Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish street signs vs 30% unemployment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

off-topic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

A few comments are sneaking in here that could lead to the thread being dragged down ver quickly, can we please try to ensure that when discussing this topic that no libellous comments are made.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Beer Baron wrote: »
    What Language is "African" exactly? :confused:

They probably meant Afrikaan which is South African. My other half would be chuffed alright to see that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

bazz26 wrote: »
    They probably meant Afrikaan which is South African. My other half would be chuffed alright to see that. :)

No, I think he actually meant "African".
    Tell your other half "Gaan kak in die mielies" btw!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Just another small example that shows our leaders are idiotic and ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

He has responded to the criticism...

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/mayor-of-limerick-defends-proposals-to-introduce-polish-signage-1-4020729
    In a statement released to the Limerick Leader, he wrote: “I am a man of the world, I travel the world. I have an obligation to set out my views and stand up for all groupings within the city. I don’t like to hear people giving out about my views, especially when they are about warm welcomes for all. It is my responsibility as Mayor of Limerick City to acknowledge the input of all nationalities.”

He said he is happy to see discussions take place on the matter, but “it would be very unhealthy to fear difference”.

Mayor McLoughlin said it is “naive” not to foster links with different countries. “Jobs are only going to come about by creating links with other countries. Let’s not be naive: lay out the red carpet for other countries to visit and be welcome in Limerick. Our city doesn’t start and end between Caherdavin and Castletroy. We’re a beacon for the whole of Limerick city, county and others,” he added.

Still doesn't spell out how all the different African languages are gonna fit on the signs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

We don't fear difference, we just fear idiots at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RonnieLimerick

that <mod snip> is either courting the immigrant vote for the local elections or he got way to many blows to the head during his rugby days .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Reminder than name calling can be considered libellous, this will be the last on thread warning I'll be giving, after this it will be cards & bans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I love the Polish! But even they don't want Polish signs!

And "African Signs"? The sign would be the height of the building with all the different languages! But correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't English an official language of most African countries anyway? Sure the job is already half done so? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

We don't fear difference, we just fear idiots at the helm.

You're barking up the wrong tree, Fuzz. The mayor is not the person at the helm. The major decisions that affect the city are made by the executive officers in the local authority. The mayor doesn't have any role.

zulutango wrote: »
    You're barking up the wrong tree, Fuzz. The mayor is not the person at the helm. The major decisions that affect the city are made by the executive officers in the local authority. The mayor doesn't have any role.

Well, thank God for that!
    Just as long as the rest concentrate on the real issues, the Mayor can say or do what he wants.
    I just had to write this, because I work in the black hole of Calcutta with an hour long commute for a dodgy company.
    And there's zero chance of finding something else unless I want to work for €20k or become a software engineer.
    And I consider myself lucky to have a job (my mantra when banging my head against the wall), since many others cannot find work, as evident by a 30% rate of unemployment in the area.
    Here's hoping that the real people in charge are smart, forward thinking, daring, think outside the box and are not afraid to take some bold steps to address the issues facing Limerick.
    I live in Clare, but it's worse there, about three factories and the rest is civil servants, farmers and people running their own B&B's, other than that it's nothing but a housing estate and Park'n'Ride serving Galway and Limerick. So I would never expect to find any work there anyway.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I love the Polish! But even they don't want Polish signs!

And "African Signs"? The sign would be the height of the building with all the different languages! But correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't English an official language of most African countries anyway? Sure the job is already half done so? :pac:

Actually, on the Polish signs.
    We have some eastern European colleagues in our company, but they are from Belarus, Latvia and Lithuania.
    Polish signs will be of no help to them.
    If they really want to address most Easterners, the signs would have to be Russian.
    Then just add French for our African friends and we have most of it covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

ninty9er wrote: »

Even the Iranian government renamed Winston Churchill Boulevard, the location of the Embassy of the United Kingdom in Tehran, to Bobby Sands Street in order to make the Irish ex-pat community feel more welcome over there... at least I think that's why they did it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ya i dont really get that..

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Even the Iranian government renamed Winston Churchill Boulevard, the location of the Embassy of the United Kingdom in Tehran, to Bobby Sands Street in order to make the Irish ex-pat community feel more welcome over there... at least I think that's why they did it!

Niiiiice!:D
    Those whacky Iranians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AndrewFla

Whatever about the sentiments and the logistics, I simply dont think now is the time to be doing something like this. For people being harrassed to pay the household tax, worrying about their income, worrying about the water tax coming in, for those who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own, for those who cant FIND a job in the first place... It's a slap in the face for money to be spent on something i would see as being very much non essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

The fact that someone like this can be elected mayor really depresses me... Just makes me more disinterested in Irish politics. The 'unhealthy to fear difference' comment particularly baffles me. How does that kind of viewpoint even develop?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

This is precisely why Ireland is in the state that it's in, one mans crusade is much more important than a decision that would benefit everybody.
    Complete and utter self important and self publicizing morons are the people who have power in this country. Just look at that moron Hogan with his house hold tax crusade and then sends his staff to Harvard for a management course costing over 250k of taxpayers money. I bet anybody who paid that farce of a tax feels right stupid now. People didn't stand together, people fear the government and that's why they walk all over the people. Laughing as they go, back slapping their friendly banker friends and European politicians. Ah shur it'll all be grand lads, we can tax our way out of this economic treason lark ;)

Meanwhile morons all over the country, mayors, city planners, managers, politicians continue to come up with hair brained ideas on how to piss away tax payers cash, pictures in the papers of them smiling and grinning at each other without a care in their elite world. No accountability breeds this type of moron and shur not to worry aren't we trying to flog the aul electronic voting machines :D Its all scandal folks, these bastards are just helping out their elite friends while the tax payer gets shafted with yet more stealth taxes and now they are actually threatening people with fines and pretty soon jail sentences until they get what they want. Your pension, your kids college money, your small keep the wolves away from the door emergency fund and every spare cent you have as long as the bankers and investors are paid.

Its a huge big fat ****ing farce, we've all been played like fiddles by the elite while they chink their champagne glasses from wherever country they've decided to run and hide out. Lets call a spade a spade and realize that most politicians don't give a fiddlers fart about any of you, they have a public service job and at the end when they walk away they get a lovely big fat golden handshake and the type of pension and comfort 95% of us can only dream about. We are no longer living in a democracy as the government do not fear the people. The people fear the government and that as I understand it is more of a dictatorship. They promised us change they promised us honesty but in reality they just wanted the power and the perks that are provided to those at the top and long after they are gone from power they will be more than comfortable for their efforts.

Every single man and woman who gave their life for this country so we could run it ourselves must be turning in their grave at how much of the absolute financial raping or little country has endured and continues to endure. So the rich get richer and the poor get poorer...whats changed? Absolutely nothing, they just figured out a way of getting more money out of you to pay for the mistakes of the unaccountable elite. Economic treason and yet nobody is accountable. Shur it'll all be grand ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

I don't think I have even read such a load of typical middle-class, bleeding-heart, do-gooder, arse-licker codology from the Mayor of Limerick. Street signs in Polish indeed! I am sure that there are lot of street signs in Poland in English to help confused foreign tourists. The Mayor of Limerick should be promoting our native Irish language and not be spouting a load of codswallop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

honestly this guy has got his priorities wrong he shouldnt be in politics..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

lads will ye relax, its never going to happen. it was a numpty comment made by a naive new mayor not a wet day in the job, and the media, as usual, picked it up and ran with it, blowing it completely out of all proportion... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

DOBBER112 wrote: »
    This is precisely why Ireland is in the state that it's in, one mans crusade is much more important than a decision that would benefit everybody.
    Complete and utter self important and self publicizing morons are the people who have power in this country. Just look at that moron Hogan with his house hold tax crusade and then sends his staff to Harvard for a management course costing over 250k of taxpayers money. I bet anybody who paid that farce of a tax feels right stupid now. People didn't stand together, people fear the government and that's why they walk all over the people. Laughing as they go, back slapping their friendly banker friends and European politicians. Ah shur it'll all be grand lads, we can tax our way out of this economic treason lark ;)
    Meanwhile morons all over the country, mayors, city planners, managers, politicians continue to come up with hair brained ideas on how to piss away tax payers cash, pictures in the papers of them smiling and grinning at each other without a care in their elite world. No accountability breeds this type of moron and shur not to worry aren't we trying to flog the aul electronic voting machines :D Its all scandal folks, these bastards are just helping out their elite friends while the tax payer gets shafted with yet more stealth taxes and now they are actually threatening people with fines and pretty soon jail sentences until they get what they want. Your pension, your kids college money, your small keep the wolves away from the door emergency fund and every spare cent you have as long as the bankers and investors are paid. Its a huge big fat ****ing farce, we've all been played like fiddles by the elite while they chink their champagne glasses from wherever country they've decided to run and hide out. Lets call a spade a spade and realize that most politicians don't give a fiddlers fart about any of you, they have a public service job and at the end when they walk away they get a lovely big fat golden handshake and the type of pension and comfort 95% of us can only dream about. We are no longer living in a democracy as the government do not fear the people. The people fear the government and that as I understand it is more of a dictatorship. They promised us change they promised us honesty but in reality they just wanted the power and the perks that are provided to those at the top and long after they are gone from power they will be more than comfortable for their efforts. Every single man and woman who gave their life for this country so we could run it ourselves must be turning in their grave at how much of the absolute financial raping or little country has endured and continues to endure. So the rich get richer and the poor get poorer...whats changed? Absolutely nothing, they just figured out a way of getting more money out of you to pay for the mistakes of the unaccountable elite. Economic treason and yet nobody is accountable. Shur it'll all be grand ;)

:eek::eek:

Throw in a few paragraphs there. I'm afraid to even have a go at reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

xsiborg wrote: »
    lads will ye relax, its never going to happen. it was a numpty comment made by a naive new mayor not a wet day in the job, and the media, as usual, picked it up and ran with it, blowing it completely out of all proportion... :rolleyes:

Would agree with that save for the fact that the "naive" mayor has gone on to repeat the same thing in a number of interviews since and gone into his usual routine, usual from what I have heard from him as a councillor, of trying to insult those that disagree with his idea.

I think it is not the talk of the street signs that is what gets people annoyed the most, rather the fact that this mayor, like many of those who came before him, just seems to be following the well worn track of trying to push a pretty stupid idea as soon as the chain of mayor goes on rather than trying to use the role to do something about the city centre that has become a joke during his watch as a councillor (and of course under the watch of many of his peers)

If people want to see why Limerick city centre is years behind the other Irish cities in many ways, then a look at the list of mayors, and a good look through the names of the councillors, makes it easy to figure things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Kess73 wrote: »

If people want to see why Limerick city centre is years behind the other Irish cities in many ways, then a look at the list of mayors, and a good look through the names of the councillors, makes it easy to figure things out.

It's the officials that have the power, Kess. The councillors have a very limited role. The reasons that Limerick is as it is is very little to do with the councillors and mayors, however embarrassing they are. There are plenty of factors but the main one is that there are three administrations, with three power structures, three plans and very little co-ordination between them. All of Limerick's difficulties, with the exception of the weather, can be traced to this issue, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Advertisement