Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingston 128gb SSD from dabs.ie €76.28

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just in case some new people to SSD's...

If your using windows, please turn off all types of Defrag! No really, SSD's have/use there own way sorting where stuff goes and Windows doesn't account for this. It will try to group things together like old style hard drives and that can lead to premature drive failure or blue screen of death.

SSD technology works in a different way and the drives does not fragment as such and so no Defrag ever needed.

Best to disable it more than just turn it off as it can auto kick start in the background when your pc is idle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tbh before I had an ssd I'd hav said that my computer starts porgrams pretty quickly as well and there wasn't much room for improvement.
    trust me on this, there is.

boot was 37 seconds or thereabouts this morning, that includes typing password and opening browser/all those little programs tthat open up when you start windows

I think the problem is that people have all these little programs that start when they open windows, I have a whole custom gui/dock/overlay that loads etc, which takes a few seconds and would be faster on an ssd. Also people never bother to change program settings so that programs don't lauch on start of windows, I'm bad for that heh. But things like chrome etc, it launches before I can let go of the button that opened it. Good launching time! It's a bit slow on a normal hdd, even though I don't bother with a password screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Amazon have the Samsung 256GB 830 SSD now in stock, selling at £153 to ROI buyers.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Amazon have the Samsung 256GB 830 SSD now in stock, selling at £153 to ROI buyers.

Link

What you could do instead is get it for €196 from dabs.ie

http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-256gb-830-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--ssd-basic-kit-819P.html

Then add something to your basket that's 3-4 euro.

Then use the coupon code for €10 off!

http://www.dabs.ie/articles/landingpages/landing-pages/coupons-updates-11650.html?

Drive for €190 plus a free gift! :)

The one on amazon has the adapter bracket and cable so that might be worth the small bit extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 markusd1984

Monotype wrote: »
    What you could do instead is get it for €196 from dabs.ie

http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-256gb-830-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--ssd-basic-kit-819P.html

Then add something to your basket that's 3-4 euro.

Then use the coupon code for €10 off!

http://www.dabs.ie/articles/landingpages/landing-pages/coupons-updates-11650.html?

Drive for €190 plus a free gift! :)

The one on amazon has the adapter bracket and cable so that might be worth the small bit extra.

@Monotype
    Thanks very much, just ordered the Samsung 830 256GB laptop kit for 213€ with the JULY10IE 10€ discount code, yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Kit contains SATA to USB adapter as well as Norton ghost. I'm not sure that that's worth the extra money. A bit expensive for just those two items and you can get cloning software free if you look around.

The adapter should be handy, although you might want to buy an enclosure anyway for your old drive. I would recommend that you do a fresh install rather than cloning if you're going from HDD to SSD.

Advertisement