Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skerries Road Races

Options
  • 30-06-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Saturday 7th July.

Anyone going heading out this year?

It'll be my first year going, so just wondering if anyone could give a tip for the best place to watch, and how I'd get there from town?

Can't find a huge amount of info on it, but tbh I didn't look that hard. Figured the best place to ask would be here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Hey Nic. Best place to watch is anywhere. I usually do the track, watching races in different spots - Sam's Tunnel, Gille's Leap, Dublin Corner (now renamed Finnegan Corner after the late Martin Finnegan.) You could watch one race from the start/finish line, the next from Finnegan Corner (about 100 metres away but great overtaking spot) then work anti-clockwise. That's just what I do, not telling you that's what YOU have to do. But it's great to see the racing from different vantage points

To get to Skerries, head towards Dublin Airport and go by Swords on the by-pass, follow the dual carriageway until you get to Blake's Cross (you'll see a signpost for Lusk going right and an Esso garage to your left) go into Lusk village and you'll come to a T-junction with a pub on your right, go left and keep going. You'll hit Skerries in about 5/6 miles.

I should be there myself (as will most bikers), I rarely miss Skerries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

They were putting out all the hay bales yesterday,re-painting the start grid and also putting up the 2 grand stands on the start/finish straight yesterday.

Pipz wrote: »
    Saturday 7th July.

Anyone going heading out this year?

It'll be my first year going, so just wondering if anyone could give a tip for the best place to watch, and how I'd get there from town?

Can't find a huge amount of info on it, but tbh I didn't look that hard. Figured the best place to ask would be here.

Word of advice...get there early,especially if the weather is good.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Will be heading up for deffo doing the marshal....but as PKM said, best to start in one spot (any spot) and work your way around.

You are more then welcome to travel with me and smiler to the event....we can hook you up with a place to park (smiler has contacts BIG TIME) ;)

PM if you want to meet up with us on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

Cheers lads.

Unfortunately I'll have to bring the car because I'll be bringing a mate along, and I can't carry him on the bike. :(.

Hopefully I'll see some of ye there, looks like a good day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Is taking public transport out there difficult? I'm on foot at the moment :( It would be great to finally meet you guys too...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cantdecide wrote: »
    Is taking public transport out there difficult? I'm on foot at the moment :( It would be great to finally meet you guys too...

There's a stop close to where they shut the road down for Finnegan's corner. it's 3772, the 33 and 33a go to it, looks like 2 hours:eek:

cantdecide wrote: »

You would be quicker walking it.;)

Or getting a family member or a mate to drop you out to the general area.

Pipz wrote: »
    Cheers lads.

Unfortunately I'll have to bring the car because I'll be bringing a mate along, and I can't carry him on the bike. :(.

Hopefully I'll see some of ye there, looks like a good day. :)

You have my number, give me a buzz or text if you're stuck/lost/unsure. Might bump into you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Paddy147 - the 33 goes to Lusk and it's no more than a 5k walk or you could get the Drogheda commuter train to Skerries and it's a 20 minute ramble up to the hairpin

more info on www.loughshinnymotorcycleclub.com

• Advertisement

Nodster wrote: »
    Paddy147 - the 33 goes to Lusk and it's no more than a 5k walk or you could get the Drogheda commuter train to Skerries and it's a 20 minute ramble up to the hairpin

more info on www.loughshinnymotorcycleclub.com

Walk 5k in 20 minutes???

5k is the distance from O'Connell street out to Artane Roundabout.

You would need to be one hell of a walker to eh "walk" that distance in 20 minutes.

Heading up on Friday to the practice and give a general help out, and pick my spot for the marshal the following day....will hopefully bump into a few of you lot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's a stop close to where they shut the road down for Finnegan's corner. it's 3772, the 33 and 33a go to it, looks like 2 hours:eek:

Hey, whatever you do, don't get off at stop 3772 :D It's 7klms away.

You could get the bus to The Yacht Bar in Loughshinney and it's about 2,5 klms to Baldungan corner

You could get the train to Skerries and it is about 20 minutes walk to the circuit (1.6 klms).Then you could walk back into Skerries Harbour for a few cold ones after the race and get a later bus back to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Fr Dougal wrote: »
    Hey, whatever you do, don't get off at stop 3772 :D It's 7klms away.

:o:o

I took the wrong road out of Lusk on the DB map. I've never pay attention to road names when I know where I'm going.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Del2005 wrote: »

I took the wrong road out of Lusk on the DB map. I've never pay attention to road names when I know where I'm going.

:D Hope you weren't driving a bus.....

Looks like the weather is going to be absolutely shyte for practice tomorrow and very dodgey for race day on Saturday.:(

paddy147 wrote: »
    Looks like the weather is going to be absolutely shyte for practice tomorrow and very dodgey for race day on Saturday.:(

Feck it, what can ya do?? It'll make the racing more interesting of nothing else!!

Yeah, its gonna be a very wet one. I am still heading over tomorrow and sure we see whats what.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Lap records might'nt get broken, but it'll make for closer racing, besides they've wet tyres for wet conditions. Won't stop me heading over :P

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

Place is like a swamp since Thursday. Will be bringing my wellies if I end up going. ^^,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 skippergonzo

Me child of prague is out the back now
    hopefully heading over in the morning
    sams tunnel as usual since i was a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Seen this?
    We have made several changes which you can see on our new map with a view to rider and spectator safety. One area I will draw your attention to is Sam’s Tunnel, the lower end coming from the hairpin to the Ardla road is now a entirely prohibited area and in fact spectators will not be permitted to walk on the road in this section. There will be spectators viewing area in the centre of the tunnel as per the map and to get to this spectators will be directed from the Hairpin up to the Church and across an down by the shady lane.
    Here's a Googlemap in case anyone has trouble finding it underwater... :(

Was there all day today and got destroyed TBH, practise was controlled but most got out for the 5 or so laps......will be there tomorrow from 8am (doing the radios again and smiler is doing flags again) in case of early morning practise. See you lot tomorrow hopefully.

peckerhead wrote: »
    What about this...?

Here's a Googlemap in case anyone has trouble finding it underwater... :(

THAT IS GAS, that is my post!!!

Its far to dangerous TBH, no escape at all as behind the road on that bend is just a ditch to the river. Spectators would have no chance......:eek:

Shame really as its FOOKIN FAST..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Lets all have a bit of an oul pray that the rain stops.........:o

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

would too much rain cancel it ??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

REAL Road racing is pure road racing in rain or shine.
    The racers have balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

REAL Road racing is pure road racing in rain or shine.
    The racers have balls.

just to mention ----> no rain for today... :) see you all in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Sids Not wrote: »
    Lets all have a bit of an oul pray that the rain stops.........:o

IT worked.......thanx lads.......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

Sids Not wrote: »
    IT worked.......thanx lads.......:)

let the racing begin haven been there for years

Advertisement