Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Denis Leamy has taken his first foray into coaching as Clonmel's forwards coach by all accounts.

Was in all the papers two weeks ago that hes going to be assistant forwards coach at Young Munster next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Denis Leamy has taken his first foray into coaching as Clonmel's forwards coach by all accounts.

Wasn't he recently announced as Young Munster's assistant forwards coach?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not aware with any current partnerships with UL, but Sports sciences, mechanical and biomedical engineering would be (some of) the strongest departments in UL.

In UL, the Munster players have access to the elite gym, Ireland's first Olympic sized pool, and all the indoor courts/spaces in the UL arena. There are indoor and outdoor running tracks . There is the current pitch were Munster (and occasionally Ireland) train and its changing facilities outside the arena. There is also the recently opened high-altitude training facility - the only of its kind in the country. There is an all-weather rugby pitch and changing facilities over at the recently opened pavillion.

That's only a quick overview, from someone familiar with the college, of the facilities currently available on site. There are also [URL=" http://www.projarch.com/UL_Arena_Extension-project150.html"]plans[/URL] to extend the existing arena to add new gym space, climbing and pool facilities.

CIT has a good gym, an athletics track, astroturf, and some pitches. It has good facilities, but it shouldn't be able to compete with UL at present. It does have big plans for extension though and depending on when the decision to relocate is made, CIT may become the best option.

I'm a UL grad myself so I'd be relatively familiar with most of the UL facilities.

It looks like both have
    a pool
    running tracks
    gym
    all weather/astroturf pitch
    pitches

It could come down to the quality of the above as they both seem pretty even.

The high altitude facility is a bit mad. I wonder how often they would use it?

I wonder what LIT's bid would be like. Does anyone know if they're planning an upgrade of their facilities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I wonder what LIT's bid would be like. Does anyone know if they're planning an upgrade of their facilities?
    WRT LIT it will have to be a totally new facility as there is no gym in the college. I guess they may put something into Thomond as LIT and Thomond are right beside each other,
    There has been no plans for an upgrade and i dont see where on site in the college they will put in such a facility for Munster Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭phog

I saw a tweet from Ian Costelloe (I think) last night where he mentions someone using it. No idea of the real benefits but it seems they are using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

phog wrote: »

I saw a tweet from Ian Costelloe (I think) last night where he mentions someone using it. No idea of the real benefits but it seems they are using it.

Many top end athletes train or even sleep in them (Thorpe had one in his bedroom iirc). At high altitudes there is less oxygen, so your body produces more haemoglobin to transport what oxygen is there. The idea is when you then compete at normal altitude your blood has more haemoglobin so can bring more oxygen to your cells.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yup I know what they're for I'm just curious as to how they'd fit into rugby training. To my understanding it's mostly endurance athletes who use them as opposed to sports that require explosive strength like rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

It would really only be useful during preseason - other than that it would take too much out of you.

The thinking is changing on high altitude training now - some would advocate sleeping at high altitude (or in a tent) and training at low altitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Yup I know what they're for I'm just curious as to how they'd fit into rugby training. To my understanding it's mostly endurance athletes who use them as opposed to sports that require explosive strength like rugby.

It would be of benefit to them, allow them to retain a high level at the end of games. I would think nearly all sports could benefit from better stamina, except maybe the 100m sprint. You get the same benefit from the drug EPO. Lots of boxers got caught using EPO to cheat and finish stronger in matches.

I was responding to phog who asked what the benefits are, but for some reason my phone insists on multiquoting.

While rugby is an explosive sport, it requires being able to do that for a long period of time so it is an endurance to some extent as well. Increased oxygen levels will help most sports really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I was responding to phog who asked what the benefits are, but for some reason my phone insists on multiquoting.

While rugby is an explosive sport, it requires being able to do that for a long period of time so it is an endurance to some extent as well. Increased oxygen levels will help most sports really.

It would massively help lads looking to bulk up too. It should be a real asset to academy players and during the preseason. Its a pity that it only sleeps 7 people, but it could give us a great advantage if used properly.

It would massively help lads looking to bulk up too. It should be a real asset to academy players and during the preseason. Its a pity that it only sleeps 7 people, but it could give us a great advantage if used properly.

Sleepover!!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

In relation to the CIT V UL debate about which has the better gym facilities, would Munster Rugby not be looking to build their own purpose built gym on site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

In relation to the CIT V UL debate about which has the better gym facilities, would Munster Rugby not be looking to build their own purpose built gym on site?
    No, Payne said before he left that it had been looked at but was a non runner due to the costs involved

Munster use a purpose built gym in CIT at the moment unlike in UL where they use the National Strength and Conditioning Centre. The gym is way bigger in cork and allows much more be done than in UL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

Any chance this whole pointless Cork is better, No Limerick is better, No Cork is better No Limerick, No Cork, No Limerick No Cork could be moved to it's own thread where the trolls from each side can beat each other to death without annoying the rest of us for the next two to three years until the Munster Branch fudge a decision?

touts wrote: »
    Any chance this whole pointless Cork is better, No Limerick is better, No Cork is better No Limerick, No Cork, No Limerick No Cork could be moved to it's own thread where the trolls from each side can beat each other to death without annoying the rest of us for the next two to three years until the Munster Branch fudge a decision?

:confused: I think the level of debate around CIT vs UL has been very good in this thread.

Although it could almost deserve a thread of it own as its a fairly big area of discussion, and will be for a few years more at aleast.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It falls very much under the remit of talk/gossip/rumours of the Munster team so I'm happy for it to go on. So long as it doesn't turn into a pissing contest.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    :confused: I think the level of debate around CIT vs UL has been very good in this thread.

Although it could almost deserve a thread of it own as its a fairly big area of discussion, and will be for a few years more at aleast.

Personally I think its just an extension of the argument that has gone round in circles for years and that the MB firmly kicked to touch for at least two years earlier this week. The arguments may have been vaild for years but my fear is they will be valid for years. I think it should be off on its own thread where people can dip in and out as they wish while still following the more current Talk/Gossip/Rumours.

delete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Sleepover!!!!

:pac:

Did anyone else read this and picture a group of hairy forwards having a pillow-fight in their pyjamas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ormond lad wrote: »
    Munster use a purpose built gym in CIT at the moment unlike in UL where they use the National Strength and Conditioning Centre. The gym is way bigger in cork and allows much more be done than in UL

Have you a vested interest in CIT or something? Your argument has already been emphatically debunked so perhaps you should just leave it at that?

Did anyone else read this and picture a group of hairy forwards having a pillow-fight in their pyjamas?

No. But I have now :mad:

Aidric wrote: »
    Have you a vested interest in CIT or something? Your argument has already been emphatically debunked so perhaps you should just leave it at that?
    No i dont have a vested interest in CIT but im just been pointing out that UL isnt the clear favourite that many here seem to think it is
    How has my argument been "emphatically debunked"?
    We should leave it at that as the same points are going to be brought up soon enough and we'll just be going in circles

Aidric wrote: »

I don't think his argument has been "emphatically" debunked at all. Far from it!

These two press releases when the agreement with CIT was highlights that CIT has an awful lot going for it. It appears to me the only thing they don't have is the high altitude tent/facility.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/23139.php
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/9053.php

"Squad members and coaching staff will be based at CIT's Elite gym which includes a 625 square metres gym area along with video analysis rooms, squad meeting rooms, physio treatment rooms, dressing rooms, offices and recreation area.

Squad sessions will be held on a dedicated training pitch and Munster will also have the use of all of CIT's sporting facilities such as the athletics track.

Part of the co-operation agreement between CIT and Munster Rugby will also see academic development and research into training equipment, as well as strength and conditioning on the sports engineering side."
    ----
    "CIT's Elite gym is fully kitted out for the purpose of team and athlete training in strength and conditioning and is available for CIT sports clubs and CIT Sports Bursary recipients."

625m sq is pretty big, roughly speaking that's a room that is 31m long and 20m wide.

This is a pic of the CIT gym from the Munster press release.
    CIT_Facilities11_Web.jpg

The UL gym facility I presume is the National Strength & Conditioning Centre which is pictured below
    Weights-Room-2-190x111.jpg

Edit: I can't get the pics of the UL gym working very well but you can check them out on the UL Arena website for yourselves: http://www.universityarena.com/v2/gallery-2/gallery/national-strength-gallery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Thanks, CFH. That's the first time I've seen the often talked about CIT gym. Looks like a serious facility. At first glance, it's quite similar to the new facility in Clonskeagh for Leinster. Whatever Munster choose, it's not going to please everyone but will be to the team's benefit in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

How many days in a normal training week leading up to a weekend game do all the Munster players spend together?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭phog

GerM wrote: »
    Thanks, CFH. That's the first time I've seen the often talked about CIT gym. Looks like a serious facility. At first glance, it's quite similar to the new facility in Clonskeagh for Leinster. Whatever Munster choose, it's not going to please everyone but will be to the team's benefit in the long term.

For the life of me I can't see why a training venue has to please anyone but those that actually use it. If Munster feel a one base training venue is what is required then they should go for what suits their needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

The 3 most important factors when it comes to training are work, nutrition and recovery.

So the question really becomes even if CIT has the better training facilities does the difference offset the extra time that could be used for recovery if everything was based in the one place.

I think a lot of people are over emphasising the need for "state of the art" gyms. Truthfully the most over looked things in most gyms nowadays are the 2 of the most basic things in weight training, A free bar and a good bit of space to move.

Actually the lack of a prowler in both pictures in a bit worrying though as it would be one piece of equipment that I think would be very beneficial in Rugby

• Advertisement

Actually the lack of a prowler in both pictures in a bit worrying though as it would be one piece of equipment that I think would be very beneficial in Rugby

I reckon they have it locked up and only take it out when they need it so as not to scare the players ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement