Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra mickey money advertising scandal

Options
  • 03-07-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0703/breaking21.html

A Centra outlet in Dublin, which last year won National Convenience Store of the Year, has been criticised for including alcohol as part of a 'Children's Allowance Day' deals promotion.

Courtney’s Centra in Fairview and East Wall produced flyers entitled ‘Children’s Allowance Day Deals’ and featuring a variety of products on offer including cheese, biscuits and pizza. Two alcohol products were also included in the offer.

A case of Miller beer was promoted for €15, or 75 cents a bottle, while two cases of Budweiser beer were on offer for €25.

So to make it a very happy "Feast of St Penis" they are offering Cheap beer

Its a scandal i tells ya
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

but the children need to start drinking young now if they are to be able to binge drink then puke or fight on the streets at 3am when they are 16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Hey all you non smokers out there who are in favour of restrictions on smoking being brought in, its the same mentality behind such campaigns as are behind the likes of:
    Ms Ryan drew attention to the fact that Government is currently examining legislation separating the sale of alcohol and food. She said promotions like this underline the need for tighter regulation. “If we continue to sell alcohol like a grocery in supermarkets and not treat it as a licensed product, then in one way I’m not surprised a retailer would put alcohol in with groceries.”
    Don't think this will have as many people supporting it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i dont remember this cheap beer sales centra were doing
    probably the reason why i dont remember ;)

ah sure most people dont even spend their childrens allowence on the children
    its not really a big shock

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

I bet he still ended up buying the two crates of Budweiser for €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Not good advertising for Centra as a whole - stupid thing to be putting out there...it obviously has something to say about the locale in which it was placed - I doubt we'd see a similar advertising campaign in Blackrock, Donnybrook or Sandymount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

The miller offer was running in Tescos a while ago ... nothing new in the pricing just the blatant exploitation of Children’s Allowance Day in there advertising .

It did get people talking however ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Looks like I need to get some women pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

This is unlikey to encourage parents to spend their children's allowance on alcohol - it's unlikey they'll go into Centra for groceries, see the sign and then think 'must buy alcohol'.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people get so worked up over such trivial things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Article wrote:
    Mr McCausland called on the Centra store to make an apology and commit to responsible advertising in future. “I think this is extremely bad taste and I believe they should make an apology or admit it was inappropriate because Child Benefit is a state payment for the benefit for children. To suggest it should be spent on alcohol is appalling.”

No, what's appalling is the fact this guy thinks he has a right to tell people what they should be buying with their money. Its none of his ****ing business if people spend it on baby food or budweiser. Typical self appointed moral guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Makes me thirsty................Miller Time!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

This is unlikey to encourage parents to spend their children's allowance on alcohol - it's unlikey they'll go into Centra for groceries, see the sign and then think 'must buy alcohol'.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people get so worked up over such trivial things.

agreed

just like the hunky dorys posters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Do you have to tow a brat along with ya to avail of this offer... Thats discrimination to us non parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Meath East TD Regina Doherty, who is a member of the Joint Committee on Health and Children, also expressed concerns at the promotion.

“This is a blatant abuse of the standards and codes that the we are using for responsible promotion of alcohol. Child benefit payments are for children and to blatantly advertise alcohol like this contravenes moral standards not alone advertising ones. I think this is a prime example of how self-regulation of the industry is absolutely not working.”

Exactly. Child benefit is for children and not for parents buying alcohol with it.

She should be targeting her ire at the small amount of people that avail of these offers with their child benefit. Although we dont want to be upsetting potential voters do we :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think what makes it more fun is that they put them out in Fairview and East Wall.

I mean, fair enough if they put them up in every Centra from Foxrock to Borris-in-Ossory they could call it an oversight, but they were clearly deliberately targetting lower socioeconomic communities.

I think it's a terrible idea in general. Ignoring the fact that this is such a cock-up it's actually hilarious, the only way you could have "children's allowance day" promotions would be to give offers on products like nappies, liga, cheestrings, that kind of stuff. I mean, even having offers on ice-pops and pizzas is in pretty bad taste.

Even if the products were appropriate it's still inappropriate because you're basically saying, "Hey parents, spend your benefits in our shop!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I hope there were pictures on the leaflet, because I doubt any parent dumb enough to buy alcohol instead of food because they saw it on an advertising leaflet can read.

op needs to add a poll to this thread

Do you spend your children's allowance money on alcohol?

1. Yes i regularily buy booze with the money
    2. Yes i occasionally buy booze with the money
    3. No i dont buy booze with the money
    4. No i have no kids
    5. I buy Atari Jaguar games with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Relax everyone. It was Miller... it's piss anyway so nobody'd buy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

seamus wrote: »
    .... Ignoring the fact that this is such a cock-up...

Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Exactly. Child benefit is for children and not for parents buying alcohol with it.

She should be targeting her ire at the small amount of people that avail of these offers with their child benefit. Although we dont want to be upsetting potential voters do we :rolleyes:

Child benefit, is so the parents can look after the children. How in God's name are they expected to look after the children if they can't get a bit of booze into them? I mean, kids can be a handful at the best of times, looking after them sober, is near impossible..

Plus they sleep better when they've a bit of booze in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There's no such thing as bad publicity....as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

The person who put this promotion up should be sacked.

It should have been Dutch Gold over Miller.

Ice87 wrote: »
    The person who put this promotion up should be sacked.

It should have been Dutch Gold over Miller.

nah Dutch gold is too posh these days.

go with tuborg or bavaria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Allyall wrote: »
    Plus they sleep better when they've a bit of booze in them.

The kids or the parents? Can't have the kids too drunk, they might injure themselves when out robbing playing:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The way they were talking on the news on the radio makes it sound worse than it actually is. The beer offer is only one small part of the flyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pubs will be busy tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tomomurray1

:pac:
    The promotion is being referred to several authorities, including the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs.
    Centra said it takes the sale and promotion of alcohol very seriously and it has instructed the retailers involved to withdraw the promotion.
    A flyer was circulated by stores in Fairview and East Wall in Dublin, one store in Kilcoole, Co Wicklow and another in Tullamore, Co Offaly.
    Two cheap alcoholic drinks were advertised alongside reduced price biscuits, pizza and ice cream.
    Alcohol Action Ireland Director Fiona Ryan described the promotion as "totally irresponsible", especially when "one in 11 children in Ireland are living with a parent with problematic alcohol use".
    Barnardos said the campaign sent out the wrong message about what child benefit is designed to do.
    Its Chief Executive Fergus Finlay said: "This promotion is insulting to parents and families all over Ireland who are already struggling to provide for their children."
    The campaign also drew criticism from Fianna Fáil's Senator Averil Power and Councillor Nick Killian.
    Centra said: "The promotion is not part of a national marketing plan or promotional strategy
    "Centra fully understands that the abuse of alcohol is a serious issue in Irish society and apologises for the promotion, which although isolated to four stores, is contrary to Centra's belief that retailers have a critical role to play in ensuring that alcohol is promoted and sold responsibly.
    "The promotion undermines our genuine commitment to take our social responsibilities regarding alcohol extremely seriously."

LINK

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0703/centra-alcohol-promotion.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The campaign also drew criticism from Fianna Fáil's Senator Averil Power

I knew a Father Clint Power once.

Pubs will be busy tonight

no they wont... the child benefit money will be spent on cheap booze

pubs dont sell cheap booze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

no they wont... the child benefit money will be spent on cheap booze

pubs dont sell cheap booze

It will be entirely coincidental of course if the publicans agree with the notion that alcohol should not be available for sale with groceries of, or if they agree with the notion of minimum alcohol pricing :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

CJC999 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as bad publicity....as they say.
    Wanna bet?:D

Advertisement