Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 148 Discussion **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'd say there's a reason he hasn't done it, probably has no interest. Yet at least. I can't imagine that Dana never approached him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm so pissed off with the outcome of the Main Event.

That spinning back fist was so fcukin unnecessary and cost him the fight, what was he thinking!!!

One thing to note though, Sonnen totally owned Silva in that first round, same as he did in the first 4 rounds last time, NOBODY else has come close to dominating Silva like this.

In the 5 completed rounds that Chael has fought against Sonnen he's won all 5, convincingly.

I know he's lost both fights, but i'm looking at the bigger picture here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,104 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

scudzilla wrote: »

That spinning back fist was so fcukin unnecessary and cost him the fight, what was he thinking!!!

One thing to note though, Sonnen totally owned Silva in that first round, same as he did in the first 4 rounds last time, NOBODY else has come close to dominating Silva like this.

In the 5 completed rounds that Chael has fought against Sonnen he's won all 5, convincingly.

Don't know how you can call lying on top of him literally doing nothing other than slap him in the head domination tbh...yeah he won the round but when Silva is able to point at his head with Sonnen on top of him I think it was when Sonnen was in half guard then you know he's not that effective at it.

Liam O wrote: »
    Don't know how you can call lying on top of him literally doing nothing other than slap him in the head domination tbh...yeah he won the round but when Silva is able to point at his head with Sonnen on top of him I think it was when Sonnen was in half guard then you know he's not that effective at it.

It was domination though, he was on top for most of the round, no other fighter has done that. Sure i would have liked to have seen a few more bombs drop but that wasn't the case

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Liam O wrote: »

It was domination though, he was on top for most of the round, no other fighter has done that. Sure i would have liked to have seen a few more bombs drop but that wasn't the case

When does he ever drop bombs? Sonnen doesn't finish fights. He grinds out decisions. I was hoping for the ref to stand it up because he done very little apart from lying there. Delighted it wasn't a repeat of the 1st fight because id of hate to see him become the champ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

leggo wrote: »
    Thought the same myself, has it ever happened before that a fight has still been ongoing as they open from ringside?

In fairness, it's probably 3.05pm by the time they get to that stage so it buys them the time to rush the fight announcement and so on while the intro vid is playing.

at UFC 100 the last prelim was meant to be Thiago vs Fitch but they moved that to be after the main card!!! It still ended up being aired live.

Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,165 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I

I think you'll find you're not!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Does anyone have any links to watch the highlights? Missed it as I was at the SHM gig last night. Thanks!

audman wrote: »
    Does anyone have any links to watch the highlights? Missed it as I was at the SHM gig last night. Thanks!

There was a post on MMA Junkie earlier on which had an official UFC fight highlghts video featuring both ME and Co-ME. MIght still be there?

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif

Haha, yep, that was me down to a tee last night
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think you'll find you're not!

maybe wrong words used, i'm looking at both fights, he beat Silva hands down in the 5 full rounds they had. First fight he loses concentration and gets subbed, second he, for some unknown reason, throws a retardedly stupid and unnecessary back fist and loses it.

I'm just pissed off, my whole head is full of ifs and buts, gonna hibernate for a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

audman wrote: »

You're still here to tell the tale thankfully.

maybe wrong words used, i'm looking at both fights, he beat Silva hands down in the 5 full rounds they had. First fight he loses concentration and gets subbed, second he, for some unknown reason, throws a retardedly stupid and unnecessary back fist and loses it.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up!

You're actually looking at the smaller picture. You are looking at who won invidividual rounds on points.

The bigger picture is who won the fight(s). Point-fighting like Sonnen does is a perfectly valid gameplan but it only works if you don't get finished.

Silva won both fights so in the 'bigger picture', Silva dominated Sonnen convincingly, not the other way around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Chavways wrote: »
    You're still here to tell the tale thankfully.

Haha, true that :) Had the pleasure of watching Galway today in Croker too, delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Skudzilla would make a great politician. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

jayteecork wrote: »
    Definite attempted knee to the face and short grabbing.

I havent seen that much short grabbing since the Macho Mans title theft from Ric Flair at Wrestlemania 8. I was half expecting Sonnens crew to react a little like this :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rww8N5wOips

Great finish by Ando, the only person I think hes got left in the division at this stage is Munoz. A fight with Jones at LHW would be awesome but its probably not gonna happen.

Sonnen's reaction to the shorts grabbing in the post-fight presser was great, though. He says it like it is, even when that doesn't favour him (unless he's ridiculously hyping a fight, in which case it's hilarious). It's why I can't dislike the guy.

Scudzilla, I get what you're saying. I think what we can learn from their fights is that Sonnen can still hold his head high, but he's just not good enough to finish off Ando. He doesn't have that extra level required (and by 'extra level', I mean 'the ability to finish'). But he's still shown a great accounting of himself. Fact is, two silly mistakes cost him fights he could have won. It's the best he could ever, realistically, hope for. If Anderson had come out more focused in the 1st round, he could've put that necessary distance between them and forced the finish a lot sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,185 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jayteecork wrote: »
    Definite attempted knee to the face and short grabbing.
    I really doubt he considered a knee to the face for even a second. Even if it was immensely satisfying, it would mean he'd lose the belt for a few months.

As for the shorts, Chaels words were along the lines of;
    "Yeah, Anderson grabbing my trunk but I grabbed his right back. It goes both ways, and we can't sit an nit-pick at some of that stuff. It's a two man sport."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Don't know if this was posted before but I thought it was really well done

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Only had a quid on it I know but just my luck Kim somehow breaks his ribs falling down.

capture11s.jpg

ufcaccumwinner.jpg

€5 returning €60 and change. Yeeeahh buddy! :pac:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I loved Silvas reaction when asked if he would want to fight Jon Jones.... "Noooo...." lol.... at least the guy is honest, Jones would wreck him (and I like Silva more than Jones!!)

DeVore wrote: »
    I loved Silvas reaction when asked if he would want to fight Jon Jones.... "Noooo...." lol.... at least the guy is honest, Jones would wreck him (and I like Silva more than Jones!!)

Lol! I was gonna post a picture of his face when asked this. It was that look you'd where his face was kinda saying "Are you crazy? Would YOU fight Jon Jones?"

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Meh, Sonnen is a champ in my books and still my favourite fighter by far, the only man to dominate Anderson... Knee to the face, short grabbing, sh*t happens and Anderson won again... As much as people can talk about other challengers, to be honest, I think Chael deserves a final rematch.. The knee to the chest/face, the short grabbing, the vaseline...
    And the fact there is nobody else in the MW division that would even come that close to beating Anderson.... Unless Hendo decides to drop down again, wouldn't mind seeing that :P
    You're actually looking at the smaller picture. You are looking at who won invidividual rounds on points.

The bigger picture is who won the fight(s). Point-fighting like Sonnen does is a perfectly valid gameplan but it only works if you don't get finished.

Silva won both fights so in the 'bigger picture', Silva dominated Sonnen convincingly, not the other way around.

Everything you said there is right... But there is no way in hell Silva dominated Sonnen convincingly, in the first fight, he was a minute away from losing one of the most one-sided fights ever, and the second fight he won the second round? Hardly domination by any means..

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Knee to the face, short grabbing, sh*t happens and Anderson won again

There was no knee to the face
    ... As much as people can talk about other challengers, to be honest, I think Chael deserves a final rematch..

After being finished twice? The second fight didn't even last 10 minutes!
    Everything you said there is right... But there is no way in hell Silva dominated Sonnen convincingly, in the first fight, he was a minute away from losing one of the most one-sided fights ever, and the second fight he won the second round? Hardly domination by any means..

1 fight ending in submission and the 2nd ending in brutal violence....... sounds like domination to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Ok, that's it I want another rematch. I know sherdog guys and the general opinion is that there's no chance but I wonder.... if that's true. If enough people refuse to believe Silva is far superior and Sonnen was just unlucky or the shorts thing or the knee thing or the points thing or the losing rounds within a fight thing then ya know... it could happen couldn't it? We'd all watch it and we all know the UFC operates by straight forward marketing forces.. i.e. will a lot of people watch it rather than x,y,z
    Answer: Yes

Is it totally impossible?
    Could Chael actually start beating a drum for it.. he seems to have written it off so far but it's early bells...

fingers crossed..

Look at it this way if Silva has 3 or 4 top level fights in him MAX seeing as he's beaten the clock already then why wouldn't Sonnen be ONE OF THOSE seeing as it's clear that after Weidman, Lombard and Munoz it's straw clutching time..

If enough people refuse to believe Silva is far superior and Sonnen was just unlucky or the shorts thing or the knee thing or the points thing or the losing rounds within a fight thing then ya know...

it's straw clutching time..

Indeed!

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Meh, Sonnen is a champ in my books and still my favourite fighter by far, the only man to dominate Anderson... Knee to the face, short grabbing, sh*t happens and Anderson won again... As much as people can talk about other challengers, to be honest, I think Chael deserves a final rematch.. The knee to the chest/face, the short grabbing, the vaseline...
    And the fact there is nobody else in the MW division that would even come that close to beating Anderson.... Unless Hendo decides to drop down again, wouldn't mind seeing that :P

*sigh*

beatingadeadhorse.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its hard to believe people are really going with the "knee to the face" thing...

That said, I'd pay to see Sonnen vs Silva 2.5 :)
    If Sonnen does get another shot, he is going to have to learn to be more respectful in his language though, he builds himself up so much that he chokes when its game time and finds a way to lose. He'll perform better if he keeps his head down, clear, and straight imho.

Advertisement