Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

started my first homebrew just over a week ago.doing a czech pilsner.cant wait for the end result

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

Will be doing tomorrow a Wheat Beer Kit. Can't get enough of it.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Made some more beer grain bread today, much better this time. Seriously tasty!

CLwxy

http://imgur.com/CLwxy

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

Just bottled some coopers stout today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

kerinsp wrote: »
    Just bottled some coopers stout today.

I got a coopers stout to brew. I wanna try some hops in it and maybe try making milk stout by adding lactose! Did you add anything to your kit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

Hi, its my first go at a stout but I did add a half a can of treacle. I also used that brew enhancer stuff instead of sugar. Hope it turns out nice.
    I've a coopers lager to attempt next but I'm really not sure of the temperatures needed on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Hi ,i done a stout with half tin of treacle,its lovely ,lager kit needs lower temp 16c-18 c i think

300g of chocalate syryp is a nice addition also

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

engrish? wrote: »
    Made some more beer grain bread today, much better this time. Seriously tasty!

CLwxy

http://imgur.com/CLwxy

what was the recipe? going to try it with the next brew i do just not to sure on the grain/flour/water amounts

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bottled a plain apple last night.

Primed a few bottles with raspberry syrup in a step towards my quest for an apple and raspberry that tastes like apple juice with blended raspberries.

Added 2 x 6 inch cinnamon sticks and 3 cloves to about 10L of apple cider (after it had finished primary). Going to taste test this in a week and either add more cinnamon or bottle it. Will repeat until it's sufficiently cinnamon-ey. I meant to add some nutmeg, but don't have any. May add that later today. I have high hopes for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Bottled my batch of Coopers Real Ale over the weekend.
    Going to start a batch of St Peters IPA this evening.

Baneblade wrote: »
    what was the recipe? going to try it with the next brew i do just not to sure on the grain/flour/water amounts

http://www.topfermented.com/2010/02/01/homebrew-making-bread-with-spent-grain/

You use very little grain, I took a good bit of it out and put it in the freezer. I made another one last night, a bit like making beer, you get better each time!

228244.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Bottled a gallon of Raspberry, Elderflower and Cranberry T Bag wine last night. Beautiful stuff even at only 5 weeks old. 1 box Twinnings, sugar, 2 litres Lidl grape juice, and odds and ends. 13%. Light, crisp, medium rose, lots of fruit flavour. 70 cent a bottle :)

You should try the twinnings infusion with a cider Khannie, get your tannins in that way at the same time.

Im gonna do muntons midas touch again ,as soon as my lager is finished ,going to dry hop with goldings i think ,any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hoping to start on Coopers International Mexican Cerveza as well as Cantina Gold Pinot Grigio this week or so. Have plenty of home booze in time for Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

tteknulp wrote: »
    Im gonna do muntons midas touch again ,as soon as my lager is finished ,going to dry hop with goldings i think ,any suggestions?

Goldings will be perfect for dry hopping with that kit. I would use about 30g as they are fairly mellow like most english varities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have just started brewing a Brewferm Diabolo. It's an interesting kit, as it makes up 9L and should have a starting gravity of 1.070. Unfortunately I wasn't paying enough attention when adding water and had the fermentor on a tilted surface (:o), so ended up with 10L. Despite adding more fermentables than required (closer to 700g instead of 500g) of light spraymalt, I had an SG of 1.064 (at 22.7'). So assuming it finishes up at around 1.010, it should be around 7% ABV. This beer apparently takes 6-8 weeks in the bottle before it's really drinkable, so I may kick-off another brew, if I can figure out how to juggle fermentors and bottles.

So for my next brew, I have a Coopers draft (which I kind of regret buying), which I plan to dry-hop with 50g of Hersbrucker hops. I may pore-off a couple of bottles before dry-hopping, just for comparison purposes as I'd really like to taste the difference that dry-hopping makes.

Khannie wrote: »
    Added 2 x 6 inch cinnamon sticks and 3 cloves to about 10L of apple cider (after it had finished primary). Going to taste test this in a week and either add more cinnamon or bottle it. Will repeat until it's sufficiently cinnamon-ey. I meant to add some nutmeg, but don't have any. May add that later today. I have high hopes for this.

After only 3 days this had enough cinnamon flavour, possibly *slightly* more than I would have wanted but I wont know for sure until after it's bottled and conditioned. If it is too much, I can always mix it with plain apple cider at drinking time.

I racked it and got 9 litres out of it so the moral of the story is: be careful with the cinnamon. :) I used a total of 2 x 6 inch cinnamon sticks for the 9 litres of fermented cider.

I'll prime it with just apple juice to try and ease it out a bit.

It smelled really good though so I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

There was an epic group buy on the National Homebrew Club forum recently where there was around 300 litres of freshly pressed apple juice bought and delivered around the country in one day (thanks to Ciderhead!)

Here's my 25 litres just after arriving in my house in Leixlip fresh from the orchard in Tipperary.

It's been dosed with camden tabs, followed by pectase and then yeast, and soon it will be delicious 100% Irish 100% natural cider.

A7ht8ZoCEAAGCxv.jpg:large

Nice, so how much did that set you back?

• Advertisement

€31 in total, €6 of which was for the container which is re-usable, and also Irish made.

RUBBING IT IN MY FAAAAAAAACCCEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Khannie wrote: »
    RUBBING IT IN MY FAAAAAAAACCCEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Teehee. Sorry dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Khannie did you try the turbo from concentrate yet

I cant stand cider, I hate even the smell of it, but I have been following that group buy and I was really tempted to take part.

Tell me, in terms of bulmbers v's your cider is it as much of a difference as there is craft beer - heiniken?

Well if that ever happens again will you let us know? :) That's some deal!
    Got to plant some trees.

engrish? wrote: »
    I cant stand cider, I hate even the smell of it, but I have been following that group buy and I was really tempted to take part.

Tell me, in terms of bulmbers v's your cider is it as much of a difference as there is craft beer - heiniken?

TBH I'm not a cider expert, and have never made real cider before, but I understand that the difference will be as profound. Irish craft ciders are top notch... I swapped some hop plants for some real cider from this guy as his cider is absolutely fantastic, and if my cider turns out nearly as well as his I'll be thrilled.

stuchyg wrote: »
    Khannie did you try the turbo from concentrate yet

I did. Let's just say it's not ready. :) I'll try it again in a week and see what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Got a Coopers DIY Beer kit today to satisfy my homebrew needs in Calgary. Threw the Lager and brew enhancer that came with it in the back of a press (I'll probably use it in some kind of extract recipe for Christmas, maybe just do a hop boil and add it in) and went on with my Thomas Cooper's IPA kit I bought, I steeped about 500g of fresh crushed crystal 40 (crushed by me in the homebrew shop :cool:) for 20 mins, chucked that in, added my kilo of extra light DME, the kit itself, topped off stirred for ages and added some Danstar Nottingham (they didn't have Safale US-05). I have a 1oz bag of Summit hops for dry hopping. Wort sample tastes nice, enough bitterness but I think the dry hopping will do it the world of good.

Advertisement