Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFW 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Jesus, went and did a 13km run around howth cliffs today, very hilly and very uneven surface. My knees are in A HOOP never happened before. Been icing them since and a lot of foam rolling going on. Please god it's not the end of my race before I even start!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Ran up the sugar loaf tonight, wasn't too bad,had to hike/climb some of it,would be lethal to run in parts

Any idea how it compares to Croagh Patrick???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

pauldoo wrote: »
    Ran up the sugar loaf tonight, wasn't too bad,had to hike/climb some of it,would be lethal to run in parts

Here's the upper part of CP from last year:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

pauldoo wrote: »

Sugar Loaf is fairly similar to CP in the latter stages. Very steep and then loose stone on the way down. It's good for training on

Does anyone know how to get to the far side of the Sugar Loaf, i.e., how to take in the full mountain instead of driving up half it and parking in the car park?

• Advertisement

Basically park at the Glencormac Inn and cross the road heading towards the Sugarloaf. Take the path to the RIGHT, and you'll go by the GAA club. There's a path there that you follow, which eventually skirts around the front of the Sugarloaf.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101606624

I'd recommend coming back down the way you came as it's difficult to find your way down along the IMRA route.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Basically park at the Glencormac Inn and cross the road heading towards the Sugarloaf. Take the path to the RIGHT, and you'll go by the GAA club. There's a path there that you follow, which eventually skirts around the front of the Sugarloaf.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101606624

I'd recommend coming back down the way you came as it's difficult to find your way down along the IMRA route.

Great stuff thanks. Might tackle it tomorrow. Bit late to be doin some hill training but sure better late than never!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭gigantic09

One week to go.Pleasant weather past few days should have dried up the

course a little hopefully.Back to the rain again tomorrow unfortunately but

with bit of luck it wont continue on to the weekend(Ok alot of luck!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah back to rain here (mayo) today.. still il put up with a week of rain if its dry on the day..
    for those of you that have done it before when do race numbers normally go up, cant see anything on the website or do they usually send an e mail hoping to go up as early as possible on thursday and get registration done and out of the way..

woody1 wrote: »
    yeah back to rain here (mayo) today.. still il put up with a week of rain if its dry on the day..
    for those of you that have done it before when do race numbers normally go up, cant see anything on the website or do they usually send an e mail hoping to go up as early as possible on thursday and get registration done and out of the way..

They will put them up on the site closer to the time. Not sure if you can register Thursday but perhaps I'm wrong. If you beat the "after work" crowds coming down registration usually flies in. (unless you get held up at the bike drop)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Ya site says you can reg on thur from 6pm-9pm.Waves are now full apart from the 1st and last apparently.Looks like a good turnout again this year going by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭prunudo

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Did the section from Delphi to Westport yesterday with CP thrown in too..................... Same problem here with no traction when up out of the saddle.

Delphi to CP

CP Up

CP Down

CP to Westport

Cheers bugsy, a lot of good information there, you've got me thinking now should I use my mountain bike with semi slicks or the road racer with gatorskins I've got a lend of.

On a slightly off topic point, how do you find your Specialized Allez road bike with Gatorskins. Was looking at one last week in a shop and also a lapierre, both similar prices. Unfortunately I won't be able to get them before gfw but will use it in future adventure races.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 siobhanb79

Hi guys,
    We will have race numbers online Wednesday night and will be sending final email Wednesday morning.
    Hope all last minute training is going well!
    Gaelforce Team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

This week's rain should help the post kayak bog run live up to it's name and the Skelp descent is likely to be a stern challenge for those attempting to ride it all on road bikes.
    Trail shoes are definitely going to be worth the small amount of additional weight compared to regular road runners.

Waiting on the final entry list before I publish the formguide on msai.ie but with Padraig Marrey looking a doubtful starter having been struck down with a virus recently it looks like the multiple GF winner Peter X may have one less rival though new man on the national scene Tim O Donaghue is flying and is sure to figure prominently if he togs out.

It promises to be a great day out with the largest field of the year taking the challenge.

The race counts as an expert one on nat series with next sport race ( & expert too) being the Achill ROAR on Sept 8th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Skilgannon79

Excuseless wrote: »
    This week's rain should help the post kayak bog run live up to it's name and the Skelp descent is likely to be a stern challenge for those attempting to ride it all on road bikes.
    Trail shoes are definitely going to be worth the small amount of additional weight compared to regular road runners.

Waiting on the final entry list before I publish the formguide on msai.ie but with Padraig Marrey looking a doubtful starter having been struck down with a virus recently it looks like the multiple GF winner Peter X may have one less rival though new man on the national scene Tim O Donaghue is flying and is sure to figure prominently if he togs out.

It promises to be a great day out with the largest field of the year taking the challenge.

The race counts as an expert one on nat series with next sport race ( & expert too) being the Achill ROAR on Sept 8th :)

Can't wait for Saturday whether it's hail, rain or shine so bring it on!!! Paul when you're compiling your form guide if you come across my name make sure you don't confuse me with the noted hill runner Paul Tierney......... I'm the slower, less fit Paul Tierney!

Can't wait for Saturday whether it's hail, rain or shine so bring it on!!! Paul when you're compiling your form guide if you come across my name make sure you don't confuse me with the noted hill runner Paul Tierney......... I'm the slower, less fit Paul Tierney!

Duly noted Skilgannon79 - I think PabloT is probably concentrating his attentions on the UTMB in a few week's time :)

C u down there for some fun racing - weather looking like it will be fairly warm (20deg C) but possibly damp so bitta care needed on Sheffry bike descent.

You doing it yourself excuseless?
    I’ve a new pair of Innov8s to break in between today and Saturday. The Sheffry bike descent should be interesting. Even the tarmac part of that is dodgey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 UncleGobo

Hiya,

I've entered GFW 2012 - the elite (first) group - and I now can't attend it.

If somebody would like to compete and has not yet registered, and
    would like to save themselves quite a few euro, send me a private
    message.

The only inconvenience is that you have to partake under my
    name which is a tiny thing really..

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    You doing it yourself excuseless?
    I’ve a new pair of Innov8s to break in between today and Saturday. The Sheffry bike descent should be interesting. Even the tarmac part of that is dodgey.

Aye - I will be there to give it a lash tho it is a bit short really for a plodder like me so I don't expect to be figuring at the real business end of proceedings!

Good luck w breaking in the new shoes ......................... I did the second half of the Beast w a pair of Columbia Ravenous that I had bought on previous Thursday evening - Breaking in runners by driving down to the race is not textbook stuff but they worked fine as I guess my feet are used to that type of shoe and they are not particularly rigid and I had bought a half size bigger than normal to allow for swelling of feet that occurs in longer races.

Good luck to all competing :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Stuck gatorskin hardshells on my bike yesterday, heading down thursday looking forward to another long tortures day in the west :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

jvan wrote: »
    Cheers bugsy, a lot of good information there, you've got me thinking now should I use my mountain bike with semi slicks or the road racer with gatorskins I've got a lend of.

On a slightly off topic point, how do you find your Specialized Allez road bike with Gatorskins. Was looking at one last week in a shop and also a lapierre, both similar prices. Unfortunately I won't be able to get them before gfw but will use it in future adventure races.

They work fine for me but in fairness I don't do a lot on the bike so I nearly forget what normal slicks are like. The Allez is probably a little bit on the heavy side but its a decent bike.

I'd definitely go for the road nike over the mountain bike for Saturday. The areas where you lose time on the road bike you will see most people losing time & even walking with the bike, regardless of what they are using. As others have said here before, its more how you ride the bike on the rough stuff rather than what you are riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

UncleGobo wrote: »
    Hiya,

I've entered GFW 2012 - the elite (first) group - and I now can't attend it.

If somebody would like to compete and has not yet registered, and
    would like to save themselves quite a few euro, send me a private
    message.

The only inconvenience is that you have to partake under my
    name which is a tiny thing really..
    As far as I know entries are not transferable. It would be a shame to close this thread. So please PM me the relevant details as per the charter. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Wild weather up here in Dublin today, what's it like in Mayo now? I'd imagine the ground will be well sodden by Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 siobhanb79

Weather pity bad today, windy and rainy. Is meant to pick up again tomorrow and be good for Saturday.
    Sure the boggy bits just add to the challenge!
    The Gaelforce Team

The kayak section will be just extended across the bog and into transition if the weather keeps up ;)

Sure the rain might slow down some of the gazelles at the front. I may have to reassess my plans to camp the night before tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

not doing GF this year , good luck to one and all .

from experience anyone who can should register as early as possible either Thursday or Friday . it can take 2-4 hours to get thru registration (last 3 years )drive to Delphi and get away on the Friday evenings .not an overly big deal but if you leave it late Friday it adds to the stress of the weekend.

also zig zag path is your only man on the reek .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 agall

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    jvan wrote: »

They work fine for me but in fairness I don't do a lot on the bike so I nearly forget what normal slicks are like. The Allez is probably a little bit on the heavy side but its a decent bike.

I'd definitely go for the road nike over the mountain bike for Saturday. The areas where you lose time on the road bike you will see most people losing time & even walking with the bike, regardless of what they are using. As others have said here before, its more how you ride the bike on the rough stuff rather than what you are riding.

Just wondering what is the best way to tackle the fire road-out of the saddle or stuck to it, and hope those well inflated tyres will hold?

Normally the idea is to try stay seated and keep weight on the back wheel to stop it spinning out on loose gravel etc. It's possible to pick a decent path up it without too much gravel. Certain points, it's grand to get out of the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

agall wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the best way to tackle the fire road-out of the saddle or stuck to it, and hope those well inflated tyres will hold?

Don't just sit on the bike and peddle. Ride the bike. Float it over any rocks/obstacles.

• Advertisement

Weather is looking good. Clear skies and no rain, with a north wind blowing us back to Westport on the bikes.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Advertisement