Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skerries Road Races

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hope the weather stays nice and sunny and everyone has a safe and enjoyable day.

I wont be going myself,(bit of a flu type bug),soIve decided to spend the dayat home planting flowers in the garden with my missus and daughter.

Be safe everyone and enjoy the racing.:)

PS-Dont forget to bring a coke can and flatten it,or a small piece of plastic or sheetwood,so that you can place the sidestand of the bike on it,and the sidestand doesnt sink into the rain-sodden ground and the bike falls over.

Handy little tip there.;):D

browner85 wrote: »
    would too much rain cancel it ??

Yes,it has happened before on many a road race event.

Clarke of the course has the riders safety in mind all the time and in all weathers too.

Riders will also give feedback to the clarke and marshals,and no road racer is going to go through flooded roads on any bike at any speed.

But thank god the sun is shinning today...(so far).:D

REAL Road racing is pure road racing in rain or shine.
    The racers have balls.

They are also very safety conscious of when a road is just too wet and flooded/dangerous to race on.

It takes big balls and great mental skill/thinking to say no and not race aswell,if conditions wont allow it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

Well there was nothing to worry about weatherwise - it was a crackin' day at Skerries! Fans went home happy and sunburnt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

gipi wrote: »
    Well there was nothing to worry about weatherwise - it was a crackin' day at Skerries! Fans went home happy and sunburnt!!

Understatement of the year..............we were bar-b- q'ed...:cool:

Brilliant day out.....:)

• Advertisement

Results and pics please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

paddy147 wrote: »
    Results and pics please.

NO...............You should have been there........:pac:

Just kiddin...here...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have over 1500 pics from yesterday, will stick them up in a little while lads. Until then flick through these of all the other NORTHEN RACES.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wonda3oy/

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I hope to go this year and am planning to bring a friend who has mobility issues. Problem is I've no car so I guess I'll try the train option. Any advice on walking from the Skerries train station to the nearest circuit point appreciared.

The map in the link above shows the viewing areas and restricted areas. The town (where the train station is) is off the top right of the map (signposted Skerries). It would be approx 25-30 minutes from the station to the Ardla Road, longer if you head for Finnegan's Corner. The best bet would be to head towards Gillie's Leap viewing areas, they'd be closest to your entry point.

Both walks (to the Ardla Rd/Finnegan's Corner, and to Gillie's Leap) are uphill, and as they are both on the track, you'd need to get to your viewing point before racing starts.

I've viewed from Ardla Road, it's fast as the bikers exit Sam's Tunnel. Haven't been on the Leap side, but as the name suggests, it's probably a good viewing point!

• Advertisement

Many thanks GIPI. Great help. So a twenty minute up hill walk from the station to Gillies Leap.....if I read that correctly. Years ago I traditionally viewed from Glasshouses but that's out now with me pushing a wheelchair user. I ll await the press release in a few days for schedule to determine how early I need to go.Txs!!

http://www.loughshinnymotorcycleclub.com/country-crest-skerries-100-press-launch/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Might be worth contacting the organisers to see if there's a designated wheelchair users viewing spot? might have some advantages. Anyway, enjoy it, should be some spectacle!

There is a designated wheelchair user viewing spot, near Finnegan's Corner.

Thanks gipi. But coming by train means I'll have to stick to Gillies Leap as the nearest accessible viewing point walking from the station. Txs again!

Advertisement