Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A GAMSAT Score of 54 got you into medicine last year, can it really go any lower!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭EngDoc

I think it's reached the point where your personal financial situation has become as important (if not more so) than your result in the gamsat.

Unless you're old enough and have had enough time to put away a serious amount of cash in a savings account before applying for grad med, I'd guess that a lot of people accepting offers will be doing so because their family can support them.

I mean...where do you draw the line when it comes to the fees they're asking for? 15K, 17K, 20K? Even if a bank is willing to give a loan to cover these fees for four years...it must reach a point when you just have to say...it's not worth it.

Maybe I'm the only one who's considering turning down an offer due to the increase in fees (and the chance of them increasing again over the four years), I know a lot of people become rather fanatical when it comes to studying med.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

EngDoc wrote: »
    Maybe I'm the only one who's considering turning down an offer due to the increase in fees (and the chance of them increasing again over the four years), I know a lot of people become rather fanatical when it comes to studying med.

Firstly, i'm sure you're not the only one. It's a real shame, but with the withdrawal of the AIB package i'm sure there are plenty of people who will have to work for at least another year if they're financing themselves (i.e. not receiving help from family)

With regards to fees increasing in subsequent years, do those increases apply to people who have already started the course or just do incoming first years?

With regards to fees increasing in subsequent years, do those increases apply to people who have already started the course or just do incoming first years?

I always assumed an increase would apply to everyone, new and current students. But then...I'm a cynic, would be great if I was incorrect and your fees are frozen for the four years when you accept a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

I had always assumed the opposite... I guess one of us is an idiot :p

Sadly I think the cynic is usually right in these cases...

Sadly I think the cynic is usually right in these cases...

Assume the worst and you'll rarely be disappointed...that's my cheerful motto! :P

Probably not what you'd want to tell any future patients though...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

EngDoc wrote: »
    I always assumed an increase would apply to everyone, new and current students. But then...I'm a cynic, would be great if I was incorrect and your fees are frozen for the four years when you accept a place.

Fee increases are for everyone.

As far as I know the only increases at UCC have been due to decreased subsidisation by the government. So the course itself still costs the same as it did 4 years ago. Except next year UCC will have about €250,000 less to subsidise the fees than it would have without a reduction in government subsidy.

But of course > intake of students means > cost to subsidise graduate medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 McMuffin

No fee increases are not for everyone

Advertisement