Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Hagz wrote: »
    He seems to be grand. Tweeted yesterday that his head and neck felt good and that the stretcher was, as you said, purely precaution.

It was a stinger wasnt it, not a concussion?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think we need a scrum half who is playing very well and not one who hasn't played since getting one half in the first game of the season.

Agreed. The last thing I want to see is us trying to play a game at home designed to nullify Exeter. They're a big, physical team. We should play with pace and move the ball around. Someone like Boss is best at attacking them in the tight and putting people through gaps around the fringes. They'll slam that door shut. The sort of passing Reddan was giving us in the build up to BOD's try is far more suited. Skip the first defenders, let the carrier hit the hole and get quick recycles.

Even if Boss had played in the past month, I'd want Reddan playing. If we can't try and impose our game on Exeter in the RDS in their first ever HEC match, we can't do it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Joe only seems to pick the physical team ( VDM, boss, Browne) for away games; I haven't seen him do it for home games where we would seek to impose our play on the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

durkadurka wrote: »
    Joe only seems to pick the physical team ( VDM, boss, Browne) for away games; I haven't seen him do it for home games where we would seek to impose our play on the opposition.

This. Leinster, champions for the last two years, are at home against HC rookies. There is no way Schmidt will be dictated to as to what type of teams he picks. Reddan will start and rightly so. He had a cracking game on Saturday. Exeter won't know what hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Agreed regarding Reddan - although I do hope we don't slip into the same mistake the AP sides have made and under estimate this side. Video analysis will be key.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Agreed regarding Reddan - although I do hope we don't slip into the same mistake the AP sides have made and under estimate this side. Video analysis will be key.

I'm glad we're not playing them away. I think Exeter are going to be ridiculously pumped up for the first two weeks of the HEC and throw themselves into the games with gusto. I think Clermont will have a serious battle on their hands when they go to Exeter and there's a packed Sandy Park on a Saturday night. However, I can see them tailing off as the points slip away inevitably and they focus more and moe on the AP. Hopefully, their interest in the competition is over by the time the 6th round arrives.

I'd take a no injury, one score victory right now. We need a clean bill of health and some sharpness going over to Llanelli. I see that as our obvious banana skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

iamjenko wrote: »
    Was saying the same to a friend yesterday... Hopefully we are proved wrong!

If we do have Darce, Drico and Isa coming back into the side then I'm not so nervous. Joe isn't the type to underestimate anyone and I don't doubt the analysis will be done. They will be tougher than a lot of people are giving them credit for, but if we can't beat them at home in their first HEC game then we have no business getting past Clermont.
    GerM wrote: »
    I'm glad we're not playing them away. I think Exeter are going to be ridiculously pumped up for the first two weeks of the HEC and throw themselves into the games with gusto. I think Clermont will have a serious battle on their hands when they go to Exeter and there's a packed Sandy Park on a Saturday night. However, I can see them tailing off as the points slip away inevitably and they focus more and moe on the AP. Hopefully, their interest in the competition is over by the time the 6th round arrives.

I'd take a no injury, one score victory right now. We need a clean bill of health and some sharpness going over to Llanelli. I see that as our obvious banana skin.

Scarlets away is undoubtedly a defining game for the HEC season. Win it and it affords us a little more wiggle room away to Clermont. Lose and we really have to beat Clermont in SMM. I was actually quite happy with some of the attacking play we put together against Munster. If we can build on that this week, and like you say avoid further injuries, we should be in a good place going to Llanelli. And I hope Joe drills it into the lads that we owe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Quick question lads, does anyone know of I'll be able to pick up my supporters pack this weekend? If not, how do I go about claiming it? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Quick question lads, does anyone know of I'll be able to pick up my supporters pack this weekend? If not, how do I go about claiming it? Cheers

Your probably best off sending a mail to the branch. They are pretty good as responding to mails and you'll get a definite answer from them. Given that's it's a HEC game this weekend chances are it will be a bit hectic for them

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/about/contact_us.php

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just a reminder - there's a big day of Rugby this Saturday - after the Exeter game Leinster A take on Leeds in the B&I cup. Kick off is 7pm so plenty of time to get down to Donnybrook. Entry is free for STH's, not sure how much it is others but I'd imagine it's cheaper than a pint.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10456.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Just a reminder - there's a big day of Rugby this Saturday - after the Exeter game Leinster A take on Leeds in the B&I cup. Kick off is 7pm so plenty of time to get down to Donnybrook. Entry is free for STH's, not sure how much it is others but I'd imagine it's cheaper than a pint.

I'm surprised they didn't ask people to bring their boots just incase.

I'd say it'll be a tenner in for adults. I'd hope a good few show up given the timing of it. If we get a good crowd with a few jars in them from the Exeter game we could get a good bit of noise going for the young lads for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Just watching the Munster game again. Heaslip looks to be at fault for Murray's try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

In touch on setanta irl now, its not the breakdown (understatement) but decent

durkadurka wrote: »
    Just watching the Munster game again. Heaslip looks to be at fault for Murray's try.

A little harsh on him but can see where you're coming from. I watched it a few times though and Sexton was the pillar defender. He raises his arm to indicate it and then a red jersey pulls him into the ruck after Heaslip checks that it's covered and comes around. Reddan was there too sweeping and another red jersey had grabbed his arm and held him in place. Impressive cheating, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭DeDoc

is that what happened Ger?
    I haven't watched it since, but my recollection at the time was that Heaslip was the only unbound player by the touchline and moved - i.e. it was his fault (in an otherwise excellent game).

As I say though, I haven't watched it back since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Sexton was on the narrow side initially then Reddan. Heaslip was the last up from the previous ruck. Sexton and then Reddan got involved with the ruck with Donnacha Ryan and Murray nipped in. Heaslip meanwhile had left to go to the open side.

@7.51

Sneaky work by Ryan dragging in the defenders rather than an individual Leinster player failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,748 ✭✭✭✭phog

will ye stop, Sexton and Holland have a tussle and end up on the touchline, Sexton heads around the back of the ruck and stoops down and into the Ruck, Ryan then drapes himself over Sexton. Heaslip is on the touchline when all this is happening and still he decides to leave the blind side without a pillar. He even lays he left hand on Reddans back as switches from the blind side. Blame Ryan if you like but it was Heaslips fault.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Looks to me like Sexton had already been dragged into the ruck as Heaslip was moving off. Hard to tell as we don't really get a good view of it. I'd be inclined to think it was technically more Heaslip's fault, but generally I'd just put it down to a communication foul up and move on.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Looks to me like Sexton had already been dragged into the ruck as Heaslip was moving off. Hard to tell as we don't really get a good view of it. I'd be inclined to think it was technically more Heaslip's fault, but generally I'd just put it down to a communication foul up and move on.

He wasn't dragged into the ruck he choose to get involved in the ruck and then got pinned in there for his troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I really couldn't tell from the clip and haven't watched the game back. You can't tell from that clip and I don't think its relevant one way or the other. He was involved in the ruck, voluntarily or otherwise, a couple seconds before Murray scored. Leinster had opportunity to cover the blindside and failed to do so.

phog wrote: »
    He wasn't dragged into the ruck he choose to get involved in the ruck and then got pinned in there for his troubles.

If he chose to get involved in the ruck after calling himself as the pillar and taking a knee on the line to defend the pick and drive, it's a massive defensive blooper. Given Ryan's proximity and that Sexton disappears into the side of the ruck and we can see that Ryan is lying across his head with his knees still on the line, ready to defend it's clear enough he never intentionally joined the ruck. It was clever play by Ryan.

If he chose to get involved in the ruck after calling himself as the pillar and taking a knee on the line to defend the pick and drive, it's a massive defensive blooper. Given Ryan's proximity and that Sexton disappears into the side of the ruck and we can see that Ryan is lying across his head with his knees still on the line, ready to defend it's clear enough he never intentionally joined the ruck. It was clever play by Ryan.

Put it down to a massive defensive blooper.

perhaps be a bit more supportive of Ryan's actions instead of Heaslip's inactions?

I know if that had been Cullen/Hines doing similar we'd have been lauding the "dark arts" business of the tight.

In any case, Heaslip made a judgement call that Sexton had it covered, and left him too it.

Sexton's one of our best defenders, so probably not an unfair call. What happened after that has nothing to do with Heaslip's call. Possibly should have shoved Reddan to the side too, but hardly a flog-able offence.

The Sun wouldn't call it a blooper btw.

perhaps be a bit more supportive of Ryan's actions instead of Heaslip's inactions?

For Sexton to have been gragged into that ruck you would have to see a hand reach out and grab him. Watch the ruck again, Sexton stoops/bends down into the ruck, my initial thought wa she saw the ball and hoped to get it back for Leinster. After that I've no doubt that Ryan smothered him but to say he was pulled into the ruck is simply wrong.

BTW, Heaslip was still on the touchline when Sexton disappeared into the ruck so he must carry some of the blame for the defensive error.

Do any of you think that Schmidt or the players were talking about Ryan or any other Munster player when they reviewed that try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Definitely don't think Sexton was dragged in. I was sitting just meters away and from what i remember Sexton called pillar while at the edge of the ruck, then got closer and dropped to his knee and started burrowing into the ruck. Seemed like the ball was well lost so I cant understand why but obviously he was closer(and knows better than me) and maybe thought he could get to it albeit from the side

"Jamie, make sure that the blindside is covered in future. Don't rely on the ref or touch judge. You know yourself that pillars aren't always available if the ruck or maul progresses. We work too hard to rely on other people"

"Will do Joe"

"Good man Jamie, now polish those HEC medals up real good"

Fair enough although the evidence is clear enough. I think we can agree to disagree on this one.

Fair enough although the evidence is clear enough. I think we can agree to disagree on this one.

I'm not sure it really matters. It was a rare defensive slip. It'll have been highlighted in Mondays review and the guys will be open and honest enough with each other to hold their hands up where necessary. It shouldn't happen again.

• Advertisement

"Jamie, make sure that the blindside is covered in future. Don't rely on the ref or touch judge. You know yourself that pillars aren't always available if the ruck or maul progresses. We work too hard to rely on other people"

"Will do Joe"

"Good man Jamie, now polish those HEC medals up real good"

I'm sure it went along those lines too :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement