theft, but said she would get onto the garda station and pass over the details.

Everyone seems to think i'll get the car back so yay free car ;) (essentially)

Kinda car is it? There was a 99 BMW on DoneDeal with a 'Lost Tax Book' the other day.

Not the car but any chance you have a link to that ad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

You should probably let the insurance company know that you've recovered the vehicle, otherwise it may be considered fraud (not sure).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Maybe the car was abandoned and the person claiming ownership found it somewhere.

sink wrote: »
    You should probably let the insurance company know that you've recovered the vehicle, otherwise it may be considered fraud (not sure).

The car wasn't insured when it was stolen so I retain full ownership of the car

smash wrote: »
    Maybe the car was abandoned and the person claiming ownership found it somewhere.

Well that is the thing, the person who has the car is most likely not the person who stole the car, and even if it was i imagine that would be VERY difficult to prove. but that person is also not the rightful owner which means the gardai can seize the property (me thinks!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Frynge wrote: »
    Well that is the thing, the person who has the car is most likely not the person who stole the car, and even if it was i imagine that would be VERY difficult to prove. but that person is also not the rightful owner which means the gardai can seize the property (me thinks!)
    well as the rightful owner, you can seize the property.

I'm assuming the new person doesn't have a key...

smash wrote: »
    well as the rightful owner, you can seize the property.

I'm assuming the new person doesn't have a key...

eeehhhmmm, can I?

I Still have the keys and everything. It could easily become a iffy situation if i landed into someone's driveway and sat into what they thought was their car and started it up.

Also i don't actually know where the car is

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yes, you can get it badly and sadly (or maybe gladly) to the new "owner" it's a complete loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

'theft' and 'in possesion of stolen goods' are different offences.

While the person who is trying to register it now may not have stolen it they are in possesion of stolen goods. Charges may be pressed against them unless the story of how they came into possesion shows them as being very niave,gullible or unlucky and they have a name and address of the person they got it from.

Yes, you can get it badly and sadly (or maybe gladly) to the new "owner" it's a complete loss.

I might try and push the women in shannon for the location of the car. Insure it and bring it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eeehhhmmm, can I?
    Yes. It's your property. You are entitled to retrieve it.

The only exception would be if it was locked in a garage. You wouldn't be entitled to break in to get it.

The Gardai should probably do it for you, but I would be inclined to let the Gardai know that you're going to go get it, then write up a small note for the other person explaining that you're taking your car back, give them the Pulse ID of the case and the phone number of the investigating Garda. Don't give them any contact details for you. Just pop the note in the letterbox and take the car. You don't need any confrontation.

I might try and push the women in shannon for the location of the car. Insure it and bring it home.

I would not advice this tbh, the person who has the car may be innocent.

Tbh i would mainly like to just know where the car has been the last 3 year.
    i don't think i would have the balls to go and get it myself, plus the garda would be better able to handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

why the assumption there'd be a confrontation with the 'new owner' ...
    i'm guessing they bought the car for cash or the like and are in for some shock :eek:
    now if i bought a car off a website or whatever and a couple of days later some stranger turned up claiming they were the owner and were 'seizing' it' there is no way i'd just say 'ok cheerio so ... and let them off with the car ....
    op i'm assuming you'd need a garda with you to explain the situation and go through the process for the other person -- they too are now the victim of a crime as well ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

i don't think i would have the balls to go and get it myself, plus the garda would be better able to handle it.

so would i -- has it been taxed in that period i wonder? hard to see how but i'd still wonder all the same -- then again somebody who robs a car is hardly going to be worried bout taxing it are they :D

If the gardai know where it is they will detain it and take it back to the station. What did you mean by the woman in shannon was surprised they were not told of the theft?

If some unsuspecting person has handed over good money to find their purchase isn't theirs i will feel sorry for them

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    If the gardai know where it is they will detain it and take it back to the station. What did you mean by the woman in shannon was surprised they were not told of the theft?

She said it was strange there was no record of it, even though there is a garda report on it

Advertisement